Where do you think hip-hop will go next?

• 52 results
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
Hip-Hop throught its lifespan has been a regional thing and at particular times a certain region has dominated the airwaves. Down South hip-hop, while still popular, is on ther verge of a decline and is going to go from "the" main form of rap to just another aspect of rap. What do you think is gonna take its place...what new "trend" or style of hip-hop is gonna fill the void that the down south hip-hop is gonna leave once its popularity dies down?
bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bradleybhoy
Member since 2005 • 6501 Posts
I think grimy New York Hip-Hop will have a resurgence. Also semi-lyrical crack rap will be around for a while too. I think it's really unpredictable though.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts

Call it a homer pick, but I really think the East will make a comeback :? Southern music will still be popular, but I think the East is going to make a strong case for being the 2nd most played hip hop music out there :?

And I think backpackers, and underground artists are going to continue to get record deals, and maybe even get radio play in the coming years....Murs, Little Brother, Kidz In The Hall...all are on major record labels, and I wouldn't be suprised if more start to sign on. Music sales are on a decline for a reason, and record labels are looking for a new direction...why not promote talented artists?

Avatar image for deactivated-62d35c9a221da
deactivated-62d35c9a221da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-62d35c9a221da
Member since 2004 • 5829 Posts
I think grimy New York Hip-Hop will have a resurgence. Also semi-lyrical crack rap will be around for a while too. I think it's really unpredictable though.bradleybhoy
Word up, nobody saw NWA kicking off things for the West and Gangsta Rap & nobody saw the Native Tongues movement blossoming back in the early 90s. So yeah, I don't really know where Hip-Hop could go as the trends and whatnot are unpredictable most of the time.
WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 WizengamotX
Member since 2003 • 4548 Posts
While I love my local Northwest ish (Sir Mix-A-Lot, Blue Scholars, Common Market, and Source of Labor), I'm gonna have to go with the South exploding with even better hip-hop in the next couple years and then a ressurection of East-Coast. The genre will die off as a whole (at least in the mainstream), through the next ten years (not just IMO). Mainstream rap just can't last. Maybe the next big thing is techno or hell, even back to classical or just a little jump back to rock. Every generation has it's music. Our generation is becoming adult and the next generation is coming in.
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
i hope mainstream dies, and new artists like the ones who carved the way for hip-hop arise, with, good, smart rap.
Giangio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Giangio
Member since 2003 • 11759 Posts
Hyphy? :lol: "Tell me when to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
ajax13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ajax13
Member since 2006 • 953 Posts
i dont know.i think hip hop might get further into this diamonds s***.unless some real hip hop artist(s) rises i think hip hop may see its final days and turn into some real bull.
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts
I don't think the South is going anywhere for awhile. People like Wayne, T.I,, and Jeezy are gonna dominate things for 5+ more years.... maybe even up to 10 years. That's just how I feel on it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

New York gonna dominate. And Game, when he releases his 3rd album early '08 its gonna be a classic for sure. Saigon emerging too is sick, Kanyes new album coming out in september need I say more? "The Cool" gonna be up there as well.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

I think that american hip-hop is SLOWLY getting passed their era of crap with people like Lupe Saigon etc. emerging into the mainstream quite well. I still tihnk it will be a long time though.

Australian hip-hop will continue to grow an prosper! :P
As will English.

jugend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jugend
Member since 2003 • 3193 Posts
I'm not really sure, especially in terms of what region will be most popular.

Hank Shocklee said some things last year in an interview with waxpoetics mag that I think is interesting. He said that he's moving toward a more electronic sound with his new music.

excerpts: "In electronic music, I can use any kind of sounds to create landscape."

"Shocktronica is my electronic label. The music is a mosh of different styles: ambient, trip-hop, hip-hop, drum and bass, and more."  He also said he's working on an album that will have a film along with it to be released on Astralwerks, called "Subsonic Frequencies of the Fourth Dimension." I haven't heard any more about this, though.

It doesn't sound too much different than what people like Bambaataa, Newcleus, Mantronix, Cybotron etc did in the 80s and what the guys at Ninja Tune have been doing for a while now in addition to others like Fat Jon. But it's still interesting to hear, especially if Hank Shocklee is going to be working with PE again..

