Americans Have Little Faith In Scientists

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

How much faith do Americans have in scientists and science journalists? Not a whole lot, a new survey finds.In a new HuffPost/YouGov poll, only 36 percent of Americans reported having "a lot" of trust that information they get from scientists is accurate and reliable. Fifty-one percent said they trust that information only a little, and another 6 percent said they don't trust it at all.

I'm honestly kind of surprised the number of people who trust them is that low.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Saw it but didn't post it since I don't trust "HuffPost/YouGov" polls.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Why do you distrust them?

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Scrutinize everything.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It's understandable that they make think that way because they're not actually reading "science journals", they're reading science articles in mainstream journals which really are mostly bunk and useless.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Well,

1. How can you trust a poll you can't see? https://today.yougov.com/news/2013/12/09/poll-results-science/ (joking, or am I?)
  2. HuffPost/YouGov polls respondent come from those who have internet access which can skew the results according to the demographics of those who are more likely to have internet access. Polling organizations like Gallup or The Pew Research Center interview persons using cellphones/ land lines.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

If America had any faith in scientists we would be a lot healthier

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I'm sure they are probably talking about global warming and such, but when I think scientist, I think pharmaceuticals and I would be surprised if anyone really trusts them.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

The poll is based on people who answer phone calls from 800 numbers at 2 PM on a weekday. I wouldn't say that's representative of the general population.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@playmynutz said:

I kinda doubt this, once you make unhealthy food (which is usually far tastier than the healthy alternative) such an accessible option trusting scientists isn't really the issue anymore. Instead the problem is people love to indulge in not only the tasty stuff, but the stuff that is easy to come by.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

how many Americans actually read scientific journals?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I trust in Phil Robertson.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

People aren't supposed to have "faith" in science/scientists. They are supposed to question and investigate their findings to find out that they are in fact true.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

Well no shit people have little faith in scientists. They have had 20 years of millions of dollars of funding and they have yet to cure most of the deadly cancers.

Because every cancer is individual to the person who has it. No two cancers are consistent in all factors.

There is no 'cure'. There are ways to treat people individually.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Never stop questioning your universe. One day scientists are telling you electrons exist in orbits around the nucleus then all of a sudden they are just things dependent on probability that only exist in s and p orbitals. What science says is truth isn't something everyone has to agree with.

in fact it's probably better for science because then it could make scientists strive for better and more refined answers.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

How's your cure to cancer coming along then?

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RadecSupreme

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@RadecSupreme said:

I don't have millions of dollars as yearly funding nor am I specialized in biology and medicine, but it's fair to say that if the only treatments we have at the moment which we've had for over 20 years are chemo and radiotherapy, then those millions of dollars given to cancer research have gone to waste.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@RadecSupreme said:

I don't have millions of dollars as yearly funding nor am I specialized in biology and medicine, but it's fair to say that if the only treatments we have at the moment which we've had for over 20 years are chemo and radiotherapy, then those millions of dollars given to cancer research have gone to waste.

-Implying that all cancers are the same

-Not understanding the nature of cancer

-Ignoring that cancer survival rates have increased

-Being a dense bundle of sticks

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

The poll is based on people who answer phone calls from 800 numbers at 2 PM on a weekday. I wouldn't say that's representative of the general population.

considering just about half the country thinks the universe is 6000 years old, they arent far off

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@playmynutz said:

I kinda doubt this, once you make unhealthy food (which is usually far tastier than the healthy alternative) such an accessible option trusting scientists isn't really the issue anymore. Instead the problem is people love to indulge in not only the tasty stuff, but the stuff that is easy to come by.

Didn't scientists say a certain type of oil we cook our food in was bad and then when almost the entire nation adopted a different oil as the standard it was shown to be worse than the one we were using?

On topic. I don't exactly distrust scientists but I believe everyone has a motive. It's hard to believe anybody is actually looking out for me when everything is so politicized.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

It is surprising since America dominates the world in science.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RadecSupreme

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@RadecSupreme said:

@EnoshimaJunko said:

@RadecSupreme said:

-Implying that all cancers are the same

-Not understanding the nature of cancer

-Ignoring that cancer survival rates have increased

-Being a dense bundle of sticks

>I ever said all cancers are the same

>I dont understand the nature of cancer and it changes nothing in this discussion

>Survival rates matter at all when discussion the same 2 archaic treatments used since forever

>Using insults because you have no proper arguing skills. Bye Bye

Here, educate yourself. http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/02/07/where_do_the_millions_of_cancer_research_dollars_go_every_year.html

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@huggybear1020 said:

considering just about half the country thinks the universe is 6000 years old, they arent far off

Time is relative. We base "time" on how the earth moves. The universe has no beginning or end, so on a universal level, time is meaningless. Any arbitrary number on the age of the universe is patently false.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

@wis3boi said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Time is relative. We base "time" on how the earth moves. The universe has no beginning or end, so on a universal level, time is meaningless. Any arbitrary number on the age of the universe is patently false.

i think my comment went over your head or youre being purposefulyl dense

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

@RadecSupreme: The point here is that cancer is not easy to cure by any means at all. If it was, we would've found the cure already.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

they don't believe in it because it a trick by the debbil!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

@playmynutz said:

Didn't scientists say a certain type of oil we cook our food in was bad and then when almost the entire nation adopted a different oil as the standard it was shown to be worse than the one we were using?

