Americans Have Little Faith In Scientists

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14170 posts) -

Saw it but didn't post it since I don't trust "HuffPost/YouGov" polls.

#3 Posted by deeliman (2386 posts) -

Saw it but didn't post it since I don't trust "HuffPost/YouGov" polls.

Why do you distrust them?

#4 Posted by Brain_Duster (388 posts) -

Scrutinize everything.

#5 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

It's understandable that they make think that way because they're not actually reading "science journals", they're reading science articles in mainstream journals which really are mostly bunk and useless.

#6 Posted by Master_Live (14170 posts) -

Saw it but didn't post it since I don't trust "HuffPost/YouGov" polls.

Well,

  1. How can you trust a poll you can't see? https://today.yougov.com/news/2013/12/09/poll-results-science/ (joking, or am I?)
  2. HuffPost/YouGov polls respondent come from those who have internet access which can skew the results according to the demographics of those who are more likely to have internet access. Polling organizations like Gallup or The Pew Research Center interview persons using cellphones/ land lines.
#7 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

If America had any faith in scientists we would be a lot healthier

#8 Posted by guynamedbilly (12952 posts) -

I'm sure they are probably talking about global warming and such, but when I think scientist, I think pharmaceuticals and I would be surprised if anyone really trusts them.

#9 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

The poll is based on people who answer phone calls from 800 numbers at 2 PM on a weekday. I wouldn't say that's representative of the general population.

#10 Posted by Serraph105 (27814 posts) -

If America had any faith in scientists we would be a lot healthier

I kinda doubt this, once you make unhealthy food (which is usually far tastier than the healthy alternative) such an accessible option trusting scientists isn't really the issue anymore. Instead the problem is people love to indulge in not only the tasty stuff, but the stuff that is easy to come by.

#11 Posted by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (23117 posts) -

how many Americans actually read scientific journals?

#13 Posted by plageus900 (993 posts) -

I trust in Phil Robertson.

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (87640 posts) -

People aren't supposed to have "faith" in science/scientists. They are supposed to question and investigate their findings to find out that they are in fact true.

#15 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

Because every cancer is individual to the person who has it. No two cancers are consistent in all factors.

There is no 'cure'. There are ways to treat people individually.

#16 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

Never stop questioning your universe. One day scientists are telling you electrons exist in orbits around the nucleus then all of a sudden they are just things dependent on probability that only exist in s and p orbitals. What science says is truth isn't something everyone has to agree with.

in fact it's probably better for science because then it could make scientists strive for better and more refined answers.

#17 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (196 posts) -

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

How's your cure to cancer coming along then?

#18 Edited by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@RadecSupreme said:

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

How's your cure to cancer coming along then?

I don't have millions of dollars as yearly funding nor am I specialized in biology and medicine, but it's fair to say that if the only treatments we have at the moment which we've had for over 20 years are chemo and radiotherapy, then those millions of dollars given to cancer research have gone to waste.

#19 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7740 posts) -

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@RadecSupreme said:

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

How's your cure to cancer coming along then?

I don't have millions of dollars as yearly funding nor am I specialized in biology and medicine, but it's fair to say that if the only treatments we have at the moment which we've had for over 20 years are chemo and radiotherapy, then those millions of dollars given to cancer research have gone to waste.

-Implying that all cancers are the same

-Not understanding the nature of cancer

-Ignoring that cancer survival rates have increased

-Being a dense bundle of sticks

#20 Posted by wis3boi (31110 posts) -

The poll is based on people who answer phone calls from 800 numbers at 2 PM on a weekday. I wouldn't say that's representative of the general population.

considering just about half the country thinks the universe is 6000 years old, they arent far off

#21 Posted by airshocker (29028 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

If America had any faith in scientists we would be a lot healthier

I kinda doubt this, once you make unhealthy food (which is usually far tastier than the healthy alternative) such an accessible option trusting scientists isn't really the issue anymore. Instead the problem is people love to indulge in not only the tasty stuff, but the stuff that is easy to come by.

Didn't scientists say a certain type of oil we cook our food in was bad and then when almost the entire nation adopted a different oil as the standard it was shown to be worse than the one we were using?

On topic. I don't exactly distrust scientists but I believe everyone has a motive. It's hard to believe anybody is actually looking out for me when everything is so politicized.

