Whose fault is it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3112 Posts

While MS has lots of their own games they want to control post sale, I have difficulty believing that the ludicrous DRM they're pushing on the Xbox 540 originated from them.  I'm convinced that the publishers and developers are pushing this.

Sony said during their conference that the PS4 will not require a constant connection nor will it have hardware based restrictions on secondhand games but that "they will leave it up to publishers" around implementing restrictions on the software side.  Despite this, the publishers and developers will undoubtedly push Sony hard to make DRM a mandatory hardware requirement.  Lets see if Sony caves as easily as MS did...

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
The gaming public. The poor business practices that gamers endorsed in massive numbers this generation with their money. The Xbox One exists in its current form because Microsoft looked at what people were willing to put up with last generation. If you bought Diablo III or SimCity 4 you have no right to complain about always-on DRM. If you bought any game with an Online Pass you have no right to complain about Microsoft blocking used games. If you bought any game with on disc DLC you have no room to complain when companies keep doing it. Companies respond to the market and the market says people don't mind bending over and grabbing their ankles.
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3112 Posts

Excellent point.  Businesses don't foist crap on their clients unless their clients are willing to take it.  That's exactly what happened during gen 7.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

MS has been at the forefront of DRM pretty much from the onset of DRM.  Selling DRM schemes to content providers is an important part of their business model, so this shouldn't surprise anyone.  MS has never been a consumer-oriented company, they always bet on the media companies.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

I believe Sony will do something similar to MS.  Publishers are pushing hard to eradicate used sales, and if Sony doesn't allow such they will support a platform that does.  They just say, "we'll leave it up to the publishers" so they are not seen as the bad guy.  Everyone is praising Sony, but I hold both them and MS in the same regard at this point.  Publishers hate used game sales, this is well known.  Why support a platform that allows them as to one that doesn't?  If I were to bet, both systems will do their best to block used games.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts
The gaming public. The poor business practices that gamers endorsed in massive numbers this generation with their money. The Xbox One exists in its current form because Microsoft looked at what people were willing to put up with last generation. If you bought Diablo III or SimCity 4 you have no right to complain about always-on DRM. If you bought any game with an Online Pass you have no right to complain about Microsoft blocking used games. If you bought any game with on disc DLC you have no room to complain when companies keep doing it. Companies respond to the market and the market says people don't mind bending over and grabbing their ankles.famicommander
Simcity 4 didn't have always-on DRM.
Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

The gaming public. The poor business practices that gamers endorsed in massive numbers this generation with their money. The Xbox One exists in its current form because Microsoft looked at what people were willing to put up with last generation. If you bought Diablo III or SimCity 4 you have no right to complain about always-on DRM. If you bought any game with an Online Pass you have no right to complain about Microsoft blocking used games. If you bought any game with on disc DLC you have no room to complain when companies keep doing it. Companies respond to the market and the market says people don't mind bending over and grabbing their ankles.famicommander

What this man sad.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I believe Sony will do something similar to MS.  Publishers are pushing hard to eradicate used sales, and if Sony doesn't allow such they will support a platform that does.  They just say, "we'll leave it up to the publishers" so they are not seen as the bad guy.  Everyone is praising Sony, but I hold both them and MS in the same regard at this point.  Publishers hate used game sales, this is well known.  Why support a platform that allows them as to one that doesn't?  If I were to bet, both systems will do their best to block used games.

MirkoS77
The thing is, even if the publishers don't do this on the PS4 at first, there's still no way I could feel comfortable buying one. Even if no one's doing it at first, I'd just feel like the industry would suddenly decide to go that route after they've gotten enough PS4's in people's homes. Honestly, I don't even think "it's the publisher's decision" is good enough for me. At this point, I want to know that it flat out isn't gonna happen.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Does microsoft even care about publishers and developers? They seem to care more about multi-media than video games.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Minishdriveby

MirkoS77
Why support a platform that allows that supports used game sales? Because if they don't they won't see any sales. People are already upset about the anti-consumer practices that Microsoft has announced. What makes you think people are going to buy this over something that's consumer friendly. Publishers need to be put back in their place. They've been grasping for too much control, and hopefully the common consumer doesn't have the wool pulled over their eyes by brand name and newest toy to fall for these types of practices. Let's just hope Sony truly isn't following suit.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"]The gaming public. The poor business practices that gamers endorsed in massive numbers this generation with their money. The Xbox One exists in its current form because Microsoft looked at what people were willing to put up with last generation. If you bought Diablo III or SimCity 4 you have no right to complain about always-on DRM. If you bought any game with an Online Pass you have no right to complain about Microsoft blocking used games. If you bought any game with on disc DLC you have no room to complain when companies keep doing it. Companies respond to the market and the market says people don't mind bending over and grabbing their ankles.Systems_Id

What this man sad.

You're right, I mixed it up with the more recent game.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

MrGeezer

The thing is, even if the publishers don't do this on the PS4 at first, there's still no way I could feel comfortable buying one. Even if no one's doing it at first, I'd just feel like the industry would suddenly decide to go that route after they've gotten enough PS4's in people's homes. Honestly, I don't even think "it's the publisher's decision" is good enough for me. At this point, I want to know that it flat out isn't gonna happen.

