When consoles go extinct...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoeTonks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 JoeTonks
Member since 2005 • 189 Posts

So my dreamcast broke today :( and as I was browsing ebay for a new one (well...new second hand one) it occured to me that eventually - maybe ten, maybe a hundred year time- the remaining dreamcasts will either be possessed by gaming aficiados who will never let it go, or have become such a rare commodity that the price to buy one will be astronomical. When this happens, how do we play dreamcast games?

The same could be said for any consoles; but whereas the PS was safe two generations ago with the introduction of backwards compatibility, this generation we're seeing considerable less attention payed to the games that were.

So what now? Will old xbox and ps2 (or further into the future 360 and ps3) games be emulated on PCs like the 8, 16 and 32 bit era ones have been?  Will third party manufacturers like Joytech introduce third party machines to play the old classics? Or will the hundreds of great games just fade away?

What do you think?

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

So my dreamcast broke today :( and as I was browsing ebay for a new one (well...new second hand one) it occured to me that eventually - maybe ten, maybe a hundred year time- the remaining dreamcasts will either be possessed by gaming aficiados who will never let it go, or have become such a rare commodity that the price to buy one will be astronomical. When this happens, how do we play dreamcast games?

JoeTonks
Ok, when you say that your Dreamcast broke down, do you mean a complete system failure? (chips fried, motherboard broke, or maybe it´s just the disc drive reader that finally gave up? ) Because, maybe if it is the last thing, you could get it repaired at a specialty store. Dreamcast was released in 1999, I don´think that in 2 years time they are gonna be more/less difficult to find that right now. As for 100 years from now...WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!? You and me both would already be dead, so who cares! It´s like caring nowadays for a pedal operated sewing machine.

So what now? Will old xbox and ps2 (or further into the future 360 and ps3) games be emulated on PCs like the 8, 16 and 32 bit era ones have been?  Will third party manufacturers like Joytech introduce third party machines to play the old classics? Or will the hundreds of great games just fade away?

What do you think?

Short answer, yes. As for older games fading into obscurity, that totally depends on the people who owns the original code. And I guess that it depends also of independent collectors who want to copy and upload the code for future access.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
All systems will eventually be emulated. Do you think there are many people still playing pong on their Tv right now. I bet hardly any. And sooner or later no one will be playing any games that are out even right now. People's expectations grow with each new generation. I remember at points with the N64 playing some games thinking "Wow these graphics are amazing. How are they ever going to top them".
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I hope that they keep the games of current- and past- gen consoles alive... last-gen consoles had A LOT of great games.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts

Basiclly game download services like Xbox Live arcade, Virtual Console, PSN, and Gametap. Eventually any game that anyone ever wanted to play will be available for download.

Of course there is always the illigal option...

mkearney_913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mkearney_913
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts
There will always be someone with the consol. Extinction will happen, but in a while from now. For now though, if you can't find a new one, just remember the good times you had with your Dreamcast and move on to something new.
trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 trylks
Member since 2005 • 1948 Posts

Maybe some people will be able to keep playing those old games of 100 years ago in their nintendo ziip with the virtual console after paying a too expensive price for those really old games that only some retro freaks want to keep playing.

I wouldn't be too worried for time passing over anything that can be stored in a digital medium, as video games are.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
most consoles will eventually be emulated or passed on to whoever but who would ever think that these consoles would be emulated, like the playstation for example its now emulated over the PSP and who would ever think that they would be a portable playstation like this a coupple of years ago
trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
most consoles will eventually be emulated or passed on to whoever but who would ever think that these consoles would be emulated, like the playstation for example its now emulated over the PSP and who would ever think that they would be a portable playstation like this a coupple of years ago
JoeTonks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 JoeTonks
Member since 2005 • 189 Posts

It would be nice to have the same definitiveness with games as you have for films. Whether VHS, DVD or HD-DVD/BluRay there will be constantly refined iterations of thousands of older films. With games we rarely see this, and when we do it can often leave much to be desired (random stabs in the dark make me think of the Final Fight game bundled with Streetwise which was poor quality, or how games such as Power stone and the original mario bros are ported to handhelds, which detract a lot from the TV console feel.

It kind of proves that videogames are considered a trivial medium by some; that theyre disposable entertainment whereas films are immortalised.Â