#22 Edited by killzowned24 (7298 posts) -

It is surprising since America dominates the world in science.

#23 Edited by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@RadecSupreme said:

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@RadecSupreme said:

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

How's your cure to cancer coming along then?

I don't have millions of dollars as yearly funding nor am I specialized in biology and medicine, but it's fair to say that if the only treatments we have at the moment which we've had for over 20 years are chemo and radiotherapy, then those millions of dollars given to cancer research have gone to waste.

-Implying that all cancers are the same

-Not understanding the nature of cancer

-Ignoring that cancer survival rates have increased

-Being a dense bundle of sticks

>I ever said all cancers are the same

>I dont understand the nature of cancer and it changes nothing in this discussion

>Survival rates matter at all when discussion the same 2 archaic treatments used since forever

>Using insults because you have no proper arguing skills. Bye Bye

Here, educate yourself. http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/02/07/where_do_the_millions_of_cancer_research_dollars_go_every_year.html

#24 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@huggybear1020 said:

The poll is based on people who answer phone calls from 800 numbers at 2 PM on a weekday. I wouldn't say that's representative of the general population.

considering just about half the country thinks the universe is 6000 years old, they arent far off

Time is relative. We base "time" on how the earth moves. The universe has no beginning or end, so on a universal level, time is meaningless. Any arbitrary number on the age of the universe is patently false.

#25 Posted by wis3boi (31110 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@huggybear1020 said:

The poll is based on people who answer phone calls from 800 numbers at 2 PM on a weekday. I wouldn't say that's representative of the general population.

considering just about half the country thinks the universe is 6000 years old, they arent far off

Time is relative. We base "time" on how the earth moves. The universe has no beginning or end, so on a universal level, time is meaningless. Any arbitrary number on the age of the universe is patently false.

i think my comment went over your head or youre being purposefulyl dense

#26 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (196 posts) -

@RadecSupreme: The point here is that cancer is not easy to cure by any means at all. If it was, we would've found the cure already.

#27 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23500 posts) -

they don't believe in it because it a trick by the debbil!

#28 Posted by mattbbpl (10570 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

@playmynutz said:

If America had any faith in scientists we would be a lot healthier

I kinda doubt this, once you make unhealthy food (which is usually far tastier than the healthy alternative) such an accessible option trusting scientists isn't really the issue anymore. Instead the problem is people love to indulge in not only the tasty stuff, but the stuff that is easy to come by.

Didn't scientists say a certain type of oil we cook our food in was bad and then when almost the entire nation adopted a different oil as the standard it was shown to be worse than the one we were using?

On topic. I don't exactly distrust scientists but I believe everyone has a motive. It's hard to believe anybody is actually looking out for me when everything is so politicized.

It seems you're mixing up two different situations here in your text: Additional information achieved at a later date (through additional testing in the case of trans fats, which is what I assume you're referring to), and willful misinformation by the scientific community at large (which seems to be your allusion in your second paragraph).

There will always flawed or incomplete information that is later corrected or made more robust as we build out scientific knowledge base, but to use that as a basis for mistrusting the scientific community at large (at least to point of ignoring evidence for things like evolution, the age of the Earth, and climate change as many do) is rather absurd.

Society should be skeptical of the scientific community in that peers should continue to gather information and reevaluate scientific conclusions against the new data (that's, after all, what furthers scientific knowledge), but I fear that's not what most of these people are referring to.

#29 Posted by The-Apostle (12166 posts) -

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

#30 Edited by MrXboxOne (742 posts) -

Science is a wonderfully beautiful thing. Every living being should love science. No matter what your religious belief is, you should love and care about science. Science has done a great many thing for man.

#31 Posted by lostrib (34332 posts) -

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

...shocking

#32 Edited by The-Apostle (12166 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

...shocking

I know, right? >_>

#33 Posted by ad1x2 (5503 posts) -

While some you are probably thinking their mistrust is based on anti-science religious beliefs, in all reality it probably has less to do with religion and more to do with basic distrust with the government. After all, there are people out there who think the government created AIDS to kill black people and homosexuals, people who think we already cured so called incurable diseases and hold back the cure from public use so Big Pharma can profit from lifelong treatment of sick people, and more.

