Which "Lesser" Legacy Console is Your Favorite?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Which of the "lesser" legacy systems was your favorite? And by "lesser" systems, I mean systems that aren't mainstream or didn't do to well. Let's just make a list of systems I DON'T mean:

These ARE NOT "lesser" systems:

• Atari 2600
  • NES
  • SNES
  • N64
  • Gamecube
  • Game Boy/GBC/GBA
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Sony Playstation
  • PS2
  • XBox
  • PC/Mac

Agreed?

I mean stuff like:

• Atari 5200. 7800
  • Atari Jaguar, Jaguar CD
  • Colecovision
  • Intellivision
  • Atari Lynx
  • 3DO
  • Phillips CD-i
  • Sega Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Saturn, Game Gear
  • Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • TurboGrafx-16, TG-CD
  • Vectrex
  • Virtual Boy

If you have had the pleasure of owning any of those systems, or have had the pleasure of simply playing one (or something even more obscure). Which one was your favorite? Was it the games? The style? The controller? Why?

Out of those, I really haven't played too many. I've played all the Sega systems, except 32X. And I've played Intellivision, and TurboGrafx-16. I'd have to say that out of those, Sega Saturn was my favorite. Very impressive 2D games. The 3D games weren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be, and they definetly had a unique Sega arcade style to a lot of the games on Saturn. It's also a well-built system to boot that should last longer than most modern disc-based systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I've only tried Neo Geo a few times, but I remember a friend of a relative had one and thinking to myself, "Yeah, snes does NOT look like the arcades."

I also really liked the Saturn. I rented it once, and being a huge Virtua Fighter fan (2 is my favorite to this day), had I had the money back then I would have bought one. But, my favorite? Virtual Boy. It's such a sweet system to own. 1. You can complete the whole library. 2. It is unique and has a few really good games. 3. It always created this strange feeling when playing the games--something about the less than stellar audio in tandem with the almost 8-bit style 3D graphics....And finally, it is a great tabletop peice and conversation starter/drinking game machine/etc etc.....pllluuuusssss, it looks cool.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

saturn because of the SHMUPs

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

Game Gear. I had one but I dont use it because the sound is broken.I plan to eventually buy another one. Id likea blue oneto go with my Sonic games. I doubt Id play it very much though. I will but I mostly want it for collecting purposes.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

Gotta say the Saturn. It was the Sega CD on vitamins ans steroids.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Saturn out of those.

but Saturn is not a "lesser" system , it sold the same amount as the Dreamcast, so if one is lesser , so is the other.

according to VGchartz.com

Saturn - 8.82 million

Dreamcast - 8.20 million

and while I dont trust Wikipedia.

Saturn - 9.5 million

Dreamcast - 10.6 million

regardless of which figures are correct, both are very close to each other.

THe Master System as well, while it did badly in the US, was a mainstream console here in Europe, so its certainly not obscure by any means.

The Mega CD is also not bad, sure it has some garbage on it ,like the FMV games, but which console doesn't have bad games.

Never owned a Neo Geo , but I have played some Neo Geo games and the attention to detail and animations in the games is very impressive, its that attention to detail that allowed it to look good even in the late 90s (Mark of the Wolves rivals SF3 in terms of animation)

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

The TurboGraphics 16 bit by far. In Japan, as the PCE it had a fantastic library of games!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Saturn out of those.

but Saturn is not a "lesser" system , it sold the same amount as the Dreamcast, so if one is lesser , so is the other.

Saturn - 8.82 million

Dreamcast - 8.20 million

Saturn - 9.5 million

Dreamcast - 10.6 million

THe Master System as well, while it did badly in the US, was a mainstream console here in Europe, so its certainly not obscure by any means.

The Mega CD is also not bad, sure it has some garbage on it ,like the FMV games, but which console doesn't have bad games.

Never owned a Neo Geo , but I have played some Neo Geo games and the attention to detail and animations in the games is very impressive, its that attention to detail that allowed it to look good even in the late 90s (Mark of the Wolves rivals SF3 in terms of animation)

Darkman2007

Dreamcast is actually a "lesser" console, as well though. It just has such a cult status on this site. At the time of release it did well, but the second the ps2 came out it was more or less forced out of the market. 2 years, i think?

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

The Saturn out of those, but I wouldn't call it a 'lesser' console.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TerragonSix

Well, since I can't go with the Saturn, I'll go with the MSX 2. :)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Saturn out of those.

Saturn - 8.82 million

Dreamcast - 8.20 million

Saturn - 9.5 million

Dreamcast - 10.6 million

Heirren

Dreamcast is actually a "lesser" console, as well though. It just has such a cult status on this site. At the time of release it did well, but the second the ps2 came out it was more or less forced out of the market. 2 years, i think?

Alot of people call the Dreamcast "underrated", when its not really, if a console gets a "10 year anniversary feature" on every major gaming website, , its not underrated.

and yes, The Dreamcast just didn't sell well enough , it didn't outsell the PS1 on a month by month sales , and by the time the PS2 was out, the DC didn't have enough of a fanbase , and just died basically.

Sega also ran out of money, or at least their home division did, they just couldnt compete against Sony or Microsoft on the marketing front.

They could compete with Nintendo , but there is a big difference between Nintendo ,and a huge , multi billion dollar company like Sony or Microsoft

The difference between the DC and Saturn , is that for about 2/3 of its life , the DC was primarily competing with the PS1/N64, the Saturn was primarily competing with the PS1, and later N64.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

TerragonSix
you own an MSX? the thing has some nice games on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Alot of people call the Dreamcast "underrated", when its not really, if a console gets a "10 year anniversary feature" on every major gaming website, , its not underrated.

Darkman2007

I bought one day one. It was supported for a very short period of time. Imo, it fits the thread title to a T. It's too bad it didn't do as well as it should have, because the direction Sega was taking the system was superior to the psx. That dang single annie controller was part of it too, imo.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Heirren

I bought one day one. It was supported for a very short period of time. Imo, it fits the thread title to a T. It's too bad it didn't do as well as it should have, because the direction Sega was taking the system was superior to the psx. That dang single annie controller was part of it too, imo.

indeed it should have done better, it could have been a contender, but Sega didn't have the funds to support it like they should have, and the media didn't help either.
DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Master system

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
sega cd for the RPGs.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
jaguar had some fun with that thing lol. GC though would be the one i would pick on that list it failed in terms of popularity didnt always get the newest greatest games. but still had a blast with it.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Saturn out of those.

Saturn - 8.82 million

Dreamcast - 8.20 million

Saturn - 9.5 million

Dreamcast - 10.6 million

Darkman2007

Okay, that's my bad. I didn't know the numbers on them. I just know from personal experience that I knew a whole lot more people that owned a Dreamcast. Heck, I think I knew 1 guy that had a Saturn back in the day. Me and all my friends had a Dreamcast, though. That had a lot to do with Quake III: Arena, Unreal Tournament, and Marvel vs. Capcom. We'd play each other at those games for hours on end.

And I knew that Master System did well in Europe, but I thought most posters here were U.S., which the Master System was absolutely smashed by NES here.

Anyways, the whole point was naming a console and fond memory attached to it. And naming a console that not everyone and their grandma's have played like Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, Playstation, and XBox.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Saturn out of those.

Saturn - 8.82 million

Dreamcast - 8.20 million

Saturn - 9.5 million

Dreamcast - 10.6 million

Emerald_Warrior

Okay, that's my bad. I didn't know the numbers on them. I just know from personal experience that I knew a whole lot more people that owned a Dreamcast. Heck, I think I knew 1 guy that had a Saturn back in the day. Me and all my friends had a Dreamcast, though. That had a lot to do with Quake III: Arena, Unreal Tournament, and Marvel vs. Capcom. We'd play each other at those games for hours on end.

And I knew that Master System did well in Europe, but I thought most posters here were U.S., which the Master System was absolutely smashed by NES here.

Anyways, the whole point was naming a console and fond memory attached to it. And naming a console that not everyone and their grandma's have played like Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, Playstation, and XBox.

I think the difference between Saturn and Dreamcast sales is where the sales were. I reckon about 50-60% of Saturn sales were in Japan ,wheres the DC was more spread out, which is why it was a bit more common in the west.

