Why did Activision drop Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, etc.?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 0

#1 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

Quite simply, if a game won't spawn a franchise that they can create an annual multi-platform sequel, they don't want ANY part of it. So says Bobby Kotick, their CEO.

"With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform, with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of, over time, becoming $100 million-plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us," Kotick said in the Gamasutra-attended call later transcribed by Seeking Alpha.

"It's something that we have been very disciplined about. So, while there are lots of promise for a lot of these products that we had in the portfolio, I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus -- especially given the increase in development expenditures on the products that have those attributes and characteristics that we know if we release today, we'll be working on 10 years from now."

Emphasis added was my own.

Man, Activision has just been dishing out the good news lately, haven't they?

Note: I can't even type "The Chronicles of ****: Assault on Dark Athena" on this silly forum without being censored. What's up with that? Sigh.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
They're simply looking to maximize return on their investment capital. Sounds like a solid business practice.
Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Nice business plan Activision, but big big loss for us. Guess I should only be expecting Call of Duty X from them from now on.
Wardemon50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Wardemon50
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts
So what's going to happen to Brutal Legend :O
Zarden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Zarden
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts
Man, that's uncool. I was really looking forward to both Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend. Eh but what can I say? The gaming industry is a business just like anything else.
VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

So what's going to happen to Brutal Legend :OWardemon50

I believe Quatermann from EGM rumored that the project is fine and will be picked up by a publisher.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

Man, that's uncool. I was really looking forward to both Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend. Eh but what can I say? The gaming industry is a business just like anything else. Zarden

Its official that Ghostbusters is fine and rumored that Brutal Legend is fine as well.

I'd just like to add (towards the topic) that hearing stuff like this really doesn't surprise me. I've noticed this emerging production mentality in this industry for a while now and it makes me sick to my stomach. I see business models like these and I see Mirror's Edge as another Battlefield game.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Wow Activision, you really know how to win over our hearts. I cat wait to play the same game for 10 years in a row and pay for all the user generated content that comes with it as well! Oh wait.... I forgot... Im actually NOT almost every other gamer ever. *skips off*
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 EvilAshTwin
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

Its official that Ghostbusters is fine and rumored that Brutal Legend is fine as well.

VMan

Yeah thats what I was going to say. Ghostbusters got a pardon, and unless they announced something recently, they still plan on releasing it.