Anybode else into tuner cars?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Just wondering.. Ever since i got my license when i was 16 cars has been my passion. I'm just curious to see how many ppl here like cars and who drives what? I don't go to that many racing meets anymore.. but i still like to get down sometimes on Sunday nights. Feel free to post some pics.
-My first car i started working. This is after i was done with it. 02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 Speed manual.

-Nissan meet in Colorado Springs.

-Current car - 94 Honda EG6 Hatch with a h22a jdm engine swap from japan and many other goodies.

-Her current look.

-Shot of the motor.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
I don't mind when it's all engine mods. But nobody has ever succeeded in making a sub-$20k econobox look better by adding exterior mods. Even something as simple as rims... people always pick out the most ridiculous, idiotic looking things.
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I die a little inside every time I see a riced out (on the exterior) car. Engine modifications are fine though as long as the owner knows what he or she is doing.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I love em! I think it's far more admirable and economical to modify and build your own car up than to drop obscene amounts of money of a car that isn't even as fast. I would buy a 350Z, G35, or S2000 over a Vette or a Challenger any day.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 insane_metalist

Lol my car isn't ricey. i don't know what all the rice thing was about.

But i totally agree with you ^^^^

I'd get a 350z or s2k over anything american anyday.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Just say no to rice!!!

But a nice drop, clean look, the right wheels and such can make a big difference.

The is my current car. Actually it is someone else's but it is the exact colour, wheels, etc that I have. Mine is just a few weeks old so I haven't done anything to her yet, but I am planning on ECU, exhaust and drop this summer.

ElementOfIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ElementOfIce
Member since 2006 • 336 Posts

Im looking into civics, not only for gas but for the tuning abilities. My car experience is severley limitied. So I figure it would be easy to work with a car everyone knows and eventually move up.

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Domobomb
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

No 'tuner' cars. But yes, cars. I'm actually in the middle of an intake swap right now.

I have the whole top end of the engine apart, need to clean then swap the intake.

Took this pic a couple hours ago.

And I upgraded the entire rear suspension a couple weeks ago.

This is just an 'in progress' pic.

And here I'm taking apart a limited slip carrier and about to swap it into my rear diff. Did this the same time I rebuilt the suspension.

I've done a lot more, but these are more recent.

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Domobomb

Just updating about the intake swap I posted earlier. I finished it yesterday morning.

The rest of the engine is together too. Took it around the block a couple times, checking for leaks.

Haven't really been able to test it to see the difference between this new Performer RPM vs my old Tarantula intake yet though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If I had the money, sure, I'd be into custom-building cars. Would I be into the Fast and the Furious "rice-tuner" scene? Definitely not. I'd prefer to get into either circuit (as in, building my own asphalt track) or rally racing. I went go-karting two nights ago, and hate the fact that it costs money to get into race-car driving... because it is one of my top passions.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Cars, yes. Trucks, hell yes. Rice, no.

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Domobomb

Talking about rice... just look at this. This was at my college a few months ago.

He has a motorcycle muffler bolted on to his quarter panel, lol. He also got a ticket because he's sitting in the aisle way and not parked in a parking spot.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

I hate cars like this

Subtle mods like this I like

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i'm not and i wish most others were not also, everytime i take my wrx out some kid with 150 bucks worth of plastic, some stickers and a coffee can muffler bolted onto his 132 horsepower civic wants to blow past me as fast as it will go.

seriously it's annoying i have almost been sideswiped like 4 times this year.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

i'm not and i wish most others were not also, everytime i take my wrx out some kid with 150 bucks worth of plastic, some stickers and a coffee can muffler bolted onto his 132 horsepower civic wants to blow past me as fast as it will go.

Riverwolf007
My mum who is a bit of a racer when she wants to be drives a Saab 9-5 aero 2.3 hot. The other day a 1.2 punto tried to race and with not much effort he went backwards :P Not surprising considering a Saab aero in 2nd is quicker than a 420hp 911 turbo :D
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 insane_metalist

seriously it's annoying i have almost been sideswiped like 4 times this year.

Riverwolf007

haha, that's funny.. wrxs do that to me all the time.. but no tuned wrx stands a chance really.

about that honda ^^^ that's pretty funny! ima make a poster and put it on my wall :)

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

No I'm not into crappy little foreign cars that sound like buzzsaws with giant mufflers on them.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

If by "tuner" cars you mean this-

Then absolutely not.

However, if you mean this-

Then definitely YES. That's my baby :D It's not really a "tuner" car though.. just a sports car out of the factory.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 insane_metalist

Ha wow everyone has to bring the rice and just cuz there's some riced out hondas doesn't mean all of them are like that. ppl like that just make us look bad.

