This topic is locked from further discussion.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts
Now that the blizzard of 2013 has passed and hundreds of cars have been abandoned due to not being able to make it through snow covered roads and are having to be towed to parking lots, should owners get tickets or be charged for the tow? We see it time and again, vehicle owners abandoning their vehicles due to too much snow or trying to drive through snow drifts and getting stuck and after authorities have told them to stay off the roads. These self-important idiots delay road clean up efforts due to their stupidity and often require to be rescued on top of it. What are your thoughts on this?
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Not all circumstances are the same; however, a fine may be necessary.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

IF they left their car in the middle of the road. Sure why not.

I see stupid pictures of snow stores and damn car is in the middle of the road!

it's not hard

1. stay home
  2. park your crap right.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I worked as a security guard through much of college, and I was expected to be at work NO-MATTER-WHAT. Sick? Work. Tornado? Work. Snow? Work. Nuclear War? I'd better be there.

Some jobs just don't accept excuses.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I worked as a security guard through much of college, and I was expected to be at work NO-MATTER-WHAT. Sick? Work. Tornado? Work. Snow? Work. Nuclear War? I'd better be there.

Some jobs just don't accept excuses.

br0kenrabbit
There are some exceptions, but for the general public, there is no reason to be out on the road unless you are on your way home from work when a storm hits. No one should be on the road at the height of a storm except in dire emergencies. New Yorkers tell of hours stranded on snowy roads on the Long Island Expressway. This is the kind of stuff I am talking about:  When cars like this are abandoned willy nilly, it takes clean-up crews longer to get the road open and passable unlike if people stayed home and off the roads so they wouldn't get stranded somewhere like this.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]Now that the blizzard of 2013 has passed and hundreds of cars have been abandoned due to not being able to make it through snow covered roads and are having to be towed to parking lots, should owners get tickets or be charged for the tow? We see it time and again, vehicle owners abandoning their vehicles due to too much snow or trying to drive through snow drifts and getting stuck and after authorities have told them to stay off the roads. These self-important idiots delay road clean up efforts due to their stupidity and often require to be rescued on top of it. What are your thoughts on this?

Sometimes people don't have a choice.. like is they have to go to the ER, are trying to get home from work etc. Not everyone on the road is someone say "oh i need to go pick up some cereal" and tries driving at 3am during a blizzard.
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

When the Groundhog Day blizzard hit here in Chicago, which compelled many to abandon their cars on Lake Shord Drive, the city just towed the vehicles to nearby lots where people were able to claim them once the snow had been pushed aside.  Whether or not they were charged for the tow escapes my memory bank.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Most people don't drive through the snow for funsies.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Deadline to remove car should be done first. Give them a chance to pick up their vehicles. And as has been pointed out.....sometimes there is a reason beyond one's control why they have to be on the road.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

They should be charged for the tow anda fine should be levied on them. Something to make up for the man hours us cops had to expend to deal with these idiots.

You were warned to stay at home by ALL levels of government. There is no reason you should have been driving during the blizzard. And if by some chance you had a valid reason, like you were a first responder going to work, or you had to go to the hospital, the fine should be waived. But you should have to pay for the tow.