Abortion: with or against?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
I am against abortion. but I'd never tell somebody else what they could do unless it directly impacted my life.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="Hubadubalubahu"] Why is it you answer everyone with that smug attitude and do nothing but pick fights. not everyone is confused here. And just to throw you a bone show me where a person is legally defined instead of being so vague in your points. because lets be honest with such vague answers your not debating your instigating. Im not picking sides in this abortion crap but your attitude in general on this site rubs me the wrong way. And by the way giving me the definition of a person isnt what im asking for thegerg

Zeroing in on words used instead of the arguement itself usually means:

1. Person is deflecting
  2. Person lost the arguement
  3. All of the above

The arguments we make are composed of words. It is very important to pay attention to the words we use. Your argument was that the Constitution defines a person in a certain way, that is simply false. Hubadubalubahu's argument was that I claimed "they" didn't legally define a person in a certain way. He is being vague as to who "they" are and seems to think that I have somehow contradicted myself. If you wish me to address your argument make the argument clear and then support your argument.

Already did. You choose to focus on the language and the use words on the argument instead of the actual argument. You wan't to know why a fetus is not a person, the following two sentences is all you need: But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word is such that it has application only post-natally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

Pretty simple really. You just focus on what words I used instead of the actual arguement. I've noticed that you also ignore the two sentences above. Which means you had no arguement in the first place other than "Woah, woah, woah. I think that word is questionable therefore your arguement is void"

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You posted concerning a constitutional definition of a person. You have yet to provide a constitutional definition of a person. The Constitution does not define a person. You are continuing to fail to support your claim that "The constitution only defines persons in a post natal form."thegerg

Then if there is no Constitutuional definition of a person.....you can't tell someone they are wrong for their definition. Though being against abortion on a moral ground does not have to coincide with a legal ground. Legal definitions can change.....

I am telling no one that their definition of "person" is wrong. I am simply saying that the Constitution does not define "person", as others have claimed.

So I'm taking it you're a strict constitutionalist?
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Hubadubalubahu
Member since 2005 • 1081 Posts
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="Hubadubalubahu"] Why is it you answer everyone with that smug attitude and do nothing but pick fights. not everyone is confused here. And just to throw you a bone show me where a person is legally defined instead of being so vague in your points. because lets be honest with such vague answers your not debating your instigating. Im not picking sides in this abortion crap but your attitude in general on this site rubs me the wrong way. And by the way giving me the definition of a person isnt what im asking for thegerg

Zeroing in on words used instead of the arguement itself usually means:

Person is deflectingPerson lost the arguementAll of the above

The arguments we make are composed of words. It is very important to pay attention to the words we use. Your argument was that the Constitution defines a person in a certain way, that is simply false. Hubadubalubahu's argument was that I claimed "they" didn't legally define a person in a certain way. He is being vague as to who "they" are and seems to think that I have somehow contradicted myself. If you wish me to address your argument make the argument clear and then support your argument.

They is the man, the big guy, the government. the fact is there is no standard legal agreed upon definition on what a person is. That is why the abortion debate is such a touchy subject. Its due to the fact that context, situation, and moral values all play into this age old person/living being debate. The point i belive he was trying to make though is that in the case of roe v wade they did indeed use the descriptions in the fourteenth amendment of the constitution to come to a verdict in that case.Some anti-abortion supporters maintain that personhood begins at fertilization (also referred to as conception), and should therefore be protected by the Constitution; the dissenting justices in Roe instead wrote that decisions about abortion "should be left with the people and to the political processes the people have devised to govern their affairs." The majority opinion allowed states to protect "fetal life after viability" even though a fetus is not "a person within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment". A prominent argument against the Roe decision is that, in the absence of consensus about when meaningful life begins, it is best to avoid the risk of doing harm. I belive you sir are "confused"
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] The arguments we make are composed of words. It is very important to pay attention to the words we use. Your argument was that the Constitution defines a person in a certain way, that is simply false. Hubadubalubahu's argument was that I claimed "they" didn't legally define a person in a certain way. He is being vague as to who "they" are and seems to think that I have somehow contradicted myself. If you wish me to address your argument make the argument clear and then support your argument.thegerg

Already did. You choose to focus on the language and the use words on the argument instead of the actual argument. You wan't to know why a fetus is not a person, the following two sentences is all you need: But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word is such that it has application only post-natally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

Pretty simple really. You just focus on what words I used instead of the actual arguement. I've noticed that you also ignore the two sentences above. Which means you had no arguement in the first place other than "Woah, woah, woah. I think that word is questionable therefore your arguement is void"

Your argument is that the Constitution defines a person in a certain way. That is simply not the case. You are continuing to post a description of how the word is used in the Constitution, not a definition of the word according to the Constitution. I have not ignored those sentences, I am just telling you that they do not provide a constitutional definition for any word.

