Galaxy Note 10.1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts

Hey, I'm just looking for some opinions on people who own or have used a Galaxy Note 10.1. I have an iPad 2 and I'm trying to trade it for the Note. My reasoning is mainly the S pen and the ability to take notes. For people who have it, how is the performance? Is it a good tablet for taking notes? I'm looking for any opinions on whether or not I should get it. Thanks. Any input is appreciated.

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
I love mine. The S pen was the selling feature I bought mine for. Lots of people who have iPads are envious of it. There isn't a lot of third party software support for the pen. On the upside, the included software is really robust. You can use several types of writing tools (pencil, pen, highlighter, etc) and you can also control how heavy the line you produce is by applying or softening your pressure with the pen. I primarily use it for taking notes in meetings. I also do the occasional silly drawing with my son. The screen is extremely scratch resistant too. I have yet to even put so much as a since imperfection in mine. You really don't need those silly screen protectors with this thing. Let me know if you have any other questions.
bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bdmckinley
Performance wise, it is pretty good. Quad processor. It won't run ALL games but a vast majority it will.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TonyDanzaFan
I love mine. The S pen was the selling feature I bought mine for. Lots of people who have iPads are envious of it. There isn't a lot of third party software support for the pen. On the upside, the included software is really robust. You can use several types of writing tools (pencil, pen, highlighter, etc) and you can also control how heavy the line you produce is by applying or softening your pressure with the pen. I primarily use it for taking notes in meetings. I also do the occasional silly drawing with my son. The screen is extremely scratch resistant too. I have yet to even put so much as a since imperfection in mine. You really don't need those silly screen protectors with this thing. Let me know if you have any other questions.bdmckinley
Thank you very much for this answer! That's exactly what I want mine for as well, to take notes. I'm not too sure about buying a brand new one at $500 but so far I'm struggling to find somebody willing to trade one for an ipad + cash. And I just can't play games on phones/tablets lol. I tried a few on the ipad and it just wasn't doing it for me. I just feel like the productivity and practicality of real world use is better for the Note. The only thing I really do on my ipad is watch Netflix, browse the net, and listen to internet radio. Can I ask you one more thing? How is the performance of it when two apps are open at the same time, for instance, internet and S notes. Is it laggy? Some of the reviews I read said that the performance can be sluggish. And the screen resolution won't bother me because I'm not using a retina ipad. Last question I promise lol. How is the visibility outside? Will I be able to see it if it is sunny and I have brightness up? Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

You should wait a couple of months, samsung will soon be releasing the galaxy pad 3 series (based off the hardware in the nexus 10) so I assume they will base a new note off that too with a much better screen and other hardware than the current note.

Up to you though.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TonyDanzaFan

You should wait a couple of months, samsung will soon be releasing the galaxy pad 3 series (based off the hardware in the nexus 10) so I assume they will base a new note off that too with a much better screen and other hardware than the current note.

Up to you though.

kraken2109
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, which is why I really didn't want to splurge $500 on it. I'll probably just wait and see if they announce anything soon. Maybe they will when they announce the GS4.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Up to you though.

TonyDanzaFan
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, which is why I really didn't want to splurge $500 on it. I'll probably just wait and see if they announce anything soon. Maybe they will when they announce the GS4.

Well when samsung release new tablets the current note should go nice and cheap anyway.
bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bdmckinley
[QUOTE="bdmckinley"]I love mine. The S pen was the selling feature I bought mine for. Lots of people who have iPads are envious of it. There isn't a lot of third party software support for the pen. On the upside, the included software is really robust. You can use several types of writing tools (pencil, pen, highlighter, etc) and you can also control how heavy the line you produce is by applying or softening your pressure with the pen. I primarily use it for taking notes in meetings. I also do the occasional silly drawing with my son. The screen is extremely scratch resistant too. I have yet to even put so much as a since imperfection in mine. You really don't need those silly screen protectors with this thing. Let me know if you have any other questions.TonyDanzaFan
Thank you very much for this answer! That's exactly what I want mine for as well, to take notes. I'm not too sure about buying a brand new one at $500 but so far I'm struggling to find somebody willing to trade one for an ipad + cash. And I just can't play games on phones/tablets lol. I tried a few on the ipad and it just wasn't doing it for me. I just feel like the productivity and practicality of real world use is better for the Note. The only thing I really do on my ipad is watch Netflix, browse the net, and listen to internet radio. Can I ask you one more thing? How is the performance of it when two apps are open at the same time, for instance, internet and S notes. Is it laggy? Some of the reviews I read said that the performance can be sluggish. And the screen resolution won't bother me because I'm not using a retina ipad. Last question I promise lol. How is the visibility outside? Will I be able to see it if it is sunny and I have brightness up? Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Performance when using two apps can be a little dicey at times. The S pen tends to lag a little but it's still usable. It depends on the app you are running next to S Pen. In other words, a Chrome browser would have less impact than an app like Netflix. Does that make sense? My wife commented on the screen resolution. She thought it was great! I'm pretty impressed with it as well. It's not as good as the Retina display but it looks pretty good. HD visuals are crisp and really lifelike. Visibility outside can be a problem in really bright conditions. The screen is reflective so be prepared. You have to kick the brightness up quite a bit. The sun does tend to wash it out, You are correct about gaming on this thing. I find the hardest thing to do is getting a good feel for touch screen controls when I'm used a controller with tactile feedback my entire life. I really like buttons! This thing is worth every penny of the $500. I love it!
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#9 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Its not gonna be any worse than your ipad 2 as far as outdoor visibility is concerned.

To date there have only been 3 tablets with great outdoor visibility. The galaxy tab 7.7 and the 2 MS surface tablets.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109

Its not gonna be any worse than your ipad 2 as far as outdoor visibility is concerned.

To date there have only been 3 tablets with great outdoor visibility. The galaxy tab 7.7 and the 2 MS surface tablets.

Gambler_3
I've never used my Nexus 10 outside, but I know it has incredibly high maximum brightness.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#11 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

kraken2109

I've never used my Nexus 10 outside, but I know it has incredibly high maximum brightness.

But it does not have an optically bonded display which is more important outdoors.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TonyDanzaFan
Ok, so the Note 10.1 has dropped $50 to $450. I'm reaaaaallyyy considering pulling the trigger, and I'm going to go play with one in person tomorrow before I make my decision, but does anybody know if this is indicative of them announcing a new version at their upcoming event? I don't want to buy it and then have a new one with a better screen come out.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched new tablets soon, probably based off the Nexus 10 hardware since samsung makes it.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TonyDanzaFan

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched new tablets soon, probably based off the Nexus 10 hardware since samsung makes it.

kraken2109
Yeah, I decided to not pull the trigger and just wait. The fact that the price dropped $50 has me suspicious that there will be a new version soon.