Abortion: with or against?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

merv_wasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#301 merv_wasted
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts
AGAINST !!
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#302 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
Your poll makes it seem so black and white and I couldn't vote. I am against it, but in certain situations I am for it. Like rape or if the mother will die from it. But at the same time, I don't think mine or anybody else's views should be forc on others. So even though I am against it, I believe everybody should have the right to do so if they wish.AmazonTreeBoa
It presents a form of a fallacy called the False Dichotomy, although in an exotic form. Offering a binary choice which characterizes each is an old tactic, but it's also a mistake many people make at a fundamental level of their thinking. Then again, in court the classic example is asking the witness, "So, Mr. Smith, when did you stop beating your wife?" At no point is there a basis to claim, or evidence that Mr. Smith beat his wife, but the question is both a false dichotomy and one which begs the question that he DID beat his wife to have stopped. It's probably more accurate to ask something like: Do you ever believe that an abortion is acceptable? If so, under what circumstances?
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"] An embryo/fetus could be classified as a parasite, but I think it would be more accurate to say that it behaves in a parasitic fashion. As you seem to be implying, just saying, "it's a parasite" is too simplistic. To say that it's parasitic however, is undeniable.Frame_Dragger

I could argue that in my current state I'm parasitic to my parents, because I don't know how to drive thus support myself.

It would be a factitious argument, I'm speaking in terms of parasitic behavior in organisms. My point was in support of LJS9502_basic's position that to characterize one stage of a complex organism as a "parasite", rather than a period of parasitic behavior is misleading. Then again, it turns out I misunderstood him, yet I stand by my point. Again, I'm not stating what my position is here, now or EVER, but I'll chime in on the facts that are not a matter of debate and opinion. If you're sharing a blood supply without gaining anything in return you have parasitic behavior.

Besides, I suspect that your parents are in a behaviorally symbiotic relationship anyway; if they fall ill later in life, are you going to leave them in a ditch? The parent-child dynamic is also complex, and not so simplistic. Anyway, from a medical point of view the embryo and fetus are parasitic; that isn't a basis in my opinion for an argument to support or condemn abortion, just an objective reality.

That's nothing more than reverting to shematics you know what I meant by that.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="alexside1"]

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]

I could argue that in my current state I'm parasitic to my parents, because I don't know how to drive thus support myself.alexside1

It would be a factitious argument, I'm speaking in terms of parasitic behavior in organisms. My point was in support of LJS9502_basic's position that to characterize one stage of a complex organism as a "parasite", rather than a period of parasitic behavior is misleading. Then again, it turns out I misunderstood him, yet I stand by my point. Again, I'm not stating what my position is here, now or EVER, but I'll chime in on the facts that are not a matter of debate and opinion. If you're sharing a blood supply without gaining anything in return you have parasitic behavior.

Besides, I suspect that your parents are in a behaviorally symbiotic relationship anyway; if they fall ill later in life, are you going to leave them in a ditch? The parent-child dynamic is also complex, and not so simplistic. Anyway, from a medical point of view the embryo and fetus are parasitic; that isn't a basis in my opinion for an argument to support or condemn abortion, just an objective reality.

That's nothing more than reverting to shematics you know what I meant by that.

Reverting to schematics? I have no clue what you mean, literally or by what I think is some kind of implication. You seem to think that I've thrown my hat in for one side or another, and I haven't, nor will I. What I'm saying is not a justification for any action, just an accurate medical and biological portrayal. What I'm saying is no more (medically/scientifically) controversial than the notion that conjoined twins who saaay... share critical organs... are two organisms locked in symbiosis. It isn't a moral judgement that leads to a conclusion, it's just reality.

I mean, for those who believe that life begins with conception, none of that matters. For people who believe in a woman's right ot choose regardless of the status of the fetus, it ALSO doesn't matter. Relax alex... you made a point that fell flat, but that's no reason to get pissed.
M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#305 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

if abortion is murder, then swallowing is cannibalism and masturbation is genocide attempt.

fin.

biohaznerd

this just changed my world

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#306 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Against it unless under certain circumstances.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#308 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

aggainnnsssttt.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Should be legal.
Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

"against abortion. for killing babies, that way everyone loses and I win."-maddox

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#311 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

i'm for. however, it should only be early. late-term abortion is unecusable.

However, i'm al for abortion if its early. A woman has a right to choose. She might also be unprepared for a child, and so the child would probably grow up in a foster's home and have a sad childhood, which would affect his whole life. Best to not have a sad person come to this world and sav everybody a lot of pain.

Also, the fetus can be used for stem cell reaserch, to save other lives

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#312 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Its up to the person who actually has to raise the kid. It's easy to call names, when u don't have any responsobility with the problem at hand. if u hate abortion so much, why not adopt the kids getting aborted??? Ohh u dont' wanna do that. Just complain.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#313 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I am for the woman's right to choose a legal abortion. But I don't think they should abort babies after, say, 16 weeks or so.

If I had to vote though I would always support legal abortion. The horror and suffering of women who face illegal abortions appall me. That being said I have very little time or patience for women who become 'accidentally' pregnant while not using any form of contraception whatsoever. In this day and age there are so many contraception options available that women not using any and then b******* about being 'suddenly' pregnant piss me the hell off.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

I am for the woman's right to choose a legal abortion. But I don't think they should abort babies after, say, 16 weeks or so.

If I had to vote though I would always support legal abortion. The horror and suffering of women who face illegal abortions appall me. That being said I have very little time or patience for women who become 'accidentally' pregnant while not using any form of contraception whatsoever. In this day and age there are so many contraception options available that women not using any and then b******* about being 'suddenly' pregnant piss me the hell off.

MissLibrarian

13 weeks is generally the cut off point for abortions.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Hell I don't support it, but I support it being the choice of the parents (Not only the mothers).
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#316 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Hell I don't support it, but I support it being the choice of the parents (Not only the mothers). Iantheone
Pennsylvania tried a [lite] variation of that. (women have to give notice to husbands) It was struck down.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

MissLibrarian

Why 16 weeks? Why any particular number of weeks?

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="MissLibrarian"]

Why 16 weeks? Why any particular number of weeks?

It's a power of four, which makes it cool? Ooooor... is that making light of a serious issue? Heh... ehhhhh....
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

13 weeks is generally the cut off point for abortions.garathe_den

I believe you can have an abortion anywhere up to 24 weeks here in the UK.

Why 16 weeks? Why any particular number of weeks?Palantas

16 weeks was just a number I typed.

Generally because as far as I'm aware if a woman were to suffer an 'early birth' of a foetus that was less than around 16 weeks old it simply could not live. Thus I do not see it as 'living'. Whereas premature babies at around say 24 weeks have a slim but often severely disadvantaged chance.

However this is all personal speculation and my own personal opinion, I have no real knowledge on the subject, but luckily no-one will ever ask me to decide what is right or wrong regarding this subject in order to make a law or whatever so I probably don't need to know either.