Poll DH in NL Pitcher batting in AL or the system we have now

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
I think all teams should have DHs
Steelers_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Steelers_86
Member since 2003 • 2268 Posts
i dont mind the dh, but i dont like that the leagues are different. either they should both have it or neither have it.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I don't think there is any pressing need to change the current system, but if I had my choice there would be no DH.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
i personally think having the pitcher bat is a waste
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#5 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
I like the tradional way of the pitchers having to bat.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
I like the AL system better, more offense and no "automatic" outs. Besides, watching the Jay's pitchers going anywhere near a batters box these days makes me queasy with all the injuries they already have.
Avatar image for schoolisnotkool
schoolisnotkool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 schoolisnotkool
Member since 2004 • 1973 Posts
Although I do like the dh, I would much rather see good ol' baseball where the pitcher bats in both leagues...
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

acutally it all started with the pitcher hitting

so in al and nl it was no such thing as dh

and  i rather have it is now

Last_Stand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Last_Stand
Member since 2004 • 3281 Posts
I hate the DH. There is so much more strategy involved in the pitcher-batting rule. The team is forced to have a good bench and their pitcher has to be able to bunt.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
The DH is gimmick and it should be removed.  The NL is pure baseball.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wavebrid

The DH is gimmick and it should be removed.  The NL is pure baseball.murlow12

so is nl is a gimmick... :roll:

but i like the hd why?

1. pitching dosent have as much of a chance to get hurt

2. chaningin something now would be stupid

3. next time look up gimmick and tell me what it MEANS

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

I like the DH too, because pitchers are usually having all kinds of trouble making a hit, only very few pitchers are able to make a descent hit. I like the fact they can put in an experienced hitter on DH.

The fact that it keeps your pitchers a little saver is also a big plus.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 duxup

The DH is gimmick and it should be removed. The NL is pure baseball.murlow12

It seems like a gimmick to me too, just a method of giving the guys who can hit but can not play inf the field consistently some more time.  Not every team uses it that way of course but still it seems awfully artificial.  My team is in the AL and I'd rather see them dump the DH.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wavebrid

you know what a gimmick is NO GO LOOK IT UP

rocket9434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rocket9434
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
I really don't see the point of a DH except for a player that does not want to play defense. If the AL got rid of DH's a lot of great players that are DH"s like David Ortiz will produced weaker stats. I like the system as it is. Or another option is that every team bats 10.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wavebrid

I really don't see the point of a DH except for a player that does not want to play defense. If the AL got rid of DH's a lot of great players that are DH"s like David Ortiz will produced weaker stats. I like the system as it is. Or another option is that every team bats 10. rocket9434

if that the case they put him at first base. than late innings just switch...

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 duxup

[QUOTE="rocket9434"]I really don't see the point of a DH except for a player that does not want to play defense. If the AL got rid of DH's a lot of great players that are DH"s like David Ortiz will produced weaker stats. I like the system as it is. Or another option is that every team bats 10. wavebrid

if that the case they put him at first base. than late innings just switch...

Yeah, plenty of AL teams already put their power hitter at 1st base and use the DH for other things.  As it is most teams expect some good hitting production out of their 1st baseman.  There wouldn't be a big exodus of players I don't think, just some adjustments if the DH was eliminated.

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

Most pitchers can't put together an actual swing, and you really want to see more of that.

I mean, the DH is usually a good hitter at least, usually a power hitter too, personally I'd rather see an old DH hit, not a pitcher that has to bunt nearly all the time.

HurricaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HurricaneHugo
Member since 2002 • 40807 Posts
Get rid of the DH.
Avatar image for XxXFaTTxMaTTXxX
XxXFaTTxMaTTXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XxXFaTTxMaTTXxX
Member since 2005 • 1483 Posts
I don't like the idea of DH. In my opinion pitchers should always bat.
Ebeneezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ebeneezer
Member since 2002 • 3453 Posts

This is why I just can't get into watching the AL.  There's no strategy involved.  No double switches or sac bunts.  You don't take into account the pitcher's spot in the lineup, and what player you choose as your pinch hitter. 

But I don't think that the system is going to change anytime soon just because it's been around for a while, and a lot of owners would have to approve of a change.  I don't think many AL team owners would be happy with it.

Smaqaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Smaqaho
Member since 2002 • 2238 Posts

I've never liked the DH rule because it goes against the first objective of baseball (mlb.com):

Official Rules:
1.00 Objectives of the Game

Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wavebrid

I've never liked the DH rule because it goes against the first objective of baseball (mlb.com):

Official Rules:

Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires.

