5 Greatest Drummers (Better Than Travis Barker)

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wicked_Spades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wicked_Spades
Member since 2007 • 1147 Posts

So, I've been looking at so many drummers out there for awhile now and gradually I've began to formulate a list of drummers that can put all thsoe Travis Barker fanboys in check. See, I started looking for drummers after I kept hearing about how Travis Barker's amazing and how he's the best drummer because of his rap covers of songs like Crank Dat and Dope Boys. Well, I looked at some of his videos and I found some old school ones like the Blink 182 concert where he did a solo on a rotating platform. That was cool but the solo sucked. I kept trying to argue the point but no one would listen - so.... I got a list. These 5 drummers are simple proof of the great talent that is out there. You let me know what you think and even comprise your own list of 5 drummers (links of their solos are included).

1. Thomas Pridgen

He plays to some of the most indifferent **** in music (stated by critics) in the band The Mars Volta and he's been acclaimed for tons of awards showing up into big-time jazz festivals and is currently one of the highlights in modern-day drummers. The coolest part about this guy? He does it all with his eyes closed.

2. Dennis Chambers

The godfather of the heel-toe movement in drums. Dennis Chambers has shocked and awed crowds for over 15 years with some of the most intense drum solos.

3. Assaf Seewi

A newer drummer I found, he's bumped up on these charts because he's got one of the cleanest **** I've ever seen in drumming. Possibly the cleanest - and he does it with ease.

4. Neil Pert

The infamous drummer from Rush. Neil Pert is probably the most recognized drummer out there and is literally one of the best old-school drummers and is still (to this day) an icon for all newcoming drummers.

5. John Bonham

Talk about old-school, John came out of the 70s and has some of the longest drum solos ever. The guy's ridiculous.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
Portnoy wipes the floor with Barker, but I do agree with Neil on that list. Best drummer alive.
Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

It's nice to se someone giving props to jazz drummers.

Stick ?uestlove on that list too. So fresh, so funky, so tight. Listen to this and this and try to tell me that isn't some insane groove.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
Kieth Moon is better than all of them...
halo3-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 halo3-player
Member since 2006 • 6036 Posts
Dave lombardo is pretty good too. And i agree with Pert
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
Dave Mackintosh.
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C-Lee
Dave Mackintosh.AirGuitarist87
Dragonforce? I'll pass.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
Hellhammer, Mike Portnoy, Sean Reinert, Kai Hahto! are all great
Komodog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Komodog
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts
Mike Portnoy, Dominic Howard, and Neil Peart all come to mind
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"]Dave Mackintosh.C-Lee
Dragonforce? I'll pass.

no.. good drummer!
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
Phil Rudd (AC/DC) is pretty good, Neil is good too. but Keith Moon is probably the greatest (The Who)
Wicked_Spades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wicked_Spades
Member since 2007 • 1147 Posts
Jazz drummers have tons of hidden talent that no one pays attention to. And Mackintosh ain't that good - he's the average metal drummer. Keith Moon's sick but I don't know if I wanna put him above the other guys. Definitely top 10. There's tons of drummers. Glad to see people here with some taste :P
jehuty12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jehuty12
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts
The exclusion of Keith Moon in the list is disturbing:(
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sAndroid17
Jazz drummers have tons of hidden talent that no one pays attention to. And Mackintosh ain't that good - he's the average metal drummer. Keith Moon's sick but I don't know if I wanna put him above the other guys. Definitely top 10. There's tons of drummers. Glad to see people here with some taste :PWicked_Spades
average, no way. he is at least a "good"metal drummer, if not great.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AirGuitarist87
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"]Dave Mackintosh.C-Lee
Dragonforce? I'll pass.

Whether you like him or not is up to you, but you have to admit he has the stamina of a race horse. :P
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 C-Lee
[QUOTE="C-Lee"][QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"]Dave Mackintosh.AirGuitarist87
Dragonforce? I'll pass.

Whether you like him or not is up to you, but you have to admit he has the stamina of a race horse. :P

I guess. but that video he is just doing the same fill over and over. BTW, Dragonforce = one of the worst live bands ever.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sAndroid17
also Van Williams, Thomas Walling and Jason Rullo are great!
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"][QUOTE="C-Lee"] Dragonforce? I'll pass.C-Lee

I guess. but that video he is just doing the same fill over and over. BTW, Dragonforce = one of the worst live bands ever.

wrong again, have seen them twice and both times they were great.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka (RIP)

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sAndroid17

ragek1ll589
RIP
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="C-Lee"][QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"]Dave Mackintosh.sAndroid17
Dragonforce? I'll pass.

no.. good drummer!

