Am I the only one that thinks the black panther movie looks bad?

• 121 results
N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

The trailers make it look like a rap video.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

The trailer makes it look like it's trying hard to be badass. Hopefully the actual movie realizes how goofy it is and has some fun with it.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD

@stormcast said:

The trailer makes it look like it's trying hard to be badass. Hopefully the actual movie realizes how goofy it is and has some fun with it.

I hope so. I was hoping for an awesome classy approach. The trailer was pure shit.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56311 Posts

You're kidding, right? Damn near every single Black person is hyped for this film. Tickets went on sale a few weeks ago and I know of several groups that have either rented out theaters for this or have group events planned to go see it in mass. As for marketing, it's as high as it is and Black Panther introduction in Civil War was so impressive, everyone I know is looking forward to his standalone movie and this is Marvel were talking about.

This movie is going to sell and sell big! It's got most every big name young Black actors and actress in it, it's opening in Black History Month, and it's the first big marketed black superhero movie. If Hancock and Blade series did well, this is going to sell HUGE!!! Can easily see this movie being a top grosser behind Infinity War this year and I'm hype for Black Panther since that Infinity War trailer got me hungry for anything Marvel film this year.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

@n64dd said:
@stormcast said:

I hope so. I was hoping for an awesome classy approach. The trailer was pure shit.

The trailer is pure shit, I agree. The soundtrack was put together by Kendrick Lamar, another overhyped hip hop artist who people are convinced is the next Kanye (like that is a good thing?). The whole mashed-up "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", originally a really awesome commentary by Gil Scot-Heron, came off as a blatant cash-in on civil rights. It almost feels like blackspoitation by black people.

With that said, I would like to see the movie. I think it's going to have too much CGI, but Chadwick Boseman is damn awesome (watch "Message from the King" on Netflix if you have it) and I do love the Marvel movies for the most part.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19660 Posts

Much of the hype for Black Panther dates back to Captain America: Civil War, which was the best MCU movie. Despite having a big star cast of superheroes, Black Panther outshined them all, turning out to the best character in the movie. That alone makes Black Panther's standalone movie worth looking forward to.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59236 Posts

Yea, looked abit shit to me. Andy Serkis is great though and was wasted. So probably watch for him.

I guess it's good it's African focused than a bunch of white guys? But honestly, couldn't give a shit either way, as long as the movie itself is good.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By N64DD

@Jag85 said:

Much of the hype for Black Panther dates back to Captain America: Civil War, which was the best MCU movie. Despite having a big star cast of superheroes, Black Panther outshined them all, turning out to the best character in the movie. That alone makes Black Panther's standalone movie worth looking forward to.

I won't argue there.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I almost have expected OP to say the trailer looked too Urban.

With that said I had no problem with the trailer I thought the action in it looked stylish and the characters and costumes looked good.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

If N64DD claims to not want to see it, it usually means he does want to see it but it also means I am absolutely going to check it ou

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD

@360ru13r said:

With that said I had no problem with the trailer I thought the action in it looked stylish and the characters and costumes looked good.

?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Marvel movies are okay popcorn movies............but they are over rated. Nonetheless I will probably go see it in theaters.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt

@n64dd said:
@360ru13r said:

?

'could have been my son'

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8447 Posts

Nah, the movie looks awesome. And to make odds even better for Black Panther being a good movie, the director already made two amazing films, Creed and Fruitvale Station.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt

I read the OP wrong, I thought it was a movie about The Black Panthers.

no...its just a super hero movie where the characters are black and the music is 'black' and that triggered N64DD

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

Sorry, but this movie doesn't look good at all. Despite what people think, Marvel isn't cranking out home runs with everything they make. The Thor movies were all pretty bad, the first Captain America was pretty bad, the two Iron Man sequels weren't as good as the original and the sequel to the Avengers wasn't as good as the original either. Still though, some of these movies still managed to find a moderate amount of success, but I don't think that this is going to be the case with Black Panther.

For starters, Black Panther isn't a character who casual comic book fans are very familiar with so it has that working against it. Second, the trailers are usually very telling and since the trailer is pretty bad, it makes my expectations for this movie pretty low. That being said, I have been proved wrong before with Ant-Man, but neither this character or movie really interest me.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Gotta diagree. Looks great! Jordan as an antagonist was also a great casting call.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

@n64dd: Don't worry about it.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@stormcast said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Marvel movies are okay popcorn movies............but they are over rated. Nonetheless I will probably go see it in theaters.

@n64dd said:

The trailers make it look like a rap video.

Over rated, somewhat, but they are entertaining

Yes, i too hope they have some fun with it, as a total serious movie will kill it.

Rap Video ? Lol .. Um, i don't know any rap video with million dollar graphics and costumes.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Nah, there are a bunch of people over on the Stormfront forums who agree with you.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TryIt

@theone86 said:

Nah, there are a bunch of people over on the Stormfront forums who agree with you.

