Which games reminds you of Blade Runner?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ZiggyStardust16
ZiggyStardust16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ZiggyStardust16
Member since 2005 • 1321 Posts

Just to talk about the best science fiction movie ever made in my opinion - anyway

Which games gives you a Blade Runner vibe? I mean in terms of atmosphere, setting, music etc?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Knights of the Old Republic. Everything seems mysterious. I'd say Deus Ex, but I've only heard about the game.
kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

Hmm, hard to say, But i'm going to go with Blade Runner :)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/bladerunner/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B0

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well, Blade runner is somewhat the definition of cyberpunk, so cyberpunk games in general would often fit, a few ones:

Syndicate series

Deus ex (just the first one, the 2nd one is sci fi)

I guess that FF7 kind of does have it...

Apart from those games if you like that kind of movies, you could try looking into the "ghost in the shell" anime series, there was a game too...

Cyberpunk is one of my favorite genres ^^ sadly they are very under represented in gaming sofar, likely because they deal with themes that are far from what most people expect, and like.

Often complex with a story that requires the player to pay attention.

I cant really think of any other games that might fit it, altho VTM:B does have a similar vibe.

These sofar has only been PC games Ive mentioned (with the exception of ff7), which is partly due to last gen I did not pick a console, and before that I had the PS1, which had a few cyberpunk games, but not alot... this console cycle sofar has been all but void of anything that requires 2 cohearent thoughts to be honest -.-

I guess Ill keep watching this thread, im sure someone is bound to have other titles they know of

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
The music in Mass Effect does.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Syndicate.

It's dark, gritty; it has neon signs and powerful people floating around in blimps. It's about as close to Blade Runner as you can get without actually being Blade Runner.

Most other games are fairly optimistic. Syndicate, like Blade Runner, is quite dystopian - you're part of a criminal syndicate attempting world domination over all the other ex-government agencies and corporations.

Hamitay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 Hamitay
Member since 2008 • 733 Posts

Assasins Creed.

He has a blade, and run fast :P

Bad joke I know

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Assasins Creed.

He has a blade, and run fast :P

Bad joke I know

Hamitay
Aaah! My brain is on fire! :P
Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

Syndicate

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Omikron has a very Blade Runner-like feel. Syndicate is a good pick as well.
Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

Timesplitters 2 had a Blade Runner esque level.

Here it is.

Other than that, the game was nothing like Blade Runner.

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

Snatcher.

SpazztikNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpazztikNinja
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The first levels of ODST remind me of Blade Runner.
wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wintermute0
Member since 2010 • 302 Posts

Well, Blade runner is somewhat the definition of cyberpunk, so cyberpunk games in general would often fit, a few ones:

Syndicate series

Apart from those games if you like that kind of movies, you could try looking into the "ghost in the shell" anime series, there was a game too...

Cyberpunk is one of my favorite genres ^^ sadly they are very under represented in gaming sofar, likely because they deal with themes that are far from what most people expect, and like.

I cant really think of any other games that might fit it, altho VTM:B does have a similar vibe.

These sofar has only been PC games Ive mentioned (with the exception of ff7), which is partly due to last gen I did not pick a console, and before that I had the PS1, which had a few cyberpunk games, but not alot... this console cycle sofar has been all but void of anything that requires 2 cohearent thoughts to be honest -.-

I guess Ill keep watching this thread, im sure someone is bound to have other titles they know of

Maddie_Larkin

I lol'd at "Blade Runner is pretty much the definition of cyberpunk." If Cyberpunk was one of your favorite genres, I'm suprised you don't know more about it. Have you ever read Neuromancer? Snowcrash? Anything by Bruce Sterling? Those books are more of "the definition" of Cyberpunk.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

Syndicate series

wintermute0

I lol'd at "Blade Runner is pretty much the definition of cyberpunk." If Cyberpunk was one of your favorite genres, I'm suprised you don't know more about it. Have you ever read Neuromancer? Snowcrash? Anything by Bruce Sterling? Those books are more of "the definition" of Cyberpunk.

I so love it when some people thinks they know everything, just because a poster did not list ever piece of cyberpunk litterature or amovie ever made.

And Blade runner is pretty much the difinition of cyberpunk, shall we go over the list?

Marginalised humans in a dark often dystopian future? check

filosofical question about what being human means, when machines reach the same point as humans? check

society where morals are outdated, and science is the only real law? check.

Questions about what is really real? check

Gee 4 cyberpunk themes in 2 hours... yes Bladerunner is anything but cyberpunk ^.-

Not to mention Blade Runner came out before neumancer ;)

you Sir, should read up on the basics of manners, or better yet, contribute to the TCs questions instead of going on your own little belittlement of people you know nothing about. and by the looks of it, read up on the difinition of cyberpunk.

wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wintermute0

[QUOTE="wintermute0"]

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

Syndicate series

Maddie_Larkin

I so love it when some people thinks they know everything, just because a poster did not list ever piece of cyberpunk litterature or amovie ever made.