Indeed,he's a machine.So is Alex Holzwarth by the way.
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bebopoutlaw3gun

wrong again, have seen them twice and both times they were great. sAndroid17

I saw them once when one of my buddy's friends ditched out on him so I ended up going for free.

And lemmie tell you, I woulda been mad if I payed to see that show. They were really sloppy. But everyone has bad nights so Im not gonna pass judgement. They're not really my kind of music anyways.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="C-Lee"] Dragonforce? I'll pass.Lto_thaG
no.. good drummer!

Rhapsody FTW! :P
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"]no.. good drummer!sAndroid17

Rhapsody FTW! :P

You got that right ;)
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 C-Lee

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]wrong again, have seen them twice and both times they were great. bebopoutlaw3gun

My friend saw them and i have seen videos of them. They are just garbage live. My friend had to leave because it was so lame.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AirGuitarist87

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]wrong again, have seen them twice and both times they were great. bebopoutlaw3gun

I saw them once when one of my buddy's friends ditched out on him so I ended up going for free.

And lemmie tell you, I woulda been mad if I payed to see that show. They were really sloppy. But everyone has bad nights so Im not gonna pass judgement. They're not really my kind of music anyways.

It's a refreshing change to see someone make a valid point about Dragonforce live. Most of the time it's "I saw a video recorded on a camera phone posted on YouTube". I too have seen them twice live and both times they were incredible. Here's a good example. In all honesty, I can forgive sloppy playing, which they are known to do, so long as the show itself is entertaining. Petrucci may be a note perfect player but he is so boring to watch.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sAndroid17

no doubt, its just annoying because so many people, well everyone rags on them because of all these dodgy videos on youtube, and hardley anyone has seen them in real life. its just basicly impossible to re-create there studio stuff because its all so layered, and or what they do its a pretty good effort. and all the videos of them are poor quality hany cms. where is a sound board clip>? of course your not going to get a good sound with that
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"][QUOTE="bebopoutlaw3gun"]

wrong again, have seen them twice and both times they were great. sAndroid17

It's a refreshing change to see someone make a valid point about Dragonforce live. Most of the time it's "I saw a video recorded on a camera phone posted on YouTube". I too have seen them twice live and both times they were incredible. Here's a good example. In all honesty, I can forgive sloppy playing, which they are known to do, so long as the show itself is entertaining. Petrucci may be a note perfect player but he is so boring to watch.

once again, its me and you vs the world :P
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"][QUOTE="bebopoutlaw3gun"]

sAndroid17

once again, its me and you vs the world :P

Are you serious? All of Dream Theater are amazing to watch. Even James.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AirGuitarist87
once again, its me and you vs the world :PsAndroid17
I get the feeling that one day we're going to do a Thelma & Louise, but with the end solo to Valley of the Damned. :lol:
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]once again, its me and you vs the world :PAirGuitarist87
I get the feeling that one day we're going to do a Thelma & Louise, but with the end solo to Valley of the Damned. :lol:

oh god i hope so! :D
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AirGuitarist87
Are you serious? All of Dream Theater are amazing to watch. Even James.airg6
Everything I've seen of Petrucci has been him stood stock still, guitar under his armpit, staring at the fretboard. Give me a leather clad Yngwie jumping around any day of the week.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="airg6"]Are you serious? All of Dream Theater are amazing to watch. Even James.AirGuitarist87
Everything I've seen of Petrucci has been him stood stock still, guitar under his armpit, staring at the fretboard. Give me a leather clad Yngwie jumping around any day of the week.

im staying out of this one :P, Petrucci is seriously god though, as is Malmsteen!
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 airg6
My top 5 drummers 1.Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater) 2.Gene Hoglan(Death,Dark Angel and a whole bunch of others) 3.Keith Moon(The Who) 4.Sean Reinhart(Death and Cynic) 5.Casey Grillo(Kamelot)
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
Josh Freese is my favourite.
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 airg6
[QUOTE="airg6"]Are you serious? All of Dream Theater are amazing to watch. Even James.AirGuitarist87

In all honesty and in my opinion, Malmsteen is overrated. I'll take MAB any day over him.
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bebopoutlaw3gun

Everything I've seen of Petrucci has been him stood stock still, guitar under his armpit, staring at the fretboard. Give me a leather clad Yngwie jumping around any day of the week.AirGuitarist87

Definitely. Im always disappointed when I see a show and everyone is stationary. It especially kills me when a drummer shows no emotion cause he thinks he's too cool for that. Cause seriously, if the drummer isn't feelin the show is gonna be a train wreck.

