Afghanistan President legalizes rape

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has backed a law that the United Nations Development Fund for Women claims legalizes rape within marriage and forbids women from leaving the house without permission, The Telegraph reported Tuesday.

According to the U.N. the law, which has not been released publicly, says women cannot seek work, education or doctor's appointments unless their husband approves.

The law also allegedly gives sole custody of children to fathers and grandfathers. Opponents of the law accuse Karzai of pandering to the Shia minority whose swing vote is crucial.

While the Afghanistan constitution guarantees equal rights for women, it says the Shia population can settle cases based on Shia law.

Afghanistan would not let the U.N. see a copy of the bill, and a Karzai spokesperson would not comment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511860,00.html

maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
Yet another example of the depravity of man.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm waiting for the part where it says "ha ha, april fools". :P

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Sounds terrible but even though the Afghan people don't like the Taliban if it is going to be their country it isn't going to be like ours.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
I wish this was a joke, but it isn't -_-
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
What a backwards place.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
that's horrible. he's just giving into the taliban.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
that's horrible. he's just giving into the taliban.shoeman12
It isn't the Taliban, it is what some of the locals want. He is doing it for political reasons.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Pretty pathetic and horrible, but a different culture. It's tough to judge from an objective viewpoint on things like this.

awesomeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 awesomeray
Member since 2009 • 2880 Posts

this is rediculous:x

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I wonder how the women feel? :roll:

This better be an April Fools

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

****ing Karzai... and he says his previous connections and membership with the Taliban were meaningless.

I really hope this is an April Fools joke... even then its in extremely bad taste.

Pretty pathetic and horrible, but a different culture. It's tough to judge from an objective viewpoint on things like this.Saturos3091

Judge away. The Taliban and the current Sharia-dominated regime in Afghanistan are not only incredibly corrupt, but extremely ****ed up. Before the Taliban and radical Wahabbi movements gained power, Afghanistan was a pretty damn liberal Muslim nation (in 1925 they began introducing a civil law code that was put alongside the established Sharia, which was nothing like Taliban Sharia). Now its basically one of the worst countries in the world to live (due to an extremely low life expectancy, standard of living and super-huge violations of human rights) and is controlled by a regime that wants people to live in a society that is modeled exactly like that of 6th-7th century Saudi Arabia.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Is Afganistan becoming more primitive?

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Please.......some one tell me this is just a stupid april fools joke.....
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
These are the serious issues with the Islam Fanatics and other types of people in the middle east.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox

Is Afganistan becoming more primitive?pvtdonut54

It is. The Taliban want the society to function like that of Mohammedan-time Mecca/Medina. And the supposed "democratic" regime in "power" right now only has control within Kabul. The Taliban still control most of northeastern Afghanistan and nearly all of northwestern Pakistan, in the Swat region.

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts

I think this is an April Fool's joke, but it sounds entirely plausible.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

I think this is an April Fool's joke, but it sounds entirely plausible.FalcoLX

Sadly, I would be surprised if this was a joke. In a country that bans women from doing anything besides giving their man sexual pleasure, bearing/raising children and making food, I wouldn't put this past them.

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts

Dude, I was about to say "Haha teh funnayz. I'm moving to Afghanistan." ...but this is really messed up. :| What a buzzkill...

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what a backward and primitive country.
eXdout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eXdout
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts

Thats horrible. It is so screwed up over there, and it could be just the beginning of something even worse.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Yet another example of the depravity of man. maheo30
For once I agree with you U_U
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what a backward and primitive country.Bourbons3

Again, you aren't ignorant, it is incredibly backwards and primitive. Having recently done a paper on the Taliban, I don't feel any guilt by being judgemental or scornful... they are terrible, terrible people. The only reason they gained power was because they were well funded by the Saudi's during the civil war era after the Soviet invasion... had they not been, they wouldn't have won over anyone.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

Yet another example of what a peaceful, loving religion Islam is.mikeg0788

Just to play a little devil's advocate for a moment, what the Taliban practice isn't traditional Islam, it is an extremely radical and conservative interpretation of it. It puts emphasis on the parts that give power to men over women and somewhat advocates the killing of Muslims in a jihad, despite the traditional jihad forbidding the killing of any Muslims. It is called Wahhabism, it comes out of Saudi Arabia.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I'm waiting for the part where it says "ha ha, april fools". :P

GabuEx
same here I kept clicking the links and nothing
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts

****ing Karzai... and he says his previous connections and membership with the Taliban were meaningless.

I really hope this is an April Fools joke... even then its in extremely bad taste.