It in all likely-hood probably will.  Nobody's coming out explicitly stating this will never happen, the best I've heard is, "We will leave it to the publisher".  That offers no guarantee, all it does is shift the burden directly to those who truly wish it implemented.  It's like handing the executioner his axe.  I'm betting that they'll try somehow to ease us into it slowly instead of a drastic, abrupt change.  "Letting the publisher decide" strikes me as a pretty slick segway.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Minishdriveby

Why support a platform that allows that supports used game sales? Because if they don't they won't see any sales. People are already upset about the anti-consumer practices that Microsoft has announced. What makes you think people are going to buy this over something that's consumer friendly. Publishers need to be put back in their place. They've been grasping for too much control, and hopefully the common consumer doesn't have the wool pulled over their eyes by brand name and newest toy to fall for these types of practices. Let's just hope Sony truly isn't following suit.

I have lost faith in peoples' ability to stand up for their rights when it comes to gaming.  Many, unfortunately, will support this, and I believe those who boycott this new X1 are in the minority.  Many people just don't care.  What I wonder is, will losing a lot of console sales caused by not being able to sell used games and being able to take their consoles offline for more than 24 hours be enough to negate all that extra revenue that is coming in from people being forced to buy new?  Abolishing used sales will bring in a huge amount of money that was not there before, and it's just a matter of how many people they can afford to lose.

It's shocking to me that MS has just alienated everyone without Internet access.  That's a major move and I can't wait to see the sales figures when it launches.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Minishdriveby

It in all likely-hood probably will.  Nobody's coming out explicitly stating this will never happen, the best I've heard is, "We will leave it to the publisher".  That offers no guarantee, all it does is shift the burden directly to those who truly wish it implemented.  It's like handing the executioner his axe.  I'm betting that they'll try somehow to ease us into it slowly instead of a drastic, abrupt change.  "Letting the publisher decide" strikes me as a pretty slick segway.

MirkoS77
I have the same gut feeling about Sony too. Which is why I'm questioning my leap into the next generation besides the Wii-U whose terrible online service is actually a saving grace.

I have lost faith in peoples' ability to stand up for their rights when it comes to gaming.  Many, unfortunately, will support this, and I believe those who boycott this new X1 are in the minority.  Many people just don't care.  What I wonder is, will losing a lot of console sales caused by not being able to sell used games and being able to take their consoles offline for more than 24 hours be enough to negate all that extra revenue that is coming in from people being forced to buy new?  Abolishing used sales will bring in a huge amount of money that was not there before, and it's just a matter of how many people they can afford to lose.

It's shocking to me that MS has just alienated everyone without Internet access.  That's a major move and I can't wait to see the sales figures when it launches.

MirkoS77
The problem is they're trying to cast a wide net, so yes they will be more successful than most forumites think. Mostly because the people who buy it will be attracted to other features. My sister doesn't want my 360 in her room to play games; she wants it for netflix. Unfortunately I don't have a Live account nor wired internet outlets in my room or hers so she's shit out of luck. The majority of the people buying the XOne will be buying because the recognize the brand and want to get something for their family without researching it.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm still putting the blame on Microsoft. It's their console, they ultimate decide what happens on it. They're the ones who have decided to require mandatory checks on your console every 24 hours to make sure you're being a good little consumer, they're the ones who've decided to force Kinect and all its Orwellian effects onto people, they're the ones who've decided to eliminate the secondhand market, and the list goes on. 

Publishers might have influenced Microsoft to make some of these changes, but ultimately Microsoft is responsible for this disastrous console. 

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MirkoS77

I'm still putting the blame on Microsoft. It's their console, they ultimate decide what happens on it. They're the ones who have decided to require mandatory checks on your console every 24 hours to make sure you're being a good little consumer, they're the ones who've decided to force Kinect and all its Orwellian effects onto people, they're the ones who've decided to eliminate the secondhand market, and the list goes on. 

Publishers might have influenced Microsoft to make some of these changes, but ultimately Microsoft is responsible for this disastrous console. 

Vari3ty

Your sig is priceless.  I especially like the image flash at the end.  Hilarious.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

Nailed it in the first two posts. Publishers/developers and gamers who bought a bunch of digital games/Steam supporters. MS took the bullet.

But as I said before, although Sony has a more...casual...it's not us, it's them..approach, we already know EA loves this. So their games will have it on the PS4.  I still think MS and Sony are colluding on this and I expect things to eventually end up the same way on the PS4. I just don't see how MS pulls this off on their own. Everyone would by default get a PS4. So I expect the bad news to start trickling in on the PS4 as well.  And if this is the case, this is why I have been saying MS's strategy to get everything out of the way now, works out in the long run, and it was a planned, strategical move to get the bad stuff out of the way, and turn around and please the hardcore gamer at E3. Sony has yet to give their fans the bad news and really paint the bigger picture.

Saying we'll leave it up to publishers, when the largest publisher in the world says "you're going to love this stuff", doesn't sound too reassuring to me. 

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

^This.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#19 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Sony and Microsoft develop and publish games too. Sony was supposed to release the last guardian last gen but they didn't. Developers should have a deadline.