#34 Edited by dave123321 (33771 posts) -

@ad1x2: don't be afraid of the gov so much

#35 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17139 posts) -

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

#36 Posted by joehult (363 posts) -

For a couple million I would also sign off on the benefits of hfcs. Science became a farce back in the 70s.

#37 Posted by ad1x2 (5503 posts) -

@ad1x2: don't be afraid of the gov so much

Why would I be? I work for them.

I'm just repeating some of the conspiracy theories out there that make people distrust what they are told by Uncle Sam.

#38 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13995 posts) -

I trust in science that has a lot of support and public documents to back it up. I do lots of Science reading, and just reading listed facts about things does not cut it without any depth. Right now I have a lot of faith in Graphene tech and very excited to see how much the world will change with faster computers to calculate things.

#39 Posted by The-Apostle (12166 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

#40 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17139 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

#41 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

#42 Posted by one_plum (6344 posts) -

That's because we have yet to have flying cars like the 80s promised.

#43 Posted by ad1x2 (5503 posts) -

@one_plum: Funny thing is even if we had the technology to have flying cars I can almost guarantee that 9/11 would be cause enough for the government to ban them. Especially with the whole packing it full of explosives and crashing it into a government building possibility.

#44 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17139 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

These "alternative views" you speak of are views that essentially deny basic facts of life that we as a species have discovered over thousands of years of existence. These things aren't just taught in school because they make for good stories, they are taught because mankinds endless quest for knowledge has taught us that these things are true.

So yes, I consider people posing such views to be pretty damn stupid and I think they need to be told just how damn stupid they are.

#45 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

These "alternative views" you speak of are views that essentially deny basic facts of life that we as a species have discovered over thousands of years of existence. These things aren't just taught in school because they make for good stories, they are taught because mankinds endless quest for knowledge has taught us that these things are true.

So yes, I consider people posing such views to be pretty damn stupid and I think they need to be told just how damn stupid they are.

They are taught in schools to brainwash people into believing stuff that are not true so our leaders are able to control us easily. Evolution is one big hoax just like Global warming, 9/11 ect. Evolution theory was used to systematicly to destroy Christianity, and hide our real origins. Its like people pretend that there wasn't much more advanced civilizations before us. Nothing is true, what make something fact? I consider people stupid if they don't look at alternative views and have a believe system so that their minds can't be changed when evidence disproves their believes, or they don't question everything. They just look to one source of information. Nothing is true everything is permitted!

#46 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17139 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

These "alternative views" you speak of are views that essentially deny basic facts of life that we as a species have discovered over thousands of years of existence. These things aren't just taught in school because they make for good stories, they are taught because mankinds endless quest for knowledge has taught us that these things are true.

So yes, I consider people posing such views to be pretty damn stupid and I think they need to be told just how damn stupid they are.

They are taught in schools to brainwash people into believing stuff that are not true so our leaders are able to control us easily. Evolution is one big hoax just like Global warming, 9/11 ect. Evolution theory was used to systematicly to destroy Christianity, and hide our real origins. Its like people pretend that there wasn't much more advanced civilizations before us. Nothing is true, what make something fact? I consider people stupid if they don't look at alternative views and have a believe system so that their minds can't be changed when evidence disproves their believes, or they don't question everything. They just look to one source of information. Nothing is true everything is permitted!

God please be trolling...

#47 Edited by The-Apostle (12166 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

These "alternative views" you speak of are views that essentially deny basic facts of life that we as a species have discovered over thousands of years of existence. These things aren't just taught in school because they make for good stories, they are taught because mankinds endless quest for knowledge has taught us that these things are true.

So yes, I consider people posing such views to be pretty damn stupid and I think they need to be told just how damn stupid they are.

They are taught in schools to brainwash people into believing stuff that are not true so our leaders are able to control us easily. Evolution is one big hoax just like Global warming, 9/11 ect. Evolution theory was used to systematicly to destroy Christianity, and hide our real origins. Its like people pretend that there wasn't much more advanced civilizations before us. Nothing is true, what make something fact? I consider people stupid if they don't look at alternative views and have a believe system so that their minds can't be changed when evidence disproves their believes, or they don't question everything. They just look to one source of information. Nothing is true everything is permitted!

9/11 a hoax? Really? Care to explain where the Twin Towers are?