350z is most def. a tuner. i have few buddies that have greddy twin turbo kits on 350z making 650-785hp.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I don't mind when it's all engine mods. But nobody has ever succeeded in making a sub-$20k econobox look better by adding exterior mods. Even something as simple as rims... people always pick out the most ridiculous, idiotic looking things.Dark__Link
This. If you tune a car for real performance then great, but if you tune it to just look and sound high performance you just look like an idiot.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

Talking about rice... just look at this. This was at my college a few months ago.

He has a motorcycle muffler bolted on to his quarter panel, lol. He also got a ticket because he's sitting in the aisle way and not parked in a parking spot.

Domobomb

WTF?:lol:

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

The 350z is a horrible car, I'm surprised many people like it.

For the amount you spend tuning a car, you could pay 6-10k on a fireblade or a gixxer and whoop a cars ass.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

I'm not car savvy at all, which kind of complicates things since I'd like to one day buy and restore a 72 Pontiac GTO.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hartsickdiscipl

Ha wow everyone has to bring the rice and just cuz there's some riced out hondas doesn't mean all of them are like that. ppl like that just make us look bad.

350z is most def. a tuner. i have few buddies that have greddy twin turbo kits on 350z making 650-785hp.

insane_metalist

It's not a tuner unless you tune it. A stock car is never a tuner. A 350z is simply a Japanese RWD sports car. A Ford Mustang GT with a supercharger is more of a tuner car than a 350z out of the box. Yes, the Mustang is a domestic pony/muscle car, but it's also a tuner once you start working on it. I think people mistakenly think of imports as "tuner cars." They're no more "tuner cars" than domestics with some powertrain/driveline work done to them.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hartsickdiscipl

The 350z is a horrible car, I'm surprised many people like it.

For the amount you spend tuning a car, you could pay 6-10k on a fireblade or a gixxer and whoop a cars ass.

CBR600-RR

Please explain how a 350z is a horrible car.. I'd love to hear it. They're low to high 13-second 1/4 mile cars, depending on year and trim level, do a 5.2-5.8 second 0-60, they handle very well, they're reliable, get decent gas mileage, and most people that I've encountered consider them some of the better-looking cars on the road. They have a very practical sports car interior, a great 6-speed manual transmission, lots of options for the price, and have great power potential (especially the 07-08's with the HR engine). On top of all that, they competed with the Porsche Cayman in terms of performance while they were in production, while costing FAR less.

How is that horrible?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Please explain how a 350z is a horrible car.. I'd love to hear it. They're low to high 13-second 1/4 mile cars, depending on year and trim level, do a 5.2-5.8 second 0-60, they handle very well, they're reliable, get decent gas mileage, and most people that I've encountered consider them some of the better-looking cars on the road. They have a very practical sports car interior, a great 6-speed manual transmission, lots of options for the price, and have great power potential (especially the 07-08's with the HR engine). On top of all that, they competed with the Porsche Cayman in terms of performance while they were in production, while costing FAR less.

How is that horrible?

hartsickdiscipl

The Fireblade would destroy the 350z on everything you mentioned except perhaps reliability

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

Here's my car... '08 SI.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CBR600-RR

How is that horrible?

hartsickdiscipl

inb4 drifted into a tree

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dark__Link

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

How is that horrible?

markop2003

The Fireblade would destroy the 350z on everything you mentioned except perhaps reliability

Except you can't use it in the rain or snow, can't take anyone along who's sane, can't carry any cargo, can't use it as a daily driver, and you're an disfiguring accident waiting to happen. But yeah, other than that....
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CBR600-RR

Except you can't use it in the rain or snow, can't take anyone along who's sane, can't carry any cargo, can't use it as a daily driver, and you're an disfiguring accident waiting to happen. But yeah, other than that....Dark__Link

Rain - yes you can
Snow - spiked tyres if you want to
So motorcycle riders are mentally ill now? :roll:
Cargo - panniers
Daily driver - used to do it all the time to work and everywhere else
The only accident is car drivers not looking carefully enough

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dark__Link

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]Except you can't use it in the rain or snow, can't take anyone along who's sane, can't carry any cargo, can't use it as a daily driver, and you're an disfiguring accident waiting to happen. But yeah, other than that....CBR600-RR

Rain - yes you can
Snow - spiked tyres if you want to
So motorcycle riders are mentally ill now? :roll:
Cargo - panniers
Daily driver - used to do it all the time to work and everywhere else
The only accident is car drivers not looking carefully enough

I didn't mean "can't" in the sense that it's not physically possible... just that it'd be dumb.

No, I never said the rider is insane. But I wouldn't trust anyone with my life but myself.

I meant actual cargo, not a few shopping bags worth of stuff.

Maybe you can get away with it, but to most people it's a second vehicle, for weekends/fun. Not practical in the least.

And right, motorcycle riders can do no wrong. :roll:

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pirate700

How is that horrible?

markop2003

What's you're point? A fighter jet would destroy either. Neither are what we're talking about though. :|

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CBR600-RR

I didn't mean "can't" in the sense that it's not physically possible... just that it'd be dumb.

