Skylake-Y (Core M) Coming H2 2015

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

A little bit of old news, at IDF Shenzhen 2015, Intel was showing off some prototype Skylake tablets. One of the devices shown off was this fanless 2-in-1 sporting a 3840x2160 (4K) 12.5" display, USB type C and Skylake-Y.

Skylake-Y (4 W) will bring improved performance and power saving over Broadwell-Y (4.5 W). This will also allow Skylake-Y tablets/2-in-1's to be thinner and lighter than current Broadwell-Y devices. Skylake will launch for desktops, laptops and tablets in the second half of this year. Devices should launch with Windows 10 and support for DirectX 12. Games and applications that are optimized for DX12 will see a boost in performance and/or require less power from the device, allowing for an increase in battery life. More news should come from Computex Taipei 2015, which starts on June 2nd.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Is there a release date? Because there are rumors that the Surface Pro 4 may come with a new next-gen Intel Processor and may end up being fan-less, and I don't mean that it will use the Core M, instead it will be the i-series instead. I don't know how clear that rumor would be though.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

lol.. microsoft surface still uses a fan?

just another reason iPad is better

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

lol.. microsoft surface still uses a fan?

just another reason iPad is better

Surface 3 doesn't use a fan, plus the Surface Pro 4 isn't meant to go against the iPad, Einstein.....

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NVIDIATI

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Is there a release date? Because there are rumors that the Surface Pro 4 may come with a new next-gen Intel Processor and may end up being fan-less, and I don't mean that it will use the Core M, instead it will be the i-series instead. I don't know how clear that rumor would be though.

We might see Skylake parts hit the market as soon as mid-August (IDF San Francisco 2015 starts on August 15th).

Here are 4 scenarios:

1. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 (fanless) with Broadwell-Y (Core M) before August. (I think this option is extremely unlikely).
  2. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 with Broadwell-U (Core i5/i7) before August. (These are the same parts in the 2015 MacBook Air. If Microsoft wants to release a new Surface Pro before August, they will likely announce it tomorrow at Build with these parts).
  3. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 (fanless) with Skylake-Y (Core M) with the launch of Windows 10 around August. (This option would allow for a thinner/lighter fanless device with close to i7 Surface Pro 3 performance).
  4. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 with Skylake-U (Core i5/i7) with the launch of Windows 10 around August. (This option would still require a fan, but allow for a considerable boost in performance. The chassis might be thinner/lighter, but not by much).

For reference, the current Surface Pro 3 uses Haswell-Y in the i3 model, and Haswell-U in the i5 and i7 models.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@NVIDIATI said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

We might see Skylake parts hit the market as soon as mid-August (IDF San Francisco 2015 starts on August 15th).

Here are 4 scenarios:

1. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 (fanless) with Broadwell-Y (Core M) before August. (I think this option is extremely unlikely).
  2. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 with Broadwell-U (Core i5/i7) before August. (These are the same parts in the 2015 MacBook Air. If Microsoft wants to release a new Surface Pro before August, they will likely announce it tomorrow at Build with these parts).
  3. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 (fanless) with Skylake-Y (Core M) with the launch of Windows 10 around August. (This option would allow for a thinner/lighter fanless device with close to i7 Surface Pro 3 performance).
  4. Microsoft launches a Surface Pro 4 with Skylake-U (Core i5/i7) with the launch of Windows 10 around August. (This option would still require a fan, but allow for a considerable boost in performance. The chassis might be thinner/lighter, but not by much).

For reference, the current Surface Pro 3 uses Haswell-Y in the i3 model, and Haswell-U in the i5 and i7 models.

Wow, Skylake sounds very impressive! Because the current Core M, is very disappointing, I would go for a Skylake Core M instead for better work and productivity

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NVIDIATI

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Wow, Skylake sounds very impressive! Because the current Core M, is very disappointing, I would go for a Skylake Core M instead for better work and productivity

Disappointing? How so? When properly implemented, Broadwell-Y Core M can offer performance higher than the current i5 Surface Pro 3, except it does it in a fanless chassis. So far Apple and Lenovo have had some terrible Core M implementations, ASUS on the other hand has been very successful in their implementations, take a look at the UX305.

ASUS UX305 ($699) with the entry level Core M 5Y10c (note that it beats out other devices using higher end Core M chips):

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man:

"The surface Isn't meant to be compared to a tablet," you say?

Here's a quote from you in another thread:

"Meh, Engadget kept comparing it towards a laptop, when it's really should be a tablet. I plan on picking one up myself with just the pen for note taking"

LOL

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man:

"The surface Isn't meant to be compared to a tablet," you say?

Here's a quote from you in another thread:

"Meh, Engadget kept comparing it towards a laptop, when it's really should be a tablet. I plan on picking one up myself with just the pen for note taking"

LOL

Read my post again! Plus, Engadget, Cnet, TheVerge, Gizmodo, are full of Apple Fanboys and don't know what they're talking about! Surface 3 = Tablet, Surface PRO 3 = Laptop

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NVIDIATI

A new rumor of Surface Pro 4 specifications claims a fanless design with Broadwell-U (not Broadwell-Y / Core M). If true, this would also mean they're planning to launch it before the Skylake release (otherwise I see no benefit to this design). Fanless U series is also quite unlikely in a portable device, so take this news with a grain of salt.

SKATAMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SKATAMAN
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

@mister-man:

I love when clueless people say things they know nothing about.

I have both and the iPad AIR is collecting dust in the corner, the iPad is better because it has no fan?

Try doing some real work with a iPad and see how things work out,....look the iPad is a great entertainment device but the Surface series is both.

That's the most idiotic thing I've heard in a while

But back to that reference design 2-1 tablet it can't come soon enough at least something similar.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FireEmblem_Man

@SKATAMAN said:

@mister-man:

I love when clueless people say things they know nothing about.

I have both and the iPad AIR is collecting dust in the corner, the iPad is better because it has no fan?

Try doing some real work with a iPad and see how things work out,....look the iPad is a great entertainment device but the Surface series is both.

That's the most idiotic thing I've heard in a while

But back to that reference design 2-1 tablet it can't come soon enough at least something similar.

He will never learn the real truth that a lot of employee's hate using their iPad's for work