Whats the "J" in JRPG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DmanxPS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 DmanxPS2
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts

Topic

I've heard games like Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia called "JRPGs" Just wondering what the J stands for. Also, other games that aren't turn based like i remember from those two. Such as Oblivion, Mass Effect... is there a type of RPG that classifies them as well?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44376 Posts
The "J" stands for Japanese. Oblivion and Mass Effect are called WRPG's where the "W" stands for Western.
Halo773ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Halo773ER
Member since 2003 • 726 Posts
japanese
DmanxPS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DmanxPS2
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
ah ok, sweet thanks
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

And you can technically develop a JRPG outside of Japan. It's a reference to a style of role-playing design, rather than the country of origin. However, there are relatively few JRPG style games developed anywhere but Japan, so...

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts
Don't listen to these guys, it definitely does NOT stand for Japanese. It stands for jubino...cuz I made them.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Japanese man, heh
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jubino

Japanese man, hehToriko42

Wrong! Read above post, thank me later. It'll definitely save you some more embarassment down the road.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Japanese man, hehjubino

Wrong! Read above post, thank me later. It'll definitely save you some more embarassment down the road.

Yeah A LOT later :roll:

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jubino
[QUOTE="jubino"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Japanese man, hehcapthavic

Or now? Fine, don't believe me. Whatev. I'll just keep makin them and you'll just keep bein wrong. Works for me.

redfield_137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 redfield_137
Member since 2005 • 2269 Posts
[QUOTE="capthavic"][QUOTE="jubino"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Japanese man, hehjubino

Or now? Fine, don't believe me. Whatev. I'll just keep makin them and you'll just keep bein wrong. Works for me.

Actually, doesn't it stand for juicy. As in juicy melons....you know what I'm talkin' about.

limbleZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 limbleZZ
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

"joy"

because youre worth it

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
J stands for big eyes, bright colors, kid heros, and the same typical reused elements in yet another bland RPG... it also stands for Japanese. As for Obilvion and ME, a 'W' is normally on the front. The 'W' indicates: an attempt at real character models, grittiness, interesting plot lines not centered about a childrens tale... and it also stands for Western. That's how I view it.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

J stands for big eyes, bright colors, kid heros, and the same typical reused elements in yet another bland RPG... it also stands for Japanese. As for Obilvion and ME, a 'W' is normally on the front. The 'W' indicates: an attempt at real character models, grittiness, interesting plot lines not centered about a childrens tale... and it also stands for Western. That's how I view it.raahsnavj

Just to be fair, the "W" can also stand for "the same typical reused elements in yet another bland RPG."

Mr_Satch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mr_Satch
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]J stands for big eyes, bright colors, kid heros, and the same typical reused elements in yet another bland RPG... it also stands for Japanese. As for Obilvion and ME, a 'W' is normally on the front. The 'W' indicates: an attempt at real character models, grittiness, interesting plot lines not centered about a childrens tale... and it also stands for Western. That's how I view it.ASK_Story

Just to be fair, the "W" can also stand for "the same typical reused elements in yet another bland RPG."

Ouch. I try to over-look the flaws in both 'styles' and enjoy the unique benefits of each.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]J stands for big eyes, bright colors, kid heros, and the same typical reused elements in yet another bland RPG... it also stands for Japanese. As for Obilvion and ME, a 'W' is normally on the front. The 'W' indicates: an attempt at real character models, grittiness, interesting plot lines not centered about a childrens tale... and it also stands for Western. That's how I view it.Mr_Satch

Ouch. I try to over-look the flaws in both 'styles' and enjoy the unique benefits of each.

That's too positive. Why do that when you can simply hate both? :D