Smaqaho

:? were i see nothing in that

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 duxup
[QUOTE="Smaqaho"]

Official Rules:

wavebrid

A DH means that 10 players on each team play at a time, not 9.

eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts
i HATE the DH.  it irritates me how players like ortiz get to be MVP candidates even though they don't play defensive positions.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
i cant believe so many people hate the fact that the AL has a dh, maybe im spoiled/biased because of david ortiz but seriously pitchers usually dont hit or do anything, why would u want to see that every time they get up??
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
i hate DH so much, it ruins the game.
eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts

i cant believe so many people hate the fact that the AL has a dh, maybe im spoiled/biased because of david ortiz but seriously pitchers usually dont hit or do anything, why would u want to see that every time they get up??BeanTownBrown86

but it's pretty exciting seeing the pitcher rip an unexpected RBI single into the field.  also it gives the AL an unfair advantage over the NL, sure the NL gets to use a DH when they come into an AL park, but they don't have a roster spot specifically filled just for the use of DH. 

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
I hate the DH rule too. The pitcher is a player isn't he? Whatever the case, I think the standard should be the same in both leagues. 
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="Smaqaho"]

Official Rules:

duxup

A DH means that 10 players on each team play at a time, not 9.

all teams have more than 10 players you count bullpen plus bench hitters as well :roll:

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wavebrid

i hate DH so much, it ruins the game. badaboom187

not it dosent

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 duxup

all teams have more than 10 players you count bullpen plus bench hitters as well :roll:

wavebrid

Really? :roll: 

If you're just going to selectively ignore what people are saying and state random facts, don't post.  You know what Smaqaho was getting at.  If you seriously don't, read it again.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

duxup

If you're just going to selectively ignore what people are saying and state random facts, don't post.  You know what Smaqaho was getting at.  If you seriously don't, read it again.

random facts yea alright :| you know your wrong period

i did and dont talk to me like that again if you cant accpet the truth not my problem

Btw i umpire baseball as well so  i know what im talking about also

http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/boards/baseball/message.cfm?id=1902575

they do too.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 duxup
[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

wavebrid

If you're just going to selectively ignore what people are saying and state random facts, don't post. You know what Smaqaho was getting at. If you seriously don't, read it again.

i did and dont talk to me like that again if you cant accpet the truth not my problem

Btw i umpire baseball as well so i know what im talking about also

they do too.

Nobody is arguing that the DH is against the rules.

Did you really think we didn't know people could pinch hit or other pitches could come from the bull pen?

As I read Smaqaho's post I believe he took issue with the DH as you had 10 players playing at the same time, where the rules indicate that 9. A pinch hitter or new pitcher still keeps just 9 players playing at a time.

I guess I could just respond in your way and act like I'm informing you that that pinch hitters and pitchers from the pen actually replace a player and roll my eyes, but you know that.  Just like we know about pinch hitters and pitchers.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

duxup

If you're just going to selectively ignore what people are saying and state random facts, don't post. You know what Smaqaho was getting at. If you seriously don't, read it again.

they do too.

Did you really think we didn't know people could pinch hit or other pitches could come from the bull pen?

As I read Smaqaho's post I believe he took issue with the DH as you had 10 players playing at the same time, where the rules indicate that 9. A pinch hitter or new pitcher still keeps just 9 players playing at a time.

I guess I could just respond in your way and act like I'm informing you that that pinch hitters and pitchers from the pen actually replace a player and roll my eyes, but you know that.  Just like we know about pinch hitters and pitchers.

yes you guys did :|

and let me do this since you guys all have a hard to couting

1.Julio Lugo.650 OPS as #1 batter (199 PA)Coco Crisp (19)2.Kevin Youkilis1.023 OPS as #2 batter (156 PA)Coco Crisp (41)3.David Ortiz1.032 OPS as #3 batter (202 PA)Kevin Youkilis (5)4.Manny Ramirez.739 OPS as #4 batter (196 PA)Wily Mo Pena (4)5.J.D. Drew.680 OPS as #5 batter (157 PA)Kevin Youkilis (27)6.Mike Lowell.963 OPS as #6 batter (177 PA)Jason Varitek (12)7.Jason Varitek.780 OPS as #7 batter (133 PA)Coco Crisp (33)8.Coco Crisp.626 OPS as #8 batter (74 PA)Wily Mo Pena (44)9.Dustin Pedroia

so where is the 10th spot thats right not there :roll:

Zero-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zero-Pirate
Member since 2003 • 2156 Posts
[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="wavebrid"][QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

wavebrid

they do too.

I guess I could just respond in your way and act like I'm informing you that that pinch hitters and pitchers from the pen actually replace a player and roll my eyes, but you know that. Just like we know about pinch hitters and pitchers.

yes you guys did :|

1.Julio Lugo.650 OPS as #1 batter (199 PA)Coco Crisp (19)2.Kevin Youkilis1.023 OPS as #2 batter (156 PA)Coco Crisp (41)3.David Ortiz1.032 OPS as #3 batter (202 PA)Kevin Youkilis (5)4.Manny Ramirez.739 OPS as #4 batter (196 PA)Wily Mo Pena (4)5.J.D. Drew.680 OPS as #5 batter (157 PA)Kevin Youkilis (27)6.Mike Lowell.963 OPS as #6 batter (177 PA)Jason Varitek (12)7.Jason Varitek.780 OPS as #7 batter (133 PA)Coco Crisp (33)8.Coco Crisp.626 OPS as #8 batter (74 PA)Wily Mo Pena (44)9.Dustin Pedroia

so where is the 10th spot thats right not there :roll:

So who's pitching? Coco? Manny? Ortiz?