Ah, so it's just a strict constitutionalist interpretation that you're taking. This makes sense. No, not your argument. That's just focusing on vocabulary. Actually you have ignored those sentences seeing how you've made no reference to them until now.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="thegerg"] I am telling no one that their definition of "person" is wrong. I am simply saying that the Constitution does not define "person", as others have claimed.thegerg

So I'm taking it you're a strict constitutionalist?

What does that have to do with anything?

It's called impeaching the witness. If he can find inconsistency....then he's devalued your argument.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="thegerg"]Your argument is that the Constitution defines a person in a certain way. That is simply not the case. You are continuing to post a description of how the word is used in the Constitution, not a definition of the word according to the Constitution. I have not ignored those sentences, I am just telling you that they do not provide a constitutional definition for any word.thegerg

Ah, so it's just a strict constitutionalist interpretation that you're taking. This makes sense. No, not your argument. That's just focusing on vocabulary. Actually you have ignored those sentences seeing how you've made no reference to them until now.

Of course we're focusing on vocabulary. Your argument was based in vocabulary. "The constitution only defines persons in a post natal form." Your argument is incorrect. I only addressed vocabulary after you brought it up.

Should I post the link of the synonyms of 'define'? Hold on, inb4 "uhhh context"
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Hubadubalubahu
[QUOTE="Hubadubalubahu"][QUOTE="thegerg"] No, it doesn't. You seem to be confused as to the legal definition of a human person. Please do some research before posting again.thegerg
Funny a few posts back you claimed they didnt legally define a person but described one... I feel like your only purpose on gamespot is to troll and instigate flaming. Its one thing to have a heated argument but dont try to play both sides of an argument solely to get a reaction out of someone.

Who are these "they" of whom you speak? By "they" do you mean the Constitution? If so, then yes. I have correctly claimed that the Constitution doesn't define a person. That does not mean that a person is not legally defined elsewhere. I am not trolling or playing both sides. You seem to be confused.

That was not your point because you claimed multiple times, (such as above), that there was in fact a legal definition of a person. when i asked you to provide this with sources you avoided the question. Now your backpedaling saying your point was there was no definition. make up your mind and stop making pointless arguments on peoples vocabulary and word choice because you seem to have overlooked your own.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
i am going to laugh my ass off if thegerg talks about context after arguing with me that context never matters.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
i am going to laugh my ass off if thegerg talks about context after arguing with me that context never matters.surrealnumber5
Semantics and context arguments.....
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#216 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

Man, OT will truly have its world rocked if an antinatalist ever appears.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

Man, OT will truly have its world rocked if an antinatalist ever appears.

T_P_O

I understand that position when it comes to many people.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i am going to laugh my ass off if thegerg talks about context after arguing with me that context never matters.thegerg
I have never argued that context doesn't matter.

the hell you did not, but i dont feel like looking up a three or so month old thread so believe what you want.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#221 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]Your innocent man example lacks a context, so we do not know if the death of the innocent man is the only possible solution or a solution that will even work. Both of these conditions must be fulfilled for it to be a suitable analogy to the abortion situation.

Genetic_Code

In the hypothetical example, both conditions are assumed to be fulfilled. The hypothesis is used to illustrate value. It is not intended to be realistic outside of the condition of the mother and her embryo, in which case, both conditions ARE fulfilled.

If there is no possible way for the man to save himself EXCEPT by murder, then how can you be so sure that his act of self-defence is "wrong"? Would you rather he choose to lie down and die just because of another person's actions? The other individual may have endangered him unintentionally - but the law still considers individuals to be accountable for "accidental crimes", which is why a person can be convicted of manslaughter. By suggesting that this action is morally wrong you are implying that the threatened individual has a less valuable life than the threatening individual.

Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Hubadubalubahu
[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You may be right, it may be killing. However, an unborn fetus does not fit the legal description of a living person. It is not bull, it is law.thegerg

if it has a heartbeat it does!

No, it doesn't. You seem to be confused as to the legal definition of a human person. Please do some research before posting again.

