WWE has ordered Chirs Benoit to be removed from SVR 08. Your thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Del_The_Prophet
Del_The_Prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Del_The_Prophet
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts
Well, the WWE is at it again. In an effort to to remove any knowledge or link between Chris Benoit and the WWE, Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that WWE has made game developers remove WWE wrestler Chris Benoit from the new SVR 08 slated to release this fall. As you may already know, police reports state Chris Benoit killed his wife and son prior to committing suicide himself last month. Since this event has transpired, the WWE has done their best to cut any ties to Benoit, including removing any mention of his name from their website, WWE.com, and now this. What are your thoughts? Is this yet another example of censorship in America? Or is the WWE right for removing a murderer/psychopath from their game?
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
I hardly think removing someone involved in a murder-suicide can be considered "censorship". Even for alternative reasons, it would be licensing issues and not censorship.
snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

I hardly think removing someone involved in a murder-suicide can be considered "censorship". Even for alternative reasons, it would be licensing issues and not censorship.yodariquo

Seriously, I mean come on! He drugged and killed his son and killed his wife. He has no place in a game.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Frankly, good riddens. No murderer should be popularized and I would find it in VERY poor taste to keep him in there.
jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts

People should give him the benefit of the doubt, reports have said he was drugged by his manager (steriods) this could of lead to his rage. Chris Benoit is one of my favourite wrestlers and he has lead a great professional career and entertained us during ECW, WWF, & WWE.

R.I.P Chris Benoit

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

I lol'd when the WWE web site had a big 'in memoriam' sort of page right after Benoit died, and then took it down and left no mention of him as soon as they found out it was a murder-suicide.

And back on topic, I would have been more surprised had they not removed him from the games...

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

People should give him the benefit of the doubt, reports have said he was drugged by his manager (steriods) this could of lead to his rage. Chris Benoit is one of my favourite wrestlers and he has lead a great professional career and entertained us during ECW, WWF, & WWE.

R.I.P Chris Benoit

jus2nyce

Dude, you don't drug and hang your family and then yourself from roid rage. He already had mental problems. It was his fault, not the drugs. Just like when a crazy dude blames video games for when he kills somebody, I refuse to believe that it isn't his fault when he murders his family.

But back on topic, I see this no differently than if they removed an interview with Jeffery Dhamer in a documentary about the chocolate industry. When somebody turns out the be a psychopath or murderer or something, that becomes the way everybody identifies him, not for whatever other accomplishments they had.

staticX_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 staticX_12
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Figures WWE would do that they didn't do it to Kurt Angle in last year's game when he was in TNA.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
i don't have a problem with them removing him from the game. it's not like he's being removed because he's an outspoken critic or has just done something unethical. If it was just that I'd say keep him in. But he killed his family and then himself. And to make matters worse wasn't his kid 5 years old and autistic? Unforgivable.
InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts
Figures WWE would do that they didn't do it to Kurt Angle in last year's game when he was in TNA.staticX_12

Kurt Angle also didn't drug and kill his wife and child, then hang himself.
SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

Chris Benoit is one of my favourite wrestlers and he has lead a great professional career and entertained us during ECW, WWF, & WWE.

R.I.P Chris Benoit

Bias. Open your eyes and see what he did.

jus2nyce
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
I think the WWE is right to remove him. The guy brutally murdered his wife and his 8 year old son, I doubt anyone wants to be reminded of that everytime they play the game.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

R.I.P Chris Benoit

jus2nyce
RIP Chris Benoit's wife and son, but he can rot in hell.
m3ss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 m3ss
Member since 2004 • 1163 Posts

R.I.P Chris Benoit

jus2nyce

This statement is completely inaccurate. A person who succumbs to "roid rage" does not drug and strangle his family, hang around with their dead bodies in the house for a few days, and then off himself. "Roid rage" is personified by quick and unprovoked outbursts and acts of violence. There was obviously something very wrong with Chris. It takes a very disturbed individual to do something like this, and steroids is just another scapegoat people are using. There is no one thing a person can point to as a cause for this type of heinous act.

And as for giving him respect and the "benefit of the doubt", I'm sorry, but just because someone has "entertained" me doesn't give him a get out of jail free card. Hitler did a lot of great things for Germany before he went mental and invaded Poland starting WWII (a lot more important and worthwhile things than entertaining people with wrestling, that's for sure), but that doesn't mean we should praise him for it.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts

Figures WWE would do that they didn't do it to Kurt Angle in last year's game when he was in TNA.staticX_12

Dude Angle didn't muder his wife and kid and plus that doesn't make sense.

