Samsung vs Apple case

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Any thoughts? Lots of condemning evidence that really proves Samsung copied Apple. Even the judge is annoyed and acknowledges Samsungs underhanded tactics in court.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I saw an interesting article about all of this. Apple's moves and motives in this case are not obviously apparent. Their legal action here is remeniscent of their advertising schemes. I'd encourage people to look at the long-term effects this may have, and even in cases the immediate effect. Notice how even comedians like Conan O'Brien are making fun not of Apple, but of Samsung... Public perception.
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

Pretty much every other Apple lawsuit was BS and the patent system needs an overhaul. However, even as an Android and Samsung fanboy, I will say that it is blatantly obvious that Samsung copied Apple with the original Galaxy S and GTab 10.1. There is no denying it.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

nokoh.png

So galaxy S design is inspired by iphone? lol

alternative-designs-640x399.png

Clearly everyone copies apple interface then so if something like a grid of icons is supposed to a protected thing then apple should ask for royalties from everyone.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

if something like a grid of icons is supposed to a protected thing then apple should ask for royalties from everyone.

Gambler_3
My thoughts as well Clearly most smartphones use that system now
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

if something like a grid of icons is supposed to a protected thing then apple should ask for royalties from everyone.

Darthkaiser

My thoughts as well Clearly most smartphones use that system now

Not just now it's been like this for a long time.

k750iimage3.jpg

Thats the application menu of a nearly decade old phone.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deleteduser198
:roll: Icon layout? Seriously? I guess you haven't been keeping tabs with the trial. It goes far beyond that. Do yourself a favor and read up. Too muh evidence including INTERNAL SAMSUNG DOCUMENTS that clearly show Samsung has a huge boner for copying Apple. Icon arrangement is nothing.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gambler_3

:roll: Icon layout? Seriously? I guess you haven't been keeping tabs with the trial. It goes far beyond that. Do yourself a favor and read up. Too muh evidence including INTERNAL SAMSUNG DOCUMENTS that clearly show Samsung has a huge boner for copying Apple. Icon arrangement is nothing.Kid-Atari
It's called keeping a close eye on what the competitors are doing. Samsung was paying attention to the iphone when everyone was calling it a gimmick, seems like it payed off. ;)

Whereas the likes of nokia, MS and RIM realised the impact of iphone far too late.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]:roll: Icon layout? Seriously? I guess you haven't been keeping tabs with the trial. It goes far beyond that. Do yourself a favor and read up. Too muh evidence including INTERNAL SAMSUNG DOCUMENTS that clearly show Samsung has a huge boner for copying Apple. Icon arrangement is nothing.Gambler_3

It's called keeping a close eye on what the competitors are doing. Samsung was paying attention to the iphone when everyone was calling it a gimmick, seems like it payed off. ;)

Whereas the likes of nokia, MS and RIM realised the impact of iphone far too late.

Microsoft came into a license agreement with Apple on all the key UI patents Samsung is infringing on. This was done under an "anti-cloning" agreement, which led Microsoft to its current Metro interface. Samsung was offered the same exact license agreements in 2010, yet refused and pretty much copied the smallest details of how iOS works anyway. Which is why they're in court now.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator
Samsung's lawyers got manhandled. After learning what I have, I hope Apple can continue to separate themselves from Samsung, as they are doing with Google. And I hope Apple buries this kind of slavish copying so deep through this litigation that no other major company feels comfortable cloning Apple again.

This trial is not about the money, and Apple won a while ago. Any other sanctions against Samsung are just decoration on the icing that's already on the cake.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

Samsung's lawyers got manhandled. After learning what I have, I hope Apple can continue to separate themselves from Samsung, as they are doing with Google. And I hope Apple buries this kind of slavish copying so deep through this litigation that no other major company feels comfortable cloning Apple again.

