Madden curse, what more proof do you need... give some feedback

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

A lot of people really think that this curse is stupid and don't exist.  Well to all that think this way I ask, how many of these selected Madden cover players does it take to realize that this "curse" could possibly be real?  I used to think the same way until 2002 when Culpepper graced the cover.  After all, a sports injury is almost impossible to avoid for all that play the game.  It can happen to just about anyone.  When the former Vikings QB got injured, I observed in silence, thinking it was just coincidental.  Year after year every athlete that was "honored" to grace the Madden cover after 2002, (the curse started before 2002) suffered an injury or had horrible stats that same or following year.  E George, D Culpepper, M Faulk, M Vick, R Lewis, D McNabb, and S Alexander.  That's more than 5 players.  Was it a part of opposing defenses' gameplan (obviously except for R Lewis) to go after these players by any means necessary because they graced the cover?  I don't think so.  Many of you thought it was hilarious when SD fans organized an online petition to prevent their favorite player and NFL MVP L Tomlinson from gracing the cover.  While others thought "Why would they choose a rookie QB who hasn't done much of anything yet?"  Do you honestly believe that V Young was their first choice?  Think about it.  All of the previous players who graced the Madden cover had stellar seasons, ability, or broke an NFL record.  With that said, of course L Tomlinson was their first choice since he broke S Alexander's rushing TD record.  You can argue that the SD fans succeeded with their online petition but then again, maybe LT declined like a smart player who took notice would.  Hey, LT could end up getting injured this season.  As mentioned, injuries can't be avoided.  But, the curse does exist.  I will stop believing in it if Vince Young becomes the first player to stay healthy for at least 15 games or have an average season. 

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts
my god for sumtin that long paragraphs would be cool
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts
i believe in the curse but eddie gorge had career best stats,and he was a titan.so young has a chance
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
Eddie George is the only exception. He missed the last game, but he had a stellar season.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I believe in the curse that it has 2 effects, it hurts your performance that year(in terms of injuries or just stats) or it eventually begins a downfall in your career.

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

I think Vince'll be fine, I mean he's Vince Young!!

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mazing87

His yards per carry dropped drastically.  He's not a Titan anymore. 

Eddie George is the only exception. He missed the last game, but he had a stellar season.dkhw

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
How about some evidence of cause and effect? Instead of just the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy?

All these "curses" are just constant conjunction. Hume said you don't have evidence that the thing came before CAUSED the thing that came after, you just have evidence that it came before.
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts

Simple solution to the problem- put the Madden curse on the cover!! How come they didn't think of that?? :o

Meaning the curse WILL be cursed by itself and... lol nvm

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mazing87

They should put Madden back on the cover...

So no players would have to worry about the inevitable curse. 

Simple solution to the problem- put the Madden curse on the cover!! How come they didn't think of that?? :o

Meaning the curse WILL be cursed by itself and... lol nvm

TheDarkDisciple
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
What I want to know is: if the Madden curse is real(which I'm not saying it is) then who the hell cursed it? Curses are done by somebody. Did someone get ticked they didn't get the cover? Disgruntled EA employee? 989 sports?
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mazing87

Who knows.

Who was the first to grace the cover?  I know there were two players that were in the background of one madden.  Barry Sanders was in the background of another version (which probably prompt him to retire, who knows). 

What I want to know is: if the Madden curse is real(which I'm not saying it is) then who the hell cursed it? Curses are done by somebody. Did someone get ticked they didn't get the cover? Disgruntled EA employee? 989 sports?Eman5805

Avatar image for 206461861543079188321160707076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 206461861543079188321160707076
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts
I dont see how Eddie George or Ray Lewis were affected by it.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mazing87

Oh yea, so where is Eddie George now?  What was his yard per carry after gracing the cover?  Ray Lewis isn't the same defender since his injury.  You can say he's getting old but he was a consistent tackler avg at least 100 solo tackles.  He's still a great lineback but he's blockable now. 

I dont see how Eddie George or Ray Lewis were affected by it.Joelo8112002

Ernice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Ernice
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts

up to this day, after all these years, i still dont believe in this madden curse nonsense.

seriously, theres no such thing as curses

but to be fair to those who think it is real, fine, lets put it this way, if Vince Young gets injured before or on the 10th game of the season. then i will conclude that the curse is real. i'm not really interested in a drop in stats or performance, that is not a curse at all, and considering that Vince Young is only into his 2nd year, you cant really tell if he has deproved from last year.

but any after the 10th game, then i'm not buying it. how bout that ? you can all feel free to private message me when it happens. i'm alright with it. a deal is a deal.

but please note, a sprained ankle isnt an injury worth claiming its real for. needs to be something substantial. like... season ending, or puts him out for 10 games or more. but no, being NOT first choice QB doesnt count as well. cos i wont be surprised if he didnt start as QB for the titans. he's still a rookie actually.

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

What I want to know is: if the Madden curse is real(which I'm not saying it is) then who the hell cursed it? Curses are done by somebody. Did someone get ticked they didn't get the cover? Disgruntled EA employee? 989 sports?Eman5805

Maybe it's like in the movie "the Grudge", a terrible crime has been commited on the cover, and now the spirits want retribution.