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]Pretty pathetic and horrible, but a different culture. It's tough to judge from an objective viewpoint on things like this.foxhound_fox

Judge away. The Taliban and the current Sharia-dominated regime in Afghanistan are not only incredibly corrupt, but extremely ****ed up. Before the Taliban and radical Wahabbi movements gained power, Afghanistan was a pretty damn liberal Muslim nation (in 1925 they began introducing a civil law code that was put alongside the established Sharia, which was nothing like Taliban Sharia). Now its basically one of the worst countries in the world to live (due to an extremely low life expectancy, standard of living and super-huge violations of human rights) and is controlled by a regime that wants people to live in a society that is modeled exactly like that of 6th-7th century Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, I agree with this. Screw cultures, humanity first.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]Pretty pathetic and horrible, but a different culture. It's tough to judge from an objective viewpoint on things like this.WhiteSnake5000

Yeah, I agree with this. Screw cultures, humanity first.

exactly I dont care if its a "whole different culture" this is just wrong

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

women already have it rough there

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

exactly I dont care if its a "whole different culture" this is just wrongSerraph105
Yeah. That ridiculous 'but it's their culture' defence is infuriating. Sure it's their culture, but it's also disgustingly immoral.

Snakewiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Snakewiseman
Member since 2009 • 1287 Posts
Time to send in the boondock saints
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
horrible for the girls or guys out there. it might be different compared to the US.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox

women already have it rough therekemar7856

"Rough" doesn't even begin to describe the human rights atrocities being committed against women in that country.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

i hope its an april fool thing

if not: that is so ****ed up, makes me so angry, i know its bad to be prejudice and racist and stuff and i am in no way racist, but if countries (any countries at all, im don't mean just middle eastern or something) do this sort of thing what on earth do they expect??

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox

if not: that is so ****ed up, makes me so angry, i know its bad to be prejudice and racist and stuff and i am in no way racist, but if countries (any countries at all, im don't mean just middle eastern or something) do this sort of thing what on earth do they expect??

jpph

Is it bad to condemn the actions of the Nazi's? What about Stalin? Or the Khmer Rouge?

No, it is not. These kinds of political extremists only hurt humanity and international society. We *must* speak out against them and not be worried about hiding behind political correctness.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

It saddens me to hear this. But you must wonder, what type of gentleman would want to take away his woman's choice to engage in such a fantastic experience?

Unless, in Afganistan it is not a fantastic experience for one or more parties involved.

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

We need to get out of there this is just I really cant belive this.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
This will make my foreign minister go haywire, Infact any news of human rights being broken sends my government into a frienzy. Hopefully the U.N. will do something.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

We need to get out of there this is just I really cant belive this.Bigboss232

If anything, the US and NATO forces need to increase their presence in Afghanistan and the NWFP in Pakistan. This is a regime, like Saddam, that needs to fall. The problem is, most people in the West think that it was only ever about the hunt for Osama, when in fact, it is the entirety of the Taliban itself that presents a threat to the West. They more than have the capabilities to commit more terrorist attacks on the US... they are very well-funded by the illegal heroin trade and their opium stockpiles.

This is more than just retaliatory action for September 11th... this is a massive human rights issue and it needs to be addressed. Young girls are still having acid in thrown in their faces because they try to go to school... being permanently scarred for life just for wanting to learn to read and write.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clayron

[QUOTE="jpph"]

foxhound_fox

Is it bad to condemn the actions of the Nazi's? What about Stalin? Or the Khmer Rouge?

No, it is not. These kinds of political extremists only hurt humanity and international society. We *must* speak out against them and not be worried about hiding behind political correctness.

I agree with you to a certain degree. What keeps me reserved is the idea that by speaking out I would be projecting my values/experiences/opinions onto an entirely different society which, in all respects, is not as bad as legalizing rape, but it treks along the same line. Who am I to protest their laws? The only reason I see the laws as backwards is due to the fact I have been taught to embrace other values.

You say that these kinds of political extremes hurt humanity, but I ask: Isn't a readiness to speak out and take action, without fully understanding the culture, a tad extreme, in and out itself?

