Xbox disc tray won't open.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

qu1nlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 qu1nlan
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

So, I have an original Xbox. I've had this problem for as long as I've owned it, where if there's no game in the tray, the tray won't open (when I press the open button, it just makes the whirring noise, and I can tell that it's trying to open, but it won't). Basically, this isn't a problem if I just never leave the tray empty. But unfortunately, I accidentally closed it last week with no disk in the tray. In the past when this has happened, I've just been able to fix it by persistantly pressing the open button a few dozen times, and eventually it would finally open. But I swear I've been doing it over a period of weeks, hundreds of times, to no avail. Does anybody know how I can fix this problem?

perphekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 perphekt
Member since 2009 • 1096 Posts
You might want to yahoo.answer it or something. Look it up through a search engine, just type in your problem and I'm sure there will be plenty of other people with the same problem. My 360 used to do that, though I never had that problem with my original Xbox. But with the 360, like you said, I just kept doing it over and over again. I fixed the problem by turning it off, unplugging it completely from everything else and just letting it sit for a long period of time, about 20 minutes or so. I went back to it and it opened. I'm not sure if that will help any with the original Box, but you could try that. Otherwise, just google the problem. More than likely if it won't open they'll tell you to open it up and fiddle with the tray from the inside. Either that, or say it's a lost cause. :/
VirtualAntics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 VirtualAntics
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts

I have that problem with my console sometimes.

The disc tray has probably been knocked slightly (while in the open position) at some point. It'll be out of sync with the small rollers inside.

When the wheels get stuck, I just put a finger on the outside of the tray, and move left/right/up and down to shift it. Eventually, (sometimes straight away) it unsticks, and it's fine after that.

kuabarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kuabarra
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts

My xbox did that many times.... I simply gace it a "gentle" fist right over the dvd drive while it was trying to open, and presto! It worked every time, lol.

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I got my Xbox from my brother in law it does this and many other things but hey it gets the job done anyways just hit it is what he said to do and so far for me and him it has seemed to work without ever damaging the system

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#6 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts
The tray is out of alignment as was mentioned above, you can fix it yourself unless you broke one of the pieces. Even if you did a replacement DVD drive for the Xbox is pretty reasonable on eBay.