Why is every single Madden cover athlete black?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Demodocus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Demodocus
Member since 2004 • 3138 Posts
I think around the time Vince Young was announced the new cover athlete I was browsing Wikipedia and I noticed ever single cover athlete of past Madden games were black.  I'm not insinuating anything here, it just seems strange.   I'll give it, there are a lot of black players in the NFL, and the series itself is named after a white guy, it just seemed odd to me, like maybe EA is trying to target the demographic or something, or maybe not...
PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
Well African Americans are great athletes so I guess thats why and they have considered guys like Peyton Manning its just I don't think anyone would want him on the cover because of that curse.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
I think its just because in the NFL player demographics black players tend to dominate the skill positions other than QB. Note that I'm not saying anything along the lines of blacks are superior athletes or anything, because the ironically named New Zealand All-Blacks (the mostly white/maori NZ national rugby team) would embarass any NFL team in terms of athletic ability.
Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
madden is trying ot ruin them thats why, they all end up getting injured. if i was a titans fan i would stop betting on that team cus i see a leg fracture coming on early in the season for young... teh curse is real baby
Ernice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Ernice
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts

hmmm, its never occured to me... but now that it has, hmmm, so what ? doesnt bother me.

if they're good, then its rightly so they are on the cover. and it doesnt matter if they are black or white or blue. i dont care

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Isn't something like 70% of the league black? With those kinds of odds, that chances are that the cover athlete will be black.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

madden is trying ot ruin them thats why, they all end up getting injured. if i was a titans fan i would stop betting on that team cus i see a leg fracture coming on early in the season for young... teh curse is real babyChris-Hansen

Yea :roll:

putting someone on the cover to a video game please you GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

that  be agreeing with jackson ....

Avatar image for 206461861543079188321160707076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 206461861543079188321160707076
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts
Isn't something like 70% of the league black? With those kinds of odds, that chances are that the cover athlete will be black.JML897
Thats a good point, but there have been 4 QBs on the cover thus far( a position that is probably 80% white) and all have been black.
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

I never really noticed until now. But, that's just the dominate race in football. The cover athletes for every other sports game reflect the same thing...

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

So what! 

It's similar to how the majority of videogames (probably about 93%) has a white leading character.  But when a black character is introduced in a non-sports game, people think the game sucks and not want to play it when in fact the game is decent.   

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Oh boy, this is alrady starting the begginings of a "blacks are better athletes" debate.
tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]Isn't something like 70% of the league black? With those kinds of odds, that chances are that the cover athlete will be black.Joelo8112002
Thats a good point, but there have been 4 QBs on the cover thus far( a position that is probably 80% white) and all have been black.

That's because people chosen have a hype behind them or had performed exceptionally well the previous season before.  Not saying that people like Tom Brady, Payton Manning and Adam Viniterri aren't good at what they do, it's just that the media is focused on newer stories...Tom Brady is nasty we all know that already, Payton Manning is alright (biased Pats fan!!!) and we all know that already, Adam is the top clutch kicker in the game and we all know that...it's time for something new.  Besides what difference does it make as long as the game is fun???  There are plenty of things in life that will seem funny to us because we all have different backgrounds and are biased in opinion to things that don't seem in our favor but that's how life is.  I never knew that fact, but it's semi true but did you ever think about the game of pool...why does the game end AFTER the white ball knocks the black ball off the table...why can't it be the other way around???  And of course you'd say what difference does it make or who cares...and I'd say exactly...it just doesn't matter.

tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

I think around the time Vince Young was announced the new cover athlete I was browsing Wikipedia and I noticed ever single cover athlete of past Madden games were black.  I'm not insinuating anything here, it just seems strange.   I'll give it, there are a lot of black players in the NFL, and the series itself is named after a white guy, it just seemed odd to me, like maybe EA is trying to target the demographic or something, or maybe not...Demodocus

Let's see the list:

Barry Sanders, Dorsey Levens, Eddie George, Daunte Culpepper, Marshall Faulk, Michael Vick, Ray Lewis, Donovan McNabb, Shaun Alexander and Vince Young...yea...they do all seem black...oh, wait and of course you can't forget JOHN MADDEN who was on the cover until 1999 and I believe he was drafted by the Eagles in 1958 making him an athele as well...do your research!!!  Wikipedia baby!!!

But call EA and ask them...I'd be interested in what they had to say...ha ha...

