Why does FIFA have exclusive rights to Premier League?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

Was thinking of finally buying a sports game on PS4 for the first time in a decade and I am really interested in PES 2020 due to positive word of mouth PES19 created. But then I heard it will not feature Chelsea FC name, logo and kit and needs to download an unofficial patch for those. And I heard people actually charges for those patch.

Really am torn, been wanting to get back into the sports game but definitely not gonna give EA my money.

*sidestory: usually I just pirate EA FIFA and PES on pc each year cause well, its EA, you dont give money to EA but have not done it since 2014.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Not trying to poke blame but always found soccer fans to be an issue for the gaming industry overall. And it continues to get worse.

Seeing as they support mediocre games that have dozens of editions (of the exact same game) as well the biggest cesspool of micro-transactions in gaming. Even dwarfing the mobile industry. Really it's a fanbase knowing it's buying garbage every year, and pay extra because they just have money to burn_

Adding they're solely responsible for why EA never learns and gets with the times. They continue to get away with terrible business practices, because of the loyal soccer fandom putting (billions) into EAs pocket.

Thanks soccer fans.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3489 Posts

You can get free unofficial patches for PES2020, 100% certain. Never heard of paying for unofficial patches, maybe they are better quality?

If you want the full package, get PES2020, you can upload unofficial patches to complete the set. You can't do that with FIFA20 on the PS4.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sakaiXx

@RSM-HQ said:

Not trying to poke blame but always found soccer fans to be an issue for the gaming industry overall. And it continues to get worse.

Seeing as they support mediocre games that have dozens of editions (of the exact same game) as well the biggest cesspool of micro-transactions in gaming. Even dwarfing the mobile industry. Really it's a fanbase knowing it's buying garbage every year, and pay extra because they just have money to burn_

Adding they're solely responsible for why EA never learns and gets with the times. They continue to get away with terrible business practices, because of the loyal soccer fandom putting (billions) into EAs pocket.

Thanks soccer fans.

You are right on everything. But you know why people actually buys football(soccer) game every year? Cause 1 game can sustain for the whole year, you dont need to buy another game and you certainly dont need to pay anything to get the best out of football game.

Its personally an even bigger crack than those nintendo games everyone claims it is. The content in a football game easily dwarf many games releases, in every year. The modes, especially manager mode which is always my fav alone can last hundreds of hours. I mean Leading Port Vale from super low 4th tier league to premier league glory is always a goal of mine. Or making sure my fav club Chelsea FC wins 5 straight champions League and invincible each season is such a gratifying experience.

Another thing that made football games so appealing is if you are a football fan, its easily the most entertaining game to play. Imagine leading your club to a treble (Champions league, premier league, domestic cup), you dont always see it in real life but you certainly can create that story in a football game. I mean anyone supporting Arsenal FC is such a painful experience in real life.

Lastly, online and multiplayer mode. This mode makes you extremely competitive like really more than any monster hunter game could. Back in my college years everyday we play PES or fifa and in weekends we have this mini 6-16 people local multiplayer tournaments. Getting battered 6-0 by rival club and learning different strategies how to gitgud is the kind of motivation only competitive game can achieve. Also online mode? Dude online league is awesome as heck! You can do everything but now against worldwide opponent!

Admittedly Ultimate Team is why people have bad perceptions of sports game. The only next step in a sports game is to play with a randomized players battling against others for a league win. That in itself is addicting as heck, but when dev includes mtx stuff like player only available at certain time, gold players harder to earn etc it just makes people get even extra competitive and spend money to compete. Dont worry you can play without paying anything like I did, the grind is just a lot longer or, gitgud and win every game.

TL:DR Football games is amazing and have more content than many games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sakaiXx

@omegamaster said:

You can get free unofficial patches for PES2020, 100% certain. Never heard of paying for unofficial patches, maybe they are better quality?

If you want the full package, get PES2020, you can upload unofficial patches to complete the set. You can't do that with FIFA20 on the PS4.

Its actually a thriving market. People spent their time to edit kits, logo etc so they want some monetary compensation for their work. Its actually not much some guy charges $5 but it does go up to $20 sometimes. Lately they have been crafty 1 league kits cost $5. Its good work on their part usually it comes out great but feels like I am buying dlc.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

You know why people actually buys football(soccer) game every year? Cause 1 game can sustain for the whole year, you dont need to buy another game and you certainly dont need to pay anything to get the best out of football game.

Factually wrong. I know enough soccer fans who are upset how much you have to pay to get the most out each entry. Many of these friends caught on to this and no longer invest in these terrible games. I've even tried competitve play on a few and the gameplay is awful. I can see why they call them 'simulators' and not games. . .

Many games offer at least a years worth of content, give or take. At a cheaper overall cost, and this magical thing called 'quality gameplay'. The list people could write would be plentiful. Soccer fans just don't look elsewhere. They tend to have a very shallow perspective and don't care for anything outside the sport_

The real reason people buy Fifa is because they support soccer as the sport and want a 'game' simulator that supports what they like. It's no real difference to wrestling fans who buy those terrible WWE games every year. Which also review like garbage.