This trial is not about the money, and Apple won a while ago. Any other sanctions against Samsung are just decoration on the icing that's already on the cake. musicalmac
Apple won already? Last time I heard samsung became the first company in the history of the industry to ship 50 million smartphones in a quarter, you can hate all you want. :lol:

Consumers dont give a s*it what apple or any other company has to say, they buy what is best for their money. In order for apple to actually stop the samsung growth is to get the courts to agree with them!!

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Samsung's lawyers got manhandled. After learning what I have, I hope Apple can continue to separate themselves from Samsung, as they are doing with Google. And I hope Apple buries this kind of slavish copying so deep through this litigation that no other major company feels comfortable cloning Apple again.

This trial is not about the money, and Apple won a while ago. Any other sanctions against Samsung are just decoration on the icing that's already on the cake. Gambler_3

Apple won already? Last time I heard samsung became the first company in the history of the industry to ship 50 million smartphones in a quarter, you can hate all you want. :lol:

Consumers dont give a s*it what apple or any other company has to say, they buy what is best for their money. In order for apple to actually stop the samsung growth is to get the courts to agree with them!!

Shipment numbers =/= Sales numbers
christiankhs-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 christiankhs-2
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts

the only thing that i find weird in all this, is why is so hard for apple to win this "battle" when is so obvious all of samsung copies , so... patents are not really very helpful it seems

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Samsung's lawyers got manhandled. After learning what I have, I hope Apple can continue to separate themselves from Samsung, as they are doing with Google. And I hope Apple buries this kind of slavish copying so deep through this litigation that no other major company feels comfortable cloning Apple again.

This trial is not about the money, and Apple won a while ago. Any other sanctions against Samsung are just decoration on the icing that's already on the cake. Kid-Atari

Shipment numbers =/= Sales numbers

So? Which other company shipped 50 million smartphones? You dont think anyone can do that just to gain bigger numbers?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 musicalmac  Moderator

the only thing that i find weird in all this, is why is so hard for apple to win this "battle" when is so obvious all of samsung copies , so... patents are not really very helpful it seems

christiankhs-2
Well, we're all about to find out how much patents like Apple holds will really mean in court, regardless of how slavishly Samsung copied them Apple's design of both the hardware and the software. Should be next week.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="christiankhs-2"]

musicalmac

Well, we're all about to find out how much patents like Apple holds will really mean in court, regardless of how slavishly Samsung copied them Apple's design of both the hardware and the software. Should be next week.

Apple also took advantage of the fact that android is open source so it's very difficult to sue them for copying the notification center.

Apple is also about to copy the screen size of android phones and tablets talk about originality.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="christiankhs-2"]

Gambler_3

Apple also took advantage of the fact that android is open source so it's very difficult to sue them for copying the notification center.

Apple is also about to copy the screen size of android phones and tablets talk about originality.

1. See Growl notifications, circa 2003. Google didn't invent a unified notification center. Gasp! 2. You still don't get it. UI features and mechanics are the primary reasons Samsung is getting sued.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Well, we're all about to find out how much patents like Apple holds will really mean in court, regardless of how slavishly Samsung copied them Apple's design of both the hardware and the software. Should be next week.Kid-Atari

1. See Growl notifications, circa 2003. Google didn't invent a unified notification center. Gasp! 2. You still don't get it. UI features and mechanics are the primary reasons Samsung is getting sued.

Google was the first to do it with a touchscreen smartphone. If you are going that route then apple didnt do anything new either only new for a smartphone/tablet.

LauraAHughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LauraAHughes
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Most hardware for Apple's products produced by Samsung.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Crazy that you can sue for things you copied.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

Galaxy nexus, galaxy S2, iphone 4 and ipad 2 banned in south korea in a dual injunction imposed on both companies today.

So much for apple calling others copycats!!!

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Galaxy nexus, galaxy S2, iphone 4 and ipad 2 banned in south korea in a dual injunction imposed on both companies today.

So much for apple calling others copycats!!!

