Ambiguity and Creativity

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

I would like to discuss this topic. Although I'm not sure what to call it.

Ambiguity and Creativity ? Was the best I could do.

I don't really know how to start.

But it seems to make sense in my head.

The world works in right and wrongs which could be considered as two colours: White and Black.

But Humans tend to cause a blur between the two causing it to become grey, making it hard to distinguish what is right or wrong. For example with questions like: "Is it always wrong to lie ?" ( This question in itself is ambiguous. Referring to morals/beliefs and Justice/Mercy )

I recently played Spec Ops: The Line which I thought had one of the best stories ever and that morally challenged the player to the point where you actually had to question why you are playing the game.

The reason why I'm saying that Creativity comes from ambiguity is that people dislike that which does not make sense or is vague and then try to disambiguate. Language also tries to stray as from ambiguity as possible and in old languages like French or Chinese ambiguity is less present but relies heavily on context. Language, Music, Art and of course Games.

How would you answer this question ?

Is lying always wrong ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Did this make sense at all ?

_____-_-_____

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

It seems like you where asking if morally grey is better than "absolute" for an engaging story. Or something along those lines. It was abit rambly and big wordy rather than concise.

Arguably the best star trek episodes made "In The Pale Moonlight" which is absolutely morally grey and totally contradictory to Gene Roddenberry's black and white utopian vision of right and wrong. Flawed characters in difficult situations make for great story.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts