Who is a true gamer in your opinion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

A true gamer, in my opinion, is someone who loves to game and doesn't care what others have to say about it.

What do you think?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

A true gamer, in my opinion, is someone who loves to game and doesn't care what others have to say about it.

What do you think?

nameless12345

True gamer is someone who registers on a gaming site/forum and then asks other gamers what true gamer is.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

Anyone who loves to game, whatever backround, gaming habits whatever. Anyone who puts constraints on who a true gamer is has too much time on their hands. Its like trying to define a hardcore gamer or a real gamer. It really does not matter, just enjoy your gaming however and when/whatever you do it.Everything does not have to be defined. It's a bad habit of humans to have to put everything a box and define in black and white terms when most things are shades of gray. And sometimes a Rectangular peg won't fit in a square spot.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

A"true gamer" is someone who plays games. That's all there is to it...

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

What do you think?

nameless12345

All gamers.. the fact that there are different idiots out there judging other gamers and labeling them insulting, trough their utter ignorance, is besides the point.. Or people with trash expectations refusing to play older pre 2004 games because of 'teh grafix' is also besides the point..

But if i were to say what a true gamer is... One who is not a fanboy, and does not negate logic for the sake of he's opinion, wen disscusing about games. A person that enjoys any game based on he's taste, and not based on what other people like.

To_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 To_Ashes
Member since 2006 • 549 Posts

Since there is many coined terms used for a "Gamer". Everyone is basically a gamer whoever has the desire to play games. But as for "True Gamer" goes, it really depends on the person and their outlook on it.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to add any modifiers to the term 'gamer' - a gamer is someone who plays and enjoys games. Doesn't matter what games - Bejeweled, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Team Fortress, Farmville, whatever. Even World of Warcraft players are gamers. Then again, there is a competitive side to gaming where I think enjoyment factors into the process a lot less. But I guess they still enjoy it in and around the obsession with winning that you find at the crazy FPS and fighting game competitions (and Starcraft, dear god, the Starcraft geekery).
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Someone who would have the answer "...I play video games..." to the question "What do you do in your spare time?"

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Anyone who loves to game, whatever backround, gaming habits whatever. Anyone who puts constraints on who a true gamer is has too much time on their hands. Its like trying to define a hardcore gamer or a real gamer. It really does not matter, just enjoy your gaming however and when/whatever you do it.Everything does not have to be defined. It's a bad habit of humans to have to put everything a box and define in black and white terms when most things are shades of gray. And sometimes a Rectangular peg won't fit in a square spot.

_Bear

I agree, but I'd add a caveat. A true gamer enjoys games, meaning they don't come to a gaming website and complain about every single game mentioned in a forum thread.

Also a true gamer keeps his Game Collection in his Profile up to date.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Anyone who plays games with any degree of regularity is a gamer.

That isn't to say that some gamers don't have s*** taste or lame habits that make them chronically LESS THAN HUMAN in my eyes, but they are still gamers.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

someone who gives upa social life to game.

LightTheWay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LightTheWay
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

I just got an image of a Vanilla Ice wannabe type trying to establish some sort of street cred by pretending to be a "true" gamer. He's making wild hand gestures insisting that he got game/he's a gamer, while a group of nerdish people (I know it's a stereotype but it's a funny image) just stand around him with their arms folded across their chest, shake their heads, calling him a poser, saying things like "you don't know donkey kong, you ain't no true gamer." Thanks for the laugh op.

No, there is no such creature as a "true" gamer out there. That would imply that there are "fake" gamers, and that's just not true. There are just people who play games(AKA gamers) and people who don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

A person who enjoys games nomatter the platform nor the looks. (Genres are subjective, can't expect someone to love every kind of genre). One Who really gets a smile on thier face, even if they were to play a game aimed for kids, IF the gameplay stands up.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

There's nothing philosophical about gaming so being true or not it doesn't matter, if you game then you're a gamer just as simple as that. But if you want to draw a line then the terms "core" and "casual" are more suitable to create a distinction. Casual - play sometimes, Core - plays a lot.

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

To me, a gamer is someone that plays many different types of games. So if all you play is WoW or CoD, I would call you a fan of those particular games, but not a true gamer (that's not to say people that only play one type of game are inferior or anything).

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Someone who plays and enjoys playing games.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Anyone who enjoys games.

While on the topic, here's as good a place as any to ask: Why do so many PC gamers say that they're "true gamers" as opposed to console gamers? Why are those guys, not all PC gamers mind you, just the arrogant ones, like that? I understand that PC games are more complex, but why the hostility from some?

