An idea for a new game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyman158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crazyman158
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

So i was sitting in history class today watching an immensely boring video and went off into my mind and started to think of scenarios. I was thinking what would i do if a lockdown happen and a man with a gun came into my highschool. I looked at multiple escape routes and thought the best way would be to go into the back room where a ladder leads to the vents. Then i thought well what if i made that into a game? Then i was like well a game in a small highschool with one small threat is not that fun. Then i expanded it. So heres the main idea. Your just a random kid in a school and your just around your peers business as usual in your RANDOMLY GENERATED big high school that is anywhere from 7-12 stories tall. Now the trick is that the school your in that is randomly generated always has one rule. Since there has been a very high crime rate in your city the school has allowed teachers to carry a handgun if they go through a sanity test and other types of test to be able to carry one. So this doesnt mean all your teachers will have gun. So you can start out in different scenarios. Maybe sitting in class of maybe eating lunch or walking through the halls. Then all the sudden a group of bad people (i dont know what group of bad people they are yet but there will be around 140 of them in total) that charge into the school and kill everyone in sight. The teachers who have guns will be easily be out matched by their rifles. Now your objective is to get out of the school and survive. You are able to interact with almost the whole environment around you. I know most schools have ceiling tiles so if you could align up tables tall enough you could climb through there. Or maybe find a screw driver or another tool and unscrew a vent and use that for sometime. Now, not all the other students and teachers will be dead. There will be a small population of them but they wont be all dead. My idea is that you will be able to find some of these teachers and students and group up. If you're lucky you'll find a teacher who has a handgun. And maybe if your lucky you can walk into a classroom where the dead teacher has a handgun on him. But one thing i want is an in depth ai interaction. So you can easily communicate with the NPCs and make it feel like your talking to a human not a robot. Now the enemies i want to be really hard to gun fight with so stealth is crucial. They are sensitive to sounds and have great aim and awareness. So you cant just gun your way to the front door (which will most likely be boarded up anyway). But lets say you do get caught. Well instead of your first instinct of shooting the bad guy and attracting all the other bad guys, is to run. So your running from him and you try to open the door to a room. Well that door is locked. Instead of having to try another door. You can pull of your gun if you have one and shoot the door knob/lock causing the door to break open. well now the door is open but how do you keep it closed. Well if your lucky if there is a big object maybe somewhat close to the door lets say a bookshelf. You can move the bookshelf in front of that door to buy you some time. Now your in the room now what do you do. Well one thing is that you could climb on top of a desk or table and lift up on the ceiling tile and go up, but with that you risk making lots of noise while up there. Another way might be to open up a vent if there is one and go through there. another strategy might be to go into a room in the class with something heavy like a laptop. Well when the guy does get through you can pop out at him with it and attempt to knock him out. I have a lot of other ideas and mechanics in the game that i'll explain if requested but there's just so much more.

Other key notes:

There are no checkpoints only one life then you have to restart I'd plan on there being multiple difficulty settings to fit your skill and liking's. A lot of bad guys would be outside of the school holding off/stalling/waiting on the police/SWAT to arrive. Trying to go straight to the front door is almost never an option as it will most likely be boarded up and heavily blocked As i said i would want NPC interactions to be very in depth and be able to have groups of people Jumping out a window is not an option because the bad guys would have the full school surrounded and you'd break a limb jumping out so you'd just die I'm not sure of actual ways to escape yet im still figuring that out but im open to suggestions

If you have any questions ask

crazyman158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 crazyman158
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

I would also take any suggestions. Also i actually do plan on actually making this game in the future (im 16 now and i plan on going into the game dev field for college so i'll be making it then or if someone else thinks this is just a great idea and wants to make it (Unreal 4 is probably the best engine for this btw) then go right ahead. I'd like a free copy though :D)

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
  1. This is not the right board for this. In fact, it's the only board on the entire site where game talk isn't allowed..
  2. Learn to format.
  3. Nobody's is gonna read that much text anyway.
Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

This topic would be more fitting for the GD Discussions boards.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i didn't know we couldn't even discuss games' stories here in OT.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:
  1. This is not the right board for this. In fact, it's the only board on the entire site where game talk isn't allowed..
  2. Learn to format.
  3. Nobody's is gonna read that much text anyway.

So...we're not allowed to talk about things slightly linked to gaming in the OT section? Not even ideas about games? Technically, they're not games yet, just thoughts and ideas.

@crazyman158 : This idea remids me of my game ideas I had when I was younger. I always wanted to create a proper game where the action took place in a school, involving my friends and my teachers. Granted, I never imagined on such a grand scale as your idea, but my school was much smaller.

The idea seems kind of rough around the edges: why do teachers carry handguns? Would'nt it be better if there where 10 handguns randomly concealed around the school, e.g one hidden inside the janitor's office, one BB gun duct taped to a toiled in the "little boys room", some kind of ancient WW2 weapon displayed inside a glass cabinet in the lobby, small calibered starting-pistol for running competitions located within the gym area, maybe even a harpoon'ish gun in the swimming pool-area (for those silent take-downs).

-Did you imagine this game being in first-person or third-person perspective? Maybe isometric? Side-scroller?
-Would there be some kind of time limit? What happened when that time limit expired?
-Could there be a multiplayer component? It would be awesome if it had a DayZ-ish multiplayer, where you and your online friends spawn randomly in the school, unable to communicate with each other until you reach the PA system (maybe not such a good idea) and/or find walkie-talkies, writing messages on chalk boards ("Meet me in cafeteria").
-There could be character traits and different scenarios, like a mode that if your caught by these bad guys, they will capture you, take you to the auditorium (where everybody else is held captive). Here you will have to out-smart your way out by maybe using character trait ("jocks" has the ability to rally other jocks for an offensive bumrush, while "cheerleaders" have the ability to manipulate the bad guys and escaping).

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

way too controversial subject matter, I doubt it would get released or made at all... people blame games for violence already so a game actually depicting a school in lockdown glamorizing the action wouldn't even make it at all. It's one thing to have Persona type games, but that's pretty much clear it's all fantasy themed.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@_Judas_ said:

So...we're not allowed to talk about things slightly linked to gaming in the OT section? Not even ideas about games? Technically, they're not games yet, just thoughts and ideas.

Afraid not. Off-Topic is one of the few boards on this site in which ANY topics related to gaming isn't allowed.