galaxy s2 or nexus ? x_x

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 coolhady13
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts
hi everybody . i know that this question has been asked a lot so im asking it again :P im about buy a new phone and im on a budget . so the gs2 is in my budget while the nexus is 500 EP higher . so im wondering which one is better ? cause if the nexus is better i could wait till i get those 500 EP and buy it :D . thanks in advance :* :D
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I have a S2 and i really like it, Comparing them below features.

S2 has a micro SD slot which can expand memory with a 64gb card. The Galaxy Nexus has 16/32gb depending on version with no Sd card slot.

S2 has a 4.3inch? screen while the Nexus features a 4.65inch screen it's also worth noting the Galaxy nexus has an HD screen.

Internally while i'm not sure of the cpu/gpu, i think they're pretty close performance wise.

Galaxy Nexus, gets quick updates from google, S2 varies on network but you'll likely wait awhile for the latest and greatest ones.

I think i would have probably stuck with my S2 if i did have the chance to grab a GalaxyNexus, when i upgraded the only feature i feel is worth it between them is the Fast google updates and the Screen difference. And i can't see myself enjoying a bigger screen.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I really love my nexus, and stock Android is arguably one of the better versions of Android. Of course there are custom roms that probably beat it in certain areas, but the fluidity of stock jellybean is just fantastic.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Id wait for the 30th, the LG Nexus is heavily rumored to be announced on that date.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#5 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Id wait for the 30th, the LG Nexus is heavily rumored to be announced on that date.

awptical

Its not going to be in his "budget". :P

I personally cannot stand a poor speaker on my phone which happens to be the case with galaxy nexus. Other than this one thing it's definitely better than S2.

It's also to note that since the S2 has much lower resolution it creates a pretty big difference between the gaming performance of the 2 phones. Right now galaxy nexus plays all games fine but it is to note that S2 will last longer in the gaming department.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coolhady13

[QUOTE="awptical"]

Gambler_3

I personally cannot stand a poor speaker on my phone which happens to be the case with galaxy nexus. Other than this one thing it's definitely better than S2.

It's also to note that since the S2 has much lower resolution it creates a pretty big difference between the gaming performance of the 2 phones. Right now galaxy nexus plays all games fine but it is to note that S2 will last longer in the gaming department.

ops. its getting more confusing . on one hand the s2 have better gpu+cpu ( maybe wrong,thats what i've read :D ) so i think it'll support future apps better than the nexus ! . and on the other hand the nexus has nfc ,720p screen , pure android . x_x . still cant decide LOL im worried that in a year the s2 would run apps + games better . or in a year the nexus would have the latest android version and i might still be on ICS or JB
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gambler_3

Well the CPU of S2 isnt better it's just the GPU.

Jelly bean is most certainly the last update for S2.

I say go for galaxy nexus as it's a better "smartphone". And as for gaming it will be very well supported software wise so it'll do just fine me thinks. A year later if you still have the nexus you could perhaps root it and overclock it to get more performance, one thing you can bet is that it's still going to be wildly supported for these purposes a year from now just like the nexus S is still.

And there is no other better phone in this price range currently.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 coolhady13

I say go for galaxy nexus as it's a better "smartphone". And as for gaming it will be very well supported software wise so it'll do just fine me thinks. A year later if you still have the nexus you could perhaps root it and overclock it to get more performance, one thing you can bet is that it's still going to be wildly supported for these purposes a year from now just like the nexus S is still.

Gambler_3
i think you are right :D , ok ive set my mind on the nexus :D thanks :D
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
what currency is EP. POersonally i would get the HTC one s.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

what currency is EP. POersonally i would get the HTC one s.mystic_knight
Its not good value for money as I am sure its gonna be more expensive than the galaxy nexus when it really shouldnt be.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mystic_knight
Are you sure?, it shouldn't be
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

[QUOTE="awptical"]

Gambler_3

Probably, but the new Nexus release would push the Gnex price down a bit.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]what currency is EP. POersonally i would get the HTC one s.Gambler_3

Its not good value for money as I am sure its gonna be more expensive than the galaxy nexus when it really shouldnt be.

Well hardware wise it is better in pretty much every way besides screen size. that s4 chip is one speed demon.
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolhady13
what currency is EP. POersonally i would get the HTC one s.mystic_knight
EP= Egyptian Pound :D :D
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 coolhady13
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="awptical"]

awptical

Probably, but the new Nexus release would push the Gnex price down a bit.

prices gets down here a little slower but i hope this happens . i still have a while to get those 500EP for the nexus . so until then maybe something else would pop up within my budget or the nexus gets cheaper :D :D
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]what currency is EP. POersonally i would get the HTC one s.imprezawrx500

Well hardware wise it is better in pretty much every way besides screen size. that s4 chip is one speed demon.

