When does a rpg stop being an rpg and become an action game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jayz96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jayz96
Member since 2004 • 231 Posts

Is this even possible or is there a limit one can go before an rpg turns into a complete action game? I ask this because I am a big fan of mass effect and in the traditional sense it an third person shooter like gears of war, but it contains a level of depth that action games don't have. It is a strange thing to me and I could use a lil help.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

It happens when you take out the role playing?? Since in action games you are playing a character that does not have a level associated with him and there is no character development.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

When? Simple..when your own skills becomes more important in deciding the outcome of suituations than the skills and stats of your character. This is when it stops being rpg and turns into action game

Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

I don't know it is a weird question interesting I was just thinking star ocean in battle and dynasty warriors are quite simpilar but i would'nt say dynasty warriors is a RPG sure you Lvl up but its not an RPG, for me an RPG has to have a kinda Lvl system and emm I don't know its a hard question

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

Look at Oblivion. Just barely an RPG and more like an Action/Adventure game. Still a good game, just not a very good RPG game.

PimpiNbananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 PimpiNbananas
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts

Bioshock had RPG elements inplementedt into it but still its a FPS, Fallout3 is suppost to be an RPG but felt like an action game

FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FishSquared
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts

When? Simple..when your own skills becomes more important in deciding the outcome of suituations than the skills and stats of your character. This is when it stops being rpg and turns into action game

AdrianWerner
This. If you take out the Role Playing portion of the game. Many titles today are considered RPGs by fans but just simply aren't.
Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

When the game becomes alot more linear.

Dasengaor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dasengaor
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts
When the role-playing is removed, and the game ceases to be turned-based. Remove the last part half of the previous sentence, and you get a strategy game.
Dasengaor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dasengaor
[QUOTE="FishSquared"] This. If you take out the Role Playing portion of the game. Many titles today are considered RPGs by fans but just simply aren't.

Very few games currently on the market can be considered anything close to RPGs, and even those few games are not RPGs in the true sense, but bastardizations of the original concept. There are a few freeware RPGs that are truly RPGs, but they're of middling quality at best (and I don't remember their names).
Dasengaor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dasengaor
Also, levels do not make an RPG, and are not a feature of RPGs. Levels are statistics, which exist in all games, though not visibly. To define a genre by a trait that exists in all video games is stupid, short-sighted, and incorrect.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Is this even possible or is there a limit one can go before an rpg turns into a complete action game? I ask this because I am a big fan of mass effect and in the traditional sense it an third person shooter like gears of war, but it contains a level of depth that action games don't have. It is a strange thing to me and I could use a lil help.

jayz96
There's always been a group of people who say, "well technically every game is a RPG". I've disagreed with this because there are things that are in games labeled as "RPG" that are lacking in every other genre... things like real deal character development, well executed stories (even if they are cliche) and really just paying attention to all the things about a game that aren't action related. RPGs tend to nail that. But in my mind, I want RPGs to die. There's no reason why a a shooter can't have a good story, can't have interesting characters, can't have stat progression, etc. There's no reason why a game like Devil May Cry, God of War can't have this stuff either. Hell, I'd argue there's no reason why a fighter can't have this stuff. So many real-time RPGs have combat that's the same pace as a fighter, beat-em up or shooter, but the combat would be the worst fighter, beat em up, or shooter ever made. Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia are two modern examples of this. The combat in these game is fast paced like a beat em up, but it's just poorly done. If they could team up with like a Team Ninja and keep 100% of the RPG stuff, still keep spells, still keep all the Fire > Water > Ground > Wind, Light > Dark, still keep the deep story, still keep armor attributes and weapon attributes, still keep the inventory, still keep the characters, still keep the towns and all of that stuff, but your dungeons and boss fights are as solid as the games Team Ninja makes (Fighter and Beat Em Up) with the pacing and all the great things about those combat system... to me you'd simultaneously make like the best Fighter/Beat Em Up and the Best realtime RPG.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

a game stops being a role playing game when it losses the atmosphere that an RPG has.

actiongamesplace emphasis on adrenaline and combat, generally the story is weak (at least in comparision to a good RPG)

the length of a game isnt really an indicator. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a fairly short RPG (15-20 hours) and is fairly linear, but its an amazing RPG.

RPGs place emphasis on story and the combat is slower paced and less of a rush

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

A RPG becomes more of an action game when it is linear as opposed to open-ended. A good example of this would be a JRPG. You spend the majority of a JRPG in melee combat, whereas with an open-ended RPG you are allowed to extend the actual role-playing aspect of the genre. You cannot in all truthfulness role-play within a JRPG.

In Oblivion, you can actually role-play. For example, one can (1) totally ignore the Main Quest, and (2) if you desired to simply be an alchemist who gathered plants, made potions, and sold them to merchants, you can actually accomplish that inOblivion.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

Look at Oblivion. Just barely an RPG and more like an Action/Adventure game. Still a good game, just not a very good RPG game.

