Why do developers make so many crappy games on the Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Dragon Blade's average rating: 50% :?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/941527.asp

I swear, I think these developers are spending next to nothing in making these terrible games on purpose just to make a quick buck. Anyway, these terrible games should stop...but you know the'll keep on coming. :x

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Well not only are developers not confident that their games will actually sell on the Wii, they have already invested a great deal of time and money into HD consoles. It would take a really gutsy developer to throw away all of their investments and instead dedicate their best employees to a Wii-only game (since this game can't be used on the PS3, 360, or PC).
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Most publishers put their worst dev teams on Wii projects, I really wish they would take the Wii seriously, but very few do though.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

I read an article about this game the other day, it's D3 a budget developer who re-uses assets to make stripped down games at budget prices.... like this. Dragon Blade is an example of the bad end of the spectrum, there are medium end examples and niche delights other than this.

That said there is a disturbing lack of big budget traditional sty-le fare from a lot of publishers.

NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
Nintendo is trying this developer-friendly approach, and unfortunately this is a side-effect. The best way to fix it is to simply not buy the shovelware, and buy the good titles, as your “vote” in the video game market.
arithmetic2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arithmetic2
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
will the Wii heat pass away?
OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

I think a lot of it is that developers aren't sure what to do with the Wii; another part of it is its unfriendliness to cross-platform development (both ways).

But most importantly, I think that a lot of developers and publishers are looking at the Wii and seeing that it has a huge installed user base, but that demographically speaking, most of those users bought it as an expensive toy. These users want to mess around with Wii Sports and maybe a couple of other gimmicky games, but they aren't really interested in "serious" gaming--they or their kids just saw someone playing with the Wiimote and thought it looked interesting and fun. But the next big shooter? Or god forbid, strategy game? RPG? They wouldn't know what to do with it even if they were interested in the idea of it. Which they're not.

Developers and publishers realize all of this. They know that there's not much of a market for core games on the Wii; so they put a weak, low-cost development team on the console and tell them to make light, gimmicky games that will sell to the "expensive toy" user base.

I really think that's the truth and the whole story, and it's too bad, because the Wii's control system does have a lot of potential for interesting, serious, and original gameplay. But the way things are going, it will rarely be exploited.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
Well most of them are just throwing shovelware to capatilze on the system. However due to it's high sales and software sales (looking at the charts usually the good/decent games sell better then the bad games) some developers are slowly improving their games and taking the Wii a little bit more serious to garner higher sales (look at NiGHTS and Rygar). Also the Wii's third party quality have improved over time, actually I made a topic about that, but for some reason it got locked.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
They don't put the time and effort required to make a quality game for the Wii.However,this seems to be changing...
Testoster0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Testoster0wn
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

I swear, I think these developers are spending next to nothing in making these terrible games on purpose just to make a quick buck. Anyway, these terrible games should stop...but you know the'll keep on coming. :x

ASK_Story

That's one of the reasons I sold my Wii...so I feel your pain. The developers absolutely half-ass everything for the Wii, and it just pissed me off. I got myself an ownage gaming PC instead of sticking with Nintendo...and I'll never go back.

Cristallis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cristallis
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts
They actually believed the "make a minigame and it will fund your larger PS3/360 developments". Thankfully, that statement is false, and it won't in the end.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Testoster0wn

That's one of the reasons I sold my Wii...so I feel your pain. The developers absolutely half-ass everything for the Wii, and it just pissed me off. I got myself an ownage gaming PC instead of sticking with Nintendo...and I'll never go back.

I feel sorry for you. You will miss out SMG, SSBB, MP3, NMH, BWii, RE:UC, FF:CC:CC, SCL, Rygar, NiGHTS,etc. And oh i have a high end gaming PC too but it's not stopping me from enjoying my wii. With wii exclusives, PC multiplats that are also on Xbox 360 and PS3 and PC exclusives like The Wiitcher and Crysis, this is a great gen for me. I don't need PS3 and Xbox 360 games.

Anyway, sooner or later wii will have epic and great games. Wii has much more crap games since it's no. 1 in console sales right now. PS2 had thousands of crap games (i know its a little bit exaggerated but i mean there were countless crap games).