Gambler_3
lol samsung just got hammered
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Apple v. Samsung jury finds Apple's patents valid, awards it nearly $1.05 billion in damages

Let the appeal battle commence!

Looks as if Samsung's legal team will have a lot of work to do to shake off something this big.

I wonder if this will have any affect on Samsung's hardware sale to Apple? As it already appears they're giving Apple the short end of the stick by launching the Exynos 5 shortly after iPhone 5.

I also found it interesting that the Galaxy Tab was found not to be infringing on Apple's iPad.

A few words from both:

Apple:

We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right.

Samsung:

Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

The way I see it is that both parties are in the wrong. Yes I will admit that Samsung HAS taken some stuff from apple but on the other hand apples patents are so ridiculouse that my year 2000 flip phone would be infringing on them. The patent system is broken and apple has used this to their advantage. I mean seriously they had a patent for displaying battery percentage -_-

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Lol. Apple even profits from Android. Post-PC era indeed.

bow_down_before_you-960.gif

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

The way I see it is that both parties are in the wrong. Yes I will admit that Samsung HAS taken some stuff from apple but on the other hand apples patents are so ridiculouse that my year 2000 flip phone would be infringing on them. The patent system is broken and apple has used this to their advantage. I mean seriously they had a patent for displaying battery percentage -_-

killblade37
This man i agree with word for word, i don't like samsung or apple, Apple deserved the design patents but did not deserve the slide unlock and few other intra OS patents. All i have to say is if they start banning handsets, good bye to technological advancements. Apple would have shot them self in the leg.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

All i have to say is if they start banning handsets, good bye to technological advancements. Apple would have shot them self in the leg.mystic_knight
I don't know how concerned Apple is when it comes to tech.

The way it looks right now, Apple's new iPhone 5 will launch behind right out of the gate (likely specs: quad core ARM Cortex A9 and TI PowerVR SGX 5xx).

Samsung will have Exynos 5 (ARM Cortex A15 cpu, Mali-T6xx gpu, LPDDR3 ram) in their devices before this year ends.

A rival iPhone would only be out Q3 of 2013.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] All i have to say is if they start banning handsets, good bye to technological advancements. Apple would have shot them self in the leg.NVIDIATI

I don't know how concerned Apple is when it comes to tech.

The way it looks, right now Apple's new iPhone 5 will launch behind right out of the gate (likely specs: quad core ARM Cortex A9 and TI PowerVR SGX 5xx).

Samsung will have Exynos 5 (ARM Cortex A15 cpu, Mali-T6xx gpu, LPDDR3 ram) in their devices before this year ends.

A rival iPhone would only be out Q3 of 2013.

I'm aware of that, but if they are going to limit software capabilities, what use is great hardware. Samsung have been pretty much told your is is a copy of apples change it or get the hell out. I fail to understand why google are not jumping with samsung here and telling them, that samsung have just as much right to use their software design as apple did when they took things like the notification bar.
killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

Well what I want to know is why apple is going after samsung and not google? it seems like apple is suing over android features so why not go for the source and go after google? and also why isnt google stepping up and helping out samsung?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gambler_3

A sad day for consumers all around the world who value free competition. Apple has a patent for "double tap to zoom" yes thats right. Seriously??? Good thing I dont live in the US my phones will continue to have this feature. I really hope samsung ponies up to pay royalties for this you cant just "leave" this feature out of a phone now like samsung has been doing with other things they have infringed.

I fail to understand why google are not jumping with samsung here and telling them, that samsung have just as much right to use their software design as apple did when they took things like the notification bar. mystic_knight
Hmm android is open source apple can copy it all it wants....

And what can google do? It's own galaxy nexus has been found infringing on purely software issues.

Well what I want to know is why apple is going after samsung and not google? it seems like apple is suing over android features so why not go for the source and go after google? and also why isnt google stepping up and helping out samsung?

killblade37

Google isnt an OEM apple has gone after the galaxy nexus which is pretty much going after google.

