TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Putting it on "Rookie" just made it so my guys miss more, and die more often. It wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't so pressing with that damn "Avatar" project that I have no idea how to stop. Getting resources and troops is impossible:

Not enough supplies

Not enough alien corpses

Not enough Alloys

Not enough Minerals!!!

Edit: it's a GREAT game just a big challenge.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#2 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Every Xcom game is a challenge. I've always felt the resources were limited, hit percentage is dependent on position, and the Exalt stuff was a pain in the previous game. I think that's part of the appeal though, bad things are gonna happen no matter what, it's a matter of figuring out the best areas to pour those finite resources into.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

XCOM is not just hard, it is punishing.

I love it. But I do not like the Avatar timer; I don't mind a challenge, but I want to do it at my pace.

Thank god I can mod it on PC to either slow down or remove the timer.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I have yet to check out the newest game, but yes punishing is the correct word. What I did like about the previous Xcom game was you could kind of take your time, but even if you did that the difficulty of the missions ramps up so it does kind of push you forward.

If you misuse resources or soldiers in the field, you can quickly find yourself being completely out of options. I also love that about the series; even when you plan everything out perfectly, one missed shot can change everything for the worst.

KK_Slider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KK_Slider
Member since 2016 • 62 Posts

It's not that bad, but you gotta have patience because you'll have to re-do missions.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

@Blueresident87: haha yup! people under the impression that you can win unconditionally in this game are in for a rude awakening.

Every investment you make steals resources from something else. Every soldier you've invested hours upon hours in can die in a second.

I love it. They don't make many games as difficult, and as rewarding, as XCOM. And it's a worthy difficulty, it's not like "Oh this boss has a billion hit points" difficult, it's strategically difficult.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

I've only done XCOM 2 successfully once so far, pretty sure I was on classic / ironman. It's definitely no cakewalk but I found it to be a refreshing challenge. Should replay it since I stupidly bought the season pass just to try the DLC but none of the DLC looks good to me.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

You've clearly never played Super Meat Boy...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Putting it on "Rookie" just made it so my guys miss more, and die more often. It wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't so pressing with that damn "Avatar" project that I have no idea how to stop. Getting resources and troops is impossible:

Not enough supplies

Not enough alien corpses

Not enough Alloys

Not enough Minerals!!!

Edit: it's a GREAT game just a big challenge.

Awww, poor you

But a challenge is good, so just keep at the game and remember the feeling when you finally do complete the game.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Eh, reload the map. Since it's random (or procedural can't remember), you can get maps the are WAY harder than others. It's really a design flaw of the game.

Once you figure the best strategies, the game becomes much easier (i.e. beeline for the best weapons and armor). You also have to pick the OP skills for upgrades for your people, some are much, much better than others (although X-Com 2 is better balanced the 1 in that regard).

Also, because of the injury system, the game gets a lot easier once you have a lot a lot of upgraded guys that can rotate in for the injured ones.

Keep trying! X-com is very much about trial and error if you are new to the series. You may want to start a new game if you had too many people die early on.

Warlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Warlag
Member since 2016 • 16 Posts

A lot of people are talking about how hard this game is. I'm dying to play it myself

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@TheHighWind: Git gud.

But seriously, those games are crazy hard. They've been extremely difficult going all the way back to the original series. I'm happy that they didn't tone down the difficulty (much) for the modern X-Com games.

-Byshop

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yeah they are hard but that makes them fun and rewarding as well. Every death hits hard. Much harder than story driven games even.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2313 Posts

Im doin ironman on rookie for my first playthrough. I did normal difficulty first but got my ass kicked due to xcom 2 being a different beast than EU. So far, its been pretty smooth, pretty stressful, definitely GOTY for me

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#15 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@TheHighWind: I think the challenging difficulty is part of it's charm. It's not a game you are supposed to finish the first playtrough. It's one of those rare titles i keep installed at all times.