Here is yet another time that you argued there was a legal definition of a person. Now i wasnt arguing the constitution thing i was pointing out there was no definition which you seem to agree with now even though you were arguing quite adamantly with this gentleman here there was one. Make one argument and stick with it. you clearly have lost your original point or never had one seeing as how you have dug yourself a hole and your ladder out is made up of nitpicking and avoiding anything that requires you to give proof of your claims. Unfourtunatly i have to go but i think you need to seriously think about what you are truly in this thread for and what you belive. And stop calling everyone confused, did you just learn that word or are you merely getting off on the sound of it.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="thegerg"]I have never argued that context doesn't matter.thegerg
the hell you did not, but i dont feel like looking up a three or so month old thread so believe what you want.

I believe you are thinking of the thread in which you tried to argue that a word can be redefined due to its context. I never argued that context doesn't matter, simply that the words "criminal" and "illegal" don't mean the same thing and that to describe an act that is not criminal as being criminal is simply incorrect.

the argument was relevance and irrelevance and in context to the use in that case there was no relevance and you argued that context does not matter that every word is always relevant to an argument, it seems you still do not understand.....

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

I'm in between... I myself couldn't get one unless it was going to affect the health of me or the baby or if I knew it had some kind of disability because I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to cope with that.

Though if women want to get and get abortions for being irresponsible with their birth control then I won't even try stop them.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#227 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've got an odd opinion on abortion: On the one hand, I feel that an unborn baby is a living person and aborting them is the same as murder. On the other hand, I feel that if other people want to do that, well, that's their business I guess.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] I believe you are thinking of the thread in which you tried to argue that a word can be redefined due to its context. I never argued that context doesn't matter, simply that the words "criminal" and "illegal" don't mean the same thing and that to describe an act that is not criminal as being criminal is simply incorrect.thegerg

the argument was relevance and irrelevance and in context to the use in that case there was no relevance and you argued that context does not matter that every word is always relevant to an argument, it seems you still do not understand.....

I understand the argument you are trying to make. If your point was "all that is illegal is illegal" I did (and continue to) agree. But, what you said was something along the lines of "all that is illegal is criminal", which is simply incorrect. Context can not change that fact.

and that is still completely irrelevant to the argument that was made, and i even noted that it was a mistake and an irrelevant mistake before you chimed in that thread, and you still persisted with your argument, you like to pick fights on message boards for no reason other than to do that and youre doing the same thing in this thread.

and the argument at hand was that things are bad because they are illegal, and that was the argument i was addressing before you chimed in to derail the thread.... i guess kinda like i did here.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The way I see it is as a man its none of my business.. Even if it involves my possible future child, in the end of the day what takes a pleasurable easily repeatable climax, turns into a mother going through a immense 9 month stretch of change ending with a extremely painful event.. Men cannot be equal in this because the biological burden is always on the woman in this matter imo. If it truely is a sin then let that be between god and the person who did it, because at the end of the day these aren't the only people "dieing" in the world.. We have countless people dieing in the world that need to be helped, ones that need not cross any kind of line when it comes to personal liberty..
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="dracula_16"]

In most cases I oppose it. The Qur'an says a few things that have lead me to believe that God has a plan for a baby's life. I think it's OK to abort it if the mother's health is at a serious risk, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Islam, Allah is a deterministic deity, right? Nothing happens except as a result of god's will (aka, insha'allah), AFAIK (and no I'm not Muslim) so any human event, positive or negative in light of our own views is god's will according to your beliefs. Given that, if a Allah has a plan for a baby's life, it will be fulfilled, and if not, then not. Is this overly fatalistic, because in my experience what I described is an accurate representation.

Well, we don't believe that He causes all things to happen, because if that were true, He would be the one who causes people to sin, making him a cruel tyrant. He allows things like abortion to happen, but that doesn't mean it's a kin to a puppet master controlling his puppets by forcing people to abort their fetuses. When I said that He has a plan for a baby's life, I meant that His message of salvation is open to all of humanity. Even though a baby doesn't understand what a relationship with God is, the human being, once it gets old enough to understand, is welcome to choose the path of Islam. His plan is for that person to live by Islam.

I've heard that some hadiths [our oral traditions] say that all babies are born sinless and are in a state of Islam, meaning that if the baby dies, it will go to Paradise. I've never come across this hadith personally, so I don't have a source, unfortunately. Sorry if that's a little convoluted-- it's difficult for me to explain. It was a great question, though. Thank you for asking it.