And Blade runner is pretty much the difinition of cyberpunk, shall we go over the list?

filosofical question about what being human means, when machines reach the same point as humans? check

Gee 4 cyberpunk themes in 2 hours... yes Bladerunner is anything but cyberpunk ^.-

you Sir, should read up on the basics of manners, or better yet, contribute to the TCs questions instead of going on your own little belittlement of people you know nothing about. and by the looks of it, read up on the difinition of cyberpunk.

By your logic, if first = definition, then Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? would be the definition of "Cyberpunk". I mean, even Samuel R. Delany's "Nova" has those elements you mentioned in it, and that was published in the late 60s. I don't think that "first" equals the definition of something. Blade Runner is by all means subnpar when compared to the great Cyberpunk novels that came out after it [Neuromancer for one, which came out only 2 years after the movie. Burning Chrome, a short story, came out the same year that Blade Runner did, and only a month after it's release]. Cyberpunk is my favorite genre, and I like to think that I know alittle bit about it... since I have done my research and read a great deal. I never claimed that Bladerunner wasn't cyberpunk, because it is. I just don't think it's the definitive Cyberpunk story, there are several books that do what Bladerunner did, but better: Neuromacer is the best example of this, and there was even a Neuromancer game released a few years after the books release, so I guess I'm on topic a bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

[QUOTE="wintermute0"]

wintermute0

By your logic, if first = definition, then Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? would be the definition of "Cyberpunk". I mean, even Samuel R. Delany's "Nova" has those elements you mentioned in it, and that was published in the late 60s. I don't think that "first" equals the definition of something. Blade Runner is by all means subnpar when compared to the great Cyberpunk novels that came out after it [Neuromancer for one, which came out only 2 years after the movie. Burning Chrome, a short story, came out the same year that Blade Runner did, and only a month after it's release]. Cyberpunk is my favorite genre, and I like to think that I know alittle bit about it... since I have done my research and read a great deal. I never claimed that Bladerunner wasn't cyberpunk, because it is. I just don't think it's the definitive Cyberpunk story, there are several books that do what Bladerunner did, but better: Neuromacer is the best example of this, and there was even a Neuromancer game released a few years after the books release, so I guess I'm on topic a bit.

No it is not a case of first is more right, but nomatter how you look at it, the term cyberpunk was coined in 1983, and the difinition was pretty much everything what blade runner did, the tc asked for things like blade runner, which deals with basicly every serpiece of cyberpunk apart from 1 (namely hackers, and even that is left to the unknown). I found Neuromancer to miss the noir feel that cyberpunk usually has, but it is a very good book.

If then cyberpunk is your favorite genre, then why are you offended by what most fans of the genre consider the grandfarther of it? I am slightly puzzled about that.

And I do not consider books/movies that has elements of cyberpunk to be cyberpunk, mearly lending inspiration, so for me Blade runner was the first true Cyberpunk piece, with a space odyssey being the honerbly mention. But by difinition of themes and messages, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein would be the first cyberpunk, since most cyberpunk are influenced by it (ie. the themes cyberpunk often deals with).

*sigh* thread Hijacked, sorry TC. We will get back to your questions with feel and substance of that of Bladerunner...

As I said before, there are not alot of games, Ive been snooping a bit to see if I could find any more modern games released in the west that would fit the bill, but while there are several in Japan, the west leaves something to be desired.

I did however remember (altho in themes it does not match at all) But it does in feel... the max payne series, might be worth checking out, but they are somewhat distant to what you were seeking, but pacing, mood, and the feeling of an opressive dark city are there.

wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wintermute0

[QUOTE="wintermute0"]

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

Maddie_Larkin

No it is not a case of first is more right, but nomatter how you look at it, the term cyberpunk was coined in 1983, and the difinition was pretty much everything what blade runner did, the tc asked for things like blade runner, which deals with basicly every serpiece of cyberpunk apart from 1 (namely hackers, and even that is left to the unknown). I found Neuromancer to miss the noir feel that cyberpunk usually has, but it is a very good book.

If then cyberpunk is your favorite genre, then why are you offended by what most fans of the genre consider the grandfarther of it? I am slightly puzzled about that.

And I do not consider books/movies that has elements of cyberpunk to be cyberpunk, mearly lending inspiration, so for me Blade runner was the first true Cyberpunk piece, with a space odyssey being the honerbly mention. But by difinition of themes and messages, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein would be the first cyberpunk, since most cyberpunk are influenced by it (ie. the themes cyberpunk often deals with).

*sigh* thread Hijacked, sorry TC. We will get back to your questions with feel and substance of that of Bladerunner...

As I said before, there are not alot of games, Ive been snooping a bit to see if I could find any more modern games released in the west that would fit the bill, but while there are several in Japan, the west leaves something to be desired.

I did however remember (altho in themes it does not match at all) But it does in feel... the max payne series, might be worth checking out, but they are somewhat distant to what you were seeking, but pacing, mood, and the feeling of an opressive dark city are there.

You're the only person I've met who considers Bladerunner to be the grandfather of cyberpunk...

And also, the term Cyberpunk was coined in 1980, by Bethke. And here it is, if you want to read the short story titled "Cyberpunk" which was written in 1980.

depend3ncy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 depend3ncy
Member since 2009 • 623 Posts

Everybody who agrees that Bladerunner is one of the worst sci fi movies ever made is awesome.