Google isnt some superman that is going to change the whole tide of this war. Anyways $1 billion is bearable for samsung all that matters now is how much reputation damage are they going to get from this.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mystic_knight
Google isnt an OEM apple has gone after the galaxy nexus which is pretty much going after google.

Google isnt some superman that is going to change the whole tide of this war. Anyways $1 billion is bearable for samsung all that matters now is how much reputation damage are they going to get from this.

Gambler_3
The billion is not the problem for Samsung, the problem lies if the judge also states for Samsung to take the affecting models off the shelves. That would affect the the company more so than the monetary loss. They would on top of lose billions, lose their handsets and have to redesign their lines. That would mean samsung would pretty much be dead unless they have an amazing designer.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Google isnt an OEM apple has gone after the galaxy nexus which is pretty much going after google.

mystic_knight
The billion is not the problem for Samsung, the problem lies if the judge also states for Samsung to take the affecting models off the shelves. That would affect the the company more so than the monetary loss. They would on top of lose billions, lose their handsets and have to redesign their lines. That would mean samsung would pretty much be dead unless they have an amazing designer.

. It's very unlikely Samsung will allow their current products removed from store shelves. They'll just have to pay Apple for the patent rights to use those technologies which they developed, on top of the 1.05 billion they owe in the lawsuit. Yikes.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 musicalmac  Moderator
This is a win for all of you, regardless of whether or not you want to recognize it. A company was allowed to protect their patents and their IP, which means other companies are forced to innovate and protect their own innovations, which means things keep getting better. That's the basest consequence of this verdict.

Android is a poor copy of iOS, and Samsung did as much as they could to make their phones like an iPhone with Google's ad portal OS. The court agrees. I hope this litigation goes a long way to burying Android as we know it, and I hope it forces Google to do something that isn't like a Blackberry OS clone and that isn't like an Apple iOS clone.

From Apple CEO Tim Cook:

[quote="Tim"] Today was an important day for Apple and for innovators everywhere.

Many of you have been closely following the trial against Samsung in San Jose for the past few weeks. We chose legal action very reluctantly and only after repeatedly asking Samsung to stop copying our work. For us this lawsuit has always been about something much more important than patents or money. Its about values. We value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. And we do this to delight our customers, not for competitors to flagrantly copy.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the jury who invested their time in listening to our story. We were thrilled to finally have the opportunity to tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trial showed that Samsungs copying went far deeper than we knew.

The jury has now spoken. We applaud them for finding Samsungs behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isnt right.

I am very proud of the work that each of you do.

Today, values have won and I hope the whole world listens.

Tim

That is how you graciously accept victory. It's just too bad Samsung didn't have to pay the full amount. Apple's cutting software ties with Google completely this fall, and over the next year or two, expect Samsung to lose much of the generous and faithful support Apple has provided them. At this point, the only true crime that could still come from this litigation is a successful appeal from Samsung.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deleteduser198
This verdict comes as no surprise. So now not only does Microsoft prpfit from every Android device sold, Apple now gets to profit off every Samsung device sold (given that Samsung decides to pay the licensing fees) It's easy to dismiss this as Apple being unfair, but all you have to do is think five years back. Apple was the first to use scrollback, double-touch to zoom, and pretty much the majority of multi-touch gestures and nuances we all now have gotten used to. Not only were they the first to standardize these things, but they were the first to patent them and be awarded the patents. Some even dating back to 2006 way before the iPhone even came out. Now thats forward thinking and covering your bases. They knew it would come to this with their competitors, and you'd be hard pressed to think they didn't learn their lesson when a huge portion of their ideas were stolen from Microsoft and bastardized to 100's of manufacturers putting them to near death. They were very prepared for this, this time. So Samsung is a copycat. My favorite piece of evidence is the list of their previous phones prior to the iPhone release. They had complete blackberry rips and even side-kick rips. They've been lacking any real originality and innovation since way even before Apple came and spanked them.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 musicalmac  Moderator
The jurors in the Apple/Samsung trial wanted to send a message to the industry.