On topic. I don't exactly distrust scientists but I believe everyone has a motive. It's hard to believe anybody is actually looking out for me when everything is so politicized.

It seems you're mixing up two different situations here in your text: Additional information achieved at a later date (through additional testing in the case of trans fats, which is what I assume you're referring to), and willful misinformation by the scientific community at large (which seems to be your allusion in your second paragraph).

There will always flawed or incomplete information that is later corrected or made more robust as we build out scientific knowledge base, but to use that as a basis for mistrusting the scientific community at large (at least to point of ignoring evidence for things like evolution, the age of the Earth, and climate change as many do) is rather absurd.

Society should be skeptical of the scientific community in that peers should continue to gather information and reevaluate scientific conclusions against the new data (that's, after all, what furthers scientific knowledge), but I fear that's not what most of these people are referring to.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

Science is a wonderfully beautiful thing. Every living being should love science. No matter what your religious belief is, you should love and care about science. Science has done a great many thing for man.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

Meh... I would've answered with the majority on the poll so good for the majority. :D

...shocking

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The-Apostle
@lostrib said:

@The-Apostle said:

...shocking

I know, right? >_>

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

While some you are probably thinking their mistrust is based on anti-science religious beliefs, in all reality it probably has less to do with religion and more to do with basic distrust with the government. After all, there are people out there who think the government created AIDS to kill black people and homosexuals, people who think we already cured so called incurable diseases and hold back the cure from public use so Big Pharma can profit from lifelong treatment of sick people, and more.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@ad1x2: don't be afraid of the gov so much

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

For a couple million I would also sign off on the benefits of hfcs. Science became a farce back in the 70s.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ad1x2

@dave123321 said:

@ad1x2: don't be afraid of the gov so much

Why would I be? I work for them.

I'm just repeating some of the conspiracy theories out there that make people distrust what they are told by Uncle Sam.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I trust in science that has a lot of support and public documents to back it up. I do lots of Science reading, and just reading listed facts about things does not cut it without any depth. Right now I have a lot of faith in Graphene tech and very excited to see how much the world will change with faster computers to calculate things.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The-Apostle

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

you're self centered on top of being fucking stupid, nobody gives two shits about what you think.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make him stupid... >_>

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LostProphetFLCL

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

actually when they disagree with me and says stupid things, like you saying evolution is rubbish, it makes you stupid. You say stupid things all the time. People call you on it all the time but you don't seem to put 2 and 2 together.

going on welfare while opposing others using it makes you a selfish scummy person.

In this case, I'd say that it is just indicative of a mental disability - i.e., the one he was on disability pay for.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

That's because we have yet to have flying cars like the 80s promised.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ad1x2

@one_plum: Funny thing is even if we had the technology to have flying cars I can almost guarantee that 9/11 would be cause enough for the government to ban them. Especially with the whole packing it full of explosives and crashing it into a government building possibility.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LostProphetFLCL

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

No your just a closed minded fool who is unable to look at alternative views and the bigger picture, a drone. Herp fucking derp he is disagreeing what Iv been taught at school, so he's stupid!

These "alternative views" you speak of are views that essentially deny basic facts of life that we as a species have discovered over thousands of years of existence. These things aren't just taught in school because they make for good stories, they are taught because mankinds endless quest for knowledge has taught us that these things are true.

So yes, I consider people posing such views to be pretty damn stupid and I think they need to be told just how damn stupid they are.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

These "alternative views" you speak of are views that essentially deny basic facts of life that we as a species have discovered over thousands of years of existence. These things aren't just taught in school because they make for good stories, they are taught because mankinds endless quest for knowledge has taught us that these things are true.

So yes, I consider people posing such views to be pretty damn stupid and I think they need to be told just how damn stupid they are.

They are taught in schools to brainwash people into believing stuff that are not true so our leaders are able to control us easily. Evolution is one big hoax just like Global warming, 9/11 ect. Evolution theory was used to systematicly to destroy Christianity, and hide our real origins. Its like people pretend that there wasn't much more advanced civilizations before us. Nothing is true, what make something fact? I consider people stupid if they don't look at alternative views and have a believe system so that their minds can't be changed when evidence disproves their believes, or they don't question everything. They just look to one source of information. Nothing is true everything is permitted!

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LostProphetFLCL

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

They are taught in schools to brainwash people into believing stuff that are not true so our leaders are able to control us easily. Evolution is one big hoax just like Global warming, 9/11 ect. Evolution theory was used to systematicly to destroy Christianity, and hide our real origins. Its like people pretend that there wasn't much more advanced civilizations before us. Nothing is true, what make something fact? I consider people stupid if they don't look at alternative views and have a believe system so that their minds can't be changed when evidence disproves their believes, or they don't question everything. They just look to one source of information. Nothing is true everything is permitted!

God please be trolling...

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The-Apostle

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ultimate-k said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@The-Apostle said:

9/11 a hoax? Really? Care to explain where the Twin Towers are?