Whats up With Game-Spot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

th_0_mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 th_0_mm
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

I have found a few reviews lately that seem low compared to the excitement of the reviewer..eg saints row2, left 4 dead, banjo kazooie nuts & bolts.

have game spot made 8.5 the new 9? i mean i can understand them making it lower because of the caliber of games that are being churned out... but its a bit confusing hearing a reviwer rave about a game.. and then give it an 8.5.

also Why are there like hardly any PC reviews.... i dont mean to whine... but PCs are one of the most widely used platforms. and i as a pc user cant just read the 360 review and hope the pc one is the same..

does anyone agree.. im not meaning to take the crap outta game spot... i mean its my favorite website of all time.. but im just getting bugged at things like that

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="th_0_mm"]

I have found a few reviews lately that seem low compared to the excitement of the reviewer..eg saints row2, left 4 dead, banjo kazooie nuts & bolts.

have game spot made 8.5 the new 9? i mean i can understand them making it lower because of the caliber of games that are being churned out... but its a bit confusing hearing a reviwer rave about a game.. and then give it an 8.5.

also Why are there like hardly any PC reviews.... i dont mean to whine... but PCs are one of the most widely used platforms. and i as a pc user cant just read the 360 review and hope the pc one is the same..

does anyone agree.. im not meaning to take the crap outta game spot... i mean its my favorite website of all time.. but im just getting bugged at things like that

Well 8.5 is a good score, only fanboys whin when a game doesn't recieve a 9 or higher (it also doesn't help GS...that they gave GTA and MSG4 10's) Call of Duty WAW is really COD4 with WW2 weapons i that bad? Nope, but it shouldn't score higher then COD4 due to the "lack of originality" I heard they are understaff (hence the late reviews comming out lately) Left 4 dead is a amazing game ( GS isn't the only one to score it below a 9) , most reviewers think its a 8-9ish game.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
When I first saw the review on Fable II, I was a little disappointed that they just gave it the 8.5. Now that I own it, I think that it deserved that 8.5.
Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

An 8.5 is a very good score that only some games will get. An 8.5 means that it is a game that they recommend to others and that they will play for hours. 9.0s and higher are reserved for games that Gamespot feels will be remembered years later.

rigelblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#5 rigelblack
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

An 8.5 is a very good score that only some games will get. An 8.5 means that it is a game that they recommend to others and that they will play for hours. 9.0s and higher are reserved for games that Gamespot feels will be remembered years later.

Cody13_2012

Agree. 9+ is for Diablo, Zelda series, and other epic win games. xD

vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
I wish GameSpot would go back to their old rating system. The .5 scale can be confusing at times, because it really doesn't differentiate certain titles.
AmidstTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmidstTheLight
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts
I think that Gamespot has the best website when it comes to the critism of videogames (and probably every other thing as well). I think they sometimes give games around 8.5 scores because they see that the game is "great" and "shouldn't be missed", but had potential in certain areas to make an overall ideal game experience that the final product was missing.
SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts
Please remember, this forum isn't called "General GameSpot Discussion". Discussion of reviews is perfectly appropriate in context of the discussion of the game itself. The topic of this thread isn't the relative quality of the games, though, it's about the quality of the reviews, and as such isn't appropriate for this forum.