Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Question.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insinuendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 insinuendo
Member since 2005 • 3734 Posts

Why exactly can't the Xbox One not play '360 games? I know they have different architecture, but wasn't it the same case with the Xbox and '360? I remember reading that the '360 used an Emulator to play original Xbox titles. Why can't the Xbox One do the same?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Well, let me borrow Don Mattrick's exact words:
"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"Don Mattrick
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
New software sales are how the companies make their money. Perhaps there will eventually be some kind of software to allow 360 games to be played on it, but it's not where they want gamers to put their focus. It also sounds like the PS4 will be the same situation. For me, backward-compatibility is/has been a nice bonus the last few generations, but it's not why I get a new system.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="Stinger78"]New software sales are how the companies make their money. Perhaps there will eventually be some kind of software to allow 360 games to be played on it, but it's not where they want gamers to put their focus. It also sounds like the PS4 will be the same situation. For me, backward-compatibility is/has been a nice bonus the last few generations, but it's not why I get a new system.

It may not be the reason to buy a new system, but lack of it is definitely a strong reason NOT to get a new system. Especially in its early cycle.
insinuendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 insinuendo
Member since 2005 • 3734 Posts

So it seems it's a matter of won't rather than can't. Makes sence. 

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

So it seems it's a matter of won't rather than can't. Makes sence. 

insinuendo
They could but it would cost them (therefore you) more money. I guess they just decided that it wasn't worth the higher price.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

Simple.

PPC core CPU in 360.

x86 CPU in the X1

Xbox 1 can't emulate it. Microsoft didn't add the chip. And....they want you to buy new games and games on XBLA.

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

So.....do you just sell off all your old systems once a new one comes out? Why buy a new system to play old games on? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to not get a system based on it not being backwards compatible. Most Xbox games didn't play on the 360. NES games didn't play on SNES, and many other systems didn't have backwards compatability. Only Sony had the fully backwards compatible systems, Microsoft never did. Would you skip on buying a new car if your old car keys didn't work on it?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

So.....do you just sell off all your old systems once a new one comes out? Why buy a new system to play old games on?

driftingsilvia

Eh, it just makes things more convenient. Lately I've really appreciated the PS2's BC because I've been going back through old PS1 RPGs and it's nice to not have to dig out my PS1 to play them. (I'm not even sure I know where my PS1 is)

People who act like lack of BC is a dealbreaker are overreacting, though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

[QUOTE="driftingsilvia"]

So.....do you just sell off all your old systems once a new one comes out? Why buy a new system to play old games on?

JML897

Eh, it just makes things more convenient. Lately I've really appreciated the PS2's BC because I've been going back through old PS1 RPGs and it's nice to not have to dig out my PS1 to play them. (I'm not even sure I know where my PS1 is)

People who act like lack of BC is a dealbreaker are overreacting, though.

I always use the PS2 for PS1 games. Don't even have the PS1 connected to the TV.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

The jump from Power PC to x86 makes hardware emulation impossible, without actually putting a 360 into the One (which is what Sony initially did with the PS3).  Software emulation is often tricky.  The 360 could emulate certain Xbox games, but as I recall, it was a slow process building emulators and ultimately, it wasn't worth the time or money they were dedicating to getting Xbox games running on the 360. 

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Well, let me borrow Don Mattrick's exact words: [quote="Don Mattrick"]"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"funsohng

Don's a toad, but this is an area I happen to agree with him on. They have way bigger fish to fry than worrying about backwards compatibility. 

LOVE YOUR SIG BTW -- best new show on television.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

The Xbox One doesn't carry the 360's architecture, which would be necessary for backward compatibility. Software emulation might be an option still, if we're lucky (like, really, really lucky), but I wouldn't count on it.

Also: please use one of the many existing Xbone threads for now. Trying to keep the board from being overtaken by these kinds of threads.