"We wanted to make sure the message we sent was not just a slap on the wrist," {juror} Hogan said. "We wanted to make sure it was sufficiently high to be painful, but not unreasonable."

Hogan worked as an engineer for decades before he retired, and holds a patent of his own. He said jurors were able to complete their deliberations in less than three days - much faster than legal experts had predicted - because a few had engineering and legal experience, which helped with the complex issues in play.Reuters

I'm not a troll, nor am I some ungodly Apple sycophant, as some of you would like to classify me. I also do not bow to uninformed, ill-advised conventional wisdom.

At one point during the second day of deliberations, jurors turned off the lights in the room to settle a debate about the potential influence screen brightness might have on Apple's graphics interface. Their verdict: Apple's designs were unique.

"All of us feel we were fair, that we can stand by our verdict and that we have a clear conscience in that we were totally not biased one way or another," Hogan said.Reuters

No matter how much you fight it, the jury came to the correct decision.

"We found for Apple because of the evidence they presented," {juror} Ilagan said. "It was clear there was infringement."

Asked to point to some of the more compelling evidence Ilagan said:

"Well, there were several. The e-mails that went back and forth from Samsung execs about the Apple features that they should incorporate into their devices was pretty damning to me. And also, on the last day, {Apple} showed the pictures of the phones that Samsung made before the iPhone came out and ones that they made after the iPhone came out. Some of the Samsung executives they presented on video {testimony} from Korea -- I thought they were dodging the questions. They didn't answer one of them. They didn't help their cause."CNET

It sucks when you learn the truth about the way a company conducts itself, and that company disappoints you. This is the sad reality for Android and Samsung fans everywhere. Not even Apple understood the depth of Samsung's copycat behavior.

The real loser is Android, because no bounce-back and no tap-to-zoom will alone make the OS seem stiff and half-baked, but those were Apple's ideas. If you reverse the situation, and Samsung were the one protecting their smartphone patents, and they won in a big sweeping decision like this against Apple, I would bet all your jeers would in fact be cheers.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mystic_knight
It seems most of Engadget agreed with me Apple have abused the system a little too far. They even said the only culprit device should have really been the galaxy s. I said before the galaxy s and potentially the galaxy tab are the only devices which should have had the appeal against them. We know Apple has already taken ideas of other OS's, And we know that android takes ideas of apple and others, but with them learning off each other they make the great OS's we use today. Musical Mac you keep blaming samsung and android from copying yet you never blame Apple from copying, Why is that? iMessage = Clone of Blackberry messenger Notification = Rip of android notification. Safari browsing = Rip of android/chrome browsing where you now use tabs and can search via search bar. Grid icons = rip of palm OS Everyone copies each other, but Apple play it dirtier than others, its just the reality of things. Apple had a right to sue the galaxy s and to a certain extent the galaxy tab for making them look strikingly similar to the apple alternatives and thats as far as i think they should have gone.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] It seems most of Engadget agreed with me Apple have abused the system a little too far. They even said the only culprit device should have really been the galaxy s. I said before the galaxy s and potentially the galaxy tab are the only devices which should have had the appeal against them. We know Apple has already taken ideas of other OS's, And we know that android takes ideas of apple and others, but with them learning off each other they make the great OS's we use today. Musical Mac you keep blaming samsung and android from copying yet you never blame Apple from copying, Why is that? iMessage = Clone of Blackberry messenger Notification = Rip of android notification. Safari browsing = Rip of android/chrome browsing where you now use tabs and can search via search bar. Grid icons = rip of palm OS Everyone copies each other, but Apple play it dirtier than others, its just the reality of things. Apple had a right to sue the galaxy s and to a certain extent the galaxy tab for making them look strikingly similar to the apple alternatives and thats as far as i think they should have gone.