Thanks very much for the answer, and I'm used to convoluted. I don't claim to believe as you do, but I like to understand why people believe what they do. I truly appreciate your answer, and while I'm agnostic and Jewish myself, I've read the Quran and Hadith thanks to friends I made many years ago. I've found that reading the scriptures and interpretations of other faiths is rewarding, and extremely helpful in understanding the motives of others. Anyway, thanks again for your answer, and I'll see if I can find that Hadith... if I do I'll message you with it.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

[QUOTE="Neo-ganon"]

2) If the baby was concieved out of rape, then why not refer to #1 above? its not his fault that he was concieved in such a horrific way, neither is it the woman's fault. Everyone deserves the same chance at life.

trugs26

ah, but is it really right of society to expect a woman to have a constant reminder of such a traumatic experience for 9 months straight? Personally I don't think so.

Human life vs 9 months of traumatic experience.

Why should the baby be further punished?

I'm not speaking to the issue of abortion here, not making a claim for or against. I am going to say that the issue of a child concieved from rape is not a 9 month experience however. This isn't a rare thing unfortunately, although it's relatively rare in the USA. Some people can have that child and divorce him/her from the event that gave birth to it completely. More often, you hear about seeing the mix of your own features, and the rapist's features... a grim and constant reminder. There are women who argue that having had sex forced on them, it's a further crime to force them to carry and bear a child of that crime. Obviously the position of someone who believes that abortionis murder would say that you don't respond to rape with murder. Still, it's worth exploring the issue a bit more...

We can say, "well, give the kid up for adoption, the it really is just 9 months", but this it's not so simple. The normal processes that lead to bonding with a child usually factor in, they just exist in conflict with the trauma of being raped and seeing the face of that rapist in your kid. Obviously some also worry about what being the child of someone who would rape a woman means for that child's future behaviour and temperment, but I'm not sure how much that factors into any given culture.

In short, to assume that this can be easily reduced to an issue of 9 months, and all of the bodily stress and changes that are the result of pregnancy which has been forced on a woman, is innacurate. You can't consider the choice to abort, or appreciate the magnitude of a choice to keep such a child without fully appreciating the reality of the situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#234 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Personally I don't like abortion, but I still support the choice. Best bet is to not end up in a situation where you have to choose.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
Against, only in particular cases....like rape
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] I understand the argument you are trying to make. If your point was "all that is illegal is illegal" I did (and continue to) agree. But, what you said was something along the lines of "all that is illegal is criminal", which is simply incorrect. Context can not change that fact.thegerg

and that is still completely irrelevant to the argument that was made, and i even noted that it was a mistake and an irrelevant mistake before you chimed in that thread, and you still persisted with your argument, you like to pick fights on message boards for no reason other than to do that and youre doing the same thing in this thread.

and the argument at hand was that things are bad because they are illegal, and that was the argument i was addressing before you chimed in to derail the thread.... i guess kinda like i did here.

You too persisted with the argument, trying to claim that the context in which the word was used somehow redefined it. Which was incorrect. Which was my point.

i dont wish to redefine anything, it is immaterial to the argument at hand that was is and will be my argument, if you are going to pick a word to fight syntax over make sure it is important to the argument. here much like there you are not looking to argue a point of contention you are looking to argue outside of the point at any straw you can grasp at in order to argue. if a proposed change by you has zero effect on the argument than you are just arguing to get on the nerves of others and that is what i am arguing against, not a words value but the practice by you of arguing with people outside of the point of contention just to get a rise out of them. an irrelevant argument to the point made to claim a voidance of the argument. it is a detestable stance, and thus why i am denouncing it.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] You too persisted with the argument, trying to claim that the context in which the word was used somehow redefined it. Which was incorrect. Which was my point.thegerg

i dont wish to redefine anything, it is immaterial to the argument at hand that was is and will be my argument, if you are going to pick a word to fight syntax over make sure it is important to the argument. here much like there you are not looking to argue a point of contention you are looking to argue outside of the point at any straw you can grasp at in order to argue. if a proposed change by you has zero effect on the argument than you are just arguing to get on the nerves of others and that is what i am arguing against, not a words value but the practice by you of arguing with people outside of the point of contention just to get a rise out of them. an irrelevant argument to the point made to claim a voidance of the argument. it is a detestable stance, and thus why i am denouncing it.