Jekken6
Especially juxtaposing Oblivion with Morrowind. Morrowind is a great example of an RPG.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I think it's erroneous to try to narrow some games down to a single genre. But I still think there can be a line drawn. BioShock, for instance, feels like a first person shooter with role-playing elements. The primary point of the game is to fight, and the primary determination of who wins in a fight is whoever uses the real-time combat system more effectively to destroy the opponent. There are also relatively few elements of role-playing besides trying to power your character's abilities... no conversation system, not a huge number of branching choices that might be a nod to WRPGs, and no defined character that might be a nod to JRPGs... it just seems to have the role-playing elements to supplement the action. Mass Effect, on the other hand, feels like a role-playing game with shooter elements. You spend a lot of time customizing your character, defining what sort of fighter he or she is, what sort of person in the world he or she is, what choices you will make, and what cconsequences... combat feels very much like an extension of how you develop your character, and it allows you time to pause and contemplate your tactical execution. If you examine games individually, I think you can see with relative clarity what genre(s) they fall into.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

Although there are some absurdly linear RPG's out there (mostly JRPG's), I think RPG's have a more fleshed-out sense of exploration than action games and they focus more on character customization and character development (action games can focus on these things, but they usually don't do it as elaborately). I think what distinguishes Fallout 3 (an RPG) from Bioshock (an action game) is that Bioshock doesn't have the sense of scale that Fallout does even if you can upgrade your character in an RPGish way. It doesn't have the same amount of freedom and you don't have as much autonomy in Bioshock when it comes to your character and your actions. There's a clear path and you follow it in Bioshock, whereas you're left to your own devices in Fallout 3.

As far as those absurdly linear JRPG's are concerned (Final Fantasy X is a good example), the combat systems, storytelling and character development is really the only think that makes them RPG-like. IMO, these kind of games arelinear, are limited, and hold your handto the point that they are much less of a "roleplaying" experience than games like Fallout. In fact, I only like a few JRPG's, Skies of Aracadia (which is one my all time favorite games) being one of them. I also love Valkyria Chronicles, but it's an strategy RPG and thus a different beast all together.

jayz96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jayz96

Well I see your point, but didint devil may cry four have to level up your weapons and skill? If by the logic of some that makes DMC 4 an rpg and that is something i can say is not true. Well thanks for help, I guess it will go down as an Unsolved Mystery :o

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

hmm... I would say "when you lose the freedom to make your own choices, (and I am NOT talking about being good or evil). And when stats becomes an afterthought (which ironicly puts Mass effect in that category for me :S).

when you can not direct the evolvement of the character you choose, it will at best of times be a Diablo kind of thing, and at worst of times pretty much be an actiongame with some stats.

Also I think Pacing has a place in the destinction, for me a True RPG is a slower paced, when you explore, learn about the world, understands it, and becomes a part of it like a single part of a much larger picture, where you start to think based on the input you get from the world. (Horror games tend to share this part)

Actiongames a fast furious, and often very story light... Bioshock for me was no where Near an Rpg, you had no choice (shoot all that moves) nor did it present a world you felt a part of, I had a huge disconnect with my character and the world around him.

Oblivion kinda bridge this gap for me, it felt like a very light RPG, and a very Light Actiongame, mixed with an adventure game, but it still retained most of the above.

todsnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 todsnet
Member since 2003 • 426 Posts

The moment you put it in the disk drive...lol

rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts
When you do not have to interact with other characters in order to kill them.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Senor_Kami
It's always kinda funny to me when people say JRPGs aren't really role playing games... and the reasoning is that it's because you're playing a role.
jayz96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jayz96

wow :lol:

jayz96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jayz96
to the person who said as soon as u put it in the hard drive
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Oilers99
It's always kinda funny to me when people say JRPGs aren't really role playing games... and the reasoning is that it's because you're playing a role.Senor_Kami
It kind of ignores the fact that genre titles are often misnomers, for one.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#26 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
It's always kinda funny to me when people say JRPGs aren't really role playing games... and the reasoning is that it's because you're playing a role.Senor_Kami
isn't that backwards? people are saying that they are RPG's because you're playing a role?
orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

i think the border is where hitting an enemy with a direct attack is dictated by probability