iMessage: Works accross iPods, iPads, iPhones AND Macs. Not a rip, but a complete overhaul with much greater useability. Notifications: See Mac Growl Notifications circa 2003. Safari Browsing: lol? Grid Icons: A static screen of 9 to 12 icons is not the same as an interlocked set of multiple pages consisting of a grid of 20 icons. Apple sued more on "trade dress" icon aesthetics. Microsoft easily navigated around this. I guess Google wasn't as wise. Going to be interesting to see how Android changes after losing quite handedly to the multi-touch gesture copying. No pinch-to-zoom or double-tap to zoom, coming soon to Android.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gambler_3

The real loser is Android, because no bounce-back and no tap-to-zoom will alone make the OS seem stiff and half-baked, but those were Apple's ideas. If you reverse the situation, and Samsung were the one protecting their smartphone patents, and they won in a big sweeping decision like this against Apple, I would bet all your jeers would in fact be cheers.musicalmac
Android doesnt have bounce-back effect for a long long time now, google came up with a really good solution in android 2.3.3 and bounce-back is not missed at all.

Tap to zoom is an essential feature and android OEM's will simply have to pay royalty to apple which will drive up prices so ya thats sad for us.

Anyone who says this is a good thing is a fanboy or apple shareholder why? BECAUSE APPLE IS THE HIGHEST VALUED COMPANY EVER OMG WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??????

Going forward apple has all the weapons to continue to be a force to reckon with even with android being the way it is. Apple has the,

Money - Check(more than anyone else at that)

The most supported ecosystem sofar - Check

A huge brand following - Check

Apple did not "suffer" because of android. Actually if not for android iOS will have a monopoly right now as everything else is a joke so if not having a monopoly is suffering then thats a joke. Is apple sad that they couldnt do to the mobile world what microsoft did to the computer world in terms of domination? But apple is valued so high any other tech company whats the problem? The one that might actually benefit from all this is MS. I and many android users are not buying an iphone no matter what happens!!!!

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gambler_3

Notifications: See Mac Growl Notifications circa 2003. Grid Icons: A static screen of 9 to 12 icons is not the same as an interlocked set of multiple pages consisting of a grid of 20 icons. Kid-Atari
There you go you contradict yourself there. When it comes to icons you get really detailed and when it comes to notifications you scroll back into vague comparisons.

If it wasnt done on a touchscreen device then it wasnt done at all. Thats the way you guys defend apple innovations.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]Notifications: See Mac Growl Notifications circa 2003. Grid Icons: A static screen of 9 to 12 icons is not the same as an interlocked set of multiple pages consisting of a grid of 20 icons. Gambler_3

There you go you contradict yourself there. When it comes to icons you get really detailed and when it comes to notifications you scroll back into vague comparisons.

If it wasnt done on a touchscreen device then it wasnt done at all. Thats the way you guys defend apple innovations.

The point is Apple specifically patented the exact trade-dress and UI interface that I described. They did not copy Palms UI in the manner Samsung has been caught red-handed with precise lists of things to copy from Apple. Were Palm to have even patented their UI layout, Apple still wouldn't be infringing in the least of terms.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 musicalmac  Moderator
Musical Mac you keep blaming samsung and android from copying yet you never blame Apple from copying, Why is that?mystic_knight
Have you looked at the case against Samsung? I think the answer to this is already quite clear. Samsung slavishly copied Apple's designs as closely as possible, down to the very virtual button that ends a call.

Apple doesn't play dirty, Apple created a new market and they're doing their best to defend their innovations. This is a win for everyone because it forces other companies to think of ways to improve their own technology. There is no reality to Apple playing dirty.

What is reality are the documents Samsung passed around to do what they could to make their devices more like the iPhone, at the highest levels of the company. Anyone who has thrown their eggs in Samsung's basket has been scorned by a company who's goal is to make their phones as much like the iPhone as possible, and now there is billion dollar proof.