My proposed change, that you don't use the word "criminal" where you should use the word "illegal" or "unlawful", certainly did have an effect on the argument. You made a statement that was factually incorrect. Making such statements can hinder your argument. I was trying to help you correct your mistake.

you were making an argument for argumenst sake, one that i had already addressed before you did and here according to droidx you are trying to do it again.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Against, only in particular cases....like rapepspdseagle

You do know that statistically 3 out of 5 rapes are never reported right? The closest thing they do is being anon and contacting a hotline or a support group.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
It doesn't bother me.
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Hubadubalubahu

[QUOTE="Hubadubalubahu"][QUOTE="thegerg"]No, it doesn't. You seem to be confused as to the legal definition of a human person. Please do some research before posting again.thegerg

Here is yet another time that you argued there was a legal definition of a person. Now i wasnt arguing the constitution thing i was pointing out there was no definition which you seem to agree with now even though you were arguing quite adamantly with this gentleman here there was one. Make one argument and stick with it. you clearly have lost your original point or never had one seeing as how you have dug yourself a hole and your ladder out is made up of nitpicking and avoiding anything that requires you to give proof of your claims. Unfourtunatly i have to go but i think you need to seriously think about what you are truly in this thread for and what you belive. And stop calling everyone confused, did you just learn that word or are you merely getting off on the sound of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person#Law This link provides a number of definitions for person. Check it out.

A number of definitions but in a court of law we unfourtunatly have no standard legal definition of a person beside a few descriptions in the fourteenth ammendment. On that page it says: "However, the concept of a person is difficult to define in a way that is universally accepted, due to its historical and cultural variability and the controversies surrounding its use in some contexts." As well as "The concept of a person is closely tied to legal and political concepts such as citizenship, equality, and liberty, and various questions in these areas have turned on the problem of what counts as a person, such as the abolition of slavery in the United States, the fight for women's rights in many countries, debates about abortion (e.g. fetal rights and reproductive rights issues), and debates about corporate personhood (e.g. for campaign spending limits).[4] You may want to read your source before posting it... Its nice that the word has definitions but the definition of a person in referance to what we are talking about has been up for debate for generations due to no standard legal definition. Seriously guy just stop. Youve got to cut your losses or risk making a further highly opinionated fool of yourself.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#243 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

This is exactly what we needed, anyways, with.

Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Hubadubalubahu
Yes actually if you read a few posts back i qouted you arguing with someone several times that there was a standard legal definition. And besides if what you are saying is you were arguing this entire time that the word person had a definition that is just plain common sense. A definition pretaining to the situation though well thats a different story. But since youve now said you were arguing purely that a word had a definition you are clearly starting arguments over irrelevent words considering the definitions you have shown are not in context nor relevance to the discussion at hand
Wren28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Wren28
Member since 2005 • 27811 Posts

[QUOTE="Setsa"][QUOTE="DevilishStyles"] I'll give you points for effort. DevilishStyles
None for wit? :( In all seriousness though, regardless of one's individual opinion of controversial topics like abortion and same-sex marriage, I believe the most ignorant thing to do is brand an entire sect of people as ignorant or close minded solely because their views differ from your own. Such prejudice can, ultimately, be a larger problem than the initial topic at hand.

Not really. I just never met anyone who was against abortion who had valid points in their defense. It's always been "Oh but abortion is killing babies". They never see the side where abortion is needed, such as rape victims. Never. This is from my experience. Maybe I worded that wrong. Too late to correct it.

I am against it for two reasons:

1. Yes I am amongst those that say it is killing babies...there is such a thing as adoption if they don't want the baby.

2. When my mother was pregnant with me, her sister's boyfriend at that time was going to pay for an abortion...if my grandmother hadn't stepped in, I wouldn't be here today...so that is a very personal reason for me as to why I am against abortion.

The only time I would ever agree with one is if the pregnancy put the woman's life in jeopardy.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DevilishStyles"][QUOTE="Setsa"] None for wit? :( In all seriousness though, regardless of one's individual opinion of controversial topics like abortion and same-sex marriage, I believe the most ignorant thing to do is brand an entire sect of people as ignorant or close minded solely because their views differ from your own. Such prejudice can, ultimately, be a larger problem than the initial topic at hand.Wren28

Not really. I just never met anyone who was against abortion who had valid points in their defense. It's always been "Oh but abortion is killing babies". They never see the side where abortion is needed, such as rape victims. Never. This is from my experience. Maybe I worded that wrong. Too late to correct it.

I am against it for two reasons:

1. Yes I am amongst those that say it is killing babies...there is such a thing as adoption if they don't want the baby.

2. When my mother was pregnant with me, her sister's boyfriend at that time was going to pay for an abortion...if my grandmother hadn't stepped in, I wouldn't be here today...so that is a very personal reason for me as to why I am against abortion.

The only time I would ever agree with one is if the pregnancy put the woman's life in jeopardy.

I'm sure a 3 week old baby can live by itself right? A fetus itself is just a parasite as long as it needs a mother to survive.