Anime art style copied 1930's american cartoon style.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Josh_345
Member since 2006 • 2877 Posts
It is sorta true, even though the similarities are different now. But look at alot of the cartoon characters from the 30's. (the character's eyes and ect) astro boy(a cartoon from Japan) looks really familar. Also, how long will this anime style last? (its getting a little old)
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
how about some comparison pics?
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Josh_345
how about some comparison pics?nickmag
I could do that, I really haven't posted pics on threads, but its worth a shot.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't know mexican...)
heartcork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 heartcork
Member since 2005 • 5514 Posts
Astro Boy started in Japan..
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Josh_345
r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)steppinrazor88
I know, its been around since the 50's. But the art style is getting a little old. They could still continue to make cartoon drama's though.
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts

Noticed that awhile ago .. I tend to hate how everyone says American animation is just Japanese wannabees.  Its the equivalent of a system wars fanboy except in animation form.  I like good shows, not because of specifically where they came from.

steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 steppinrazor88
[QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)Josh_345
I know, its been around since the 50's. But the art style is getting a little old. They could still continue to make cartoon drama's though.

well as long as it doesn't get old before i release my anime before the masses....
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
[QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)Josh_345

Art style, thats like saying that chips get old.  There are sooo many different kinds
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
I think that "anime" style will last quite long actually.. It's very,VERY simple compared to other cartoons and thus makes it very cheap to make. The art style is also becoming insanely popular everywhere else too now because drawing it is so simple, that even the most untalented drawerist can draw it and make it look "ok" at least. :P
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Josh_345
[QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)steppinrazor88

well as long as it doesn't get old before i release my anime before the masses....

You have your own art style?
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
It's the lazy man's design, kind of like computer animation.
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Josh_345
[QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)Def_Jef88

Art style, thats like saying that chips get old.  There are sooo many different kinds

I know there are alot of different kinds, but all anime seems really similar. I think Japan is starting to lose its creativity, especially when the average person in the future will have more possiblities to make shows and video games.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 steppinrazor88
[QUOTE="steppinrazor88"][QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)Josh_345

actually....no...but i'm going to get this girl i took a film and literature class wit to do the drawing...she's really good...she drew a anime pic of me...it was awesome!!! all this is in my blog if you wanna know more.....
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)Josh_345

Art style, thats like saying that chips get old. There are sooo many different kinds

I know there are alot of different kinds, but all anime seems really similar. I think Japan is starting to lose its creativity, especially when the average person in the future will have more possiblities to make shows and video games.

that sounds like a personal problem
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)Josh_345

Art style, thats like saying that chips get old. There are sooo many different kinds

Many places are losing creativity, not just Japan.
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Josh_345
[QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"][QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)steppinrazor88

actually....no...but i'm going to get this girl i took a film and literature class wit to do the drawing...she's really good...she drew a anime pic of me...it was awesome!!! all this is in my blog if you wanna know more.....

Oh, I draw some anime, but it looks different. ( From what I have seen)
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LiquidZ08
Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?Sim_genius

:o didn't you know, all threads in OT repeat themselves eventually.
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Josh_345
[QUOTE="Sim_genius"]Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?LiquidZ08

I did make that thread, but no one responded.
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sim_genius
[QUOTE="Sim_genius"]Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?LiquidZ08

Oh noes!!!! :o
Dasc00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Dasc00
Member since 2006 • 4308 Posts
Copies? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAARHURR Do you know what anime was originally meant for?
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
[QUOTE="Dasc00"]Copies? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAARHURR Do you know what anime was originally meant for?

Uhm, a friend told me it was to hide the fact that japanese actors were so ugly that they instead started making animated shows where they could just draw the actors as pretty as they want. *puts on flameguard**
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Josh_345
[QUOTE="Erasorn"][QUOTE="Dasc00"]Copies? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAARHURR Do you know what anime was originally meant for?

Uhm, a friend told me it was to hide the fact that japanese actors were so ugly that they instead started making animated shows where they could just draw the actors as pretty as they want. *puts on flameguard**

Really lol? HAHAHA (wonder if its true)
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts
I actually read something about this. The guy who did astro boy met walt disney or something and he was enthralled by the art style; so he adapted it and released astro boy in japan. And from there it has transformed to the monster it is today. Not saying anime is bad, its just way too over hyped, and there are too many that are way too similar.
Legacyoftain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Legacyoftain
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts
I did a research paper on this in HS actually....Anime DID get heavy influences from American cartoons (primarily Disney cartoons and Felix the cat of the early 1920/30's) The big eyes and facial structure was used as insipration for many japanese animatiors at the time (infact black people were drawn in the same bigliped ape-like style as old WB cartoons as late as the Dragonball era)  what seperatied the two was the cultural aspect of the respected countries..early WB and Disney cartoons had strong racial overtones (watch early Bugs Bunny cartoons to see the minstrel-esque way in he is portraied) to them where as early Anime cartoons (such as Astroboy) had more political/nationalism overtones...which is why they evolved in very different ways...Anime today has a VERY strong Japanese culture backing to it (I.E. puting the rising sun in the background or somthing like that) where as Loony Tunes built off that minstrel slapstick to produce the classic characters we have today.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
Anime is a form of cartoons. It's been around since the 50's. It's ignorant to say that you A.) Hate every single bit of it, and B.) that it will die out.