As a side note, here's interviews with Chuck D and Hank Shocklee that are sevearl years old, but worth reading...and I don't remember it ever being posted here : http://stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/public_enemy.html

PS: I'd also be willing to post more of that interview with H. Shocklee if anyone's interested.

stubby_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stubby_01
Member since 2005 • 2731 Posts
I think New York is going to rein supreme... Most of the best artist are there atm
Improbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Improbus
Member since 2003 • 15472 Posts
Watch out for the midwest. Chicago is always goin strong, they have had Common, Lupe and Kanye all with big albums in the last 5 years. Minneapolis, I read an article that Rhymesayers thought that this Brother Ali was gonna be one of the first albums they put out that would hit the mainstream and make its mark. I wouldnt be shocked if there next big project, perhaps the next Atmosphere album, really gets some recognition. They need a good CD that can crack the top 25.
IsThisIt_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IsThisIt_basic
Member since 2002 • 27130 Posts
I'm not really sure, especially in terms of what region will be most popular.

Hank Shocklee said some things last year in an interview with waxpoetics mag that I think is interesting. He said that he's moving toward a more electronic sound with his new music.

excerpts: "In electronic music, I can use any kind of sounds to create landscape."

"Shocktronica is my electronic label. The music is a mosh of different styles: ambient, trip-hop, hip-hop, drum and bass, and more."  He also said he's working on an album that will have a film along with it to be released on Astralwerks, called "Subsonic Frequencies of the Fourth Dimension." I haven't heard any more about this, though.

It doesn't sound too much different than what people like Bambaataa, Newcleus, Mantronix, Cybotron etc did in the 80s and what the guys at Ninja Tune have been doing for a while now in addition to others like Fat Jon. But it's still interesting to hear, especially if Hank Shocklee is going to be working with PE again..

As a side note, here's interviews with Chuck D and Hank Shocklee that are sevearl years old, but worth reading...and I don't remember it ever being posted here : http://stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/public_enemy.html

PS: I'd also be willing to post more of that interview with H. Shocklee if anyone's interested.

jugend

Yeah, this is also why East Coast rap - real East Coast rap, not just rappers who happen to be from the east coast but lack any regional characteristics (looking at Mims, Little Brother, etc.) - will never be #1 again.  Sample-based music is, ultimately, too limiting ... only a choice few people (premo, ced gee, bomb squad, etc) are really able to do anything they wanted with samples; beyond that, most people are just limited to whatever the sample will let them do.  With synths, you can create pretty much whatever you want, and there's the bonus of no sample clearance ...

IsThisIt_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IsThisIt_basic
Member since 2002 • 27130 Posts
I also think the new Ultramagnetic MC's album should be a pretty interesting sign of where things are headed ... there aren't too many groups that are releasing new material after about 20 years in the game.  I seen in an interview that they're using the same lead that Lil Jon uses in all his songs on their album, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out ...
Improbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Improbus
Member since 2003 • 15472 Posts

I also think the new Ultramagnetic MC's album should be a pretty interesting sign of where things are headed ... there aren't too many groups that are releasing new material after about 20 years in the game. I seen in an interview that they're using the same lead that Lil Jon uses in all his songs on their album, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out ...IsThisIt_basic

Didn't the new album bomb? 

WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WizengamotX

I think that american hip-hop is SLOWLY getting passed their era of crap with people like Lupe Saigon etc. emerging into the mainstream quite well. I still tihnk it will be a long time though.

As will English.

Foolz3h

I don't think sooo. If anything Filipino Hip Hop/ Rap is going to get a shine in the spotlight. Already DJ Babu of Dialated Peoples and the Beat Junkies has gotten ample time in the spotlight (the beginning of Southern Rap and Left Coast involved Flipinos as well). I personally don't even like the genre but I'd just like to let you all know it's out there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-62d35c9a221da
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

WizengamotX

I don't think sooo.If anything Filipino Hip Hop/ Rap is going to get a shine in the spotlight. Already DJ Babu of Dialated Peoples and the Beat Junkies has gotten ample time in the spotlight (the beginning of Southern Rap and Left Coast involved Flipinos as well). I personally don't even like the genre but I'd just like to let you all know it's out there.

