Which criteria do you choose to sell your PS2 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

radiocreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 radiocreed
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts

The main reasons I want to sell my PS2 games are:

1) A new and better iteration just came out
2) I'll probably never play the old iteration again
3) They don't age well
4) Clear my shelf space

Money is not really a problem, I usually base my decisions on the above criteria, games that I'm thinking of parting with:

- GT4, I'm really shallow, it doesn't look that clean on my tv these days
- Mortal Kombat Deception, this game sucks, I should never have bought it even though I'm a big MK fan
- SSX on Tour, way too much aliasing on my HDTV, I'm hoping EA will release a new one soon
- Soul Calibur 3, the next one has Darth Vador and online!!!
- Tekken 5, more characters in the next one + online
- VF4 Evo: the next one has more characters + online

What do you guys think, are there any motivations for keeping older versions of a game?

yentar480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 yentar480
Member since 2007 • 5066 Posts
as i learned when i was younger, don't sell your games......unless you have no desire, what so ever, to ever play them again
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
If you sell them then selling it on eBay as a lot will earn you more money.
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
i usually only sell back games if i see that ther is 0 percent replay value on it, like if i can wait a year then enjoy playing it again i still keep it. also games with really long loading times like simpsons road rage, i sell back because even if the games good i cant stand waiting forever for games
spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#5 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

I sell them if they outright suck.

E.

I must do what I feel is right, of course.

garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#6 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts
I sell them or trade them in when I'm done with them. I'm not a "collector" type of person, I don't like clutter, especially when it comes moving time. I do miss some of my old consoles and games, but I have 8 consoles as it is right now. Plus, if you're not going to play them anymore, or you're going to play them very rarely, why not let someone else enjoy them? Games were meant to be PLAYED!!!
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

as i learned when i was younger, don't sell your games......unless you have no desire, what so ever, to ever play them againyentar480

same here. now I try to find some specific amiga games. so I wont sell my ps1 ps2 games ever

JOJO_AC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 JOJO_AC
Member since 2008 • 233 Posts
I only sell the games that were either too short or have little replay value, like Assassin's Creed. Might as well sell it now that it has some trade-in value
Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts

When hell freezes over, that's my criteria. You know, I considered selling my copy of FF7 to some kid in middle school after I was done with it for 20 bucks. 20 dollars. I almost traded in the original Silent Hill as well. Now, some people might say "well, you know sports games and fighting games don't really appreciate in value like RPGs and Action-Adventure games." Don't listen to them. Look up the price for a mint condition copy of Virtua Fighter for the Sega Saturn. I bet it isn't dirt cheap. No, it probably doesn't cost as much as Shining Force CD (Sega CD) in mint condition, but it's still worth money. There will always be collectors in the future that will pay a premium price for almost any game in your library. So, here's a lesson: Horde and protect.

Likewise, I can't imagine anyone feeling that various forms of media are clutter. In my opinion, literature, films, music, video games, photography, etc. cannot be clutter by their very nature. Clutter is garbage, things that will not appreciate in value or worth on any level at any point in time. I'm still pissed off at my mother and myself for sending my Genesis and like 15 games to my cousin who couldn't afford a PSX or find an older system. Haha, materialism.

Now MK on the other hand, should just be burned. No one is going to buy it from you, unless they are a masochist.

GANGSTA287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GANGSTA287
Member since 2005 • 967 Posts
If I lost intrest in them and they won't have any value in the future (like FFVII for example)...
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i took a big blow when selling my snes,, rule number one dont accept 70 dollars rule number two dont sell it ,, unless you have no desire to play it ever again unless you really need the money ,

i ended up 2 yrs after i sold it which was in 2003 - got another in 2005 i slowly but surely picked up most of the games i owned back then i just missing a few more, i also picked up over 80 other ones i liked but never played

and for those who did sell their console on ebay like say this saturn i got----- good luck on refinding it ,, its the best thing i do ,, see somthing i have desire to -play or collect i grab it, with no questions asked,

ever since then i never sold any of my games ,,, ive lost a few but thats beside the point,

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#12 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
hmm funny i have a pawn shop down the road or shall i say next town over, they sell all saturn games for 6 dollars unless marked and ive seen it there for 6 ,, i got my copy with my saturn i got off ebay for only 2499 plus shipping and handling ,, i also got daytona usa and virtua cop so thats a steal
garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#13 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts

Likewise, I can't imagine anyone feeling that various forms of media are clutter. In my opinion, literature, films, music, video games, photography, etc. cannot be clutter by their very nature. Clutter is garbage, things that will not appreciate in value or worth on any level at any point in time. I'm still pissed off at my mother and myself for sending my Genesis and like 15 games to my cousin who couldn't afford a PSX or find an older system. Haha, materialism.