Google did apply for a patent for their notification center, which reads to me a lot like Apple building a car and trying to patent air conditioning. Don't forget:

Android before iPhone : : : Android after iPhone

Seeing as the product is already in itself one big copy, Apple utilizing notification center is hardly a crime. I will guarantee you Apple is already quite a few steps ahead with new implementations in future operating systems in ways we have not thought of yet. Only time will tell, and the chickens are coming home to roost for Google's "highly inspired" platform.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 musicalmac  Moderator
It should also be noted that while Samsung appeals, Apple will likely seek to triple the assigned damages in the case because Samsung's patent infringement was found to be willful. The appeal is already looking murky for Samsung, so the real damage may still be forthcoming, especially if Apple's sales injunctions are granted for the devices in question (of which there are many).
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mystic_knight
You do know some android devices still look like that, e.g HTC Cha Cha, the great thing about android is it accommodates all types of designs. Also if you re read my post i did say the only case that should be filed is against the galaxy S and the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Suing against minor software details is ridiculous, as was agreed upon by many editors. The patent system is flawed and Apple took advantage of that.
Google did apply for a patent for their notification center, which reads to me a lot like Apple building a car and trying to patent air conditioning. Don't forget:musicalmac
More of a legitimate patent than slide to unlock or bounce back. This is actually a useful system wide feature which alerts you of most parts of your phone. Apple is just as much a clone OS as is Android. I believe both companies should just move on and start producing quality devices instead of crying like little babies. There are many evidence indicating how apple stole and patented ideas. I can appreciate you liking the company but by no means should you be protecting them as being innocent. I would love to see these future enhancements to the OS. Honestly i believe they will find some other cool feature on a pre existing device, do a little flashy alteration, patent it and make it as if it was them who created it. Realistically thats what it has been all the time. I remember my windows phone 5 device, that had auto rotate depending on the way the screen was rotated. Apple claimed it to be their own with document viewing... seriously WTF. Yet every modern day device has that feature. The iPhone is a fine device and Android has many great handsets. It just pisses me off to know that people actually accept and acknowledge these highway robbery claims that apple feed. Don't get me wrong i'm no samsung fan either as i think their galaxy s and galaxy tab should be taken to court. All i know and care about is the devices we end up getting. If some corporation is trying to stop that, then i believe they are the worst kind of corporation.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]You do know some android devices still look like that, e.g HTC Cha Cha, the great thing about android is it accommodates all types of designs. Also if you re read my post i did say the only case that should be filed is against the galaxy S and the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Suing against minor software details is ridiculous, as was agreed upon by many editors. The patent system is flawed and Apple took advantage of that.
Google did apply for a patent for their notification center, which reads to me a lot like Apple building a car and trying to patent air conditioning. Don't forget:musicalmac
More of a legitimate patent than slide to unlock or bounce back. This is actually a useful system wide feature which alerts you of most parts of your phone. Apple is just as much a clone OS as is Android. I believe both companies should just move on and start producing quality devices instead of crying like little babies. There are many evidence indicating how apple stole and patented ideas. I can appreciate you liking the company but by no means should you be protecting them as being innocent. I would love to see these future enhancements to the OS. Honestly i believe they will find some other cool feature on a pre existing device, do a little flashy alteration, patent it and make it as if it was them who created it. Realistically thats what it has been all the time. I remember my windows phone 5 device, that had auto rotate depending on the way the screen was rotated. Apple claimed it to be their own with document viewing... seriously WTF. Yet every modern day device has that feature. The iPhone is a fine device and Android has many great handsets. It just pisses me off to know that people actually accept and acknowledge these highway robbery claims that apple feed. Don't get me wrong i'm no samsung fan either as i think their galaxy s and galaxy tab should be taken to court. All i know and care about is the devices we end up getting. If some corporation is trying to stop that, then i believe they are the worst kind of corporation.