GoPhins123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 GoPhins123
Member since 2005 • 3655 Posts
He killed his wife and son, he should not be in the game, its that simple.
--Wolf--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 --Wolf--
Member since 2004 • 6786 Posts
Is putting him in a game really the best way to remember him? Do you really want to play as a dead man / murder? No.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

[QUOTE="yodariquo"]I hardly think removing someone involved in a murder-suicide can be considered "censorship". Even for alternative reasons, it would be licensing issues and not censorship.snackdaddy

Seriously, I mean come on! He drugged and killed his son and killed his wife. He has no place in a game.

Completely agreed. Get him out of there.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I agree with the majority of the posts here. He should not be in the game.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
I hate WWE honestly. Fake entertainment isn't that entertaining. He was a steroid addicted murderer. I don't want his face in my industry.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Is putting him in a game really the best way to remember him? Do you really want to play as a dead man / murder? No.--Wolf--

Hold on a second here... Who DOESN'T have a Hitler Mii?

hecklemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hecklemonkey
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts

I think it's awful that the WWE should have so little respect for the great work he put into the company up until his death that they would try to completely erase him from memory.

Of course, from a business point of view, the whole situation seriously tarnished the image/reputation of the company and could have a negative long term impact on their revenue, so I can understand why they would want to bury this asap.

JReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JReader
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think it's BS that they are taking him out of the game, he might have done all that stuff but he is still was a member of the organisation
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bunchofpixels
I hate WWE honestly. Fake entertainment isn't that entertaining. He was a steroid addicted murderer. I don't want his face in my industry.musicXpirate
What is fake entertainment? Like videogames?
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bunchofpixels
I think it's BS that they are taking him out of the game, he might have done all that stuff but he is still was a member of the organisation JReader
WAS is the key word in that sentence.
Jonas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jonas_81
Member since 2004 • 6671 Posts
Fake entertainment isn't that entertaining. ´musicXpirate
Fake entertainment like videogames?
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

[QUOTE="musicXpirate"]Fake entertainment isn't that entertaining. ´Jonas_81

No dude, wresting is acting incase you didn't know that by now. It'll all an act to get paid.

Jonas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jonas_81
Member since 2004 • 6671 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonas_81"][QUOTE="musicXpirate"]Fake entertainment isn't that entertaining. ´musicXpirate

No dude, wresting is acting incase you didn't know that by now. It'll all an act to get paid.

Wow, what a revelation. It probably took you a few years to work that out. And what a great way to miss my point. Yes, wrestling is fake. So is movies. Video games. TV series. Almost all forms of entertainment are fake. Doesn't stop them from being entertaining and maybe *snaps fingers* people just want to be entertained by it.
DXMember3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DXMember3
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts

Dude you don't know what Chris Benoit was able to accomplish in the WWE! He is practiclly a legend!

ateace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 ateace3
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts
who would want to play as him anyways? i think it would have cause some controversey if they had left him in the game.
TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

DXMember3

Dude you don't know what Chris Benoit was able to accomplish in the WWE! He is practiclly a legend!

Even his peers, such as Chris Jericho and the like, have admitted that while his wrestling career was great, his final moments of his life overshadows EVERYTHING! It doesn't matter how good a wrestler he was, he KILLED his FAMILY! So what if Kurt Angle went to TNA and they left him in last year's game? That's not even comparable at all! Kurt Angle didn't KILL his FAMILY! And to the guy saying "give him the benefit of the doubt", **** that. Even if he was under the influence of something else, there is NO, and I mean absolutely NO excuse to kill your family. Seriously, I swear to y'all I'm the biggest Benoit fan here, and I probably took the news of this tragedy harder than anyone here, yet y'all are acting like immature little children about this guy. It would be stupid if WWE didn't take him out of the game. I just can't understand how y'all can't understand why the WWE is erasing him from their video games and television and whatnot. Seriously, realize what he did, accept it, and GROW UP!

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonas_81"][QUOTE="musicXpirate"]Fake entertainment isn't that entertaining. ´musicXpirate

oh, in that case, fake entertainment like movies and tv?

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
yes chris benoit should be remove sv game.
Avatar image for wookieeassassin
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wookieeassassin
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts
well I mean he is dead.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#40 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
they should take him out of SVR 08 and put him in Manhunt 2
wmg1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#41 wmg1299
Member since 2005 • 1154 Posts
I see nothing wrong with removing Benoit from the game. There is no reason to continue to glorify him. His contribution to wrestling is clearly over. I don't see anyone complaining that O.J. Simpson isn't in Madden 2008.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well, either way he's not part of WWE anymore. Removing him will make the roster current. Not a big deal if he stayed in, IMO.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#43 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

He didn't murder his wife and kids and commit suicide. He just sucked. Big difference between being non charismatic and being a murderer.

While some games glorifiy murder and killing, they take place in the virtual world. Mr. Benoit did his killings in the real world where people stay dead. There's no 1up for his wife and kid...

dreamachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dreamachine
Member since 2003 • 2071 Posts
considering what he did it's justified... same reason OJ isn't being included in some football games (though we all know OJ was found not guilty, but everyone still thinks he did it)