No nexus has HD screen, one S has qHD screen and the difference in PPI is huge. And due to both screens being pentile you really do notice a big difference.

Nexus also has better more optimized software and will always have an edge in android version.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 coolhady13
bechmarks x_x http://www.anandtech.com/show/5310/samsung-galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-review/9 im worried that i might regret not buying the gs2
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mystic_knight

bechmarks x_x http://www.anandtech.com/show/5310/samsung-galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-review/9 im worried that i might regret not buying the gs2coolhady13
The mali 400 is far superior to the sgx540 and thats what everyone has mentioned here. Its your choice if you want to go power or support, eveb if you want power i would still go HTC One S over the SGS 2

Evidence of HTC one s being more powerful

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

Ya I'll give one S an edge over SGS2. But it must be noted that you really do sacrifice on multi-tasking going with a one series phone.

S2 has micro SD card slot as a feature over the one S and galaxy nexus for those who really care about it.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mystic_knight
It can still multitask, its just $hit at it. no worse than an iPhone.
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolhady13
the one S is way higher than my budget its 3888 and the one x is 4000
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mystic_knight
WTF seriously, that much of a difference?
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolhady13
WTF seriously, that much of a difference?mystic_knight
that not a big difference that y if i had the money for the one s i would get the one x instead :D
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]WTF seriously, that much of a difference?coolhady13
that not a big difference that y if i had the money for the one s i would get the one x instead :D

I meant between the GNex/sgs2 and the One S
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gambler_3

Thats strange in my country the one S is cheaper than S2 and a bit more than galaxy nexus.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coolhady13

Thats strange in my country the one S is cheaper than S2 and a bit more than galaxy nexus.

Gambler_3
yeah prices here are weird lol
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolhady13
the lg optimus 4x hd is 3400 le so its cheaper than the nexus and it has tegra 3 . is it better than the s2 or nexus?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gambler_3

the lg optimus 4x hd is 3400 le so its cheaper than the nexus and it has tegra 3 . is it better than the s2 or nexus?coolhady13
Forget about LG, pretend it doesnt exist.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="coolhady13"]the lg optimus 4x hd is 3400 le so its cheaper than the nexus and it has tegra 3 . is it better than the s2 or nexus?Gambler_3

Troll :P
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="coolhady13"]the lg optimus 4x hd is 3400 le so its cheaper than the nexus and it has tegra 3 . is it better than the s2 or nexus?mystic_knight

LG nexus is going to be good make no mistake but one should stay far away from a non google endorsed LG product like the optimus 4X.

It's not even that good a phone anyways it shockingly doesnt have a laminated screen I'll much rather even take the less sharper screen of the one S and S2 over it.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 coolhady13

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Forget about LG, pretend it doesnt exist.

Gambler_3

LG nexus is going to be good make no mistake but one should stay far away from a non google endorsed LG product like the optimus 4X.

It's not even that good a phone anyways it shockingly doesnt have a laminated screen I'll much rather even take the less sharper screen of the one S and S2 over it.

well its cheap price is scary anyway :D :D,ill just go with the s2
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Forget about LG, pretend it doesnt exist.

Gambler_3

Fine Fine, the 4x is crap but OPTIMUS G BROTHER OMGWTFBBQ this is like the best phone EVA!!!!
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coolhady13
[QUOTE="coolhady13"][QUOTE="mystic_knight"]WTF seriously, that much of a difference?mystic_knight

I meant between the GNex/sgs2 and the One S

lol the one s just got cheaper its now 3444 :D
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I've played around with both phones and personally like the Nexus a bit more.
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolhady13
I've played around with both phones and personally like the Nexus a bit more. JasonDarksavior
well. with the many rumors of about the next nexus phones . im worried about buying either phone right now so im waiting to see what will be announced on google's 29 October event :D
JayPearson4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JayPearson4
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
the s2 is probably the most budget friendly option. Some of the latest releases are set to be unreal...but will be pricey too.
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coolhady13
the s2 is probably the most budget friendly option. Some of the latest releases are set to be unreal...but will be pricey too. JayPearson4
yup cool .but i guess ill make my final decision at the shop cause im thinking about getting the 1s :D
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 imprezawrx500

Gambler_3
and probably for the nexus as well lol http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Android-Nexus-S-Motorola-Xoom,news-16311.html
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

imprezawrx500

and probably for the nexus as well lol http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Android-Nexus-S-Motorola-Xoom,news-16311.html

