Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Rasgueado
Member since 2005 • 356 Posts
While I won't dispute the actual quality of the bassline that is in Paperboy, I would at least like to suggest that it might not be the absolute "sickest" bass in all of gaming history. Of course something like this is fairly subjective (and I would invite anyone else to make other suggestions) but I would strongly suggest that the sickest *original* bass in gaming history belongs to the Interstate '76 soundtrack. They went the extra mile to make the music recorded for the game sound like it came from a 70's television show that Quincy Jones worked on. Awesome stuff. Edit: After posting this message I went on a search to find my I'76 cd and was unable to find it. Funnily enough, I gave a copy to a friend of mine awhile back that plays the trombone, and he happened to re-arrange some of the main set pieces into a medly for a larger funk band. This was something I didn't actually know about until I did a google search for "Interstate '76 soundtrack." Funny how life sometimes gives you what you want. =) You can hear it here if you click that link and select "Suite of '76" from the menu to hear the band play it live.
Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Jeff
Member since 2002 • 4005 Posts
Maybe we need a feature on "Gaming's Sickest Basslines" or something. The internal dispute we had is that someone said that the 1-2 music from Super Mario Bros. was better. I was all "naw, dude." Paperboy. It gets no sicker. Anyone else have any suggestions for hot basslines that would make this list? Here's my other contribution: Moon Patrol!
Avatar image for deactivated-60c1dfa59ebf3
deactivated-60c1dfa59ebf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-60c1dfa59ebf3
Member since 2005 • 1446 Posts
Bullitt Theme.

That's all I have to say.
Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rasgueado
Maybe we need a feature on "Gaming's Sickest Basslines" or something. The internal dispute we had is that someone said that the 1-2 music from Super Mario Bros. was better. I was all "naw, dude."Jeff
Well I can help you with your internal dispute at least. It's my personal belief that the bassline from 1-2 wasn't actually original to Super Mario Bros. If you head to this link and click on the windows media soundclip for the song River People you'll hear something that is very very familiar. The live recording--from the group Weather Report-- was made in 1976 and the tune was officially released on the album Mr.Gone that was put out in 1978. So... hopefully that helps with your internal dispute. =)
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ryan
Member since 2002 • 1119 Posts
The 1-2 music is boring if you ask me. The sickest Mario-related bassline is clearly from the pause screen in Super Mario Bros. 2.
AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 AaronThomas
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
The song in that link is pretty close, but they're certainly not the similar to the point that one could say the 1-2 theme isn't original. It was an interesting listen though.
Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rasgueado
The song in that link is pretty close, but they're certainly not the similar to the point that one could say the 1-2 theme isn't original. It was an interesting listen though.AaronThomas
Well... no. They aren't exact, but it's a pretty clear derangement of the main motive (So much so that every musician that I know that has heard that tune all feel the same way. Trust me... we jam and derange mario bros. *all* the time =) ). That's just the intro section though, you can hear a bit more of it in different parts of the tune. Weather Report was pretty big in Japan... I would honestly be surprised to find out if the inspiration for 1-2 didn't come from River People (and I mean... it's not such a bad thing to steal a little bit from Joe Zawinul and Jaco Pastorious =) ).
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts
The 1-2 music is boring if you ask me. The sickest Mario-related bassline is clearly from the pause screen in Super Mario Bros. 2.Ryan
I have to agree.....that bassline shall go down as the sickest of them all.
vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 vgmkyle
Member since 2004 • 8689 Posts
Paper Boy's Audio is terrible. The boy sounds like hes talking in a mic.
Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rasgueado
Actually... I have another addition I want to enter into this little circle of awesome game basslines. I officially want to nominate Police Quest 3 and it's midi soundtrack provided by the great Jan Hammer (Probably most widely famous for doing the Miami Vice music... but is also a fantastic improvisor and uber mini-moog player).

Edit: Funnily enough you can get mp3 versions of the midi files from that soundtrack right here. If you want to hear more and have something that can feed back some decent sounds through midi you can get those here