Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Link

I mean I guess it could have been worse. They could have invested that money into a boring franchise devoid of any redeeming quality what so ever like Ghost Recon. But ugh I really can't say I want a new Splinter Cell after Conviction. I would be fine with an action/stealth approach if they had at least done a good job with it. But no they had to go throw a FPS mission in it.

Oh well at least there is always Chaos Theory and it's excellence

Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_-_Chaos_The

*sigh* back when Ubisoft was good at videogames...sort of.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
I have Conviction. I want to see why people say it's so bad. Is it like the RE4 of the RE series where the previous fanbase absolutely hated it or is just a terrible game all around ?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I have Conviction. I want to see why people say it's so bad. Is it like the RE4 of the RE series where the previous fanbase absolutely hated it or is just a terrible game all around ?kage_53
I wish it was the RE 4 of the series.

That means it's constantly sh1tting on the old fanbase with its excellence. The game is a sack of crap. There just aren't that many options from a stealth standpoint. The action is way too automated because of the mark and execute feature, and the level design almost forces you to constantly shoot your way out. Convictions constantly funnels you down one path and shooting dudes. The game has a FPS level to boot.

Which honestly could be forgiven if the action was good, but it's not. The gunplay still isn't really satisfying in any way, the enemies are way too dumb and samey to be fun to fight, and the restricted nature of the game doesn't help much either. Had the game actually had a more mini sandbox level thing going on(like that one mansion early in the game, just way more elaborate) it could have been solid-good. Plus giving you back basic things like dragging bodies or I don't know the damn leg split Sam has been doing since the first game would have been nice. Oh and no spies vs Mercs. Who approved that?

On the flip side while some people think the cover scheme in conviction is way too automatic for its own good. It responds nicely, it's fluid, and it's actually kind of cool. I kind of didn't mind how that worked, and at no point did I wish the cover scheme was like Gears or Uncharted. Which is my reaction to the cover schemes of GTA 4, RDR, Mafia 2, Mass Effect etc, etc. That and the coop campaign is worth a playtrhough, and the ending for that mode is actually really cool.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
Ouch. :( OT: Reminds me, I need to pick up the other Splinter Cell games, Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I have Conviction. I want to see why people say it's so bad. Is it like the RE4 of the RE series where the previous fanbase absolutely hated it or is just a terrible game all around ?kage_53
Little of column A, little of column B. I personally thought it was a good game in its own way, but it's certainly nothing like the previous Splinter Cells. I might have hated it too if I was a Splinter Cell fan.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I'd still say it generally lacked anything resembling worthwhile gameplay (aside from the odd open-ish section, it was like the worst of stealth games mixed with the worst of cover shooters and manshooter aesthetics), but yeah, selling it as a Splinter Cell title instead of a new IP was the crap cherry on top of a sh*t sundae.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

Being a metal gear fan(male), I was very anti splinter cell for a long time. However Chaos theory changed that, then double agent changed it back, and conviction was a pretty solid game up until the last few levels when it becomes a poorly designed shooter.

Basically it is better than double agent and not as good as CT. (For me)