No, I never said the rider is insane. But I wouldn't trust anyone with my life but myself.

I meant actual cargo, not a few shopping bags worth of stuff.

Maybe you can get away with it, but to most people it's a second vehicle, for weekends/fun. Not practical in the least.

And right, motorcycle riders can do no wrong. :roll:

Dark__Link

Pilots are in control of your life when you are in a plane too, it just depends on the rider really, I trust my friends because they're safe riders.

Most motorcycle riders are genuine and are taught to keep an eye on your surroundings at all times because it's highly likely someone is not going to see you; but summer riders, they're just a disgrace to even call themselves bikers seeing as they dick about all the time.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hartsickdiscipl

How is that horrible?

markop2003

Comparing a motorcycle to a car is ridiculous. You fail because you tried to say that a 350z is a "horrible car," and your justification was that a motorcycle costs less and can outperform it in terms of speed. Well no **** Sherlock.. It's a crotchrocket. I can't believe anybody would really try to compare a car to a motorcycle.. They are completely different experiences altogether. I guarantee you that I had a more enjoyable experience driving my car 1700 miles cross-country than anybody would on a crotchrocket. Doesn't that make a Fireblade a horrible motorcycle? I suppose a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel is a horrible truck because a Corvette is faster? That would work with your logic, right? End of discussion.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CBR600-RR

Comparing a motorcycle to a car is ridiculous. You fail because you tried to say that a 350z is a "horrible car," and your justification was that a motorcycle costs less and can outperform it in terms of speed. Well no **** Sherlock.. It's a crotchrocket. I can't believe anybody would really try to compare a car to a motorcycle.. They are completely different experiences altogether. I guarantee you that I had a more enjoyable experience driving my car 1700 miles cross-country than anybody would on a crotchrocket. Doesn't that make a Fireblade a horrible motorcycle? I suppose a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel is a horrible truck because a Corvette is faster? That would work with your logic, right? End of discussion.

hartsickdiscipl

Of course it would be pretty crappy to do 1700 cross country on a crotch rocket because they're not meant for touring.. now I'd take a Pan European over a car for touring anyday. You can't beat touring on motorcycles.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pirate700

CBR600-RR

Of course it would be pretty crappy to do 1700 cross country on a crotch rocket because they're not meant for touring.. now I'd take a Pan European over a car for touring anyday. You can't beat touring on motorcycles.

You don't seem to understand this thread isn't about bikes...

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts

Why are people talking bout motorcycles... but anyways black on black evo is always the sexxy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaQBzzvaKs

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BMD004

CBR600-RR

Bikes suck. Your bike sucks. Pan Europeans suck. Crotch rockets suck.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]Bikes suck. Your bike sucks. Pan Europeans suck. Crotch rockets suck. CBR600-RR

Your mother sucks, but I'm not going to say which flavour she likes.

Good one. Momma jokes are still around, I see. Is that you in your avatar?

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CBR600-RR

Good one. Momma jokes are still around, I see. Is that you in your avatar?

BMD004

Naturally.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Dear Momma,

Today I learned on Gamespot that the 350Z is a horrible car because motorcycles are cheaper and faster.

Yes, I know that makes no sense at all.

However, I finally get why you couldn't help with my homework because you "didn't understand that new fangled math".

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hartsickdiscipl

CBR600-RR

There are some really nice touring bikes, but you wouldn't enjoy riding one 15 hours a day across 4-5 states as much as a nice sports car. Eventually you'd want the comfort of a car's interior and the ride quality as well. Then when it starts raining you'd really feel stupid on the bike.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CBR600-RR

There are some really nice touring bikes, but you wouldn't enjoy riding one 15 hours a day across 4-5 states as much as a nice sports car. Eventually you'd want the comfort of a car's interior and the ride quality as well. Then when it starts raining you'd really feel stupid on the bike.

hartsickdiscipl

I did a 10 hour ride once, I felt a little achey but I was on a sports bike so I wasn't getting the comfort I needed, it was still enjoyable. I actually love riding in the rain because I got the gear for it; It just depends on the individual I guess.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CBR600-RR

Dear Momma,

Today I learned on Gamespot that the 350Z is a horrible car because motorcycles are cheaper and faster.

Yes, I know that makes no sense at all.

However, I finally get why you couldn't help with my homework because you "didn't understand that new fangled math".

SUD123456

It went off topic, that's all. It's not math. I'll only help you with your physics homework now son.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

only if theyre clean and look relatively stock, tbh.

I really do not like it when they trick it all out visually.

With that said, theyre doing some pretty crazy things with the engine, suspension, etc. and all for relatively modest price, too. It is easy to see why they are so popular.

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Domobomb

Lol, bikes. No thank you!!

Avatar image for JusticeFromSeed
JusticeFromSeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 JusticeFromSeed
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

Classic Muscle is the way to go. Just put a 347 stroker in my 67 Mustang and it sounds so, so good.