Demodocus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Demodocus
Member since 2004 • 3138 Posts

I think around the time Vince Young was announced the new cover athlete I was browsing Wikipedia and I noticed ever single cover athlete of past Madden games were black. I'm not insinuating anything here, it just seems strange. I'll give it, there are a lot of black players in the NFL, and the series itself is named after a white guy, it just seemed odd to me, like maybe EA is trying to target the demographic or something, or maybe not...Demodocus

Don't insult me.
BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BobC
Member since 2003 • 6259 Posts
70% of NFL players are black, is this really surprising? The real questions are: Why is every NFL team owner white? Why are there only 3 black general managers? 6 black head coaches?
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

The black athlete revolutionized sports. They have a must win attitude that causes them to be absolute players out there at all times because (and this is a little known, yet semi-obvious fact) most of them came from nothing.  We are talking dirt poor here.  Many are the first in their families to go to college, and dispite what the ridiculous hip hop culture of today would tell you, 90% of blacks don't want to be "OG's" their entire lives.  They want to make their families proud.  The best way to do that?  Use the talents you have available. Get a degree, and play on sundays. I play college football, I believe 67/85 guys on our team are black. The reason? I have a friend who plays football at Notre Dame. We graduated the same year and worked out together really heavily. We were talking, I mentioned how when I was a kid i sat in my basement playing videogames and how I regret it now. He laughed and said he never played videogames as a kid, his mom couldn't afford them, nor would she let him play them. She threw him outside and gave him a football. All he did day after day was play football and dream about playing for either Notre Dame or Ohio State. Turns out all that practice made him an athlete, he stands 6'5, weighs 245-250 pounds, and runs a 4.6 40 yd dash. He got so fast because when he wasn't playing football, he was racing other kids....

Theres a real life example of why black athletes are normally so much better than white ones.

BTW, I'm white.

ScorpiuS739

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ScorpiuS739
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts
Yea I would love to see Jeff Saturday, or some other fat offensive lineman on the cover lol!!
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Maybe they just all happen to be the guy in the spotlight at their moment. About Peyton Manning...I think that he didn't get on simply because it seems that people hate him or love him equally.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mazing87

Great analysis tryfe, especially your analysis about the Pool game!!!

As he said, as long as the game is fun, that's all that matters.  Some of you are complaining about this issue and ultimately, you will be on a line in August buying the game anyway.  This should be a dead topic because it will only spark unwanted tension... 

That's because people chosen have a hype behind them or had performed exceptionally well the previous season before.  Not saying that people like Tom Brady, Payton Manning and Adam Viniterri aren't good at what they do, it's just that the media is focused on newer stories...Tom Brady is nasty we all know that already, Payton Manning is alright (biased Pats fan!!!) and we all know that already, Adam is the top clutch kicker in the game and we all know that...it's time for something new.  Besides what difference does it make as long as the game is fun???  There are plenty of things in life that will seem funny to us because we all have different backgrounds and are biased in opinion to things that don't seem in our favor but that's how life is.  I never knew that fact, but it's semi true but did you ever think about the game of pool...why does the game end AFTER the white ball knocks the black ball off the table...why can't it be the other way around???  And of course you'd say what difference does it make or who cares...and I'd say exactly...it just doesn't matter.

tryfe_lyn
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
Marketing my friend its all about the Marketing which has nothing to do with race btw.  EA is smart they choose what appeals more to the kids who are going to buy this game this also goes for the NBA 2k series you think Nash doesnt deserve to be on the cover one year, the problem is he doesn't really appeal to everyone, they are going to do whatever it takes to get more sales out of the game and so they choose the athletes who appeal more to the people who buy the games
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Something tells me that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning wanted a TON of money to be on the cover and EA couldn't afford it.

It's probably a money issue more then anything.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
Why do you even notice that? I mean it isn't a big deal at all.
PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PatsFanVince
Yea I don't even know why theres a discussion on it.  It really shouldn't matter whos on the cover.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

what about nhl, did u notice that?

VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VERS1ON
Member since 2003 • 1188 Posts

BeanTownBrown86

Jarome Iginla, who is black, was on the cover of NHL 2003. 

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
I say put Jake Delhomme on the cover so the curse will affect him and he'll get his head taken off during a game.
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BeanTownBrown86
[QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"]

VERS1ON

yah but hes half white
jeebuscrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jeebuscrust
Member since 2004 • 5571 Posts

BeanTownBrown86

How many black people play in the NHL? 