:lol: I wish....anyway you Filipino too dog?....

WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WizengamotX
[QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

HighPowered94

I don't think sooo.If anything Filipino Hip Hop/ Rap is going to get a shine in the spotlight. Already DJ Babu of Dialated Peoples and the Beat Junkies has gotten ample time in the spotlight (the beginning of Southern Rap and Left Coast involved Flipinos as well). I personally don't even like the genre but I'd just like to let you all know it's out there.

Nope. I just know alot about rap... Do you like Mobbstarr that much? I hear it's damn popular with alla yall but I can't find any samples anywhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-62d35c9a221da
[QUOTE="HighPowered94"][QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

WizengamotX

Nope. I just know alot about rap... Do you like Mobbstarr that much? I hear it's damn popular with alla yall but I can't find any samples anywhere.

I'm not into the Filipino Rap scene as much because I have little knowledge of it. :?
WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WizengamotX
[QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="HighPowered94"][QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

HighPowered94

I'm not into the Filipino Rap scene as much because I have little knowledge of it. :?

Aight it's kool dog. I'm down wit' whatever so whatever haha If ya know what I'm sayin'.

rubbersouI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rubbersouI
Member since 2003 • 10008 Posts
akon will be featured on every album.
Knife_Run

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Knife_Run
Member since 2002 • 4678 Posts
every album will be akonrubbersouI
Pyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pyro
Member since 2002 • 14564 Posts

st. laz and jo dancer - the future

murdamuzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 murdamuzik
Member since 2005 • 6498 Posts
If it comes out from six feet under the soil I will be amazed.  At this point I really do feel as though Hip Hop is dead.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

WizengamotX

I don't think sooo. If anything Filipino Hip Hop/ Rap is going to get a shine in the spotlight. Already DJ Babu of Dialated Peoples and the Beat Junkies has gotten ample time in the spotlight (the beginning of Southern Rap and Left Coast involved Flipinos as well). I personally don't even like the genre but I'd just like to let you all know it's out there.

I don't mean worldwide recongition but locally it's going quite well.
I doubt we'll ever be popular worldwide. ;)
Same with English although you get the odd Grimer get some airplay (Dizzee Rascal for example*).

*Example owns not that he has anything to do with the above post!

Giangio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Giangio
Member since 2003 • 11759 Posts

As will English.

Foolz3h

Same with English although you get the odd Grimer get some airplay (Dizzee Rascal for example*).

While his voice may be too damn much at times, his production is pretty damn tight, and he does that **** himself.
Scuervo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Scuervo
Member since 2004 • 12978 Posts
It'll involve a dance where I'll have to do a backflip while picking my nose or somethin' like that
jugend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jugend
Member since 2003 • 3193 Posts

[QUOTE="IsThisIt_basic"]I also think the new Ultramagnetic MC's album should be a pretty interesting sign of where things are headed ... there aren't too many groups that are releasing new material after about 20 years in the game. I seen in an interview that they're using the same lead that Lil Jon uses in all his songs on their album, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out ...Improbus

Didn't the new album bomb? 

That's what I was thinking...still haven't heard it yet though.

WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WizengamotX

As will English.

Foolz3h

Who the hell is Rascal? I'm sure he has never been on any airwaves near me.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"][QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

WizengamotX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzee_Rascal

The "Showtime" single was huge here for awhile.
And I saw someone on here post something about him in the favourite Uk rapper thread so he must've got some airplay in the US aswell.

Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts

[QUOTE="rubbersouI"]every album will be akonKnife_Run

Truth...that, or the pussycat dolls...

Id like it to go in a sort've LB direction... 

[QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"][QUOTE="WizengamotX"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

As will English.

Foolz3h

And I saw someone on here post something about him in the favourite Uk rapper thread so he must've got some airplay in the US aswell.

That was me who made that thread, and Im from the UK :P

Dizzee rascal sucks balls. 

WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WizengamotX

[QUOTE="Knife_Run"][QUOTE="rubbersouI"]every album will be akonEragon_11

As will English.

