Why are all bad guys from RUSSIA?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

playpassenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 playpassenger
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

First of all don't think I am a russian, or a pro-russian. I am pro-none.

I was just reminiscing the games I played since I started playing games.

Currently I am playing MGS2 on my ps2.

Suddenly a thought flashed in my mind, why do all these games have Russians as bad people and villains!? Are they so bad in real lives? I never met one.

But the games show them cunning and full of hatred and senseless, emotionless creatures.

Because these are made by the American developers?

If that's so, then are Russians nowhere in the game developing dept.?

Are russians not into making games?

If they are, then are they having their own consoles and their own games?

I remember, that Freedom Fighters, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Hitman seriesand a few others had these russian men playing the villain roles.

Anyone there to suggest what's going on? And what is Russia's view on this? I am not ready to believe that they never retorted. Maybe Press pushed their heads down in the water while they were trying to speak. Yes, nowadays press people lie a lot and make news of what never happened or hide news that may not be of so much importance to their own selves. Its all manipulative. Manipulation for Money.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Well see...there was this thing called the Cold War....
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Freedom fighter was based on " What if the Soviet union had managed to invade the US as a result of the Cold War MGS 2, I also think this take place durring the Cold War and as for Hitman, He gets a target and kill it, no matter the nationality or status. And Russia is in the game making department, hell the first game ever made was made by a Russian ( Pong), You have Cryostasis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as very recent games made by russian/ukrainian developers. I also think you're blowing this up way beyond what it really is, no doubt the US has many games that has Russians as "Enemies" but most of the time they take place during the Cold War setting. Other times It's most likely a coinincidence.
yaya_xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yaya_xp
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i think it 'is' and not 'was' & they still hate each other

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Not all bad guys in video games are Russian. For instance, in the Splinter Cell series, Nikoladze was Georgian, Sadono was Indonesian, and Dufraisne was American. There's really not much trace of Russian in classic villains like The Legend of Zelda's Ganon, Mario's Bowser, etc., either.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

nailed in the first reply, but this should help too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Actually, Tetris was created by a Russian. I can't remember his name though. Probably Boris :D

dead_p1xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dead_p1xel
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts

because russians are badass

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#9 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Freedom fighter was based on " What if the Soviet union had managed to invade the US as a result of the Cold War MGS 2, I also think this take place durring the Cold War and as for Hitman, He gets a target and kill it, no matter the nationality or status. And Russia is in the game making department, hell the first game ever made was made by a Russian ( Pong), You have Cryostasis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as very recent games made by russian/ukrainian developers. I also think you're blowing this up way beyond what it really is, no doubt the US has many games that has Russians as "Enemies" but most of the time they take place during the Cold War setting. Other times It's most likely a coinincidence.Treflis
MGS 3 takes place during the cold war, two might be around 2010 or a little before. I forgot the exact year but it was in the future from when it came out. There seem to be just as many games where other nationalities are the enemies.
playpassenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 playpassenger
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts
Thanks for your inputs. Okay, this was a one sided story. But similarly, Russians must be feeling the same way for the Americans, so aren't they putting Americans as the bad guys in their games, or are there no gaming houses headed by Russia?
bigboss894

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 bigboss894
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts
Hell i hated COD4's story I've seen it a million times:Russian get the nukes blah blah,Americans and the Brits stop them and save the world.It's not that I hate Americans or Russians but whouldn't it be better to add somethin new like in Crysis tke Koreans are the enemy and one of the most powerfull forces in the world,in Fallout 3 there are Chinese etc.etc.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Well see...there was this thing called the Cold War....Paladin_King
Much of the discrimination against Russian characters in Western games is still a holdover from the days of the Cold War, like Paladin_King spoke of. Direct attacks were not out in the open, but demonization of the other culture was the main way of attack.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts

The Red Cyclone disagrees:

Flashpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Flashpenny

Not all bad guys in video games are Russian. For instance, in the Splinter Cell series, Nikoladze was Georgian, Sadono was Indonesian, and Dufraisne was American. There's really not much trace of Russian in classic villains like The Legend of Zelda's Ganon, Mario's Bowser, etc., either.

MathMattS

Are you sure because last time I checked Bowser's text bubble in Super Mario Galaxy read: "I will create this new galactic empire in the name of Mother Russia comrade!" On the other hand I was playing frat boy beer pong so that might have had something to do with it

(Note this is a joke. No one take it seriously.)

