Am I using a keyboard to much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

This going sound kindred weird but have you ever know how to type a word but you when you try to write it on a piece of paper you don't know how to spell it

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, sometimes you can get lazy knowing that the spell check will be there to help you if you screw up.

Just have a dictionary at hand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Yeah, I don't think that's a typing problem, more of a reliance on spell-check like Master said. If you don't know how to spell a word when you're writing it you also don't know how to spell it when you're typing, but I bet you're not looking at the screen when you type so you don't even see that you weren't the one who got the spelling right =P

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Happens to me all the time, even with the simplest of words

I think it's just the speed at which you can type with a keyboard that's throwing you off. If you type with any regularity, chances are you've learned to touch type, which means you're no longer looking at which keys you're pressing; the words just form naturally. You don't have to think about what you're spelling because you subconsciously know how they're spelled. Whereas when you're writing longhand, you have to write each individual letter, which slows you down considerably, making you stop and think more about whether you're spelling the word correctly or not since you're spending more time examining each and every letter you write. Don't have to worry about that on a keyboard because you can type faster than you can write by hand (and, of course, because of spell check). Should be easily able to overcome it by writing longhand more often.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@ryanweinmann said:

This going sound kindred weird but have you ever know how to type a word but you when you try to write it on a piece of paper you don't know how to spell it

Perfect