Foolz3h

Yeah we haven't had any UK rappers lol cept for that one chick who was hyped for a couple days EDIT: Lady Sovereign, and Clivaringz.

jubjub13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jubjub13
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts
doesnt the detox come out in september, i think that will be the only rap album to do platnum numbers in a long while. wait has canada had its turn yet? hahahahahahaha
TheMutableOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheMutableOne
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts
I think hip-hop will go DOWN THE DRAIN!!! Barely any of my friends listen to it, and the ones that do listen to radio garbage. A couple listen to old school, and some good Hip-Hop that has came out in the last few years though. I love old school Hip-Hop, and listen to it often. Oh, and I don't wanna hear that "you gotta listen to the underground artists" bull**** either. I've heard 'em and there's not anything new or special. Sure, there are a few albums I'd like to listen that are coming in the future, but that's it.. a few. Current Hip-Hop is a dieng cow that has been beatin and is now being milked for what little is left. At least that's how I see it.. I hope I'm proved wrong.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fat_rob
IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-62d35c9a221da
IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...fat_rob
I STILL highly doubt that....
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fat_rob
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...HighPowered94
I STILL highly doubt that....

I did too, but it's kinda like 50 said. Imus didn't get fired because of the comment he made, he got fired cause of the money his company lost due to advertisers dropping support for his show (I think that makes a lot of sense)...if Sharpton is able to get board rooms to drop hard to defend hip-hop, then labels are gonna change focus due to the loss of money that is staring them in the face. It seems like a n unlikely event, but I really think it might happen this time around. I don't know why, but I just feel like the hip-hop critics are not playing around anymore.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Colt45fool

IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...fat_rob
I think the problem with that, is that no one cares about those dudes...what are people going to say when Joe Budden drops a new album? He's already been dubbed a one hit wonder, with "Pump It Up"...Joell Ortiz and Royce are nobody's atm, and I can't see either blowing up...why? Because as with all musicians, artists don't become big, or household names, until they have an extremely catchy song, or a party song, or something of the sort.

So even if record labels are putting more of an emphasis on lyrical hip hop, I don't believe it will change the demographic of what makes someone a household name, or a big name in hip hop. You'll never become big, if you don't have that one hit single, and typically that one hit single is something like a party song for a hip hop artist...for a pop or punk artist it's usaully something catchy...

WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WizengamotX

[QUOTE="fat_rob"]IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...Colt45fool

I think the problem with that, is that no one cares about those dudes...what are people going to say when Joe Budden drops a new album? He's already been dubbed a one hit wonder, with "Pump It Up"...Joell Ortiz and Royce are nobody's atm, and I can't see either blowing up...why? Because as with all musicians, artists don't become big, or household names, until they have an extremely catchy song, or a party song, or something of the sort.

So even if record labels are putting more of an emphasis on lyrical hip hop, I don't believe it will change the demographic of what makes someone a household name, or a big name in hip hop. You'll never become big, if you don't have that one hit single, and typically that one hit single is something like a party song for a hip hop artist...for a pop or punk artist it's usaully something catchy...

As I said before, people these days want something they can dance to.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Foolz3h

[QUOTE="Knife_Run"][QUOTE="rubbersouI"]every album will be akonEragon_11

As will English.

Foolz3h

It was you who posted the thread but you did not post the comments on Dizze Rascall. An American did I think. You then said he sucked though. :)
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"] You might have made the thread but you did not make the comment on Dizze Rascall (though you said he sucked when the guy commented on him) the person who commented on he was American I think.

[QUOTE="Knife_Run"][QUOTE="rubbersouI"]every album will be akonWizengamotX

As will English.

Foolz3h

Yeah we haven't had any UK rappers lol cept for that one chick who was hyped for a couple days EDIT: Lady Sovereign, and Clivaringz.

Isn't Cilvaringz dutch?
bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bradleybhoy
Member since 2005 • 6501 Posts

Isn't Cilvaringz dutch?Foolz3h

:o

mrobustion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrobustion
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
it's going to be pretty hard to push the boundries of hip hop. in the 70's and 80's it was all about delivery and technique mixed in with disco and funk(party music). early 90's was party music and g funk. 90's to present seems to be dominated with a blend of r/b and rap (not hip hop) and how much money you make or hittin' up the club, gay rap. so we went from excellent to crap and it seems that we are merging back to basics, slowly and hopefully. though the underground has been a hit or miss.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"]IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...Colt45fool

I think the problem with that, is that no one cares about those dudes...what are people going to say when Joe Budden drops a new album? He's already been dubbed a one hit wonder, with "Pump It Up"...Joell Ortiz and Royce are nobody's atm, and I can't see either blowing up...why? Because as with all musicians, artists don't become big, or household names, until they have an extremely catchy song, or a party song, or something of the sort.

