What's the point of replaying video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e190e6cd327
deactivated-57e190e6cd327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-57e190e6cd327
Member since 2015 • 231 Posts

Whenever I play a brand new game for the first time, I enjoy it. As for those where there are objectives to complete and such, I'd usually try and go for them all. Then, I complete it.

So... now what do I do? There's no point in replaying it, because I've already completed it, and I know where everything is and how everything plays.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Why do we re-read books or re-watch movies? We enjoy them enough to go back and relive that story or challenge.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e190e6cd327
deactivated-57e190e6cd327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57e190e6cd327
Member since 2015 • 231 Posts

Yeah, but the more you do something, the more the quality disappears. The first time you watch a movie, it's amazing. The second time, it's not so amazing, as you expect any jokes, plot details, and so on. The first time you read a book, you enjoy the buildup and the plot. The second time, though, you already know what's going to happen.

I'd rather have a lasting impression than to relive something that will detract from the quality if I do it again. It's like hearing the same joke repeatedly.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@chad_devore said:

Whenever I play a brand new game for the first time, I enjoy it. As for those where there are objectives to complete and such, I'd usually try and go for them all. Then, I complete it.

So... now what do I do? There's no point in replaying it, because I've already completed it, and I know where everything is and how everything plays.

Because we might have enjoyed the experience and adventure, like the characters and their interactions with each other.

In my humble opinion there simply aren't enough amazing games out there worthy of taking up the players time. I'd much rather re-live the experiences I enjoyed than agonize through something I dislike just for the sake of completing it. If I'm reading a book I don't like, I put it down. If I'm watching a movie I hate, I'll walk out of the theater. In contrast, I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings many times, watched the Star Wars movies many times, so why wouldn't I want to re-play my favorite video games many times?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@chad_devore said:

Yeah, but the more you do something, the more the quality disappears. The first time you watch a movie, it's amazing. The second time, it's not so amazing, as you expect any jokes, plot details, and so on. The first time you read a book, you enjoy the buildup and the plot. The second time, though, you already know what's going to happen.

I'd rather have a lasting impression than to relive something that will detract from the quality if I do it again. It's like hearing the same joke repeatedly.

I disagree. A lot of times when I re-play a game I enjoyed it's a much better experience than my first time because I'm more familiar with locations and scenarios, so I can enjoy them more by noticing things I missed the first time and appreciate the little details and such.

A lot of times you might forget significant parts of games that you haven't played in many years, and re-living them brings back enjoyable memories of the past, or it could give you a new perspective about a game you thought you had your mind made up about originally.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Sounds like you haven't been playing the right games, or you haven't been playing games long enough to start feeling nostalgic.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@megane said:

Sounds like you haven't been playing the right games, or you haven't been playing games long enough to start feeling nostalgic.

Agreed

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

What's the point of rewatching movies?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@chad_devore said:

Back in the day we had games with gameplay so good, you would actually play it again for the gameplay.