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nygiants1080
[QUOTE="VERS1ON"][QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"]

BeanTownBrown86

yah but hes half white

Wow, who cares what color their skin is? If they are a good athlete let them be on it. It shouldn't matter if your black, white, asian or any other kind of race.

BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BeanTownBrown86
[QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"]

jeebuscrust

How many black people play in the NHL? 

i duno, 3 maybe? i dont watch hockey so i couldnt tell u
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dcowboys3315
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
here we go again.  there has already been posts like this.  how come it seems like so many things leads to the color of people still.  who cares.
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BeanTownBrown86
[QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"][QUOTE="VERS1ON"][QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"]

nygiants1080

yah but hes half white

Wow, who cares what color their skin is? If they are a good athlete let them be on it. It shouldn't matter if your black, white, asian or any other kind of race.

calm down sir, i didnt say it was a bad thing, or that i cared about wat race was on the cover, the statemen about the dude being half white was suppose to be a joke,
PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PatsFanVince
I swear people just start topics like this to stir up trouble.
MartinRiggs15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 MartinRiggs15
Member since 2004 • 614 Posts

The ratio of blacks:whites in football is somewhere between 3:1 and 5:1, and a lot more black players are vocal and big icons for things other than their talent. lots of them are outspoken, like chad johnson, and they get lots of press coverage. The point of the cover athlete is to be a knowable guy who even non-football fans can know.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nygiants1080
calm down sir, i didnt say it was a bad thing, or that i cared about wat race was on the cover, the statemen about the dude being half white was suppose to be a joke, BeanTownBrown86

Oh...well that flew over my head :P

eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts
why does someone always have to bring something like this up?  WHO CARES, nobody should care about this.
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
Does it matter?
SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SkyCastleDan
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

This is a simple answer. There has been much said about who buys Madden games. It's not white folk. African Americans dominate Madden sales so why wouldn't they put an African American athlete on the cover?

AND WHO CARES ANYWAYS? What, Shaun Alexander, Mike Vick, Ray Lewis, Donovan McNabb....they didn't deserve it or something? Last time I checked, they weren't just black, they are also great athletes and faces of the NFL. Vince Young may be prematurely receiving this distinction. Devin Hester and LT were the other considerations that we know of, so I think with that being said LT was the better choice but Charger fans I guess went into a riot to keep him off the cover due to the proven "Madden Curse".

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

Isn't something like 70% of the league black? With those kinds of odds, that chances are that the cover athlete will be black.JML897

I agree. I highly doubt it's EA trying to do anything in particular it just so happens that the position they wanted to highlight in the game (which in years past has been how they pick the player) was dominated by a black player. Nothing more than that. They go with solid guys and I doubt they care what their ethnic background is... I mean, look at the MVP baseball games, they had a white guy and then you have the Nascar games... I never see a black guy on those but nobody else complains... I will say they need to put someone else on those Tiger Woods games!!! They act like it's named after the guy or something...:P 

VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VERS1ON
Member since 2003 • 1188 Posts
In retrospect, it's basically making up for not being able to put him on the NCAA 07 cover. Plus, it'd be nice to see some sort of enhancement of Superstar, or the ability of Impact Rookies or something having to do with rookies.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
I think the more important question to be asked is: why, in this day and age, does it matter?
Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts

This is a simple answer. There has been much said about who buys Madden games. It's not white folk. African Americans dominate Madden sales so why wouldn't they put an African American athlete on the cover?

AND WHO CARES ANYWAYS? What, Shaun Alexander, Mike Vick, Ray Lewis, Donovan McNabb....they didn't deserve it or something? Last time I checked, they weren't just black, they are also great athletes and faces of the NFL. Vince Young may be prematurely receiving this distinction. Devin Hester and LT were the other considerations that we know of, so I think with that being said LT was the better choice but Charger fans I guess went into a riot to keep him off the cover due to the proven "Madden Curse".

