iPhone 5 sells out 20x faster than 4S

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
That statistic is no exaggeration. iPhone 5 sold out ine ONE HOUR after pre-orders went live. Further evidence that Apple domination is not slowing down.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#3 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Thats assuming apple has the same amount of initial stock........

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

That is totally amazing and all dont get me wrong but I heard on the news that there was a shortage for some of the internals so isnt it possible that this contributed to it selling out so fast?

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deleteduser198

That is totally amazing and all dont get me wrong but I heard on the news that there was a shortage for some of the internals so isnt it possible that this contributed to it selling out so fast?

killblade37
The iPhone 5 actually began manufacturing a month earlier than the iphone 4S, so if the initial stock wasn't the same as the 4S, it was actually more. it took 22 hours or the iPhone 4S preorders to sell out, compared to the iPhone 5 selling out in under just ONE hour. A large amount of people actually held off on purchasing the 4S in favor of waiting for the 5. So it makes sense as to how the 5 is now selling like hotcakes. Can't wait for those official sales numbers.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Lol@smartphones. They're on the way out. People spend too much time on them. It's an addiction, really. Once they see this they'll notice how disgusting constantly looking at a phone is.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
[QUOTE="killblade37"]

Kid-Atari
The iPhone 5 actually began manufacturing a month earlier than the iphone 4S, so if the initial stock wasn't the same as the 4S, it was actually more. it took 22 hours or the iPhone 4S preorders to sell out, compared to the iPhone 5 selling out in under just ONE hour. A large amount of people actually held off on purchasing the 4S in favor of waiting for the 5. So it makes sense as to how the 5 is now selling like hotcakes. Can't wait for those official sales numbers.

Source that 5's stock was equal to or MORE than 4S'? I don't think you know what a shortage is. It doesn't matter if the 5 was in manufacturing 15 years longer than the 4S, if there's a shortage of a specific needed part, then that will halt manufacturing.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I preordered at best buy mobile in the mall just now. She told me I make number 10, I was shocked that wAs all
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

impressive

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Lol@smartphones. They're on the way out. People spend too much time on them. It's an addiction, really. Once they see this they'll notice how disgusting constantly looking at a phone is.Heirren
Funny thing is I do almost all my posting here on my iphone
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Funny thing is I do almost all my posting here on my iphoneAutoPilotOn
It's too bad mobile development isn't more of a priority (at least I haven't been told it is a priority). There are forums with mobile versions and utilizing their forums is a real joy.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]Funny thing is I do almost all my posting here on my iphonemusicalmac
It's too bad mobile development isn't more of a priority (at least I haven't been told it is a priority). There are forums with mobile versions and utilizing their forums is a real joy.

OOPS SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With gamespot even desktop doesnt seem like a priority these days. :lol:

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I read an article that the 4S had a lot more stock originally since they could use older iPhone 4 parts in some components ... But the iPhone 5 has a lot of brand new components so that could have contributed?
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BeErBOnG29

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"][QUOTE="killblade37"]

BeErBOnG29

Source that 5's stock was equal to or MORE than 4S'? I don't think you know what a shortage is. It doesn't matter if the 5 was in manufacturing 15 years longer than the 4S, if there's a shortage of a specific needed part, then that will halt manufacturing.

That's what I thought. Once again, drivel that no one should be paying attention to.

nihao159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nihao159
Member since 2012 • 113 Posts
Sales now?
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Older sib. just placed the order looks like Im getting the 16 again.. pretty PO'd but Ill live. I just can't figure out what to do with such tiny space :\

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 musicalmac  Moderator

That's what I thought. Once again, drivel that no one should be paying attention to.

BeErBOnG29
You need to back off, or else your posts will begin to disappear.

As for the topic at hand--

iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Top Two Million in First 24 Hours

That's another record-breaking release, and puts the iPhone 5 on par to break the previous sales record set by the 4S.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

F*** Me 2 million pre orders. It seems Apple sales have not slowed at all. Good work! 2 million milestone and its not even launched.

EDIT : :P lol musical mac ninjad me by half an hour -_-'

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gambler_3

Galaxy S3 had nine-million pre-orders so what record??