So even if record labels are putting more of an emphasis on lyrical hip hop, I don't believe it will change the demographic of what makes someone a household name, or a big name in hip hop. You'll never become big, if you don't have that one hit single, and typically that one hit single is something like a party song for a hip hop artist...for a pop or punk artist it's usaully something catchy...

People are sheep though...They listened to Budden on Pump it Up and Royce on Boom because it was being pushed on the radio. They listen to T.I., Wayne, ect. because it's on the radio and it's being pushed down their throats. This game is all about co-signs and what's being played on the regular on MTV/Urban and Pop Radio. If labels wanna push Joell, Royce, and Budden then the fans will prolly follow given the right conditions. Sure they need a hot single, but sheep nature of the fans can be exploited.
Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts

[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]Isn't Cilvaringz dutch?bradleybhoy

Somethinglike that.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Colt45fool
[QUOTE="Colt45fool"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"]IMO, lyrical hip-hop depends on Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce Da 5'9". Those three are the threee best lyrical dudes rockin' the mic atm, no one even comes close imo. Phonte, One Be Lo, ect. are gonna stay underground, but I really think Royce, Budden, and Ortiz, given that chance, will blow up and save the game. I'm almost positive that's gonna happen to, hip-hop is gonna undergo a huge change due to pressure from the media that will force majors to change the type of music they are heavily supporting. Before the whole Imus situation I would have said the party ish was gonna continue to dominate the air ways, but now with the pressure hip-hop is getting from the media, I think labels will stray away from the degrading hip-hop and focus more on lyrical hip-hop that is easier to defend. That's just my opinon...fat_rob

I think the problem with that, is that no one cares about those dudes...what are people going to say when Joe Budden drops a new album? He's already been dubbed a one hit wonder, with "Pump It Up"...Joell Ortiz and Royce are nobody's atm, and I can't see either blowing up...why? Because as with all musicians, artists don't become big, or household names, until they have an extremely catchy song, or a party song, or something of the sort.

So even if record labels are putting more of an emphasis on lyrical hip hop, I don't believe it will change the demographic of what makes someone a household name, or a big name in hip hop. You'll never become big, if you don't have that one hit single, and typically that one hit single is something like a party song for a hip hop artist...for a pop or punk artist it's usaully something catchy...

People are sheep though...They listened to Budden on Pump it Up and Royce on Boom because it was being pushed on the radio. They listen to T.I., Wayne, ect. because it's on the radio and it's being pushed down their throats. This game is all about co-signs and what's being played on the regular on MTV/Urban and Pop Radio. If labels wanna push Joell, Royce, and Budden then the fans will prolly follow given the right conditions. Sure they need a hot single, but sheep nature of the fans can be exploited.

Yeah, but Budden had Pump It Up, and the album went gold...Royce had Boom, and the album didn't crack the Billboard 200 :? Pushing a song on the radio doesn't mean you'll have huge results with sales. How many Tupac albums have come out, with the single not coming out until the day the album dropped, or not coming out at all, and the album still debuts in the top 10, and goes platnium....it's more about household names, which Tupac is, even a decade after his death.

Now obviously Ortiz, Budden, and Royce can become household names...but it's going to take a string of record pushed, catchy singles on the radio. It's yet to be seen if any of these guys can do that...

murdamuzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 murdamuzik
Member since 2005 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]Isn't Cilvaringz dutch?bradleybhoy

Naw, he's Turkish or something Middle Eastern. 

Pyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pyro
Member since 2002 • 14564 Posts

lol Canada will never run anything when it comes to entertainment...

...we like to rely on the states to do the work...

K-OS owns though.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="bradleybhoy"]

[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]Isn't Cilvaringz dutch?murdamuzik

Naw, he's Turkish or something Middle Eastern. 

According to wiki (crap source I know) he is from Holland but he is of Moroccan descent.