To be honest I think soccer fans know these games are trash, that's why they never bring them up in gaming forums. It's a secret shame.

Its personally an even bigger crack than those nintendo games everyone claims it is.

Yeah, no. . Very delusional opinion dood.

Those Nintendo games are fundamentally great (or at least good), whether as games like Fifa are made for the most casual of gamers and basically play themselves. That's a huge difference between one and the other.

Fifa you pay for cosmetics entirely every year. Nintendo do also sometimes, and keep the core too similar but usually do enough to justify a new entry. Even though I wish they used more than Mario and Zelda sometimes_

I mean let's compare Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Odyssey. Then let's compare Fifa 07 to Fifa 19. It's night and day. The Fifa games just pump out the same trash for soccer fans who'll eat the same trash.

Football games is amazing and have more content than many games.

Fifa games are as amazing as Command and Conqueror mobile (nope) And more doesn't mean better. No Man Sky already showed us that. As did Daggerfall back in retro times_

Soccer gamers accept any garbage thrown at them. And praise it. The reason EA is still around in the way they are

Otherwise, without Fifa and official soccer licences they would have had to at least re evaluate the gaming market. But because soccer fans have no sense of quality for the majority. EA will learn nothing for the foreseeable future.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Factually wrong. I know enough soccer fans who are upset how much you have to pay to get the most out each entry. Many of these friends caught on to this and no longer invest in these terrible games. I've even tried competitve play on a few and the gameplay is awful. I can see why they call them 'simulators' and not games. . .

It's quite possibly the worst scam in gaming: spend hundreds of dollars to build a competitive team, then start over the next year because nothing carries over to the next game. And you can't simply keep playing last year's game either, because everyone switches over to the new one, including your friends, so you kinda have to as well. It's peer pressure marketing at its lowest, with a generous serving of anti-consumer business model on the side, and the casuals who buy sports games largely see no problem with it: I know people who spend $1000+ a year on FIFA alone.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RSM-HQ
@Black_Knight_00 said:

It's quite possibly the worst scam in gaming: spend hundreds of dollars to build a competitive team, then start over the next year because nothing carries over to the next game. And you can't simply keep playing last year's game either, because everyone switches over to the new one, including your friends, so you kinda have to as well. It's peer pressure marketing at its lowest, with a generous serving of anti-consumer business model on the side, and the casuals who buy sports games largely see no problem with it: I know people who spend $1000+ a year on FIFA alone.

All very true, and the sad part is it's not a stab at people who like soccer, this is just reality.

Have nothing against soccer itself, I actually play it during the summer out in our local park; and have a lot of fun. But I find the fandom who game very easily convinced to spend a lot to support that love for this sport; and more than other fandoms. Well maybe on par with Star Wars fandom, but they actually spoke against Battlefront 2 and the new game seems to be an answer to that former issue.

I mean, I love One Piece but wouldn't buy any of the games. Pure cash-grabs. It's all about making choices.

Soccer fans for the majority need to learn and answer with the wallet, only then will the soccer gaming market be treated with any respect from the likes of EA. Till then, these publishers see soccer fans as idiots easily parted from all that hard earned money.

And they will take as much as they can manipulate, from an otherwise very gullible market.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sakaiXx

@RSM-HQ: hey if you want to boycott all power to you. I have done my part to explain to a non fan who dont understand the game. Now I just want to be back into the mix.

Football game mechanically is always great and the nature of competitiveness addicting as heck. Football games is probably the greatest party game ever created as well for its crowd. Why you want to bring FIFA or PES to a general gaming forum? Many here would never underststand how its played and how its mechanics differs. I doubt you know why the AI set Nescastle to play long ball or why Man city play possesion game or why somehow your main target man gets zone marked. There is place for everything and its not here.

Football games are great, full of content that can last you for a while but non fans would never know other than criticize the Ultimate Team mtx. Yes Ultimate Team is bad due to MTX but you know what? You can avoid entirely and still able to enjoy fully what a football game can offer. But you will never know any of these non MTX modes cause you have zero idea what is manager mode, master league or online seasons, tournaments and divisions.

Anyhow feel free to critizice football game. In the end gameplay from 1990 or 2000 or 2010 or 2030 it is still the same dna wise you still kick the ball in the same field searching for goals to win you match. You may reply me and in the meanwhile my original thread purpose, why the heck there is no Premier League or Bundesliga in PES 2020. Uh damn I was really impressed at this year's PES offering too.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@RSM-HQ: The Star Wars fandom put their money where their mouth was and protested Battleaffront 2 (no typo) to the point its business model had to be reworked, and even then the game was a commercial flop, hitting around 50% of projected sales, let alone micropayments.

That's because the Star Wars fans who are gamers are mostly core gamers who know a good deal from a scam (see the mockery gamers have recently made of Google Stadia and its $60 rentals) and follow independent gaming youtubers who raised a stink about the BF2 issue. Conversely, the vast majority of sports gamers are casuals who don't give a monkey's toss about the inner workings of the gaming industry, which is fair enough, but what that means is that they are extremely unlikely to refuse a purchase on principle alone.

