iPhone 8 to have wireless charging

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

No, not the redundant wireless charging method some Android handsets employ (you still have to place your phone on a pre-positioned spot, and can't hold it while on its charging mat)

They're using a wireless charging method that allows you to charge your phone up to 15 feet away from the power transmitter.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mister-Man

Pretty hard to keep up with Apple these days, huh? Cat's got everyone's tongue.

Lets add this brand spanking new innovation to a list that includes an edge to edge screen, completely buttonless, complete-haptic feedback, refined 3D Touch, AR focused experience that includes a revamped second telephoto lens with built in optical image stabilization, with the A11 chip that's already set to put the iPhone 7 to shame (not an easy task, because the 7 already obliterates all current competition by an extreme long shot, which means they iPhone 7 will still be comparable to next years Android line up)... Google is extremely late to the hardware game with Pixel. Not waterproof. Still no 3D touch. No haptic feedback. Made it as close to the iPhone as legally possible just to catch interest.

Wireless charging of devices from a remote distance. Those innovations you all thought Apple has been lazy about is about to reveal itself.

How can you guys seriously still say Android is the better, more innovative option at this point?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Can you provide links? I know what you're referring to, but haven't seen any updates recently.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yes,Apple is really innovative

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2484876/mobile-wireless/wireless-charging-from-30-feet-away----does-startup-have-a-game-changer-.html

http://technovator.co/

Nubia Z11 is edge to edge screen

HTC Ocean already announced and buttonless

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mister-Man

@MonsieurX: and yet no Android phone will have all or most of these features, while the iPhone will have all of it in one device. Innovative indeed.

DrunkenSloth92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrunkenSloth92
Member since 2016 • 5 Posts

Firstly I'd like to congratulate Apple, it's great to see that in just a few months before 2018 they'll finally be landing in the year 2013. Maybe in 2020 you'll get fast charging 1.0.

Secondly I can't wait until 2025 when they are finally able to provide us with at-least a quad HD display and decent VR experience. Until then I'm sure paying £800 for a display comparable with a £80 budget android device will suffice.

Maybe by 2030 they'll come up with a design that doesn't look like it's ripping off the 2013 HTC One m7 and will try to innovate again. By that I don't mean creating a ridiculous glossy black colour variant that makes it look like the phone has been attacked by Freddy Kruger if a single spec of dust lands on it.

Exciting times for Apple fans.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mister-Man

@drunkensloth92: No android phone employs wireless charging the way Apple plans to.

You can keep placing your phone on a specific dedicated charging matt in a specific spot with your android phone, completely defeating the idea of "wireless" charging.

Apple plans on iPhones tha charge up to 15 feet away from the charging unit. Congrats on showing the world you don't know how to read. ;)

DrunkenSloth92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DrunkenSloth92
Member since 2016 • 5 Posts

@mister-man: Congratulations on showing the world that you believe in technology that is nowhere near exisisting on a consumer level. I next expect you to make a thread claiming the new iPhone will have time travel built in.

The reality is that you are going to get tech that we've already been enjoying for years but in a sleek case and at 200$ on top of the 800$ you've just paid. I'm sure you won't mind though as no doubt you've already paid 150$ for some wireless earpods that sound like there from a dollar store.

We are talking about a company that sees a new shiny colour as a major announcement ffs.

Let me put this in to perspective, you haven't even got a basic industry standard feature like fast charging yet.

Enjoy your 800$ phone that rivals 2013.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mister-Man

@drunkensloth92: WattUp RF-based charging can be integrated to provide wire-free charging to a wide variety of electronic devices such as cell phones, tablets, wearables, cameras, wireless keyboards and mice, headsets, sensors, LED lights, remote controls and toys… A Radio Frequency (RF) system, similar to a Wi-Fi system, delivers safe wire-free charging energy at distances of up to approximately 15ft - 20ft from a transmitter to a receiver device, such as a mobile phone, and maintains charging while the receiver is in motion. Up to 12 receiver devices can be managed by the system simultaneously, depending on system specifications..

The technology has existed for nearly six years in prototype stages, and only recently has been shrunken down to be a whole lot closer to consumer based specifications for mobile device applications. It's set to make its debut within the next year. How silly do you feel now?

It's curious that they recently have announced a new partnership with a mysterious "well positioned" tech company. Even more interesting is that a year old patent has surfaced from Apples files revealing the design for something I described exactly.

Enjoy your "wireless" charging matt. Because you know, havin to place your phone on a specific device in a specific spot to charge is such a huge upgrade from plugging a cord in a specific spot. It was always a worthless, poorly implemented Android gimmick that gave tools like you something ridiculous to brag about.

Mmmm, gotta love that perspective!

ryguynumba5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryguynumba5
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

Sounds pretty awesome if it actually works well!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

One thing worth mentioning is that it's not important who does it first, it's about who does it best. Doing something first is only worth the kudos, doing it best is worth the money.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mister-Man

@drunkensloth92: Pretty quiet there, buddy.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mister-Man

@drunkensloth92: All that bravado just to look like an ass. ?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

This sounds interesting but I wouldn't invest in this wireless charging if I were Apple, not entirely at least stuff like this is at its best a few iterations down the line. Take their iwatch I don't own any but I bet watch 2 is considerably more fine tuned than watch 1

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mister-Man

@Celsius765: People told Apple they shouldn't invest in a multi-touch exclusive screen. And they told them they needed Flash. And they told them their proprietary approach to OS and ecosystem won't work.

I'm wondering when people will stop thinking they know better than Apple at this point.

Pretty soon, iPhone users won't have to do much to charge their devices, setting the ACTUAL standard for wireless charging. Not that ridiculous Android solution for "wireless" charging. This is also a revelation as to why Apple never got on board with that horrible charging matt idea. They've been hard at work providing us with real wireless charging

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@mister-man: yeah I know I'm not sayin it won't work but it won't be so good at first certainly won't be better than the wireless chargers they make after more fine tuning

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mister-Man

@drunkensloth92: Hey, so, Energous just had a press release revealing their intention to hit the electronics market later this year.

I thought this technology won't exist for another decade? How come you're so quiet all of a sudden?