Your thoughts on Jake Delhomme?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

I honestly am shocked at how many sports writers and critics make Jake Delhomme out to be this star quarterback in the league.  Im a diehard Panthers fan so I get to see this guy play a lot and I've been wanting his *** out of Carolina for a few years now.  Yes he was a big part of that 03 Super Bowl run, but back then he played with a lot of fire and passion, now he just throws his helmet everytime he throws a pick and then goes home and pigs out on all the chicken Bojangles is sending him.  He forces so many of his passes, I can't remember how many times he just chucked the ball up in the air to Steve Smith hoping he'll make a spectactular catch. Hes also very predictable, every time hes pointing down the field before he passes I almost think hes pointing to the safety or cornerback because thats usually to whom the ball gets thrown too.  When he got hurt last season I wanted Chris Weike to take his job so bad but he ended up worse than Delhomme.  Now David Carr is his backup and my only hope is he'll beat Delhomme out of the job though that seems unlikely.  My biggest fear is that the Panthers will hold on to Delhomme for way too long and will have no replacement for him when its obvious the guy has nothing left.

So does anyone here actually think Delhomme is a solid starting quarterback in the NFL or do you think hes just trash like me? 

piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 piper77
Member since 2003 • 2245 Posts
I think the reason their offense is good is because of Steve Smith, but Jake's a good QB. I wouldn't say the best, but he competes, and always looks like he wants to win. He just doesn't have all the weapons that other teams do. I like the Panthers. They're sorta my NFC team since I'm a transplanted Newenglander in the Mid-Atlantic. But I don't get why they're always picked to go to the Super Bowl. If they were a more complete team like they were when they went to the Super Bowl I could see it, but I don't see that in them now.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
He is a good QB but has really fallen off the last couple of years. It does help when you have Steve Smith but he really has been struggling more than he should be... Now he has Jarrett too so maybe he will get it together. Three solid WR's but no real running game to speak of... that might be the real issue since everyone knows the Panthers are going to pass it most of the time... Who knows...
MartinRiggs15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 MartinRiggs15
Member since 2004 • 614 Posts
I think Jake is burnt out, Panthers should put a young guy in his place and he can learn from Jake in some aspects, and his superbowl experience is a positive on the sidelines.
RPG10080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RPG10080
Member since 2005 • 7075 Posts
He makes hurried decisions, and often underthrows the ball. I'm a Panthers fan, and I'm really hoping Carr starts this year
RPG10080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RPG10080
Member since 2005 • 7075 Posts
He makes hurried decisions, and often underthrows the ball. I'm a Panthers fan, and I'm really hoping Carr starts this year
Shotfire20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Shotfire20
Member since 2005 • 1745 Posts
couldn't agree more with you.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

I think he's definitely lost his touch since his SuperBowl season, but a lot of that last season was his sore thumb. I agree he throws some floaters up there for Mr. Smith, but he also didn't have a consistant running game behind him. Not only that, but most of the offensive line was hurt last season, including our best tackle in Gross.

And with all that said, I still see this team competing with the Saints for the NFC South crown with Delhomme as the starter...

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

My thoughts on Delhomme...a second string quarterback.

Natural_Mystic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Natural_Mystic
Member since 2003 • 4117 Posts

Play-o me say Play-ay-ay-o

When payoff come we wan Delhomme

He can play, you say no way, come gameday, need big play, he'll save the day-ay-ay-o

When playoff come we wan Delhomme

Fox need to work all night because playbook a-dumb

Defenders stack the box to the morning come

Fox no pass, like to run in bunch

LB one, LB two, LB three, and RB go crunch

Fox should be sneaky like black tarantula

keep defenders guessing to gain advantage-a

Also, they need to strengthen the line they're getting long in the tooth and give him more deep threats. sorry I couln't get this part to rhyme but you get the point.

When playoffs come we wan Delhomme.

Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
why you want delhomme in the playoffs so he can ruin more games and throw more picks like 2 seasons ago when they almost went to conference championship ? or was that the conference championship ? i dont remember but i do remember him blowing it and blowing last season, he is worse than jake plummer was and drew bledsoe their last seasons. i put those 3 all in the same boat, used to be good QBs but aged bad and became bitter cus they couldnt win the big game. 2 of those have been dropped its time for delhomme to step aside and let carr throw some passes to smith and jarret cus now he has a decent offensive line, about damn time.
Natural_Mystic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Natural_Mystic
Member since 2003 • 4117 Posts
why you want delhomme in the playoffs so he can ruin more games and throw more picks like 2 seasons ago when they almost went to conference championship ? or was that the conference championship ? i dont remember but i do remember him blowing it and blowing last season, he is worse than jake plummer was and drew bledsoe their last seasons. i put those 3 all in the same boat, used to be good QBs but aged bad and became bitter cus they couldnt win the big game. 2 of those have been dropped its time for delhomme to step aside and let carr throw some passes to smith and jarret cus now he has a decent offensive line, about damn time.Chris-Hansen
I could be wrong about Delhomme.  It's possible he is getting old and can't do it anymore.  If it is on thing I'm guilty of it's failing to give up on players when they're performing poorly.  I have faith they will return to their former glory and become the player that initially earned my respect.  However, honestly, I don't think Delhomme is the problem.  I think the lack of a high scoring offensive attack forces him to take risks when the team gets behind.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

I think he's definitely lost his touch since his SuperBowl season, but a lot of that last season was his sore thumb. I agree he throws some floaters up there for Mr. Smith, but he also didn't have a consistant running game behind him. Not only that, but most of the offensive line was hurt last season, including our best tackle in Gross.

And with all that said, I still see this team competing with the Saints for the NFC South crown with Delhomme as the starter...

Ngamer05

The sore thumb isn't an excuse in my opinion, he was having a bad year before the injury and other quarterbacks (Brett Farve for example) have played through worse injuries.  Heres another thought for you all, two years ago when they went to the conference championship and lost to Seattle there was a game during the regular season against the Lions where Delhomme was having one of his bad games and we were losing because of it.  The Panthers were trying to take the lead with a few minutes to go and Delhomme wasn't getting anywhere.  Then he gets knocked out and Chris Weinke comes in and throws 6 completions to Ricky Prohel and wins the game for us.  This is just my opinion, if Delhomme hadn't gotten knocked out he wouldn't have won us that game and it could have cost us a playoff berth with the playoff race as close as it was.