Someone needs to tell the Canadian sports networks that POKER IS *NOT* A SPORT!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
Last night, after getting home from my Law & Morality exam, I was looking forward to settling down to a night of sports. The Jays were hosting the Tigers, and the Raptors were hosting the Pistons. I figured that TSN would be showing the Predators/Sharks game, so I tuned into The Score to see if the basketball game was being broadcast there. Wasn't! They had some show about snowboarding (which is not as good as showing a Raptor game, but at least it's a sport!). So then I tuned into Rogers Sportsnet, figuring that if I couldn't watch Bosh tear up the Pistons' second-stringers, I could at least watch Halladay blow away the Tigers, and they were showing a GOD-DAMN POKER TOURNAMENT! You'd think that Ted Rogers would have all 162 Jays' game broadcast on the network HE OWNS (since he owns the Jays and the Sports Network that bears his name) but no, they were showing POKER!!!! What the hell is going on?! Sportsnet isn't the only one to do this, The Score shows poker all the time, and even TSN has poker now too. I don't like this one bit, Poker does not belong on Sports channels!

Is this phenomenon at all seen in the States; does FSN, ESPN, NESN, or any of the craploads of other Sports networks ever show Poker instead of a hometeam game?
Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts
The big poker boom came a few years ago, so pretty much all the sports channels have poker now. But all local games come before poker, so I don't mind.
gameboi_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gameboi_92
Member since 2007 • 4613 Posts
SO TRUE!!!! I've been waiting for someone to say this :D
KaptainKorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KaptainKorn
Member since 2005 • 673 Posts

It's because of the NHL lockout a few years back. They needed something to fill the air time and apparently people ate it up. I love playing it, but it's even harder to watch than golf.

I'd still watch it over Nascar though. :P 

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZebethOrZebes

It's because of the NHL lockout a few years back. They needed something to fill the air time and apparently people ate it up. I love playing it, but it's even harder to watch than golf.

KaptainKorn

I'd rather shave with steal wool than watch either! And I don't even shave!
FlamesFan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FlamesFan2
Member since 2006 • 5118 Posts
I agree.  Poker should NOT be on TV.  Who enjoys watching this stuff? 
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
I felt the same way yesterday, I ended up watching the gamecasts.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

I agree.  Poker should NOT be on TV.  Who enjoys watching this stuff?  FlamesFan2

Seriously...they might as well put a television show of some one sitting down and playing with legos.

MartinRiggs15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 MartinRiggs15
Member since 2004 • 614 Posts
Neither is wrestling.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
I don't get the Canadian broadcasters fasination with nascar (or anyones fasination with nascar for that matter), poker. wrestling and cheap UFC ripoffs. I mean pretty much every night there is a canadian team playing in either the NBA, NHL, MLB or (obviously) the CFL.
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
yeah poker is taking over TV......i found poker on all sports channel including espn. i even found poker on nbc, traveling channel, a movie channel, some other channel that i forgot. But yeah it's everywhere.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZebethOrZebes
yeah poker is taking over TV......i found poker on all sports channel including espn. i even found poker on nbc, traveling channel, a movie channel, some other channel that i forgot. But yeah it's everywhere. badaboom187
What is so great about watching people manage probability and do their best to keep a straight face?

I'd rather watch paint dry, especially if they gave it the dynamic lighting and unique camera angles that the producers of Poker events to make it seem like it's more exciting than it really is.
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
[QUOTE="badaboom187"]yeah poker is taking over TV......i found poker on all sports channel including espn. i even found poker on nbc, traveling channel, a movie channel, some other channel that i forgot. But yeah it's everywhere. ZebethOrZebes
What is so great about watching people manage probability and do their best to keep a straight face?

I'd rather watch paint dry, especially if they gave it the dynamic lighting and unique camera angles that the producers of Poker events to make it seem like it's more exciting than it really is.

lol I didn't say i watch poker. it's really boring. I'm just saying its everywhere. hahaha paint dry.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZebethOrZebes
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="badaboom187"]yeah poker is taking over TV......i found poker on all sports channel including espn. i even found poker on nbc, traveling channel, a movie channel, some other channel that i forgot. But yeah it's everywhere. badaboom187

lol I didn't say i watch poker. it's really boring. I'm just saying its everywhere. hahaha paint dry.

Wasn't accusing you of liking watching poker, fellow Niners fan.
blackjack4124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 blackjack4124
Member since 2004 • 5793 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesFan2"]I agree.  Poker should NOT be on TV.  Who enjoys watching this stuff?  nygiants1080

Seriously...they might as well put a television show of some one sitting down and playing with legos.

Seen it. Crazy current affairs programs.

njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 njdss4
Member since 2003 • 2721 Posts
[QUOTE="KaptainKorn"]

ZebethOrZebes

I'd rather shave with STEEL wool than watch either! And I don't even shave!

Poker should only be on at 2am when there's nothing but infomercials on.  Even the US has started doing this crap.  It's so boring!  It's as bad as NASCAR!   

StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Poker is so boreing to watch i mean i like watching golf but poker is boreing.

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZebethOrZebes
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="KaptainKorn"]

njdss4

I'd rather shave with STEEL wool than watch either! And I don't even shave!

Poker should only be on at 2am when there's nothing but infomercials on.  Even the US has started doing this crap.  It's so boring!  It's as bad as NASCAR!   

Yes, I spelt "steel" incorrectly.
ronniemoisture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ronniemoisture
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
"Hey big time Canadian Sports Network Poker is not a sport" just kidding its not a sport and its boring id rather watch old ladys play lawn darts on tv than some know it all poker "star" and i use that term verrrrrrry loosley.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
Poker is as much a sport as Nascar and Bowling.  And please don't use that language (GD).  It's offensive to many people, and I'm sure against he TOS without the hyphen.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZebethOrZebes

Bowling requires physical skills, and I'm sure NASCAR fans will tell you that it's physically demanding to be a NASCAR driver (though that doesn't make it interesting), but where is the PHYSICAL aspect of poker?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Bowling requires physical skills, and I'm sure NASCAR fans will tell you that it's physically demanding to be a NASCAR driver (though that doesn't make it interesting), but where is the PHYSICAL aspect of poker?

ZebethOrZebes

The mental strain involved is unmatched. It more than makes up for lack of physical skill. /sarcasm