Apple-Certified HORIPAD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

YUP.

I'm not sure what else needs to be said. It's a Horipad built for iOS and the Apple TV. Apple certified. Hot dog.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Well, at least I agree with the name, because it does look HORIble :P

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

It was probably too much to ask to avoid that joke.

Only the Apple-certified hori controller would be looked at like a negative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

What exactly does being Apple Certified achieve for it though? I mean honestly it looks like something you'd buy at a dollar store. It's design is incredibly lazy and uninspired. That thing is like the epitome of generic game controller.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Oh god, seriously apple needs to learn they have no place in the gaming market...

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I applaud Apple for trying to break into the gaming market. More competition is only beneficial. However, I doubt they'll get anywhere with it.

As for the controller, I agree that it looks like a cheap generic controller. I'm not saying it is, just that it looks like it. I find it odd that Apple doesn't make their own controller (at least not that I can find) as they usually love to control every aspect of their business. Seems odd to rely on 3rd party controllers if you're actually serious about breaking into the gaming market.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

Meanwhile, no official Android certified standardized game controller or format exists.

People doubting Apple will get anywhere with gaming, meanwhile, iOS makes ten times more money and sees hundreds more titles than Nintendo and Sony in their own mobile gaming market.

The delusions are real. Denial can be interesting to watch.

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

The controller looks incomplete, more like a prototype model.

It's exciting to see Apple are getting into the gaming industry, and I think they can be very successful with it too.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 musicalmac  Moderator

@ferret-gamer said:
@musicalmac said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

What exactly does being Apple Certified achieve for it though? I mean honestly it looks like something you'd buy at a dollar store. It's design is incredibly lazy and uninspired. That thing is like the epitome of generic game controller.

Because it's made specifically for Apple devices. Hori is making Apple-specific game pads. That's why it's interesting. I was set on Steel Series Nimbus, but this makes my decision a little harder.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ferret-gamer: apple certified means it will cost twice as much now.

Not a good controller thumb sticks are in not in natural position.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mister-Man

@thehig1: Looks more spaced out compared to dual shock thumbsticks.

Looks fine.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thehig1

@mister-man: natural position as in not next each other, the xbox thumbstick placement is natural, this would suck for fps or any other game that uses both thumbsticks

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mister-Man

@thehig1: I reiterate. The Dual Shock controller for the PS2, PS3 and PS4 has thumb sticks that are even closer to each other and lower than what is pictured here.

Dumb argument.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mister-Man

... and I will happily remind you that Android still lacks any meaningful controller layout standard.

Enjoy.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thehig1

@mister-man said:

... and I will happily remind you that Android still lacks any meaningful controller layout standard.

Enjoy.

@mister-man said:

@thehig1: I reiterate. The Dual Shock controller for the PS2, PS3 and PS4 has thumb sticks that are even closer to each other and lower than what is pictured here.

Dumb argument.

If you say that's a dumb argument I take it your not really a much of a gamer, if you have used both 360/X1 and PS controllers for an extended period of time you'd know the thumb stick layout on 360/X1 controllers is better, and more natural.

When you hold any controller your thumbs naturally rest very close to were the thumb sticks are on 360/X1 controllers, on PS you have to move them in centrally. On Ps4 or any other controller with that layout you push your thumbs down sightly.

The PS4 layout can give nice hand cramps if playing FPS or any other games using two thumb sticks for a long time, the horripad would be no different.

Also the 360 controller works well with android

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mister-Man

@thehig1: No it's a pretty dumb argument. I had a 360. Murdered CoD from MW1 to MW3. Have a PS4. Murdering BF4. Both are comfortable. Ask PS4 owners.

This horipad looks just as comfortable. The butthurt is real.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thehig1

@mister-man: the ps2 and ps3 gave me terrible hand cramps, the thumbstick placement isnt natural the 360 design is just better.

Just because you dissmiss it as a dumb argument because apple are perfect in your eyes doesent make it a dumb arguement.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mister-Man

@thehig1: No, I call it a dumb argument not because of Apple, but because the dual shock controller has recieved unanimous praise as being one of the most comfortable and natural controllers in videogaming history. So much so that Sony has BARELY changed its core dimensions due to its sheer popularity alone.

So unless you have petite hands the size of tinkerbells palms, I call bullshit. I have huge hands and the dualshock is pleasant to hold. Just as much as my 360 controller was.

And considering the horipad has a more "natural" spaced thumbstick placement that also rests a little higher than the dual shock, that means it will be just fine.

Dumb.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musicalmac  Moderator

I with the layout was similar to that on the 360/XO controller, but I don't think it's a travesty that it's more like the PS4.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thehig1

@musicalmac: the DS4 did improve upon the DS3 and DS2, however the two thumb sticks are still central which still means hand cramp central for me, and if you look at other opinions by searching system wars and other areas of the net I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Aside from that, is that the finished controller ? It does look like a prototype ?

I would have thought Apple would have made it themselves instead of using a third party, if you stick the apple logo on a controller you can sell it for £99.99 easy.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@thehig1:I agree with you on the layout, but I don't get cramps. It's just more natural for my hands with a 360/XO layout.

And it's not a prototype, but that image makes it look more like a prototype than the other images. It's very no-nonsense. Check out the other images on the Apple Store website.

And Apple DID team up with someone to make the first official Apple TV controller, and you can see that online (Steel Series Nimbus). I'll probably get the latter. I think.