YourChaosIsntMe

Anything can be clutter. Clutter is not necessarily garbage. Go to your nearest second hand store. All of that stuff WAS someone's clutter, but it's stuff that other people will need & buy. And yes media CAN be clutter. If I never got rid of any video games, magazines, books, VHS tapes, 8-track tapes (yeah i'm old), cassette tapes, CD's, newspapers, etc... that I've ever had, I wouldn't have room in my house to move. Not to mention, moving across the country a couple times tends to weed out anything you don't use.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with collecting stuff, that would be silly. But it's not for me. As much as I loved my old games, I'm not going to throw them in a box in a corner somewhere hoping someday they may be collectors items. I'd rather let others enjoy them, and give myself some extra space. The same with books. If I have no plans on reading a book a second time, I won't keep it. A lot of people keep all the books they've read. My brother does this, and he has a library, that admittedly looks pretty cool and sophisticated. But we know he's not going to read them again, except maybe a few.

Now, if you think you're going to want to play them again, even if it's way down the road, that's a different story. Or even if you just like collecting games, like comic books or baseball cards, that's cool. But some people kind of remind me of that stereotypical little kid who will hold on to a ball even though he doesn't want to play with it, just so no-one else can play with it either.

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
I WILL never sell em i will keep them and keep them until 200000 years
Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts
I don't buy many games to begin with. I generally just sell games when I become bored with them.
Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts
[QUOTE="YourChaosIsntMe"]

garey017

Anything can be clutter. Clutter is not necessarily garbage. Go to your nearest second hand store. All of that stuff WAS someone's clutter, but it's stuff that other people will need & buy. And yes media CAN be clutter. If I never got rid of any video games, magazines, books, VHS tapes, 8-track tapes (yeah i'm old), cassette tapes, CD's, newspapers, etc... that I've ever had, I wouldn't have room in my house to move. Not to mention, moving across the country a couple times tends to weed out anything you don't use.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with collecting stuff, that would be silly. But it's not for me. As much as I loved my old games, I'm not going to throw them in a box in a corner somewhere hoping someday they may be collectors items. I'd rather let others enjoy them, and give myself some extra space. The same with books. If I have no plans on reading a book a second time, I won't keep it. A lot of people keep all the books they've read. My brother does this, and he has a library, that admittedly looks pretty cool and sophisticated. But we know he's not going to read them again, except maybe a few.

Now, if you think you're going to want to play them again, even if it's way down the road, that's a different story. Or even if you just like collecting games, like comic books or baseball cards, that's cool. But some people kind of remind me of that stereotypical little kid who will hold on to a ball even though he doesn't want to play with it, just so no-one else can play with it either.

Touche on the kid holding on to the baseball. I have a friend that despises JRPGs, but holds on to his copy of Xenogears (and doesn't let anyone borrow it). So you do make an extremely valid point. A lot of people do seem to collect and horde.

I think you misinterpreted the portion of my post that you quoted. I was specifically referring to myself. Not to sound pompous, but I do have impecable taste in film, video games, music, etc. a lot of things go into collecting such items, building a library, narcissism, the "looking glass self-image," etc. I also made a statement that was far too general...I myself have trashed or donated various magazines, cassette tapes, and VHS tapes (and even a few video games...like Bubsy). One of the reasons many gamers collect their games, conscious or not, is because there really isn't a single organization or group that archives video game material (like the Library of Congress or the U.S. library system). My statement is also too generalized in hindsight given the culture we live in. As it related to me exclusively, it may not be generalized, but the average person purchases media for short-term entertainment. In a culture of consumerism, all forms of media are succeptable to commodification, which dilutes their purpose and worth. So it's really not as static as I asserted in my original post. It's certainly variable. If we're considering timeless classics (I'm sure I don't need to list them), then they can and should be collected, but the games many people purchase for entertainment don't really need to be collected. The same can be said for film or music. I don't believe this is the case with literature. I, like your brother, enjoy building a library, though it does come off as pompous and arrogant, to be sure. You're absolutely right about what that library is really worth too. I'll certainly read the works of J.K. Rowling and Ray Bradbury again and again, but will I ever actually read Sartre's Situations or The Federalist Papers again? I didn't even want to read them cover to cover the first time through. I just keep them there to let other people know that I'm more intelligent than they are, a product of my own self-doubt, obviously. If others did not know what I have accomplished in academia, then what did I really achieve? The collection of literature really is an arrogant venture.

Anyway, I digress. I do agree that for many people, anything can be clutter, but as the statement applies to me, I tend to purchase and collect only the most accomplished games which I do enjoy playing again (for example, I just finished Resident Evil 2 for the 8th time a couple months ago). Some of these games will also be worth money in the future. Will I sell them? Probably not. It's certainly different for other people, as you said, GT4 is looking dull now in comparison to what is currently being offered. I myself feel that this alone lends GT4 a certain degree of character. When I'm 60, I'm sure I'll prefer the first four GTs because of what they remind me of. GT5 will never consume me like past iterations have, regardless of how good it is. I simply will not have the time to allow it to do so.

Some people have said you'll regret selling off these old items, but maybe there's something ascetic about parting with them? But now we're touching upon how the human species applies an inordinate amount of importance or worth on various items in our vain attempts to disassociate ourselves with the inevitable outcome of our lives. Sometimes we forget what will become of us. Said collection extends our lives the very same way that accomplishment may do so. It's the unconscious application of our very selves into the material possessions that we acquire throughout life. Maybe you're the most informed and rational? After all, how do possessions, regardless of their artistic merit, lend purpose to life?

Now I kind of feel inadequate.