Logic, duh.
Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Josh_345
I did a research paper on this in HS actually....Anime DID get heavy influences from American cartoons (primarily Disney cartoons and Felix the cat of the early 1920/30's) The big eyes and facial structure was used as insipration for many japanese animatiors at the time (infact black people were drawn in the same bigliped ape-like style as old WB cartoons as late as the Dragonball era)  what seperatied the two was the cultural aspect of the respected countries..early WB and Disney cartoons had strong racial overtones (watch early Bugs Bunny cartoons to see the minstrel-esque way in he is portraied) to them where as early Anime cartoons (such as Astroboy) had more political/nationalism overtones...which is why they evolved in very different ways...Anime today has a VERY strong Japanese culture backing to it (I.E. puting the rising sun in the background or somthing like that) where as Loony Tunes built off that minstrel slapstick to produce the classic characters we have today.
Legacyoftain
Whoa nice. Thats cool.
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SunJian18
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

[QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="Josh_345"][QUOTE="steppinrazor88"]r you serious??? anime has been around a long time...just not here in the U.S. and it'll NEVER go away!!! Viva la ANIME!!!(does that mean "long live"? i don't no mexican...)zakkro

Many places are losing creativity, not just Japan.

It's not that they're losing creativity, but it seems like everything's been done already.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
[QUOTE="Legacyoftain"]I did a research paper on this in HS actually....Anime DID get heavy influences from American cartoons (primarily Disney cartoons and Felix the cat of the early 1920/30's) The big eyes and facial structure was used as insipration for many japanese animatiors at the time (infact black people were drawn in the same bigliped ape-like style as old WB cartoons as late as the Dragonball era) what seperatied the two was the cultural aspect of the respected countries..early WB and Disney cartoons had strong racial overtones (watch early Bugs Bunny cartoons to see the minstrel-esque way in he is portraied) to them where as early Anime cartoons (such as Astroboy) had more political/nationalism overtones...which is why they evolved in very different ways...Anime today has a VERY strong Japanese culture backing to it (I.E. puting the rising sun in the background or somthing like that) where as Loony Tunes built off that minstrel slapstick to produce the classic characters we have today.
Josh_345
Whoa nice. Thats cool.

Its very true. And yes, there are alot of Japanese artists who draw just like each other, giving off that generic "anime" style, just like there are alot of American and European artists that like each other. The thing is that most the Japanese cartoon shows tend to look the same, while the actual comic books look very different. Same goes for the American/European stuff at times.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="LiquidZ08"][QUOTE="Sim_genius"]Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?Sim_genius

The world is going to end :cry:
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LiquidZ08
[QUOTE="LiquidZ08"][QUOTE="Sim_genius"]Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?Sim_genius

steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 steppinrazor88
[QUOTE="Sim_genius"][QUOTE="LiquidZ08"][QUOTE="Sim_genius"]Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?LiquidZ08

LOL...i remember the kool-aid guy was in like 2 episodes of family guy...it was funny....
TSCombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TSCombo
Member since 2006 • 2957 Posts

Maybe american cartoons should copy 1930's cartoon styles also then.

Josh_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Josh_345

Maybe american cartoons should copy 1930's cartoon styles also then.

TSCombo
Well there was this one Nickleodeon show that did to a point. I wish they would build off from it.
Bidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bidiot
Member since 2003 • 609 Posts
I forgot who it was, but on of the main creaters of Anime did work for disney but was fired becuase they felt he had no skill...I would concur.
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sim_genius
The world is going to end :cry:Bourbons3
[QUOTE="LiquidZ08"][QUOTE="Sim_genius"][QUOTE="LiquidZ08"][QUOTE="Sim_genius"]Didn't you make this exact same thread weeks ago? Or was it someone else?steppinrazor88

LOL...i remember the kool-aid guy was in like 2 episodes of family guy...it was funny....

Didnt you hear?! Teh wolrd's gonna end :cry: *screams like a little girl*
rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#38 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
[QUOTE="Josh_345"]It is sorta true, even though the similarities are different now. But look at alot of the cartoon characters from the 30's. (the character's eyes and ect) astro boy(a cartoon from Japan) looks really familar. Also, how long will this anime style last? (its getting a little old)

i know what you mean. anime IS getting too ..mainstream.