The mindset there is: "What do I have to do to have a team made of eleven Cristiano Ronaldo's? Buy these $0,99 booster packs? Sure, I have the disposable income, so why not."

More than one gaming company thought the rest of us would share that line of reasoning and boy: did they ever slam their faces on the cold realization that we do not.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omegaMaster

@RSM-HQ:FIFA is a great game. More fun when you play online or a group of friends.

Football (Soccer) is the biggest and the most popular sport in the world. No wonder EA does such a good job with FIFA since they easily manipulate us football gamers lol.

I never understood why people buy FIFA games every year, it's pretty much a few tweaks, new kits, shift a few players to a different team. For console players, you even can't upload unofficial patches (like kits, faces, etc) on them which is bullocks.

Soccer fans for the majority need to learn and answer with the wallet, only then will the soccer gaming market be treated with any respect from the likes of EA. Till then, these publishers see soccer fans as idiots easily parted from all that hard earned money.

Spot on. Microtransactions and DLCs can only get worse in the future as long as football fans submit to microtransactions and EA continue to make $$$. I, for one, buy FIFA games once every 4-5 years and never ever paid a single microtransaction.

- From a PES fan

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sakaiXx

@omegamaster: Since ur a PES fan, regarding the patch can I upload additional commentary as well or only the unofficial patch for kits?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 omegaMaster
@sakaixx said:

@omegamaster: Since ur a PES fan, regarding the patch can I upload additional commentary as well or only the unofficial patch for kits?

It's possible, but don't think you can do that on consoles.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sakaiXx

@omegamaster: oh well, I made up my mind to buy this year's edition of PES anyway. Everyone in my circle decided to come back and we choose PES as our football game. Hopefully we meet somewhere in the online division if ur picking up this year's game.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omegaMaster

@sakaixx: Good decision. I am still deciding whether to get FIFA20 or PES2020. Not bought a FIFA game since FIFA16

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Calling it soccer infuriates me!

I'm a big football fan, and must admit I've purchases FIFA since 01 (with a few PES mixed in too) but I shan't be getting FIFA 20. I love playing the game against or with my mates (pro clubs is my favourite mode) but the money grabbing leech that is Ultimate Team has just completely ruined the game. EA don't focus anywhere else because this is their money maker. I hate it, miss a week and your team is so far behind everyone else I just stopped playing it about 2 years ago.

@RSM-HQ saying the game is 'exactly the same' isn't quite true. Play FIFA '05 and then play FIFA '19; they're massively different (even graphics aside). Playing last years to this years is different, too. You're just thinking 'it's still football (or soccer as you call it *shudder*)' so therefore it can't change. That's the same as any sport game really.

But anyway, as long as suckers keep buying it, EA will keep making it!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sakaiXx

@omegamaster said:

@sakaixx: Good decision. I am still deciding whether to get FIFA20 or PES2020. Not bought a FIFA game since FIFA16

Yeah me too. Last I bought was PES 2013 (Which was crap personally don't love the slower movement and weird passing compared to older). This year's PES 2020 looking really good, seems like they polished a lot in this year's game and the stadium recreation looks sick.

@goodzorr said:

I'm a big football fan, and must admit I've purchases FIFA since 01 (with a few PES mixed in too) but I shan't be getting FIFA 20. I love playing the game against or with my mates (pro clubs is my favourite mode) but the money grabbing leech that is Ultimate Team has just completely ruined the game. EA don't focus anywhere else because this is their money maker. I hate it, miss a week and your team is so far behind everyone else I just stopped playing it about 2 years ago.

@RSM-HQ saying the game is 'exactly the same' isn't quite true. Play FIFA '05 and then play FIFA '19; they're massively different (even graphics aside). Playing last years to this years is different, too. You're just thinking 'it's still football (or soccer as you call it *shudder*)' so therefore it can't change. That's the same as any sport game really.

But anyway, as long as suckers keep buying it, EA will keep making it!

This year got an exciting team called Piemonte Calcio debuting for FIFA 20. XD

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
@goodzorr said:

@RSM-HQ saying the game is 'exactly the same' isn't quite true. Play FIFA '05 and then play FIFA '19;

I didn't use 05 as my example, did I?

@RSM-HQ said: Then let's compare Fifa 07 to Fifa 19. It's night and day

I used 07. And I can vouch playing both those versions that not much is improved in any good way that makes it worth twelve years worth of nineteen games and over 16 thousand micro transactions! Look it up, I don't make this stuff up. And it shocks me some soccer fans are defending this. Blows my mind

_so therefore it can't change. That's the same as any sport game really

Well that's just what they call it here. If you take it too personal, maybe you are too closely passionate to the subject which explains the level of bias. Might want to take a step back and see the overall issue here.

To be honest two sports being called 'football' always seemed stupid to me personally. Difference is the american football I think is an inferior sport over soccer.

But they both don't have 'games' worth playing for someone who actually wants to play a game with decent mechanics and input configuration. Speed Ball 2 is the only rendition of these two sports that I've considered a fun and entertaining video game. Also doesn't use micro transactions of a yearly model so yay