Why Are You a Gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Some people play games for fun, or to play with friends, or they play some games simply for the graphics. Other people like myself play video games for the emotional experience. Games that can make me feel connected to the characters and envirment is why i play them. What about all of you? Sure games like Call of Duty are fun, but they dont provide anything of emotional value to me. Why do you play video games?

dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts

Entertainment

jorler333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 jorler333
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

Entertainment

dazman31
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

^What those guys said.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Just one of my favourite hobbies. Something i never get bored with and relates into alot of other things really, discussions, forums, comics etc.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Well let me see....

I don't date anymore because I'm married, And I live in a place if it disappeared no one would notice.

I guess boredom.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

[QUOTE="dazman31"]

Entertainment

jorler333

Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

Basically people break media up into a few different categories. Music, Movies, and Video Games being the biggest ones. Some people enjoy going to concerts. A lot of people like to go to movies. Personally I enjoy video games the most because I get to control the story and how it is paced. People will go to a movie and you can say how it turned out. With a game it isn't always the same though sometimes it might be. Basically what i'm saying is games can give me the same feeling a movie and music can, but with more surprises. Cheers to us Gamers

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i play to play, some games for the story, some for the gameplay, some just for fun, i am a gamer
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

First of all to be entertained. Also because of challenges and as you said emotional experiences.

kane1511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kane1511
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

Beats tv and I can talk and play with friends.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I love technology and gaming has always been at the forefront of technology.
73X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 73X
Member since 2008 • 1545 Posts

While I play for pretty much every single one of the reasons you mentioned above, if I were to have to pick just one, it would be for the emotional experience.

hrothgar99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrothgar99
Member since 2009 • 511 Posts

well i am gamer because for its the ultimate way to relax ....there nothing better than takin down the nazis or scoring the winning goal or like taking on a nation with nothing but a sword in hand and a shield by your side ....for me its this is what i love about gaming......I myself prefer RPG's because you get to relive someone else's world

Shmoe82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 Shmoe82
Member since 2003 • 672 Posts
It all depends on the game. Some aren't all that fun but they are very challenging so I enjoy them and others have no challenge to them but are entertaining.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Entertainment

dazman31
That, not "challenge" and "competition" that some people play for. I dont care how hardcore or not the game is, i just want it to be fun to play through, to be a nice experiance.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Some people play games for fun, or to play with friends, or they play some games simply for the graphics. Other people like myself play video games for the emotional experience. Games that can make me feel connected to the characters and envirment is why i play them. What about all of you? Sure games like Call of Duty are fun, but they dont provide anything of emotional value to me. Why do you play video games?

bigboss1203

I would say it is 75% emotional for me but 25% is stress relief/entertainment. Sometimes I just want to kick back with games like Painkiller. The story isn't great but it is fun.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
For stronger thumbs.
AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts
I play them for fun and I've have been a gamer for a really long time. XD
Sides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sides
Member since 2003 • 4289 Posts

It is just a hobby for me, to learn and play games, and it is something that I am rather good at too.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I'll be flat out honest here: to a large extent I play them to escape reality. I have a serious chronic disease that is a constant threat and hardship, and I just need to get away sometimes. Games do the job. Kind of sad, but it's the truth.

It's not the only reason, however......gaming allows me to do and experience things not allowed in real life. I love seeing the creativity and ingenuity, and also appreciate the technical merits. It's also enjoyable to try to figure out how the designers accomplished what they did.

Keyblade_150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Keyblade_150
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts

For fun :)

ArT33_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArT33_7
Member since 2009 • 608 Posts

I play them mainly for fun. and its a huge hobby for me, since I've been playing video games since I was around 4 years old.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Entertainment. I find it fun.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Playing games makes me a cool kid.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22423 Posts

I game because it's fun & entertaining. It's also like an escape... After a hard days work & with alot on my mind, nothing beats exploring Rapture or chasing lost treasure in Uncharted or finding the Origami killer!

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Because I like to play games? :|

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

I play games for entertainment and for once in awhile to escape reality. I love video games. :D

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#29 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
becasue games entertain me
coveredeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coveredeyes
Member since 2010 • 92 Posts

I'll be flat out honest here: to a large extent I play them to escape reality. I have a serious chronic disease that is a constant threat and hardship, and I just need to get away sometimes. Games do the job. Kind of sad, but it's the truth.

It's not the only reason, however......gaming allows me to do and experience things not allowed in real life. I love seeing the creativity and ingenuity, and also appreciate the technical merits. It's also enjoyable to try to figure out how the designers accomplished what they did.

Rekunta
Sorry to hear that man. Video games do a great job to take you away from reality. I play partly for escapism; getting away from my depression which I know, ironically enough is partly due to lack of exercise and too much time on video games. Other big reasons for me are the graphical innovations (especially the 3D modeling which I practice from time to time), the challenges a game can present, the stories games can tell, as effectively as any other medium; and the fun of playing a game simply because in a way you are 'playing'. I've been playing since I was 4 years old because of my dad's influence, playing the early prince of persia games etc. and it has progressed from there.
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
I think to get out of our boring lives and enter other stories.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#32 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I play video games because they're fun. I enjoy the stories, the action, and the atmospheres.

eh-ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eh-ut
Member since 2009 • 563 Posts
Fun is number one. I love playing to be an soldier, so i can be right on battlefield and feel the battle.
Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#34 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
Generally to distract myself and do something entertaining when not doing stuff for school. But within that vein, I prefer to be engaged by games with good narratives and strong characters rather than multiplayer experiences, which basically consist of doing the same thing over and over again and perfecting meaningless skills.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

coveredeyes

Sorry to hear that man. Video games do a great job to take you away from reality. I play partly for escapism; getting away from my depression which I know, ironically enough is partly due to lack of exercise and too much time on video games. Other big reasons for me are the graphical innovations (especially the 3D modeling which I practice from time to time), the challenges a game can present, the stories games can tell, as effectively as any other medium; and the fun of playing a game simply because in a way you are 'playing'. I've been playing since I was 4 years old because of my dad's influence, playing the early prince of persia games etc. and it has progressed from there.

Yea, I always wonder if I play videogames because I'm depressed, or I'm depressed because I play videogames. :? Considering I was playing them before I got depressed and do enjoy them for more than escapism, it's safe to say there's really no correlation.....but it probably doesn't help.

Btw, what program do you do 3D with? I'd like to get into it, but have no idea where to start. Doesn't 3D studio cost around 30k?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Storyline, entertainment, pwning someone online, escape.
coveredeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coveredeyes
Member since 2010 • 92 Posts

[QUOTE="coveredeyes"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Rekunta

Yea, I always wonder if I play videogames because I'm depressed, or I'm depressed because I play videogames. :? Considering I was playing them before I got depressed and do enjoy them for more than escapism, it's safe to say there's really no correlation.....but it probably doesn't help.

Btw, what program do you do 3D with? I'd like to get into it, but have no idea where to start. Doesn't 3D studio cost around 30k?

No its not as bad as some people think. There are a few free good 3D programs such as blender. It takes awhile to get used to, but does the job. I don't have or need a studio, seeing as I just make character models and do nothing with them, such as rendering and texturing, all you need really is a reasonable computer. It does depend on what you want to do, but if like me, you just like to practice and mess around from time to time then a 3D studio is completely out of the question. So yeah try blender, zBrush is another good one but is expensive, of course there are other less 'legitimate' ways of acquiring the software if your low on cash. Hope that helped. You can message me if you want more info etc. if you like. :)
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
They provide entertainment.
-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

There are a lot of reasons. The main one is probably that it is a escape from reality especially when reality is sucking.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Entertainment and everything that entails.