Avatar image for Nastyfootballpl
Nastyfootballpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nastyfootballpl
well I for one believe russians are EVIL!!! and so should everyone else!!! Nah just kidding, but really I think it was just because the game was based around the cold war. I doubt racism really took part in it, it was just realistic for the time it was based on. thats all. On the other hand, what IF game developers are racist? I can only wonder and believe what I find logically possible and or probable in such a world where logic only goes as far as the physical realm, while in the mental and imaginary realms the possibilities are utterly endless... or are they...
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

"Russia will rise again - and Ray is the key!"

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

Um that's because Russia is evil. Duh!

qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts
Hell i hated COD4's story I've seen it a million times:Russian get the nukes blah blah,Americans and the Brits stop them and save the world.It's not that I hate Americans or Russians but whouldn't it be better to add somethin new like in Crysis tke Koreans are the enemy and one of the most powerfull forces in the world,in Fallout 3 there are Chinese etc.etc.bigboss894
I like the in fallout 3 there are chinese part -.- russians are the bad guys? Let me introduce you to every WWII shooter ever made.
Crimsonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Crimsonia
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

And Middle-Easterns.

qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts

And Middle-Easterns.

Crimsonia
and germans.... I realize a pattern. Its pretty much only white people. THATS RACIST
Faith_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Faith_of_Ruin
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
No its becuase we russians are hated :(.. just kidding.. really i think its becuase of the cold war like some others are saying.
J_Knolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 J_Knolling
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

Well, most people out there writing in the video game industry are probably in their late 20's at the earliest to their late 30's are early 40's. Meaning that they all grew up while the Cold War was still very active, and that while they were raised(were they raised in America) being told that Russia was their enemy. That kind of thing doesn't go away easily.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
That's not fair...at least half of all bad guys are from the middle east XD
Faith_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Faith_of_Ruin
J has a good point though. it would make sense seeing aas the russians were our main rival during the cold war and arms race
hopenui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hopenui
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts

Because All the media you're consuming are from USA

Faith_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Faith_of_Ruin
i wont argue there either... we dont know what to trust really... people are capable of lying to make others feel better... so idk there..
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Their present leader is the biggest thug on the face of the earth...
Faith_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Faith_of_Ruin
Russia or America? becuase both leaders are just following their general beliefs of life style. Im not supporting any or either ones style of living just thats how it is
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

dead_p1xel

THIS

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

I believe one game shows the what TC means.

Empire Earth, there is this campaign that is made on the future (a supposedly situation).

You play as Russia in a try to make the country glorious again and start dominating everywhere, but when you are about to invade the US, the Russians all of sudden are pictured as the bad guys and you`re forced to change side with the "good guys" which happens to be the Americans.

amol_sm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 amol_sm
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Maybe all russian are master mind in gaming !
rojbin100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rojbin100
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts

Also in C&C:red alert series it is not just they are the bad side but they also betray each other like in RA2 Yuri betrays and RA3 Cherdenko betrays besides the U.S is always the good and winning side.:question:

Abigor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Abigor88

because americans are badass

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

First of all don't think I am a russian, or a pro-russian. I am pro-none.

I was just reminiscing the games I played since I started playing games.

Currently I am playing MGS2 on my ps2.

Suddenly a thought flashed in my mind, why do all these games have Russians as bad people and villains!? Are they so bad in real lives? I never met one.

But the games show them cunning and full of hatred and senseless, emotionless creatures.

Because these are made by the American developers?

If that's so, then are Russians nowhere in the game developing dept.?

Are russians not into making games?

If they are, then are they having their own consoles and their own games?

I remember, that Freedom Fighters, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Hitman seriesand a few others had these russian men playing the villain roles.

Anyone there to suggest what's going on? And what is Russia's view on this? I am not ready to believe that they never retorted. Maybe Press pushed their heads down in the water while they were trying to speak. Yes, nowadays press people lie a lot and make news of what never happened or hide news that may not be of so much importance to their own selves. Its all manipulative. Manipulation for Money.

playpassenger

There's the cold war, and then there's Russia being all aggresive towards other countries nowadays.

This thread will turn *is turning* into politics.

Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

dead_p1xel