I am going to buy tickets to this movie and then just go home.

why? because the whole black thing is pissing so many people off

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

LOL, would if I had the money. I'd actually have gone to see it the first day anyway, but it's probably sold out by now and I hate crowded theaters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

mlk would be proud

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 theone86

@stormcast said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

mlk would be proud

Most definitely.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Looking forward to this movie - minus the rap music/songs. :P

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

@shellcase86 said:

Gotta diagree. Looks great! Jordan as an antagonist was also a great casting call.

what?? Jordan can't hold a candle to the lead guy Chadwick, there were so many others that could have done creed jr better too, but for whatever reason they picked him

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@multiplat:

All I know is Jordan was in The Wire, that's good enough for me. Anybody involved with that brilliant show deserves kudos, even if he was just a kid.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Trailers look great, so I'm not seeing what all the commotion is all about?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I had no interest in the character or seeing the movie at all. But the first trailer made me want to... Haven't seen the latest ones yet though.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@360ru13r said:

Gamespot actually described the Luke Cage series as the upcoming "urban" superhero series. Because as we know, Daredevil and Jessica Jones both took place in rural Wyoming.

-Byshop

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VFighter

@Byshop: If you can't see the differences between the settings in JJ and LG...well I really don't know what to say other then you're blind and deaf?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

@vfighter said:

@Byshop: If you can't see the differences between the settings in JJ and LG...well I really don't know what to say other then you're blind and deaf?

*than

And I'm not sure what your point is relative to my post.

-Byshop

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 N64DD

@Byshop said:
@360ru13r said:

Gamespot actually described the Luke Cage series as the upcoming "urban" superhero series. Because as we know, Daredevil and Jessica Jones both took place in rural Wyoming.

-Byshop

I loved Luke Cage.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TryIt

@stormcast said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

mlk would be proud

not doing it because of him, in fact its not even related to that.

doing it because some people get so easily trigger because a black person is in a movie

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VFighter

@Byshop: Ok so you're blind and deaf, gotcha. Luke Cake was described as Urban because that's the culture it dealt with, an inner city urban one. While both shows were set in shit holes, there were very clear differences between those shit holes ad the cultures presented in both. If you can't see how that's relative to what you posted, well I dunno what else to tell you.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56311 Posts

@Byshop said:
@360ru13r said:

-Byshop

What did Gamespot say about Black Lighting?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@multiplat said:
@shellcase86 said:

what?? Jordan can't hold a candle to the lead guy Chadwick, there were so many others that could have done creed jr better too, but for whatever reason they picked him

Yes, Chadwick is better. But Jordan is no slouch, either. He brings a great menace to that role.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Trailers look fine.......................................

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Byshop  Moderator

@vfighter said:

@Byshop: Ok so you're blind and deaf, gotcha. Luke Cake was described as Urban because that's the culture it dealt with, an inner city urban one. While both shows were set in shit holes, there were very clear differences between those shit holes ad the cultures presented in both. If you can't see how that's relative to what you posted, well I dunno what else to tell you.

Keep the comments on the topic and lay off the personal jabs, please.

You're missing the point of my original post, along with a few other points. The joke that @360ru13r was making is that in the media, the word "urban" at some point became code for "black". When Variety says that "urban" audiences like Empire, they are specifically referring to the show having a large African American demographic.

You say both shows were set in "shit holes" but that have very clear differences. No, all three shows are literally set in the same location, which is in and around the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Look it up.

The only thing worth noting is that the Hell's Kitchen in the shows is based on how it used to be, not how it is today. Back in the like the 90s it was rougher, but these days its pretty gentrified. While they filmed the shows in New York they had to go to other parts of New York than where the shows are actually set to get the look of how it looked in the past.

Yes, all three shows obviously have very different themes. Nobody claimed that they were the same show. Daredevil was a poor, handicapped kid who grew up "in the system" and eventually becomes a vigilante crime fighter. Jessica Jones wasn't really a "super hero" story so much as a story about abuse and PTSD. Luke Cage was more about inner city community and race, but also a super hero-type story. However, the article I'm referring to was commenting on the first trailer for Luke Cage, so it's not like the Gamespot author was viewing the series through a lens of retrospective hindsight after seeing all three. It was based on a minute and a half trailer with less than 30 seconds of actual dialog. Not a lot of plot or story, but certainly a lot of black people...

In defense of the author of the blurb, I don't even know if he/she wrote it. It only appeared in the byline that appeared on the front page feed. It wasn't how the series was described in the article itself in either the headline or the longer byline after you clicked the link.

-Byshop

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Agree with the 'rap' department. They should have just taken some music from Lion King since they're both under Disney.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@davillain- said:

This movie is going to sell and sell big! It's got most every big name young Black actors and actress in it, it's opening in Black History Month, and it's the first big marketed black superhero movie. If Hancock and Blade series did well, this is going to sell HUGE!!! Can easily see this movie being a top grosser behind Infinity War this year and I'm hype for Black Panther since that Infinity War trailer got me hungry for anything Marvel film this year.

I am unfamiliar with these big named black actors. Can you name them and what they were in?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Byshop  Moderator

@Solaryellow said:
@davillain- said:

I am unfamiliar with these big named black actors. Can you name them and what they were in?

Forest Whitaker and Angela Basset who have both been in tons of stuff over careers spanning decades. Michael B. Jordan is a younger actor but he's starred in some very notable recent films including Fruitvale Station and Creed.

I would encourage you give IMDB a try.

-Byshop

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Solaryellow:

Also, the lady who plays Michonne in the Walking Dead has a big part in this movie. She's not a big name, but the Walking Dead has been a very popular show, though it's popularity is dropping fast.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The Black Panther Trailer is much better if you mute the volume.

I absolutely hate that rap music garbage and hope it’s not in the final movie.

I am sure I will like the movie as long as it’s not filled with Rap music and stupid...you get the point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'll watch it at some point. Will probably be a decent superhero movie, and a refreshing start to the Marvel line-up this year.