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#28 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I think a game can only be considered an RPG if it has several features commonly found in RPGs, and said features are emphasized. The following are things that I feel should be in a game if you want to call it an RPG: Statistics that are represented by numbers Most games have some form of statistics, but the difference between an RPG and a pure action game is that an RPG will show you, numerically, just how strong you are. Your progress is determined by how high your stats are, rather than any form of physical skill on the part of the player This one really depends on the game since there are some exceptions, but generally, in an RPG you get better when your stats are higher than your opponent's. RPGs don't work well as competitive multiplayer games. Orion_52 made a good point about strikes being determined by probability rather than pure collision detection (which I think is silly in an action-based RPG). Deliberate pacing RPGs are typically slow-paced, which means they're not very exciting to watch, but they're fun to play (kinda like certain sports). RPGs are slow-paced because the player spends much of his time customizing their characters, talking to NPCs, and engaging in turn-based combat. Again, there are some exceptions. Because of the slow pacing, RPGs are typically longer than games in other genres. Heavy narrative This ties in to deliberate pacing. There is more emphasis on story in RPGs than in any other genre. That's not to say that stories in games of other genres aren't good, because they definitely can be good. But in RPGs, you spend a lot of time reading or listening to the story as much as actually playing it.
BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts

When the game becomes alot more linear.

Oakfront
yeah and when you have less control over the story
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Senor_Kami
[QUOTE="King9999"]I think a game can only be considered an RPG if it has several features commonly found in RPGs, and said features are emphasized. The following are things that I feel should be in a game if you want to call it an RPG: Statistics that are represented by numbers Most games have some form of statistics, but the difference between an RPG and a pure action game is that an RPG will show you, numerically, just how strong you are. Your progress is determined by how high your stats are, rather than any form of physical skill on the part of the player This one really depends on the game since there are some exceptions, but generally, in an RPG you get better when your stats are higher than your opponent's. RPGs don't work well as competitive multiplayer games. Orion_52 made a good point about strikes being determined by probability rather than pure collision detection (which I think is silly in an action-based RPG). Deliberate pacing RPGs are typically slow-paced, which means they're not very exciting to watch, but they're fun to play (kinda like certain sports). RPGs are slow-paced because the player spends much of his time customizing their characters, talking to NPCs, and engaging in turn-based combat. Again, there are some exceptions. Because of the slow pacing, RPGs are typically longer than games in other genres. Heavy narrative This ties in to deliberate pacing. There is more emphasis on story in RPGs than in any other genre. That's not to say that stories in games of other genres aren't good, because they definitely can be good. But in RPGs, you spend a lot of time reading or listening to the story as much as actually playing it.

That's a pretty good summation. Basically every game labeled as an WRPG or JRPG fits into this. I don't think that just because one is a choose your own adventure and the other provides you with an adventure to experience (ie my playing a role statement), one is an RPG and the other isn't. Especially with Betheseda game where the storyline is usually non-existent or crap. That's failing on a major thing that RPGs are supposed to offer vs other genres.
malstyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 malstyne
Member since 2004 • 61 Posts

I'd say somewhere shortly after 2005.

When character sheets went from 12 or more attributes to 2 or 3 and skill choices went from 250 to 10 or 20 and 90% of those were the same skill with increased numbers.

Decrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Decrate
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts
i thought fallout 3 had a great storyline and with each character you talked to you really felt part of the wasteland. as far as oblivion, each guild had its own story that was very enjoyable, the main story is kind of plain and obvious (the world will end, you must save it ). as for what makes a game rpg? if its made by either Square Enix, Bioware, or Bethesda Softworks then its probably an rpg, and a great one to! those are my 3 favorite game companies
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Oilers99
[QUOTE="King9999"]I think a game can only be considered an RPG if it has several features commonly found in RPGs, and said features are emphasized. The following are things that I feel should be in a game if you want to call it an RPG: Statistics that are represented by numbers Most games have some form of statistics, but the difference between an RPG and a pure action game is that an RPG will show you, numerically, just how strong you are. Your progress is determined by how high your stats are, rather than any form of physical skill on the part of the player This one really depends on the game since there are some exceptions, but generally, in an RPG you get better when your stats are higher than your opponent's. RPGs don't work well as competitive multiplayer games. Orion_52 made a good point about strikes being determined by probability rather than pure collision detection (which I think is silly in an action-based RPG). Deliberate pacing RPGs are typically slow-paced, which means they're not very exciting to watch, but they're fun to play (kinda like certain sports). RPGs are slow-paced because the player spends much of his time customizing their characters, talking to NPCs, and engaging in turn-based combat. Again, there are some exceptions. Because of the slow pacing, RPGs are typically longer than games in other genres. Heavy narrative This ties in to deliberate pacing. There is more emphasis on story in RPGs than in any other genre. That's not to say that stories in games of other genres aren't good, because they definitely can be good. But in RPGs, you spend a lot of time reading or listening to the story as much as actually playing it.

How about... opportunity for deliberate pacing? Usually, role-playing games can have combat sped up or slowed down based on the actions of the player. Even something like Tales of Symphonia or Mass Effect have the option to pause, contemplate, and issue very specific orders. If you playing it at "real-time", you play so because you choose to play it at that speed, and rush through combat, rather than slowing it down.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Explain. That didn't make sense.