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mystic_knight

Gambler_3
That's not what he was indicating at, in 24 hours it sold 2 million 24 HOURS. Samsung never released their 24 hour figures. So for now what musical mac has said is very valid, it holds the record for most pre orders in 24 hours.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

mystic_knight

That's not what he was indicating at, in 24 hours it sold 2 million 24 HOURS. Samsung never released their 24 hour figures. So for now what musical mac has said is very valid, it holds the record for most pre orders in 24 hours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9274390/Samsung-S3-9-million-pre-order-new-Galaxy-phone.html

So just because samsung didnt release numbers mean apple has the record? Apple has never ever revealed the lifetime sales of ANY iphone model, does that mean iphone is not the best selling phone?

S3 didnt even launch in the US on day one. I dont think samsung sells too many units from their website so that again makes the 24 hour thing complicated.

JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JasonDarksavior

F*** Me 2 million pre orders. It seems Apple sales have not slowed at all. Good work! 2 million milestone and its not even launched.

EDIT : :P lol musical mac ninjad me by half an hour -_-'

mystic_knight
It's pretty damn amazing.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"][QUOTE="Kid-Atari"] Source that 5's stock was equal to or MORE than 4S'? I don't think you know what a shortage is. It doesn't matter if the 5 was in manufacturing 15 years longer than the 4S, if there's a shortage of a specific needed part, then that will halt manufacturing.BeErBOnG29

You were saying? iPhone 5, sold double the amount the iPhone 4S in even less time. Ahhhhhh. Yes. Enjoy it.

Gambler_3
Those aren't customer pre-orders man. We've been through this so many times. That's 9 million carrier pre-orders. That means the amalgamation of different carriers pre-ordered stock to the collective tune of 9 million units. Facepalm. There's no way in hell that phone will sell even at half the pace the iphone 5 is now
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

The numbers are about double that of 4S but do keep in mind one huge difference, the iphone 5 has been made available to pre-order in more countries than the 4S.

I wouldnt bet on it but apple might be hitting saturation soon.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deleteduser198

The numbers are about double that of 4S but do keep in mind one huge difference, the iphone 5 has been made available to pre-order in more countries than the 4S.

I wouldnt bet on it but apple might be hitting saturation soon.

Gambler_3
Yeah. Let's marginalize the whopping success the 5 is enjoying even before its release. :roll: Orrrr, it could be because of the fact that 1 out of every 5 android owner has decided to make the switch.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gambler_3

Orrrr, it could be because of the fact that 1 out of every 5 android owner has decided to make the switch.Kid-Atari
Haha you wish!!

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BeErBOnG29
[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]

musicalmac
You need to back off, or else your posts will begin to disappear.

Then make them disappear. You act like I care, lol... Sorry for calling people out that need a reality check. I was simply asking for a source when there wasn't one. It's irrelevant now as there's proof, but there wasn't when I made the comment and then was ignored after making it. Sorry buddy!
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JasonDarksavior
Well Apple's stock price just further rose and hits a new record - $699.8 per share.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 musicalmac  Moderator
Well Apple's stock price just further rose and hits a new record - $699.8 per share. JasonDarksavior
It did cross 700 during the middle of the trading day.

Here's an interesting chart that outlines how successive iPhone releases are becoming more popular by leaps and bounds.

Apple is about to destroy the phoneverse. EDIT: Hopefully this also helps dispell rumors of the 4S and it's "lackluster" appeal, because this data proves otherwise.
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JasonDarksavior
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]Well Apple's stock price just further rose and hits a new record - $699.8 per share. musicalmac
It did cross 700 during the middle of the trading day.

Here's an interesting chart that outlines how successive iPhone releases are becoming more popular by leaps and bounds.

Apple is about to destroy the phoneverse. EDIT: Hopefully this also helps dispell rumors of the 4S and it's "lackluster" appeal, because this data proves otherwise.

