When will the next generation begin?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lsesrekmsa66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 lsesrekmsa66
Member since 2008 • 107 Posts
I have been looking at posts about the next console generation of gaming and i am scared. I was planning on buying a ps3 in about a week, but hear im told that the "xbox 720" and "ps4" will come out likely in 2010?!!!!! If that is the case, im not dishing out $400 bucks just to be told the next day i need another $400. thats nuts. So please tell when you think the next gen will begin and tell why you think so.
lsesrekmsa66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 lsesrekmsa66
Member since 2008 • 107 Posts
please reply. i dont wanna be ripped off!!!
FlameBeast4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FlameBeast4000
Member since 2004 • 671 Posts

I heard that the next gen isn't coming til the next elder scrolls comes out, the person I heard this from also said that that won't be until 2013. I don't know if this is true or not, but it could be true.

Avatar image for alwayspureblood
alwayspureblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alwayspureblood
Member since 2008 • 872 Posts
Go with your plan and get your PS3 next week, next gen will not becoming as soon as 2010 don't worry. People just like to speculate.
infamous_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 infamous_27
Member since 2008 • 857 Posts
it wont be until 2013- 2017 because the current generation hardware is created to last a long time
John-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 John-08
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts

it wont be until 2013- 2017 because the current generation hardware is created to last a long timeinfamous_27

If thats true thats fantastic.

I was expecting like 2011 all the new consoles will come out

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
I think 2012.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

if sony continues their 6 year period; 1994 ps1-2000 ps2-2006 ps3 ; ps4 probably will come in 2012

sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
trakem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 trakem
Member since 2002 • 3859 Posts
Hard to say when the next generation is going to happen, but I can't say 2010 happening. 2012 seems to be the most believable estimate I've seen. Maybe 2013. Hard to say. In any event, Sony continues to support their platforms long after they've rleased their next one.
Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
Think about the last generation and their lengths. Every one was about 5-6 years. The Xbox 360 was the first of this gen and it came out in 05 so this fall will be the third aniversery of that but the PS3 and Wii came out 2 years ago this fall. So I would say in about 3 to 4 more years. It may not seem like very long but believe it or not we are getting closer to our half way point of this generation if previous patterns keep.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
You don't have anything to worry about. We probably won't see any new consoles until 2012.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

2012ish

Information will probably start coming in long before that though.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leper-messiahs
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

2012ish

Information will probably start coming in long before that though.

Alter_Echo

Scary, imagine how much better PC graphics will be by then? PC is already a ways ahead of current consoles, let alone 2010 - 2012.

NYCKing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NYCKing87
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Imo, previous patterns won't come into play and it'll be a long time before we see the new generation of consoles come. 2012 is just too soon.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If you get two years of enjoyment and your money's worth from the purchase, why would it not be worth your time and money just to get one now even if it is being replaced in 2010? Plus, that is the "earliest" that the Xbox 360 can be replaced, the PlayStation 3 is going to last longer (because of this "potential" they keep talking about) and the fact that MS is going to want to be first again.

I bought a $300 20GB 360 Pro and have already got my money's worth in just under a month. Dead Rising (four play throughs, plus more stuff to unlock later), Mass Effect (nearly two play throughs with two more lined up),ForzaMotorsport 2 (best and most enjoyable racing sim I've played in my life), N+ (most creative and quirky fun platformer I've played in my life), Devil May Cry 4(best action game I've played in my life)... and I expect the experiences to only get better from here. Especially considering how Rock Band 2, Fable 2, Resident Evil 5, Bayonetta and a ton of other games are coming out in the near future.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox
it wont be until 2013- 2017 because the current generation hardware is created to last a long timeinfamous_27

A "long time" being what exactly? The PS3's GPU was outdated by nVidia's G8 before the console was even released. I only can hope the technology gets replaced quicker so we can get more evolutionary games like Mass Effect and Dead Rising next generation that improve on things made this generation.

Imo, previous patterns won't come into play and it'll be a long time before we see the new generation of consoles come. 2012 is just too soon.NYCKing87

I do hope they do... because the consoles are already becoming very dated looking when compared to their PC counterparts. Look at Mass Effect. It's a great looking game on 360 but has some performance issues due to the limitations of the hardware. On PC not only does it look a lot better but it runs smoothly without performance issues.

We've probably seen already the maximum capabilities of the current-gen hardware... and that will perhaps "last" developers another 2 or 3 years at most. PC graphics in two years are going to be phenomenally ahead of consoles and with PC popularity already rising and consoles declining world-wide... that isn't too good for consoles.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
PS3 has a lot of life left in it. Plus Sony will try and keep it around as long as they can to get the most of their money out of it. Hopefully console generations will start lasting longer, especially because of costs.
leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 leper-messiahs

PS3 has a lot of life left in it. Plus Sony will try and keep it around as long as they can to get the most of their money out of it. Hopefully console generations will start lasting longer, especially because of costs.Foolio1

The PS3 has no more life then the 360, and both are already outdated comared to even mid range lower cost PC's now.