The patent system is the patent system, and the phrase, "The patent system is flawed," is a convenient way for people who don't like Apple's victory in this case to justify their feelings. Thankfully, someone who does know and understand the patent system was on the jury (because both Apple's and Samsung's lawyers approved him), and as a result, the correct, objective conclusion was reached in the trial. The legitimacy of your personal feelings is not objective.

Apple's iPhone is the first of its kind, and much like the iPad, it sparked a technological revolution. It's baffling to me how many people defend the fragmented ad portal smartphone OS with poorer software and hardware support, when you could have the real McCoy for roughly the same price on contract. The truth of the matter is that Samsung directly copied many of the behaviors of iOS with Android, features Apple was careful to patent because they was part of Apple's trade dress, what made iOS feel unique and polished.

I'm encouraging you to think objectively. Apple had patents, Samsung willfully violated them, the court found them guilty. As a result, Samsung may end up paying triple the original court damages and may see many of their devices removed from store shelves. This is reality.

You have to remove your personal stake in this matter to think clearly about it. It doesn't matter how much or how little I like Apple, this is just reality, and I'm afraid your views on the matter are distorted, and it boils down to your personal troubles with a technology company.

One more thing, I want to address this directly:

All i know and care about is the devices we end up getting. If some corporation is trying to stop that, then i believe they are the worst kind of corporation.mystic_knight

The only thing you'll lose from Android devices are the things that Apple implemented and patented, so that shouldn't bother anyone who truly dislikes iOS or Apple. Otherwise you would have just purchased an iPhone in the first place. It still truly confuses me when people react with such distain towards Apple. I can't help but think they haven't done their homework on the casework, because it's really, really obvious when you've taken the time to look at the trial and the materials the trial brought to light.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gambler_3

the fragmented ad portal smartphone OS with poorer software and hardware supportmusicalmac
lol enjoy your victory for now, it's not the end of this war I can assure you of that.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gambler_3

Google responds to the outcome,

"The court of appeals will review both infringement and the validity of the patent claims. Most of these don't relate to the core Android operating system, and several are being re-examined by the US Patent Office. The mobile industry is moving fast and all players including newcomers are building upon ideas that have been around for decades. We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don't want anything to limit that."

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mystic_knight
>You have to remove your personal stake in this matter to think clearly about it.musicalmac
I already outlined i actually do not like samsung or apple products, and for the record i have an apple product and no samsung product in the mobile world. The last thing i am is biased to either side of this war. I am saying things objectively from an outside point of view. Galaxy S and tab were rip offs and Apple had every right to sue samsung for those products. Thats all i can support apple with, the rest is BS. Trust me i know what i am talking about and i have done my research, you may disagree with my opinions which i am sure you do, just as i do not agree with yours entirely. but it doesn't mean the system is right.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gambler_3

Whats funny is that none of the tabs were found to infringe anything and the oiriginal galaxy S wasnt a part of this case since it isnt a US product.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]I already outlined i actually do not like samsung or apple products, and for the record i have an apple product and no samsung product in the mobile world. The last thing i am is biased to either side of this war. I am saying things objectively from an outside point of view. Galaxy S and tab were rip offs and Apple had every right to sue samsung for those products. Thats all i can support apple with, the rest is BS. Trust me i know what i am talking about and i have done my research, you may disagree with my opinions which i am sure you do, just as i do not agree with yours entirely. but it doesn't mean the system is right.

I understand that, but we have to keep things in perspective. As far as this specific issue is concerned, many of Samsung's products infringed upon patents Apple had been granted, and executives at Samsung knew it. However, they still willfully chose to infringe upon those patents, even after Apple approached them for a settlement deal, and now the cost will be much greater than it would have been before.

That's the issue at hand, that's the consequences Samsung faces. One of the jurors was a patent holder, and understand better than either of us the methodology behind the patent system. Apple is not the bully people are attempting to portray them as. They were granted patents that Samsung willfully infringed upon, and even attempted to settle the matter outside of court, but Samsung afforded them no other options.