SkyCastleDan
blacks dominate madden sales ? are you joking dude ? seriously that has to be a joke cus i know it aint proven, it has to be more like around 10-20 %. blacks are just known to be great athletes and thats a fact, not saying they are better or anything its just they get the most attention maybe because of TO and ocho cinco etc, and all the movies. and we know peyton and brady and all the other noticable athletes probably wanted too much money(peyton just won superbowl his worth shot through the roof, and brady is a pretty boy and already won 3 so hes worth like a billion dollars) so they get the rookie who hasnt earned it yet and is cheap but is known from the colllege championship thats all.
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts
These threads are bad for your souls people, just enjoy the games, Vince Young is a great player, he deserves some recognition, we shouldn't care about anybody's skincolor.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the cover I didn't think was a great player in recent years, and I'ven ever seen anything to make me think that something as simple as the athlete selected to be on the cover of a game was somehow race related issue.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mazing87
Well maybe this thread should be locked up since all this does is spark up unwanted, unnecessary attention!  It's funny how I get modded for saying "What?"(reason is for Disruptive posting) because I didn't know what the original poster was trying to say in one thread but a thread like this starts nothing but trouble becomes a very hot topic.
KaptainKorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KaptainKorn
Member since 2005 • 673 Posts

If a game's cover reflected the demographics of its league, I would be convinced that Major League Baseball is made up of only Derek Jeter, lol.

Boocian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Boocian
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts
It is cause mostly all black people play sports video games. The ratio for which race plays the most sports games it is probably african americans. Black people got their sports games, white people got their fps and asian people got their rts.
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
It would only be right to make the next cover athlete a center.  I think whites rule at that position.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#49 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

The black athlete revolutionized sports. They have a must win attitude that causes them to be absolute players out there at all times because (and this is a little known, yet semi-obvious fact) most of them came from nothing.  We are talking dirt poor here.  Many are the first in their families to go to college, and dispite what the ridiculous hip hop culture of today would tell you, 90% of blacks don't want to be "OG's" their entire lives.  They want to make their families proud.  The best way to do that?  Use the talents you have available. Get a degree, and play on sundays. I play college football, I believe 67/85 guys on our team are black. The reason? I have a friend who plays football at Notre Dame. We graduated the same year and worked out together really heavily. We were talking, I mentioned how when I was a kid i sat in my basement playing videogames and how I regret it now. He laughed and said he never played videogames as a kid, his mom couldn't afford them, nor would she let him play them. She threw him outside and gave him a football. All he did day after day was play football and dream about playing for either Notre Dame or Ohio State. Turns out all that practice made him an athlete, he stands 6'5, weighs 245-250 pounds, and runs a 4.6 40 yd dash. He got so fast because when he wasn't playing football, he was racing other kids....

Theres a real life example of why black athletes are normally so much better than white ones.

BTW, I'm white.

TheSystemLord1

Not to be racist at all because I do have quite a few black friends, but the "must-win" attitude you say black players have is a bit of a fantasy.  I have huge amounts of experience in this area (you may be surprised), and most of what I have seen from black players (about 70/110 players on my high school team alone were black) is a focus on what football can do for THEIR lives, and don't give a damn for the team.  Not true for all, but it is true for a good amount.  I was told by quite a few about how much money they would make when they got pro (THIS IS BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL) and about how THEY are making the team better, and if THEY can get the ball, we should win.  That's the difference between the white man's view on the game and the black man's view.  Black players are mostly self-centered ( and I'm NOT saying that they are bad people), white players play for the team.  Of course, I've known some black players that are really good guys and came from dirt-poor homes, and tried to change their lives by playing football as hard as they can, but the majority aren't like that.  Anyone with college or high school experience will know this.  Well, maybe depending on where you live.  

I'll also say this for those on here that are saying "black athletes are so much better than white ones" bs.  They are a bit stronger and a bit faster, but saying white guys can't hang with black guys is stupid.  Both receivers my senior year were white (me and one of my best friends on the team), and both of us contributed heavily in our first game of that season, as our team stunned the best program in the nation by 10.  I had 5 catches on the game, he had 6 (not bad for a run-based team).  But to be fair, the player that led us through the game was our black tailback who blew his ACL in the second game of the season (now a DE at Florida State, don't know if he'll start this season or not).  He was a great guy too.  After blowing his ACL, he came back for the last game of the season as we fought the eventuall state champs to the bitter end.  Hardest working guy I've ever known, because, like I said, I'm not being racist; just handing out facts I've learned through my experiences.  Sorry, I'm getting a bit off track now, but hopefully you guys see my point.

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Well....maby the majority of NFL players are African American??