Ortiz not sure if he's taken steroids

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ortizsteroids&prov=st&type=lgns

It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.

---

Ha, you'd think he takes them now, with how big the guy is. At least this isn't a Barry Bonds "unknowingly" taking them or whatever. Your thoughts?

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

If he did that would explain how he gained like 50 pounds when he moved from the Twins to the red sox.

Younger Ortiz

numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 numismatic
Member since 2005 • 775 Posts
what is the big deal with steroids, why don't these atletes take a page out of the average joe's life, eat a lot of fatty foods but turn those fats into muscles by working out.
BosoxJoe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 BosoxJoe5
Member since 2003 • 251 Posts
Ortiz is not jacked. He is chunky ie fat. I believe him that he does not currently use steriods. I dont know whether in the past he knew what he was doing. He was young so who knows. But geesh, I never want to shop at a GNC in the Dominican Republic or have a milk shake.
jeebuscrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jeebuscrust
Member since 2004 • 5571 Posts

If he did that would explain how he gained like 50 pounds when he moved from the Twins to the red sox.

Younger Ortiz

SuperVegeta518

Yeah he looks really skinny in this picture too

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Younger Ortiz

SuperVegeta518

The weight he gained looks more like fat than muscle.

MartinRiggs15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 MartinRiggs15
Member since 2004 • 614 Posts
If Warren Sapp can drop 50 pounds in 3 months, Ortiz can put on that much easily. I think Barry Bonds juices, and shouldn't have his home runs counted for the record.
piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 piper77
Member since 2003 • 2245 Posts
Ortiz is just saying that because the scrutiny of other players like Bonds. He's just trying to stick up for Barry in contrast to what Schilling said about Bonds today. It's a non story.
SHUFFY8490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SHUFFY8490
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and now
piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 piper77
If that's the case, why not say that all these scrawny kids that come out of college and then join the NFL used steroids too?
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"]

Younger Ortiz

UssjTrunks

The weight he gained looks more like fat than muscle.

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
How can you not be sure...you either toke them or not wtf thats ****
Robbie_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 Robbie_IV
Member since 2003 • 23299 Posts

See, this is dumb on his part. Really dumb. I mean, he's not saying that he did use them, but he's not saying that he didn't. So even if he's not, nobody can prove that he did but he can't prove that he didn't. So he's pretty much putting himself under permanent scrutiny here by saying "I ingest or have ingested random substances without checking them."

I get what he's saying, but he.... uh..... said it wrong.

And yeah, people gain weight when they get older. It's when their feet and their head keep growing when they're in their forties that suspicion seems a bit justified.

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
I say we get rid of the whole issue and just make 'riods legal in baseball. I want to see some 212 mph fastballs and guys hitting 300 homers a season.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

well his team might of done it past. here the thing though All players are tested and if Ortiz did take it. it be all of sports news.

Ortiz is just a good guy who plays ball.

plus he cooks :D

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wavebrid

he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and nowSHUFFY8490

oh yea might as well test a-rod and jeter as well :|

dont judge somenoe on how the look.

Steelers_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Steelers_86
Member since 2003 • 2268 Posts

[QUOTE="SHUFFY8490"]he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and nowwavebrid

jeter and a-rod didn't gain an unsightly amount of mass in a suspicious amount of time like bonds or ortiz

jeebuscrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jeebuscrust
Member since 2004 • 5571 Posts

[QUOTE="SHUFFY8490"]he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and nowwavebrid

Should of brought up Clemens and Giambi instead. 

piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 piper77
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="SHUFFY8490"]he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and nowjeebuscrust

and Sheff even though he's on Detriot, everyone knows he did it with his homeboy Giambi.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

How can you not be sure...you either toke them or not wtf thats **** oscar530

He said he took a protein shake in the Dominican Republic that is illegal to take in the US.  He's not sure if there were steroids in it or not. 

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wavebrid
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="SHUFFY8490"]he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and nowSteelers_86

jeter and a-rod didn't gain an unsightly amount of mass in a suspicious amount of time like bonds or ortiz

but his number do suggest it :|

oh whats that thats right

now just plan stop.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wavebrid
[QUOTE="jeebuscrust"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="SHUFFY8490"]he deffinatly took them. look at him when he was in minnesota and nowpiper77

and Sheff even though he's on Detriot, everyone knows he did it with his homeboy Giambi.

its most likey all baseball players have taken steridos before.

but just beacuse numbers suggets it. or is suppeicson it stupid doing that.

period

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

All those unusually big(muscular) players have used(nobody gets that big naturaly), the thing is, the League doesn't care, the commissioner doesn't care(because he could easily get to the truth), that's just the classic additude in baseball, and if you love the game, just don't worry about it so much, because untill the commisioner wants the truth, nobody will get the truth.

By the way, they are testing for 'roids these days right?

tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

Don't talk about Big Papi like that...he's good to tha Bean...but that could be the source of his health issues towards the end of last season...Papi for President...Man Ram for Vice Prez...

Avatar image for schoolisnotkool
schoolisnotkool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 schoolisnotkool
Member since 2004 • 1973 Posts
I'm a huge big papi fan but he needs to just keep his mouth shut and hit the ball, thats it. He doesn't have an opinion, a right to speak his mind, he doesn't do anything except hit the baseball, keep your thoughts to yourself david and everyone will be happy. So next time you decide to try and speak a sentence of english, just do what Manny does and NOT SAY IT AT ALL!