Now, I do not agree with legalizing rape. I normally do not post on political-esque topic, but that is just F***ed up.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Sounds terrible but even though the Afghan people don't like the Taliban if it is going to be their country it isn't going to be like ours.duxup
The strange thing is that if you tried to change these laws, a large number of Afghan women would be opposed to it. :( Religion can be a crazy thing.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox

I agree with you to a certain degree. What keeps me reserved is the idea that by speaking out I would be projecting my values/experiences/opinions onto an entirely different society which, in all respects, is not as bad as legalizing rape, but it treks along the same line. Who am I to protest their laws? The only reason I see the laws as backwards is due to the fact I have been taught to embrace other values.

You say that these kinds of political extremes hurt humanity, but I ask: Isn't a readiness to speak out and take action, without fully understanding the culture, a tad extreme, in and out itself?

Now, I do not agree with legalizing rape. I normally do not post on political-esque topic, but that is just F***ed up.

clayron

Any "law" that violates a basic human right is immoral. Period. It doesn't matter if you "understand" the culture or not, allowing men to beat their wives with no retribution is incredibly immoral. Allowing men as a group to control women and not allow them equal rights is immoral. I don't pass judgement on their religious beliefs, I pass judgement on their public legislations.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

this is...horrible beyond words...

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"]I agree with you to a certain degree. What keeps me reserved is the idea that by speaking out I would be projecting my values/experiences/opinions onto an entirely different society which, in all respects, is not as bad as legalizing rape, but it treks along the same line. Who am I to protest their laws? The only reason I see the laws as backwards is due to the fact I have been taught to embrace other values.

foxhound_fox

Any "law" that violates a basic human right is immoral. Period. It doesn't matter if you "understand" the culture or not, allowing men to beat their wives with no retribution is incredibly immoral. Allowing men as a group to control women and not allow them equal rights is immoral. I don't pass judgement on their religious beliefs, I pass judgement on their public legislations.

Again, I agree.

How do you define a basic human right? I do not think there is a ton of consensus on what exactly constitutes basic human rights. For instance, I believe everyone should have access to healthcare; unfortunately, my country believes that healthcare comes with either a price tag or a toe tag.

Also, how do you define or qualify something as immoral? Is it merely denying someone a basic human right? Or does it go further? Personally, I believe what they are doing is immoral, but that is based on my belief that people, man or woman, stand on a level playing field and should be treated as such. However, in their culture they do not share that same belief. Women are often view as a type of property to be controlled, used, and directed by males. So, in a society, such as the one in Afganistan, is it immoral for women to become a bit more than sex slaves? Is it even uncommon? Not that it makes it right, but when an action is common it can lead to a spiral.

IndigoSunrise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IndigoSunrise
Member since 2009 • 1141 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="clayron"]I agree with you to a certain degree. What keeps me reserved is the idea that by speaking out I would be projecting my values/experiences/opinions onto an entirely different society which, in all respects, is not as bad as legalizing rape, but it treks along the same line. Who am I to protest their laws? The only reason I see the laws as backwards is due to the fact I have been taught to embrace other values.

clayron

Again, I agree.

How do you define a basic human right? I do not think there is a ton of consensus on what exactly constitutes basic human rights. For instance, I believe everyone should have access to healthcare; unfortunately, my country believes that healthcare comes with either a price tag or a toe tag.

Also, how do you define or qualify something as immoral? Is it merely denying someone a basic human right? Or does it go further? Personally, I believe what they are doing is immoral, but that is based on my belief that people, man or woman, stand on a level playing field and should be treated as such. However, in their culture they do not share that same belief. Women are often view as a type of property to be controlled, used, and directed by males. So, in a society, such as the one in Afganistan, is it immoral for women to become a bit more than sex slaves? Is it even uncommon? Not that it makes it right, but when an action is common it can lead to a spiral.

Not everything is objective like that. You know in Darfur genocide is going on. But hey. Who are we to judge their culture right? I'm not a nihlist when it comes to things like RAPE and SEXUAL SLAVERY being immoral. Cmon man be more realistic. If you can't see how things like RAPE are universally wrong no matter what the culture is like then I'm afraid we have nothing more to discuss. Many if not most morals are somewhat grey. However rape and murder is as black and white as you can get. Its ALWAYS wrong even if a culture is insane enough to think its okay.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yet another example of what a peaceful, loving religion Islam is.

mikeg0788

Ignorance at its finest D:

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
:lol: wait is this a joke?
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts

:|

This is sad. Afganistan is really pathetic.

This is also against Islam too. But comming from a Shia country what can you expect. They are the type of muslims that are pretty ******* up.
I wonder if the U.S is going to so something about this.
I don't know why but I just have a hard time understanding why they would legalize this.