If only I had a time machine to travel back to the 80s and get shares! :P
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gambler_3

But the iphone 4S sales dipped only after a mere 6 months thats why apple was forced to cut it's life to 10 months. I dont remember the same happening with iphone 4 and that thing lasted 18 months as a flagship simply because the iphone 4 was truly a ground breaking product.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 musicalmac  Moderator

But the iphone 4S sales dipped only after a mere 6 months thats why apple was forced to cut it's life to 10 months. I dont remember the same happening with iphone 4 and that thing lasted 18 months as a flagship simply because the iphone 4 was truly a ground breaking product.

Gambler_3
It was the highest selling phone on every US network until August, the monoth before the next iPhone was released. It's also important to note that Apple wasn't forced to end anything, Apple has always had an annual update cycle on most of its products. It's safe to assume they're talking about the 5S for next September/October timeframe (or whatever it is going to be called).
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mystic_knight
They really should just drop the number and go the same path as the rest of their apple lines. The problem is it would be hard to distinguish between the upgraded version.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

musicalmac

It was the highest selling phone on every US network until August, the monoth before the next iPhone was released. It's also important to note that Apple wasn't forced to end anything, Apple has always had an annual update cycle on most of its products. It's safe to assume they're talking about the 5S for next September/October timeframe (or whatever it is going to be called).

Because its only available on 3 networks. And US is where apple performs best anyways the worldwide numbers dipped majorly even though the 4S was only 5 months old, didnt happen with the iphone 4 or 3GS. There have been reports that apple pushed forward the release of the iphone 5 due to the lackluster Q2 2012. It made sense the 4S screen size alone made it an unappealing product to many.

But if it happens again with the iphone 5 then we can say that the iphone has saturated.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]They really should just drop the number and go the same path as the rest of their apple lines. The problem is it would be hard to distinguish between the upgraded version.

I'm surprised they didn't. The iPad is no longer numerical, it would have made sense for the iPhone to drop the numbers as well. I'm sure we'll figure out the logic in the coming year or two.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

Because its only available on 3 networks. And US is where apple performs best anyways the worldwide numbers dipped majorly even though the 4S was only 5 months old, didnt happen with the iphone 4 or 3GS. There have been reports that apple pushed forward the release of the iphone 5 due to the lackluster Q2 2012. It made sense the 4S screen size alone made it an unappealing product to many.

But if it happens again with the iphone 5 then we can say that the iphone has saturated.

People work out patterns, more people would likely buy an iPhone at the beginning of its life year. Would you buy a galaxy s 3 around april or may knowing the s4 will be around the corner? Their phones are doing very well the iphone 4s still did great regardless of any of our opinions. The iPhone 5 will undoubtedly surpass the 4S
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Still... correct me if Im wrong, but didn't the 4S still out do the early models towards the half life of the cycle?

Besides in terms of the jump from 3gs to 4, which I got, the 4s upgrade never wowwed me enough to get one. The 5 is perfect in my situation with the overhaul cycle and my contract being over coming from the 4.

Nevertheless I have to wait until oct 5 or so, before I get the phone :\ time to get something to keep me busy at the mean time.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gambler_3

Still... correct me if Im wrong, but didn't the 4S still out do the early models towards the half life of the cycle?

Besides in terms of the jump from 3gs to 4, which I got, the 4s upgrade never wowwed me enough to get one. The 5 is perfect in my situation with the overhaul cycle and my contract being over coming from the 4.

Nevertheless I have to wait until oct 5 or so, before I get the phone :\ time to get something to keep me busy at the mean time.

Bikouchu35

Apple never reveals how much any phone sells.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gambler_3

People work out patterns, more people would likely buy an iPhone at the beginning of its life year. Would you buy a galaxy s 3 around april or may knowing the s4 will be around the corner? Their phones are doing very well the iphone 4s still did great regardless of any of our opinions. The iPhone 5 will undoubtedly surpass the 4Smystic_knight
Actually it can still make sense to do that as samsung drops the price on a flagship considerably after 8-10 months so people who will buy S3 right before S4 comes wont really be getting a bad deal. But for those who just got an iphone 4S for the price they would get an iphone 5 a month later, well thats a bad situation to be in.