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

You're a soccer player if you play soccer, you're fat if you're overweight, you're a gamer if you play games. DUH.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#20 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
The Merriam-Webster definition of a "gamer" is as follows: "a person who plays games; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games" I'll go with that.
Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
Just be open minded and passionate about games. You don't need to A+ a game, you don't need to work in the games industry and you don't have to dedicate your entire life on games.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Anybody who looks up information for video games and have played all the genres.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

I always think of it as someone who cares about gaming although "true" isn't really the right word for it.

It's how I differentiate gamers from "true" gamers.

NCsmallCHILDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NCsmallCHILDS
Member since 2010 • 790 Posts

I'm a real gamer. I've spent thousands of dollars on gaming. I am true to my love!

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#25 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

What you said pretty much sums up my opinion.

Avatar image for darkassassin911
darkassassin911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darkassassin911
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts

In my opinion, a true gamer is someone who plays just for fun, isn't a fanboy, and who doesn't scream like 10 yr olds in XBL and PSN.

Pieville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pieville
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

A True Gamer is someone who doesn't judge a game before playing it and doesn't judge a gamer for the games he/she has played.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

A true gamer is someone who doesn't care about graphics or the system and just plays the game.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

someone who gives upa social life to game.

urbangamez

nah, that just a stereotype ;)

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

True gamer is a sad sad name someone gives to himself after spending an ungodly amount of time on games and developing some sort of pride doing it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Someone who can play Windows Solitaire, Gears of War on the 360, Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii and Angry Birds on their cellphone and see them all as equal forms of entertainment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

lazyathew

Pretty much this. Even if a person only plays games that GS reviews highly, and constantly bashes games he has no idea about, he's still a "true gamer" because he still plays games. The only way your not a true gamer is if you don't play video games but pretend that you do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

True gamer is a sad sad name someone gives to himself after spending an ungodly amount of time on games and developing some sort of pride doing it.

Zerocrossings

Haha, very very true. I'd say this is actually the best definition. Someone who can waste so much time doing something so pointless and yet be proud of it.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
A true gamer is a person who plays video games. /thread
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Even though I say "core" gamer a lot in my opinion there is no such thing as "hardcore" "true" or "core" gamers. Either your a gamer or your not. A gamer is someone who puts a lot of time in and has experience with games. Someone who either actively plays or is actively looks up games and who is not put off by difficulty, so in my opinion if you think Kirbys Epic Yarn is a hard game or Street Fighter 4 has a steep learning curve, then you probably arent a gamer.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

What do you think?

EvilSelf

True gamer is someone who registers on a gaming site/forum and then asks other gamers what true gamer is.

Sounds as though he may be a little confused lol

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I consider myself a gamer, I play games, I enjoy them and dont plan to give it up anytime soon. I do also have other things besides though, to maintain a balance so to speak. My mum plays Cake Mania, I spose I could class her as a gamer ? lol
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#38 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
A true gamer is someone who makes gaming their number one hobby. They're passionate about it, hard to influence and somewhat good at what they do.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

lazyathew

Completely agree. People put too much emphasis on labels.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Someone, who enjoys playing games, even if its just a single franchise.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

wait, actually

A true gamer, is someone who makes the games.

Everyone else, are just people who are wasting their money. imo

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Someone who can play Windows Solitaire, Gears of War on the 360, Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii and Angry Birds on their cellphone and see them all as equal forms of entertainment.

foxhound_fox

I agree! If you play games, no matter the method and enjoy it! Your a gamer in my eyes! :D

savagehulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 savagehulk
Member since 2002 • 106 Posts

A gamer is someone who plays video games whether it be religiously or sporadically. Hardcore or casual it doesn't matter all are gamers. Some people get games and play to the point they master every aspect of their games. Others never master the game at all but just enjoy playing for fun. Some gamers take it very serious other play for fun to pass time or whatever. I dont think you can say any specific type of gamer is the true gamer. I guess you would call the developers the real true gamers cause their love for games took them to developing the games us players love to play.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

Someone who has enough balls to disregard review scores and Metacritic averages.

Oh, and someone who disregards sales numbers, too.

Rckstrchik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Rckstrchik
Member since 2010 • 1271 Posts

Gamespotters...

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Pretty much, in a lot of "circles" i find elitism and all this jibber jabber, but in the general public nobody cares, things that are called "popular, lol noob" nobody even knows or cares so just do what you want. You are still considered a gamer, no matter what somebody says "oh you have to __ and __ to be true!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Mo-licious

I agree! If you play games, no matter the method and enjoy it! Your a gamer in my eyes! :D

That's impossible to do. You can lie to yourself and say that Gears, SMG2, Angry Birds, and Solitaire are equals, but its impossible not to enjoy one more than the other