why would the game company care if you mod a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for nuclearwinter85
nuclearwinter85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nuclearwinter85
Member since 2010 • 1575 Posts

i mean you've already bought it and they got the profit from your purchase so why do they care?

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

they care because it meses with ther stuff

sXeEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sXeEcho
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
because of the copyright if you mod a game its like free DLC in a way,they want your money....and they dont want you to mod online because it makes the game unfair.
krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
They don't...That's why they make Modding tools, to make it easier for you to mod..
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

They don't...That's why they make Modding tools, to make it easier for you to mod..krazy-blazer

Tell that to IW who took out the capabilty of modding MW2, so that they can charge you for **** maps.

SoF-Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoF-Rambo
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

Well if you change a certain code string for MW2, it will re-activate it's inner MW1ness, but I believe you will need a hacked EXE for it.

Not sure, going by what I see on Hacker sites.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

[QUOTE="krazy-blazer"]They don't...That's why they make Modding tools, to make it easier for you to mod..morrowindnic

Tell that to IW who took out the capabilty of modding MW2, so that they can charge you for **** maps.

Yep, that's the money-making scheme.

However, companies like Valve, id, Epic, etc want you to mod their games. It gives a game longevity, and adds value to the game the longer it's out.

Counter Strike is still popular, but I doubt it'd be where it is without the modding community behind it. I used to LOOOOOOOOOOVE the surf, and kz climbing maps. So much fun, and there was quite a community within these mods. I'd play for hours just climbing around a map with some friends, or surfing and trying to beat people in races. So much fun.

Anyone who doesn't want you to mod their games is probably planning to milk you later for $10-$15 on some DLC. Infinity Ward for example, as already stated.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

mainly copyright

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Singleplayer? They dont, mp? they dont care either as long as its not any induvidual changes that apply only on you.
Avatar image for A_Falcies_Fancy
A_Falcies_Fancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 A_Falcies_Fancy
Member since 2010 • 326 Posts

[QUOTE="morrowindnic"]

[QUOTE="krazy-blazer"]They don't...That's why they make Modding tools, to make it easier for you to mod..treedoor

Yep, that's the money-making scheme.

However, companies like Valve, id, Epic, etc want you to mod their games. It gives a game longevity, and adds value to the game the longer it's out.

Counter Strike is still popular, but I doubt it'd be where it is without the modding community behind it. I used to LOOOOOOOOOOVE the surf, and kz climbing maps. So much fun, and there was quite a community within these mods. I'd play for hours just climbing around a map with some friends, or surfing and trying to beat people in races. So much fun.

Anyone who doesn't want you to mod their games is probably planning to milk you later for $10-$15 on some DLC. Infinity Ward for example, as already stated.

I was going to mention Valve as a prime example of HUGE support for the mod community but you beat me to it. It really shows if a company is committed more to the game and its followers, or to the almighty dollar. Guess which one ActiBilizzard is addicted to?
dante5395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dante5395
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

copy right but......