Got notification to upgrade my S2 to 4.0 today

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Got a text "supposedly" from ATT with a link to Samsung's support page to download an upgrade to 4.0, but when I read the instructions, it says I have to download an application called Kies in order to transfer the upgrade to my phone? Sounds fishy... Has anyone done this yet?

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00047325&fm_seq=51324

AT&T Cell Phones: How do I update my Samsung Galaxy S? II to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich?

Samsung Galaxy S? II Android 4.0 ICS Upgrade

Andy ICS

Android? 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade is available for the Samsung Galaxy? S II (SGH-i777).

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the latest version of the Android platform for phones, tablets, and more. It builds on the things people love most about Android ? easy multitasking, rich notifications, customizable home screens, resizable widgets, and deep interactivity ? and adds powerful new ways of communicating and sharing. Follow these download instructions carefully.

Android 4.0 Explained*
*Please note: not all features on your device will have the ICS features explained in this article.

Back Up Your Information

This software update was designed to apply an update to the operating system of the device while leaving certain types of user data intact, including pictures, videos, and contacts. To be safe, it is best practice to always back up all data in the event that your information is lost.

Please refer to theKies Backup/Restore FAQto learn more about backing up your personal data. Certain settings, such as wallpaper and music settings, will be reset back to factory default (see list below).

What to Expect after the Update

• Home screens: Items that have been added to the home screen, such as home screens that have been added/removed, applications, widgets, and wallpaper (if the current wallpaper is not supported by ICS) are reset to default. Lock screen images will be preserved.
  • Application Menu: The application menu sorting, folders and home keys will be reset. Downloaded applications will be preserved.
  • Contact Groups: All Contacts and Contact groups will remain. However. contacts within the contact groups will be removed.
  • Email: Email accounts that were added as a Social Hub or Samsung premium account will be removed.
  • Music:Music playlists and settings (Equalizer,Sound effect, Music menu) will be reset during the update.
  • Bluetooth: Paired bluetooth devices will be removed during the reset.

Note: Your SIM card and any external microSD? memory card may remain installed during this update. You may remove either or both prior to beginning the process, if desired. Remember to re-install both after the update process has completed.

How Do I Check My Current Software Version?

1. From any home screen touchMenu > Settings > About Phone.
  2. Scroll to the bottom and look forBaseband Version. It should beI777UCKK6orI777UCKH7before updating. It will beI777UCLE5after the update.

What Will This Update Do?

This update will address the following:

• OS upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

Android 4.0 Explained

• Device stability improvements

How Do I Get This Update?

This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using theSamsung Kiessoftware application only.This update will not be made available over-the-air.

Samsung Kies

Click the button below to go to theSamsung Kiespage.

Kies Download Button

After you download Kies for your platform, switch back to this article and follow the appropriate steps below.

Requirements

• Windows Operating System
    • Microsoft® Windows XP, Vista, & 7
    • Processor: Intel Core Duo 2GHz
    • Memory (RAM): 1GB Free
    • Hard Drive Space: At least 500MB
    • Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768
    • Required software: Windows Media Player 10, .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, DirectX 9c, Adobe Flash Player
  • MacOS
    • OSX 10.5 to 10.7
    • Processor: 1.8GHz
    • Memory (RAM): 512MB Free
    • Hard Drive Space: At least 100MB
    • Fully Charged Battery

Note: The upgrade process may not complete if the battery is not at a sufficient level.

• USB Data Cable (Included In Retail Box)

Note:This is the same cable used to charge your device.

Launching and Auto-Updating Kies

After the download is complete, launch the installer and allow Kies to install on your system. If you are prompted to reboot the system, do so before proceeding.

Auto Updating

Once Kies is up and running, you may see a pop-up prompt similar to the one below.

kies_new_ver_notice
Version shown will vary.

ClickUpdateto allow Kies to update itself to the latest version available.

kies_license_agreement

Read and accept theLicense Agreementby populating theI Agreecheck box and clickingNext.

kies_downloading_update_files

Kies will begin downloading files. Once Kies has completed its update process, it will close and relaunch itself. You are now ready to update yourGalaxy S? II.

How Do I Update My Galaxy S? II?

1. Connect your device to your PC or laptop using the supplied USB cable.
  2. Ensure that Kies recognizes your device by looking in the upper section of the left-bar navigation menu. Your device should be listed.
kies_left-bar
  1. Once Kies recognizes the device you will see the following pop-up.
kies_firmware_popup
Firmware versions shown will vary.
  1. ClickUpdate.
  2. Read through theCautionpop-up and, if you agree, click to populate theI have read all of the above informationcheckbox.
  3. Read theAllow saving of informationstatement and selectAllow savingorProceed without savingand then clickStart upgrade.

kies_caution

4. Read the Notice and clickNext.

Kies Notice

5. Kies will begin downloading firmware upgrade components from Samsung servers. This will take a few minutes depending on the speed of your Internet connection.

kies_downloading_firmware

6. After a few minutes, Kies will then begin transferring the firmware binary to the device.

kies_binary_transfer

During the upgrade process, you will see the Android logo on yourdevices screen.

t989_dl_mode

On your computer, you will see the Kies screen below.

kies_binary_transfer_2

1. After a few more minutes, the firmware upgrade will be completed.

kies_firmware_complete

Versions shown will vary.
  1. ClickOK. You can now disconnect your device from the PC. Once the device has rebooted it will be ready to use.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Yeah, I saw all that. It just sounds weird that I have to do it through the PC when there's an option in the phone to check for updates. I guess I'm just paranoid.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts
Yeah, I saw all that. It just sounds weird that I have to do it through the PC when there's an option in the phone to check for updates. I guess I'm just paranoid.JustPlainLucas
No worries. It's better to be safe than sorry. Given Android's great open nature, it unfortunately comes with this sort of territory.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
I recall upgrading my old captivate(AT&T version of galaxy s) to gingerbread through samsungs kies software. I'm guessing all samsung handsets go through kies.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I recall upgrading my old captivate(AT&T version of galaxy s) to gingerbread through samsungs kies software. I'm guessing all samsung handsets go through kies.MFDOOM1983

Not all, everywhere else around the world its OTA or Kies to update to ICS.

Kies is a POS so I refuse to use it, its the worst software ever, so used OTA to update.

junaid15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 junaid15
Member since 2005 • 1163 Posts
i upgraded my s2 to 4.0 using kies,it works fine.
blanewarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blanewarlock
Member since 2012 • 34 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]I recall upgrading my old captivate(AT&T version of galaxy s) to gingerbread through samsungs kies software. I'm guessing all samsung handsets go through kies.GTR12

Kies is a POS so I refuse to use it, its the worst software ever, so used OTA to update.

OTA only works for certain countries. Many of us don't really have a choice. I just hope Kies doesn't break down like it always does when it's my turn to update.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]I recall upgrading my old captivate(AT&T version of galaxy s) to gingerbread through samsungs kies software. I'm guessing all samsung handsets go through kies.blanewarlock

OTA only works for certain countries. Many of us don't really have a choice. I just hope Kies doesn't break down like it always does when it's my turn to update.

Hence why I said OTA or Kies

theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theking52_TDK
Member since 2008 • 943 Posts

So it depends on phone and not carrier? I have SG2 international version but got the OTA 4.0.3 update while using AT&T as my carrier sometime in March I think.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

So it depends on phone and not carrier? I have SG2 international version but got the OTA 4.0.3 update while using AT&T as my carrier sometime in March I think.

theking52_TDK

Yes it depends entirely on the phone, look at the baseband version and it tells you.