And I also think they should ditch the DH.  I love seeing pitchers get a suprise RBI!  And laughing at the ones who come up to the plate with a .005 batting average! 

Sora529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Sora529
Member since 2006 • 3755 Posts
I prefer having the DH, but I see no need to change the system.
Smaqaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Smaqaho
Member since 2002 • 2238 Posts

so where is the 10th spot thats right not there :roll:wavebrid

Among the 9 players listed, there is no pitcher. You must only follow tee-ball to forget that a pitcher must be on a team's starting roster.

A starting roster in the NL has 9 players. These 9 players all bat and play defense.

A starting roster in the AL has 10 players. 8 of these 10 players bat and play defense. Of the remaining 2 players, 1 exclusively bats and the other exclusively plays defense.

As is clearly obvious, one of these setups is in accordance with the first objective of baseball and one is not.

For further reading, check out the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter#The_rule

BosoxJoe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BosoxJoe5
Member since 2003 • 251 Posts
I hate how the leagues are now just confernce and are no longer seperate. This is my biggest complaint with Bud. Interleague play, removing league presidents, Move the Brewers to the NL, having back to back Allstar games in the same league, the list goes on. MLB has to much power and league have none.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
All teams should have DHs. Watching pitchers hit is boring and it gives them one more way to get injured.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f3e2de3956ce
deactivated-5f3e2de3956ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f3e2de3956ce
Member since 2004 • 2175 Posts
I prefer the NL because I think they play a better brand of "small ball," and a big part of that is the lack of a DH.  I feel that there should be no need for the DH.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
I think to make the MLB more competitive they should put DH on all teams. it would also make the game funner to watch. Baseball is a dying League, and cares to much about stats to change rules to make the game better , like the NFL.
AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts

Pitchers batting is a waste of time. DH can bring an extra player like David Ortiz to allow more scoring(fan favorite) while saving a tired pitcher from getting hurt.  Low scoring hurts US sports like Soccor and Hockey.

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
There's no need for the DH other than to let former position players on the latter end of the careers choose which team to retire on.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
There's no need for the DH other than to let former position players on the latter end of the careers choose which team to retire on.-Dionysus-
yes and big guys who can't do anything good but can swiong a bat(Ortiz) why you think they call him big papi? you think shaq would play a position if he can hit a home run?
-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Dionysus-

[QUOTE="-Dionysus-"]There's no need for the DH other than to let former position players on the latter end of the careers choose which team to retire on.peacebringer
yes and big guys who can't do anything good but can swiong a bat(Ortiz) why you think they call him big papi? you think shaq would play a position if he can hit a home run?

Exactly, that's not even baseball, it's only one aspect of it. No DH should even be mentioned in MVP voting ever.

Furthermore, name me more than 3 above average pure DH's currently to justify the position? I'll give you Ortiz, Hafner, and Frank Thomas (and he's horrible right now). Every other DH either plays another position now, or played the majority of their career at another position and switched because they're lazy or can't handle the full aspects of baseball anymore.  

EmanSolid117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EmanSolid117
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts
The DH should be in both leagues. Simple. The pitcher batting can sometimes lead in a loss when you need them to come through. What's gonna happen when it's...I don't know the top of the 3rd with the bases loaded and one out? Your gonna let the pitcher try to bring home a run? LOL!!
I personally think having the pitcher bat is a waste BeanTownBrown86
Couldn't agree with you more buuuuuddy.
soundsofsulfur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soundsofsulfur
Member since 2006 • 172 Posts
thats stupid the dh should be eliminated completely. the only good thing that it does is it allows players to extend their career another year or two and also lets players like ortiz not have to play a positiion and then have people talk about how great of a player he is when all he ever has to do is practice batting. until he gets his fata.ss on the field i dont think he should ever even be considered for an mvp
AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts

thats stupid the dh should be eliminated completely. the only good thing that it does is it allows players to extend their career another year or two and also lets players like ortiz not have to play a positiion and then have people talk about how great of a player he is when all he ever has to do is practice batting. until he gets his fata.ss on the field i dont think he should ever even be considered for an mvpsoundsofsulfur

He can play 1st base and does once and a while.

DH = more points, more points = higher ratings.

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Dionysus-

[QUOTE="soundsofsulfur"]thats stupid the dh should be eliminated completely. the only good thing that it does is it allows players to extend their career another year or two and also lets players like ortiz not have to play a positiion and then have people talk about how great of a player he is when all he ever has to do is practice batting. until he gets his fata.ss on the field i dont think he should ever even be considered for an mvpAgileNate

He can play 1st base and does once and a while.

DH = more points, more points = higher ratings.

Do you have any data to back that up?Â