Speaking of feel, Steve Jordan comes to mind. In this clip he plays some really simple stuff but if your booty ain't movin take your dead ass home. Jordan does a lot of studio work and played with John Mayer for a while.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sAndroid17
My top 5 drummers 1.Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater) 2.Gene Hoglan(Death,Dark Angel and a whole bunch of others) 3.Keith Moon(The Who) 4.Sean Reinhart(Death and Cynic) 5.Casey Grillo(Kamelot)airg6
Sean was on my list too :)
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AirGuitarist87
im staying out of this one :P, Petrucci is seriously god though, as is Malmsteen! sAndroid17
Haha, I'm not saying Petrucci is bad, musically he's amazing, but as a showman he's just dull.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGd53pmiZs Buddy Rich is very possibly the greatest drummer ever. Watch that whole thing through and you will be thoroughly amazed. It's not only technical talent: the man has style about it.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"][QUOTE="airg6"]Are you serious? All of Dream Theater are amazing to watch. Even James.airg6

In all honesty and in my opinion, Malmsteen is overrated. I'll take MAB any day over him.

MAB is so boring, dont get me wrong Nitro is one of my favourite bands ever, but seriously that guy is too technical for LIFE lol
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]im staying out of this one :P, Petrucci is seriously god though, as is Malmsteen! AirGuitarist87
Haha, I'm not saying Petrucci is bad, musically he's amazing, but as a showman he's just dull.

yeah hes like dave mustaine, just standing there.' its like, geeze your in a huge band. be happy and get into it.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
[QUOTE="ragek1ll589"]

sAndroid17
RIP

Decapitated frigging rocks! Vitek was hella tight. What's the deal with Blink128 and a nobody like Travis Barker anyway? :lol:
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bebopoutlaw3gun

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]im staying out of this one :P, Petrucci is seriously god though, as is Malmsteen! AirGuitarist87

David Bowie puts on a hell of a good show. I got to see Alice Cooper a while ago and damn. He kills it. So did Rob Zombie. I was him last year in a tiny ass venue. Held maybe 2500 people which was real cool cause at the time he was playing stadiums with Ozzy. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. That man is a showmen.

It goes without saying that George Clinton and the P Funk All Stars put on a great show too. For a bunch of dudes (mostly) well into their 60's they can still funk.

EDIT: While ya'll is talking about guitar players don't forget Dick Dale. Surf music at it's best. Eddie Hazel is one of my favorites. Give the video a little bit. That man becomes his guitar. It's a shame he died so young.

airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 airg6
[QUOTE="airg6"][QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"] Everything I've seen of Petrucci has been him stood stock still, guitar under his armpit, staring at the fretboard. Give me a leather clad Yngwie jumping around any day of the week.sAndroid17

MAB is so boring, dont get me wrong Nitro is one of my favourite bands ever, but seriously that guy is too technical for LIFE lol

That's why I like him so much. He is in my opinion, the best shredder of all time. I don't go to a show to see some idiot who thinks he's funny prance around like a little girl while messing up his playing. I go to a show for the music. But If they can do both at the same time, thats a definate plus.
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 airg6
[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"]im staying out of this one :P, Petrucci is seriously god though, as is Malmsteen! sAndroid17

yeah hes like dave mustaine, just standing there.' its like, geeze your in a huge band. be happy and get into it.

Yeah. There's one instance where I wished he would move more. Dave just leans into the mic and plays his heart away on guitar. He almost looks Emo when he does that..
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="airg6"]In all honesty and in my opinion, Malmsteen is overrated. I'll take MAB any day over him.airg6

That's why I like him so much. He is in my opinion, the best shredder of all time. I don't go to a show to see some idiot who thinks he's funny prance around like a little girl while messing up his playing. I go to a show for the music. But If they can do both at the same time, thats a definate plus.

yeah he is definately the best shredder, ever./ im making a shredder union, want in?
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sAndroid17
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"] Haha, I'm not saying Petrucci is bad, musically he's amazing, but as a showman he's just dull.airg6

Yeah. There's one instance where I wished he would move more. Dave just leans into the mic and plays his heart away on guitar. He almost looks Emo when he does that..

Dave is emo:P
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 airg6
[QUOTE="airg6"][QUOTE="sAndroid17"] MAB is so boring, dont get me wrong Nitro is one of my favourite bands ever, but seriously that guy is too technical for LIFE lolsAndroid17

yeah he is definately the best shredder, ever./ im making a shredder union, want in?

Sure. Its about time someone made a Shredder union.