Im not sure how many posters here are from Europe , but regardless , its a bit like if I said "the NES wasnt popular" because it wasnt too popular here, which is ignoring the fact that everybody and their grandma owned an NES in the US, and it was highely popular in Japan too.

Xbox was popular? Im guessing you mean in the US , because it was pretty uncommon here (I know one person who owned an Xbox when it was new).

Good idea for a thread though .

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TerragonSix

[QUOTE="TerragonSix"]

Darkman2007

you own an MSX? the thing has some nice games on it.

No I don't.. I have played a version of it though... Too bad it couldn't compete with the Commodore 64 in America you're right, it was a nice system but undermarketed and had too high of a price tag in America. :(

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Turbo Grafix 16

At the time it's Arcade coin-op to home console ports were the absolute best. example R-type look and played exactly like its arcade version. A big deal in 1989-92 era

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I recently got a Saturn and that's the only lesser system I have. I like it a lot so far, I've played Astal, Dragon Force, Galactic Attack, and Shining the Holy Ark so far. I've had limited play time with Atari 5200, Sega Master System, and TurboGrax-16.
A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Virtual Boy, by default.

Its the only one of those that I actually played.

Mario Tennis was a pretty good game.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

I mean stuff like:

• Atari 5200. 7800
  • Atari Jaguar, Jaguar CD
  • Colecovision
  • Intellivision
  • Atari Lynx
  • 3DO
  • Phillips CD-i
  • Sega Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Saturn, Game Gear
  • Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • TurboGrafx-16, TG-CD
  • Vectrex
  • Virtual Boy

Emerald_Warrior

out of the ones you mentioned:

The master system, such an underrated console, many great RPG's, action adventure games, action platformers and SMHPUS

the Saturn, many great SHMUPS, RPG's, fighters, racers and arcade ports

the Turbografix 16 awesome SHMUPS, neutopia, Dungeons and Dragons: Order of the Griffon, etc.

Neo Geo you very own arcade machine

these are my favourite ones, though all consoles have good games I'd like to play

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts
The Neo Geo is an awesome system. I mean, it lived(still living?) FOREVER. It has had GREAT games out for it. It's an arcade cabinet for the house. If only the games weren't $400/pop. Turbo grafx 16 was way underrated. It was truly beautiful and ahead of its time for its day. Those little disks were space age. Add in the fact the portable could play Turbo grafx 16 games, and you have a great system.
Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

It's gotta be the Panasonic 3DO for me. It was a pretty advanced system for its time. It was the system which started the whole Need For Speed game franchise (back when Electronic Arts knew how to make games that were worth playing)... so it gets major respect from me. Actually speaking about the first NFS game... I'm pretty sure that it had slightly better graphics from the ported PSX version.

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#28 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

My first choice would have been the Sega MAster System but since which systems are lesser than others aregeographic (SMS was popular in Sweden, where I grew up), I will go for Intellivision! Not just to be cool, and retro but because It's a system that was pushing the hardware at the time and had cool "Futuristic" features like the speech synthesizer, different controllers etc. I can still have fun with B17 bomber, Night Stalker, Tron, Space Battle etc. I wouldn't sit with one game for hours on end though, as I do with Fallout or Starcraft, but it's still fun.

Honorary mention to SNKs NEO GEO.

GLove093093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GLove093093
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
Definitely the Saturn. I haven't been able to find a TurboGrafx yet.
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts

intellivision. nuff said.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Oh man this is tough!

I would probably have to say either Game Gear or Intellivision. I loved both of these platforms!

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Out of any of the so called "Lesser" systems that you list, I only had the Saturn. I loved the system but It was lacking in a lot of things because Sega had a terrible habit of abandoning things before they even got started. I really wish I had a Neo Geo. The closest thing I got to playing one was at a pizza place on the Neo Geo MVS cabinet which was the originalNeo Geo anywayand thenthey turned itinto the AES console. Baseball Stars 2 was my favorite game. I have been shopping around for a MVS 4 slot cabinet. Maybe the 115 in one slot cabinet even. Hard to come by.