69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
I don't care. We've only just entered our current generation, Start enjoying this generation before thinking about anything else.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

[QUOTE="Foolio1"]PS3 has a lot of life left in it. Plus Sony will try and keep it around as long as they can to get the most of their money out of it. Hopefully console generations will start lasting longer, especially because of costs.leper-messiahs

The PS3 has no more life then the 360, and both are already outdated comared to even mid range lower cost PC's now.

And computers become outdated soon after you buy them, what's your point? What I was trying to say is that both Microsoft and Sony took large financial hits when they released their consoles and now that they're finally able to make decent money off them I doubt they would want to go all the way back to square one with a new machine any time soon.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="infamous_27"]it wont be until 2013- 2017 because the current generation hardware is created to last a long timefoxhound_fox

A "long time" being what exactly? The PS3's GPU was outdated by nVidia's G8 before the console was even released. I only can hope the technology gets replaced quicker so we can get more evolutionary games like Mass Effect and Dead Rising next generation that improve on things made this generation.

Imo, previous patterns won't come into play and it'll be a long time before we see the new generation of consoles come. 2012 is just too soon.NYCKing87

I do hope they do... because the consoles are already becoming very dated looking when compared to their PC counterparts. Look at Mass Effect. It's a great looking game on 360 but has some performance issues due to the limitations of the hardware. On PC not only does it look a lot better but it runs smoothly without performance issues.

We've probably seen already the maximum capabilities of the current-gen hardware... and that will perhaps "last" developers another 2 or 3 years at most. PC graphics in two years are going to be phenomenally ahead of consoles and with PC popularity already rising and consoles declining world-wide... that isn't too good for consoles.

Don't blame the fact that Mass Effect X360 is sloppy on the hardware. Bioware rushed out the game unfinished and unpolished (unsurprisingly, it is the first Bioware Xbox game which didn't have a demo) to make Christmas and MS let them.

to0go0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 to0go0d
Member since 2008 • 53 Posts

if sony continues their 6 year period; 1994 ps1-2000 ps2-2006 ps3 ; ps4 probably will come in 2012

TheLegendKnight

He is extremely right, they have been having 6 year patterns.. So there will probobly be a new sony system in late/early 2012, but we will be hearing of the system long before then lol. 8)

Crystall3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Crystall3d
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
3 dimensional goggles will be out by that time , bye bye flat screens
to0go0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 to0go0d
Member since 2008 • 53 Posts

3 dimensional goggles will be out by that time , bye bye flat screensCrystall3d

Nice consumption, you'r probobly right lol :P.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox
Don't blame the fact that Mass Effect X360 is sloppy on the hardware. Bioware rushed out the game unfinished and unpolished (unsurprisingly, it is the first Bioware Xbox game which didn't have a demo) to make Christmas and MS let them.CarnageHeart

Considering what the 360 is capable of, the fact that BioWare has updated it since it's release and that I didn't play it until a couple weeks ago shows me personally that it must be the 360 hardware's limitations that are preventing the game from running better. It is a fantastic looking game for the hardware it is running on and the performance issues are nearly non-detrimental.

I am sure if the performance issues were fixable, they would have corrected them by now. BioWare doesn't let things like this sit unfixed.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I fully expect next gen to hit in 2010, they are already in development of the new Nintendo and the new Microsoft console. However thats still two years away and many of these systems offer nice backwards compatibility with their preivious systems so they are worth the investment.
leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 leper-messiahs

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="infamous_27"]it wont be until 2013- 2017 because the current generation hardware is created to last a long timeCarnageHeart

Don't blame the fact that Mass Effect X360 is sloppy on the hardware. Bioware rushed out the game unfinished and unpolished (unsurprisingly, it is the first Bioware Xbox game which didn't have a demo) to make Christmas and MS let them.

ME is not the only game with FPS issues on the consoles, GTA IV and many games now are at their limit. UT3 is the best consoles can do, and that engine is already looked fairly dated compared to graphics on PC, the engine itself looks better on PC. The hardware in the 360 is NOT very powerful at all by todays standards. Hell, you cannot even use AA in the U3 engine on consoles.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 leper-messiahs
[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"]

[QUOTE="Foolio1"]PS3 has a lot of life left in it. Plus Sony will try and keep it around as long as they can to get the most of their money out of it. Hopefully console generations will start lasting longer, especially because of costs.Foolio1

And computers become outdated soon after you buy them, what's your point? What I was trying to say is that both Microsoft and Sony took large financial hits when they released their consoles and now that they're finally able to make decent money off them I doubt they would want to go all the way back to square one with a new machine any time soon.

Bull, you obviously know nothing about hardware, if you know what hardware to buy, a PC will last 1.5-2 years before you have to worry about upgrading, and even then it is dirt cheap.