Thats talking about the nexus S the "galaxy nexus" is different. :|

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 imprezawrx500

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

Thats talking about the nexus S the "galaxy nexus" is different. :|

I know but even the nexus only have a couple of years of support, plus the latest version of android is really not that important and you average joe wont even update their phone anyway. Even my tech friend still has 2.3 on his s2 lol. How many people have gone out to get windows 8? Same thing goes for phones the latest os is nice but it is getting to the point that updates are becoming not that important.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gambler_3

I know but even the nexus only have a couple of years of support, plus the latest version of android is really not that important and you average joe wont even update their phone anyway. Even my tech friend still has 2.3 on his s2 lol. How many people have gone out to get windows 8? Same thing goes for phones the latest os is nice but it is getting to the point that updates are becoming not that important. imprezawrx500
So? The TC does care about it and so does every other android geek. If your friend has no issue with being on 2.3 then good for him but untill now there has not been an insignificant update to android. So many apps now have extra features if you are running 4.0+ so yes it really does matter. ICS and JB brought many worthwhile extra things that anybody who uses their phone seriously would care about.

And "only" 2 year support? Which other phone released in 2010 got jelly bean? Wait let me rephrase that, which phone released in 2010 got ICS? Opps none other than nexus S.

Which other android OEM updates older phones in the same week as newer phones? Its not just the total time of support but how well you are treated in that time. Galaxy S2 is only just getting the jelly bean update and the likes of sensation/xperia S etc have no update in sight.

Nexus S is a phone that didnt age well in terms of processing power and it was just appropriate to drop support for it unlike outdated apple products which become slower and slower with newer versions. There were a few bugs in 4.1.1 but they all were taken care of in 4.1.2 so now google is leaving the nexus S with a totally bug free version. Not many nexus S users are complaining about it they know that the phone is quite old now in terms of specs. And it will be a long long while before 4.1.2 will be considered an outdated version as most phones are still catching up and will likely be for a while.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gambler_3

Oh and btw your comment about windows 8, well its not free you know thats why not everyone has rushed to get one lol.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 imprezawrx500

Oh and btw your comment about windows 8, well its not free you know thats why not everyone has rushed to get one lol.

Gambler_3
No because windows 7 is the superior os. It is nice to have the latest version of android but it really isn't that important besides the major updates. ics to jellybean is nice to have but nothing that is that important.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

imprezawrx500

No because windows 7 is the superior os. It is nice to have the latest version of android but it really isn't that important besides the major updates. ics to jellybean is nice to have but nothing that is that important.

WOW stop sounding so ignorant dude no offence. ICS to jelly bean is one of the most significant updates to android ever due to the sheer increase in speed and smoothness of the OS.

And windows 7 is still the best OS but you bet if windows 8 was free to upgrade then how many people would do that.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 imprezawrx500

Just like how everyone has updated from xp right? It's only the geeks who give a dam about the latest software, most people buy their phone and might update it once before they buy a new one. My friend still has 2.3 on his s2, basically never bothered updating and that is not uncommon.

You make it sound like a big deal but the most important thing really is for the phone to have the latest os at the time of release. Phones still shipping with 2.3 should be a crime, I bet even if they can be upgraded few will ever be.

Jellybean does have some nice features, but I have not found my Tegra 3, Jellybean powered Tablet to run any faster than my phone. Only real thing I've found that is different is the nice notification preview. Ginger bread to ICS on the other hand was a huge update.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gambler_3

Just like how everyone has updated from xp right? It's only the geeks who give a dam about the latest software, most people buy their phone and might update it once before they buy a new one. My friend still has 2.3 on his s2, basically never bothered updating and that is not uncommon.

You make it sound like a big deal but the most important thing really is for the phone to have the latest os at the time of release. Phones still shipping with 2.3 should be a crime, I bet even if they can be upgraded few will ever be.

Jellybean does have some nice features, but I have not found my Tegra 3, Jellybean powered Tablet to run any faster than my phone. Only real thing I've found that is different is the nice notification preview. Ginger bread to ICS on the other hand was a huge update.

imprezawrx500

Pretty much every gamer and power user has upgraded from XP.

This is an internet forum and here people who post do care about updates. Dont know why you keep bringing what the average consumer wants. If you read the thread the TC clearly DOES care about updates so really dont see whats your point in relation to this thread....

And btw you happen to have an ASUS transformer tablet? Becuase ASUS did a sloppy job with the JB update its reported. In any case you cannot just compare a phone running ICS with a tablet running jelly bean and then declare that there is no performance increase. I have gotten ICS to JB update on the same device and I really know what difference it made. A friend with an S3 also noticed increase in speed with JB update.